ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: NEW stadium construction
(09-01-2019 02:19 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 11:17 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You cant compare our band to a MEAC band. People go to MEAC games just to watch the band.

That is exactly the problem

They do that at JMU too. Maybe we should be comparing our band to that and trying to improve.
09-01-2019 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

I just can't believe they would build a "state of the art" stadium with no bathrooms on the concourse. AT LEAST put a few handicap ones there.

Another elevator or TWO are needed on the East side. May be needed on the West but didn't go over there. With all the studies that were done how could they not realize how many old and/or infirm fans there are??? Put ramps in like JMU stadium.

Where the hell are those extra 5-6 inches in seat width we were promised? Our row was just as scrunched up as last year. The 8 inches in extra in knee room-greatly welcomed.

As one of the few females on this board I am truly happy for the women's toilet count!

None of our group could read the "ball on __, down or times out" info on the ribbon scoreboards. And, YES, we've all had our cataracts removed1

The video board looks good but we in 206 couldn't see the lower right quarter of the screen. It needed to be moved to the left some or, better yet, on top of the EZ.

When I heard seven concession stands were going to be there, that sounded a bit low. Boy, was it! The lines were brutal.

The announcers never or rarely called the penalties. It was a guessing game all night!

Loved the way the sections were angled and being so close to the "action".

We never could find anyone selling programs. Also, tickets had "wear blue" but website had wear white". That has nothing to do with a new stadium. And, we wonder why we can never pull off a successful white out (or whatever color trick!)

Someone mentioned we could bring water in as long as the seal wasn't broken. Anyone ever hear such a thing?

A new, non-stadium gripe. I know we will be glad to have the money from the naming rights to the TED but Mr. Constant gave a whole bunch of millions towards building the TED. I hate when you call the box office now and they answer "Welcome to the Chartway Arena"! It will always be the TED to me.
09-01-2019 06:53 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

NEW stadium construction
The scoreboard situation is a disaster. I know they had to make some tough decisions based on cost, but half the stadium has an obstructed veiw of it. This is not an acceptable solution for the, at least, 5 years that we will be stuck with the current configuration. They blew that one in a big way.

The concession situation was an epic shitshow. I went down to grab a soda with 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and made it back to my seat by the start of the 3rd quarter. Wtf are you doing Aramark?

The band needs to go back to the NEZ. Couldn't even hear them in section W204.

The lack of bathrooms on the second level is just crazy. Having to take a 10 minute trip just to get to a bathroom is ridiculous.

On the positive side, it real does feel like a real college football stadium. Definitely feels like a much bigger stadium than it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
09-01-2019 08:11 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Everything is so meticulous planned that something must have been wrong with the concessions. Im sure they will get-it worked out. Luckily, we have a pop up stand right outside our seats and dont have to go downstairs.

I didnt notice an audio issue.

Im glad the band is on the other side, didnt realize i was that close to the corner and got tiredof hearing NSUs band. Please leave ours where they are :)

I thought I saw signs for restrooms on second floor...?

Remember, this was done in 9’months, there will be some kinks to work out.
09-01-2019 08:56 PM
Roy Munson Offline
Special Teams

People, people....cut these folks a little slack. Throwing a party for 21000 people with no dry run can't be easy. I'm guessing we'll see major improvements at the ECU game and gradual improvement as the season goes on. I'm sure everyone has a to-do list a mile long. Have faith.

Not sure how the obstructed scoreboard view can be fixed, though. Upper half of 104 can't see the bottom right of the screen. Maybe one of you tech savvy types can offer advice on how to raise the video board 20 feet or so without breaking the bank.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 11:16 AM by Roy Munson.)
09-02-2019 11:14 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(09-02-2019 11:14 AM)Roy Munson Wrote:  People, people....cut these folks a little slack. Throwing a party for 21000 people with no dry run can't be easy. I'm guessing we'll see major improvements at the ECU game and gradual improvement as the season goes on. I'm sure everyone has a to-do list a mile long. Have faith.

Not sure how the obstructed scoreboard view can be fixed, though. Upper half of 104 can't see the bottom right of the screen. Maybe one of you tech savvy types can offer advice on how to raise the video board 20 feet or so without breaking the bank.

Would be a waste of money that needs to go to the badly needed NEZ. My thoughts:

Much better but still felt small time, need the NEZ now!
Intro was not any better than before
Mics need to be fixed
Concession lines sucked, took me almost a full quarter to get popcorn and a hot dog. They need to add more food options to the concourse.
Can’t read the down and distance on the ribbon boards
Coordination and timing of events during the game need improvement
Harry overhyped things
West entrance looks great
D.J. needs work, wasn’t really that impressed with him
09-02-2019 12:22 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(09-02-2019 12:22 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(09-02-2019 11:14 AM)Roy Munson Wrote:  People, people....cut these folks a little slack. Throwing a party for 21000 people with no dry run can't be easy. I'm guessing we'll see major improvements at the ECU game and gradual improvement as the season goes on. I'm sure everyone has a to-do list a mile long. Have faith.

Would be a waste of money that needs to go to the badly needed NEZ. My thoughts:

Mics need to be fixed
Concession lines sucked, took me almost a full quarter to get popcorn and a hot dog. They need to add more food options to the concourse.
Harry overhyped things

So, in reading this, you had the same experience as the other posters who were at the game? Interesting....
09-02-2019 12:32 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(09-01-2019 08:11 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  The scoreboard situation is a disaster. I know they had to make some tough decisions based on cost, but half the stadium has an obstructed veiw of it. This is not an acceptable solution for the, at least, 5 years that we will be stuck with the current configuration. They blew that one in a big way.

The concession situation was an epic shitshow. I went down to grab a soda with 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and made it back to my seat by the start of the 3rd quarter. Wtf are you doing Aramark?

The lack of bathrooms on the second level is just crazy. Having to take a 10 minute trip just to get to a bathroom is ridiculous.

On the positive side, it real does feel like a real college football stadium. Definitely feels like a much bigger stadium than it is.

Must admit I did not try getting concessions on the bottom level of the west side. Too full from the tailgate. Hopefully it's better once the newness wears off.

Yes no bathrooms on the second level sucks. I don't know what can be done about that now.

There is absolutely nowhere you can put the scoreboard where it can be seen by everyone except to have it hover above the field. What would you rather have; Everyone can see the scoreboard or everyone can see the action on the field?

I also agree about the bigtime feel to the stadium. And compared to what used to be there, it's a home run. Oh, and I can live with the current NEZ at least for a while.
09-02-2019 05:07 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

(09-02-2019 05:07 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  There is absolutely nowhere you can put the scoreboard where it can be seen by everyone except to have it hover above the field. What would you rather have; Everyone can see the scoreboard or everyone can see the action on the field?

I think the best place is over the endzones. Until we redo the NEZ, a big board could have been placed over the game day building. Then three fourths of the grandstands could watch it.

Like Minne
[Image: 5b7445b2e867347e721a61b3_US_Bank_Stadium...tation.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 05:40 PM by Petey Hodge.)
09-02-2019 05:38 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(09-02-2019 05:38 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  
(09-02-2019 05:07 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  There is absolutely nowhere you can put the scoreboard where it can be seen by everyone except to have it hover above the field. What would you rather have; Everyone can see the scoreboard or everyone can see the action on the field?

I think the best place is over the endzones. Until we redo the NEZ, a big board could have been placed over the game day building. Then three fourths of the grandstands could watch it.

Like Minne

Yeah, that baby there looks like it costs a ton of money. Much more than 2.5 million.
09-02-2019 06:09 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU

My biggest gripe had to deal with tickets. I bought them through the Alumni Association. They couldn't find my tickets. The will call office (where the e-mail said they would be 30 min before the game) didn't receive them until midway through the 1st quarter.

On top of that, they gave me the wrong seats. I paid for seat back, and they put me up in open bench on the 2nd deck.

Last time I buy through them.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 07:22 PM by GhentFan.)
09-02-2019 07:01 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2019 06:09 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  

Like Minne

Yeah, that baby there looks like it costs a ton of money. Much more than 2.5 million.

That’s what needs to be over the NEZ and move the current board on top of the GDB. I’m sure it’s expensive, but that’s what FBS football is. We have to stop being so cheap with everything
09-02-2019 07:12 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
(09-02-2019 07:12 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Like Minne

That’s what needs to be over the NEZ and move the current board on top of the GDB. I’m sure it’s expensive, but that’s what FBS football is. We have to stop being so cheap with everything

Sweet, Monarx has a few Million laying around for the bigger screen.

[Image: Ckg1x1lWEAABxik_zps9xdfwim9.jpg]
09-02-2019 07:21 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2019 05:07 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 08:11 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  The scoreboard situation is a disaster. I know they had to make some tough decisions based on cost, but half the stadium has an obstructed veiw of it. This is not an acceptable solution for the, at least, 5 years that we will be stuck with the current configuration. They blew that one in a big way.

Must admit I did not try getting concessions on the bottom level of the west side. Too full from the tailgate. Hopefully it's better once the newness wears off.

Yes no bathrooms on the second level sucks. I don't know what can be done about that now.

There is absolutely nowhere you can put the scoreboard where it can be seen by everyone except to have it hover above the field. What would you rather have; Everyone can see the scoreboard or everyone can see the action on the field?

I also agree about the bigtime feel to the stadium. And compared to what used to be there, it's a home run. Oh, and I can live with the current NEZ at least for a while.
If the scoreboard was higher or over NEZ it would work fine. NEZ can't see it no matter what, but I am pretty sure nobody on the East side can see the whole thing either at this point. That coupled with the way too small font for down distance and yard line on the ribbons is really problematic and should definitely not be something that just persists for 5 years or however long it takes before the NEZ is redone.

09-02-2019 07:59 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2019 07:21 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(09-02-2019 07:12 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Like Minne

Sweet, Monarx has a few Million laying around for the bigger screen.

[Image: Ckg1x1lWEAABxik_zps9xdfwim9.jpg]

Lol. The “Monarx” scoreboard does have a nice ring to it. If I win the lotto I may have to consider that. :)
09-02-2019 08:21 PM
Sithlord Offline
2nd String

I like the new rumble in the stadium when everyone is stomping their feet on the floor. My son thought it was an earthquake!
09-03-2019 07:41 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

Wonder how the "rumble" sounds on the field?
09-03-2019 07:48 AM
DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU
(09-03-2019 07:41 AM)Sithlord Wrote:  I like the new rumble in the stadium when everyone is stomping their feet on the floor. My son thought it was an earthquake!

I like this effect also, we just have to get everyone doing it and it could be a great 3rd and 4th down thing while we are on D. The DJ starting doing a good job, pumping the crowd on 3rd downs, maybe he can incorporate the "stomp" somehow in his hype.
09-03-2019 07:52 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(09-02-2019 12:32 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(09-02-2019 12:22 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

Mics need to be fixed
Harry overhyped things

So, in reading this, you had the same experience as the other posters who were at the game? Interesting....

So things are fixable but some issues cant be repeated enough.
09-03-2019 07:59 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
Our Lyft driver seemed like he had never driven in Nofolk before so we got there around 6:45 (luckily we didn't miss much), but next game I go to I will try to get in an hour early so I can really walk around and see what the whole stadium has to offer. I was pretty much confined to the 2nd level on the West side and there was't much to see. The concourse was a little packed so even running down to get a drink from the fountain took a while.

I am not too worried about all the technical issues and other kinks experienced at this game, I'm sure they will iron it out as time goes on. Fans getting to know the stadium better too will also help with crowds and lines I'm sure.

My biggest takeaway from Saturday, this looks and feels like a real stadium. Finally haha. old FF was great but this is just so much better. The aluminum risers really help with creating noise and even though NSU keeping us in the game kept us quiet for the most part, when we scored at the end the place got loud and stayed loud while we were on defense. They did a great job of keeping the sound in the stadium. I think that may also cause the echoes from the sound system though.

I can't wait for the NEZ to be finished. I don't hate it like some other people do because it is a decent size/height and holds a good capacity, but I do agree that it needs to be redone to complete the lower bowl and whatever else they do there. I just hope it doesn't kill capacity.

Which leads me to my next point, I thought our capacity was over 22k, yet when they announced the sellout it was listed at 21,944?
09-03-2019 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.