ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: NEW stadium construction
Y'all have to realize them not having bathrooms (or concessions) on the second level isn't because they didn't think they needed them there. It's because this place had to be finished in 9 months, and it's much easier to put that stuff on the ground level vice the upper concourses. I don't know if they can add second level bathrooms in future construction, but we all gotta realize the bathroom location is due to a concession for practicality.
09-03-2019 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(09-03-2019 09:22 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 09:17 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 09:13 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  After thinking about why the concession and bathroom lines were so long I think I may have figured it out. Its the NEZ.

The current NEZ has no services under it (bathrooms, concessions, etc.), which means 5000 people have to go to either sideline and use the bathrooms and concessions on the east and west side. With a new NEZ there will concessions and bathrooms under the stands which will alleviate people coming to the sidelines.

Another need to get the NEZ done asap. ODU has to find a way to get that done. Between the congestion and scoreboard issue. Its our highest priority

That's a good point and I wonder if most from the NEZ naturally went to the west side.

East side was just as bad as the West side. There was no appreciable difference.

Gotcha. Shame. Hopefully Aramark can work out whatever the logistics issue was for that. That's kind of what they do, concessions.
09-03-2019 11:18 AM
cbank Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Big Blue
(09-03-2019 11:02 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 10:10 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 09:55 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Its clear that ODU needs more food options on the concourse.

There is a lot to like about the new stadium. It looks and feels like a real college football stadium now, the seat comfort is a massive upgrade, the fact that they were able to make a relatively tiny stadium, by FBS standards, look and feel much larger, and the fact that it is a necessary start to building the program are a few, so I don't want to just make it sound like it is all negative, but the "huge upgrades" in concessions and amenities was vastly overstated in my opinion. Frankly, I would say that while the in seat experience is an enormous upgrade, the out of seat experience is less enjoyable for me. The food truck setup and kind of carnival atmosphere outside of the bowl was much nicer than the claustrophobic experience on the current concourse, and the blah Aramark concessions options are not as enjoyable as the food truck options to me. The ease of access to a bathroom, even if it was a porta-potty, was preferable to missing half a quarter to use the restroom now.

I know I am probably a minority, but I will miss some of the quaitness and quirkiness of the setup at Foreman. I won't miss the cramped seats and the small time feel of Foreman however. In the end, the new stadium was and is a necessity, and despite my gripes, it is a great first step in moving this program forward.

Yes. And other than the bathroom situation (no restrooms on the the second level was a huge mistake), everything else can be remedied if they keep an open mind, put in some effort and are open to suggestion.

1.Reposition some of the speakers (or maybe add some) so everyone can hear clearly, maybe add some sound proofing to fix the echos.

2. Hype up and synchronize the player intro properly.

3. Add more concession carts to the mid-level concourse.

4. Raise the scoreboard.

5. Add flat screens on the concourses so if people are waiting for food or bathrooms they still see the action.

6. Bring back the food trucks to remedy the crammed walkways, long lines and spread out the crowd more

7. Open more exits to leave the stadium after the game.

8. Improve the announcing.

9. Add more graphics and signage (loved what they did with the tarps honoring old players btw). I understand this is happening by the ECU game.

All of this can be done quickly, and would make a HUGE improvement without a ton of effort or costing a fortune.

Hopefully, we see a massive improvement in the next month as they can finally switch their focus from structural to concessions and creature comforts. I am still hopeful with all the room in the concourses that they bring more concessions to alleviate the main windows and that they can iron out all the quirks from the first test run.

I also think they need to add something to get the fans involved before the players run out. The " Lets's Go" by one side then " Monarchs" by the other needs to make a return in addition to the Howitzer then something else to make it unique to us. I was thinking the hum they did in The Wolf of Wall Street would be awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGEgY1c9d9M
09-03-2019 11:30 AM
Can't Tame the Lion Offline
Special Teams

(09-03-2019 11:11 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Y'all have to realize them not having bathrooms (or concessions) on the second level isn't because they didn't think they needed them there. It's because this place had to be finished in 9 months, and it's much easier to put that stuff on the ground level vice the upper concourses. I don't know if they can add second level bathrooms in future construction, but we all gotta realize the bathroom location is due to a concession for practicality.

You're correct about the timeline to some extent, but the real driver in the decision was cost - it was just too cost prohibitive to have restrooms and concessions on the second level.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 12:43 PM by Can't Tame the Lion.)
09-03-2019 12:40 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2019 12:40 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 11:11 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Y'all have to realize them not having bathrooms (or concessions) on the second level isn't because they didn't think they needed them there. It's because this place had to be finished in 9 months, and it's much easier to put that stuff on the ground level vice the upper concourses. I don't know if they can add second level bathrooms in future construction, but we all gotta realize the bathroom location is due to a concession for practicality.

That doesn't make it okay. If they made concessions due to time that ultimately hurt the stadium for years to come, those were bad decisions and they should have taken a different approach that didn't require a full rebuild in one off season. If they can address those issues in time by adding restrooms on the 2nd level and work out the concessions stuff, then it will all be fine.
09-03-2019 12:44 PM
Special Teams

I love the new stadium. What we did with our limited budget and abbreviated timeline is impressive and should not be minimized. Is it perfect? No. Can some little things be done to make improvements? Yes and several can be done this season or even before the next game.

This got me thinking about other stadium experiences that I have and none are perfect and many have the same or worse issues as our stadium. Here's some examples off the top of my head (some of you may have been at these games and can either corroborate or correct me)...

ECU - there was a very long line up narrow steps underneath the stadium to get up to our seats (ODU section). Must have taken at least 20mins to just walk up to our seats - made me think twice about leaving seats at halftime. Porto Johns in the concourse. There was no WiFi/phone service. Couldn't always understand the announcer in our section.

NC State - The first year we played at State the lines at the concessions were extremely long. I tried three times, but didn't want to miss any part of the game (we were playing well and in the game) so I passed. The next time we played there I waited in line at halftime and missed a good part of the third quarter.

VT - Just an overall uncomfortable game experience - bench seats, long walks up steps to seats, long walks to concessions just to find they were out of water (it was 500 degrees that day). Now that I think about it I remember being underwhelmed with the crowd noise - I didn't think it was a very loud stadium even during Enter Sandman. Announcer was annoying.

UVA (vs NC State and Pitt) - some concessions weren't open (lack of fans), but it was inconvenient to walk around to the other side of the stadium for a just a drink. Sound system was jacked up at the Pitt game - the announcer sounded like he was over at the baseball stadium. Parking is a major issue at UVA games.

At each of the above stadiums I remember walking down from our seat section to the concession stands and restrooms - similar to what we have to do in the new stadium. I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm sure I could find other things to complain about, if I tried, but my point is that other stadiums aren't perfect either and I had to stop and think about these inconveniences. In hindsight, they really didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game that much and I kind of expect such things.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 03:20 PM by Can't Tame the Lion.)
09-03-2019 01:17 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(09-03-2019 12:44 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

That doesn't make it okay. If they made concessions due to time that ultimately hurt the stadium for years to come, those were bad decisions and they should have taken a different approach that didn't require a full rebuild in one off season. If they can address those issues in time by adding restrooms on the 2nd level and work out the concessions stuff, then it will all be fine.

Its really not that big of a deal if there are no bathrooms on the second level. Just seemed like the concessions lacked and the merchandise store was a joke. Im sure that will change by ECU
09-03-2019 01:18 PM
VBMonarch11 Offline
Water Engineer

Do any of you know if there are plans to expand the usage of the video board? By that, I mean displaying more information. There appears to be seven different "blocks" on the east and west sides with only one showing the score and the other six being advertisements for "team monarch" partners. It would be great if they could utilize two additions blocks to show down and yards to go as well as intermittent stats. They would still give plenty of room for team partners since that just about the only thing the admin cares about!
09-03-2019 01:30 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2019 01:18 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 12:44 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Its really not that big of a deal if there are no bathrooms on the second level. Just seemed like the concessions lacked and the merchandise store was a joke. Im sure that will change by ECU

Agreed about the merch store. The few items they had were too far away to see and there were no visible prices. The one outside of the stadium under the inflatable was much better. I stopped by the Walmart on the way into town and was pretty impressed by the amount of ODU stuff they had. It wasn't all in one location in the store though, so you have to check out clothing, stationary, and lawn/garden to see it all, and I may have still missed some. Lots of ODU flags flying in the store.
09-03-2019 01:30 PM
Special Teams

(09-03-2019 01:30 PM)VBMonarch11 Wrote:  Do any of you know if there are plans to expand the usage of the video board? By that, I mean displaying more information. There appears to be seven different "blocks" on the east and west sides with only one showing the score and the other six being advertisements for "team monarch" partners. It would be great if they could utilize two additions blocks to show down and yards to go as well as intermittent stats. They would still give plenty of room for team partners since that just about the only thing the admin cares about!

I would think so. There probably just wasn't enough time to program everything and test it. I would also think that they grabbed some game day footage last Saturday to use going forward.
09-03-2019 01:34 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I swear with some of you people, if I gave you a gold bar, you'd complain about it being too shiny. I judge what we have in today's stadium based on what we used to have. I was in W-216 and had no problem exiting down those narrow stairs. If I need to use the bathroom I go down to the bottom level and use it. If there are people in line I wait. We have many more bathrooms and concessions. A lot of people were using them because they were so hyped. As everyone gets to know the new facility, little kinks will be ironed out. As far as I'm concerned, what I saw Saturday night from a program only 10 years old was pretty damn good.
09-03-2019 02:55 PM
mane Offline
Water Engineer

(09-03-2019 02:55 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  I swear with some of you people, if I gave you a gold bar, you'd complain about it being too shiny. I judge what we have in today's stadium based on what we used to have. I was in W-216 and had no problem exiting down those narrow stairs. If I need to use the bathroom I go down to the bottom level and use it. If there are people in line I wait. We have many more bathrooms and concessions. A lot of people were using them because they were so hyped. As everyone gets to know the new facility, little kinks will be ironed out. As far as I'm concerned, what I saw Saturday night from a program only 10 years old was pretty damn good.

this. i'm not sure what everyone was expecting saturday night! i was in W211 and enjoyed every minute of the stadium experience. i expected things to not run as smoothly as it will in the future. the stadium isn't completely finished yet! it took the crews working up to the last minute just to get the stadium up to what it was on saturday! that's why i didn't even consider going to concessions and didn't use the restroom until after the game was over. harry told us weeks ago that there will be glitches and that it was a work in progress. i treated saturday night like a soft opening.
09-03-2019 03:07 PM
elon77 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu and elon
(09-03-2019 02:55 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  I swear with some of you people, if I gave you a gold bar, you'd complain about it being too shiny. I judge what we have in today's stadium based on what we used to have. I was in W-216 and had no problem exiting down those narrow stairs. If I need to use the bathroom I go down to the bottom level and use it. If there are people in line I wait. We have many more bathrooms and concessions. A lot of people were using them because they were so hyped. As everyone gets to know the new facility, little kinks will be ironed out. As far as I'm concerned, what I saw Saturday night from a program only 10 years old was pretty damn good.
Amen.
09-03-2019 03:38 PM
Special Teams

Truth
09-03-2019 03:44 PM
monarchman_2019 Offline
Water Engineer

I didn’t care for the AG Wraps advertisement being in VCU colors. I mean I get it that those may be AG’s color scheme, but c’mon. Just my .02
09-03-2019 03:46 PM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

I think everyone here is happy we have a new stadium. I also think everyone wants the stadium to be the best it can be. I see these as suggestions not gripes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using CSNbbs mobile app
09-03-2019 03:48 PM
bit_9 Offline

(09-03-2019 01:17 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  I love the new stadium. What we did with our limited budget and abbreviated timeline is impressive and should not be minimized. Is it perfect? No. Can some little things be done to make improvements? Yes and several can be done this season or even before the next game.

This got me thinking about other stadium experiences that I have and none are perfect and many have the same or worse issues as our stadium. Here's some examples off the top of my head (some of you may have been at these games and can either corroborate or correct me)...

ECU - there was a very long line up narrow steps underneath the stadium to get up to our seats (ODU section). Must have taken at least 20mins to just walk up to our seats - made me think twice about leaving seats at halftime. Porto Johns in the concourse. There was no WiFi/phone service. Couldn't always understand the announcer in our section.

NC State - The first year we played at State the lines at the concessions were extremely long. I tried three times, but didn't want to miss any part of the game (we were playing well and in the game) so I passed. The next time we played there I waited in line at halftime and missed a good part of the third quarter.

VT - Just an overall uncomfortable game experience - bench seats, long walks up steps to seats, long walks to concessions just to find they were out of water (it was 500 degrees that day). Now that I think about it I remember being underwhelmed with the crowd noise - I didn't think it was a very loud stadium even during Enter Sandman. Announcer was annoying.

UVA (vs NC State and Pitt) - some concessions weren't open (lack of fans), but it was inconvenient to walk around to the other side of the stadium for a just a drink. Sound system was jacked up at the Pitt game - the announcer sounded like he was over at the baseball stadium. Parking is a major issue at UVA games.

At each of the above stadiums I remember walking down from our seat section to the concession stands and restrooms - similar to what we have to do in the new stadium. I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm sure I could find other things to complain about, if I tried, but my point is that other stadiums aren't perfect either and I had to stop and think about these inconveniences. In hindsight, they really didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game that much and I kind of expect such things.

Well said. I've been to all of those except UVA and UNC had some major issues in seeing the game from where I sat. I didn't visit concessions and the stadium was half empty so hard to tell. But we're definitely nit picking because it's new.
09-03-2019 04:29 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Thankfully I don't have the urge to eat, piss or take a **** while at a football game.
09-03-2019 05:08 PM
jpspoo Offline
Water Engineer

First post...EVER.

I can see past all the long lines, etc., however, can we get WiFi in the stadium? I would like to be able to look up scores and stats while watching the game. I don't know about anyone else, but my Verizon cell phone gets NO service within the stands. Does anyone else have this issue?

I enjoy reading everyone's posts.
09-03-2019 06:25 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2019 04:29 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 01:17 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  I love the new stadium. What we did with our limited budget and abbreviated timeline is impressive and should not be minimized. Is it perfect? No. Can some little things be done to make improvements? Yes and several can be done this season or even before the next game.

Well said. I've been to all of those except UVA and UNC had some major issues in seeing the game from where I sat. I didn't visit concessions and the stadium was half empty so hard to tell. But we're definitely nit picking because it's new.

NC State is especially dumpy. VT is nice in certain sections, but the issues brought up are pretty common.

I may have to try out the kiosk, but I eat before going to the game bc I don't want to spend $50 on ballpark food.

I loved the new digs. I could do without a ton of people standing behind me in the concourse, but its not that big of a deal. I had small stand with drinks and popcorn right outside my section.
09-03-2019 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.