Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: NEW stadium construction
(08-07-2019 06:59 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(08-06-2019 07:01 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(08-06-2019 01:30 AM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  One more WAVY 10 flyover and that should do it.

Done and done

It looks great in the air. I would love to see a shot of it like this when it's full

It does look nice from the air. Bigger looking from that vantage point too. I kind of wish they had kept the box blue, and of course added suites, larger elevated scoreboard and the NEZ, but looking at it from this arial video, its certainly a step up and something we can be comfortable with in CUSA. I cant image how awesome this will be when phase 2 is completed.
08-07-2019 08:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bit_9 Offline

(08-07-2019 08:06 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(08-07-2019 06:59 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(08-06-2019 07:01 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(08-06-2019 01:30 AM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  One more WAVY 10 flyover and that should do it.

Done and done

It looks great in the air. I would love to see a shot of it like this when it's full

It does look nice from the air. Bigger looking from that vantage point too. I kind of wish they had kept the box blue, and of course added suites, larger elevated scoreboard and the NEZ, but looking at it from this arial video, its certainly a step up and something we can be comfortable with in CUSA. I cant image how awesome this will be when phase 2 is completed.

Without seeing it in person I too wish the press box was blue or had something else going on, just looks so plain. It looks like an unfinished product from images/video online, just doesn't seem to have any texture to it. I bet it's great in person though. Looking forward to getting over there in a couple weeks to check it out!
08-07-2019 08:45 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I'm good with the pressbox being gray, it makes the entire side look bigger. If it were blue, it would be more obvious that it's separate from the stands and could possibly make the stands there look smaller.

The aerial view from North looking South is great, it kind of hides our NEZ. Hopefully we get a sellout with that first game and we can see what it looks like when full. It's going to be louder than what we had before too.
08-07-2019 09:01 AM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

It’s gonna look cool when they hang those “tapestries” on the backsides of the bleachers.... can anyone ask their “insider” friends if they still plan on adding these final touches?
08-07-2019 09:04 AM
bit_9 Offline

(08-07-2019 09:01 AM)odu09 Wrote:  I'm good with the pressbox being gray, it makes the entire side look bigger. If it were blue, it would be more obvious that it's separate from the stands and could possibly make the stands there look smaller.

The aerial view from North looking South is great, it kind of hides our NEZ. Hopefully we get a sellout with that first game and we can see what it looks like when full. It's going to be louder than what we had before too.

That's a good point too. It does kind of make it appear to be more like one big solid form to it.

And ya, that angle is awesome. It looks great!
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 09:53 AM by bit_9.)
08-07-2019 09:53 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
The stadium has a great look to it. The colors may be basic but they look solid in our stadium. Silver/Gray/Navy are a great combo, even with a Gray/Silver pressbox. The new end zones with blue and white and the centerfield logo give us a nice sharp look, even if there is no light blue anywhere in the stadium. I'm okay with the pressbox not being blue for the same reason others are saying, but also I think it gives it a much more professional look all things considered
08-07-2019 01:10 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
I really like the stadium. It reminds me of a great big gray aircraft carrier with a grass landing strip on it and this is appropriate given the location of our University
08-07-2019 01:26 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

I had one my company’s Executive VPs (we build our nuclear carriers) willing to go to the Navy to secure the Enterprise’s ship bell for our stadium. That VP got both his undergraduate and graduate degrees from ODU. Use the bell to ring before the team enters or rub like Howard’s Rock at Clemson. At that time the Navy had no established plan for the bell. But got an email response from Selig “we are happy with our existing traditions for ODU football”.

2 or 3 months later the Athletic department sent out communications asking the fan base for ideas on creating traditions for our football program. Still SMH
08-07-2019 02:20 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(08-07-2019 02:20 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  I had one my company’s Executive VPs (we build our nuclear carriers) willing to go to the Navy to secure the Enterprise’s ship bell for our stadium. That VP got both his undergraduate and graduate degrees from ODU. Use the bell to ring before the team enters or rub like Howard’s Rock at Clemson. At that time the Navy had no established plan for the bell. But got an email response from Selig “we are happy with our existing traditions for ODU football”.

2 or 3 months later the Athletic department sent out communications asking the fan base for ideas on creating traditions for our football program. Still SMH

I like your idea. Very Patriotic.
08-07-2019 02:25 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2019 02:20 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  I had one my company’s Executive VPs (we build our nuclear carriers) willing to go to the Navy to secure the Enterprise’s ship bell for our stadium. That VP got both his undergraduate and graduate degrees from ODU. Use the bell to ring before the team enters or rub like Howard’s Rock at Clemson. At that time the Navy had no established plan for the bell. But got an email response from Selig “we are happy with our existing traditions for ODU football”.

Sometimes our AD is our own enemy. If i were Selig i would've at least accepted it to plan something with it later even if there are no immediate plans. WhyTF did he say no to that and does he even contemplate the effort it takes to acquire that bell 03-pissed
08-07-2019 02:33 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

What a joke.
08-07-2019 02:37 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

(08-07-2019 02:33 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Sometimes our AD is our own enemy. If i were Selig i would've at least accepted it to plan something with it later even if there are no immediate plans. WhyTF did he say no to that and does he even contemplate the effort it takes to acquire that bell 03-pissed

I agree. This is very unique and a very nice gift for the program, there are so many thing that bell could be used for.
08-07-2019 04:07 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2019 02:37 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

What a joke.

What traditions? "We are - Monarchs!" chant? Gone. 12th Monarch flag leading team onto the field? Gone. Monarch March? Gone. Crazy Train? All thats left. Unless he plans to put a giant statue of a roaring lion with a crown on its head outside the stadium for fans to take pics with and rub his paw for luck (which I would love to see), Wood saying no to the bell is just so short sighted.
08-07-2019 05:02 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I think it was a good idea and a missed opportunity. Capital ships like the "Big E" would of had a big bell. The "Big E" while over 55 years old has a top speed that is still classified. I'm pretty certain she was the fastest surface warships ever. When she was built, they didn't really know what it would take to power the beast. So they installed 8 huge nuclear reactors to powered the 95,000 tons of steel. They later decommission 4 of them and she still was a fast. Talked to a plank owner who was there during commissioning, he wouldn't say, but did say she would go well above 40 knots.
08-07-2019 05:22 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

I took a tour this week. Guys, the stadium looks great! Incredible attention to detail. I'm liking the philosophy of restricting capacity, but providing a lot of amenities. Phase 2 will focus on fan experience even further. Sounds like the South endzone may get a refresh before the North endzone gets replaced. Sounds like the end goal is to provide a luxury experience in the stands.

Coaches salaries are also a top fundraising concern. Don't be surprised to get a phone call asking for more money for the coaching staffs.

Overall, I think everyone's going to really enjoy this season-- even if the team sucks.
08-07-2019 05:42 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

WTF!! Passing up the Big E's Bell..

True Blue, I wish y'all had figured a way to get the bell any way. We could have hidden it until they came to their senses!

The only thing more stupid that has been done that I've heard is putting all the bathrooms on the ground level. Yes, can you believe it...NO RESTROOMS ON THE CONCOURSE!! All attendees will have to walk down a stairway or take the elevator to a restroom. How much you want a bet they'll be figuring a way to get some there by year 2!
08-07-2019 10:01 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(08-07-2019 10:01 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  WTF!! Passing up the Big E's Bell..

True Blue, I wish y'all had figured a way to get the bell any way. We could have hidden it until they came to their senses!

The only thing more stupid that has been done that I've heard is putting all the bathrooms on the ground level. Yes, can you believe it...NO RESTROOMS ON THE CONCOURSE!! All attendees will have to walk down a stairway or take the elevator to a restroom. How much you want a bet they'll be figuring a way to get some there by year 2!

To be fair, we didn’t get the chance to approach the navy. So no idea what the response would have been. The Navy may have had plans just not disclosed publicly. I would have loved to at least have tried.

In my heart it would have been a great intro: Ring the bell, fire the howitzer, players rub the bell as the team runs out! Enterprise was homeported here for 55 years. Think of the ties we could have made with local military personnel. Former commanding officers and or flight bosses ringing the bell. Or a tie in with the wounded warrior project. Would maybe seal the deal to play the Naval Academy on a regular basis.
08-08-2019 03:31 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Traditions ??? What Traditions ? We need.....
1) Something in addition to Crazy Train at the entrance. Maybe a Chant like "I believe we will win" or jumping up and down or something else
2) Kick off like....OOOOOOOOO. kick D U
3) in game tradition especially on 1st down
4) clear start of the 4th quarter tradition
5) others ???
08-08-2019 06:05 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

Speaking of tradition, am I the only that still says "That's a Virginia Lottery first down"?
08-08-2019 06:10 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

(08-08-2019 06:05 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Traditions ??? What Traditions ? We need.....
1) Something in addition to Crazy Train at the entrance. Maybe a Chant like "I believe we will win" or jumping up and down or something else
2) Kick off like....OOOOOOOOO. kick D U
3) in game tradition especially on 1st down
4) clear start of the 4th quarter tradition
5) others ???

The I believe that we will win chant to me is very high school and overused (I know the USMNT and USWNT have been using it but still, my own and every high school we faced used that chant and made it seem amateur to me) so I personally wouldn't like it, but hey I'm just one person.

When I was a cheerleader I proposed us doing #2 on your list. I think the cheerleaders still do it but it hasn't caught on in the crowd yet

I think there was a thread back in the day that was dedicated to traditions and such. I loved the stadium split "We are!" "Monarchs!" chant but it never caught on and I think it was placed at a weird time in the leadup to the team running out and it could've potentially mirrored VT so much that they probably decided to stay away from it. Maybe having it after the team runs out would make it better? idk.

The bell could have been used as a 4Q tradition, have a fan or cheerleader or Big Blue Ring it to signify the 4th quarter.

There are a lot of things I tried starting when I cheered that either only caught on within the cheer squad or fizzled out over the years. I still have ideas but have no idea where or who to send it to. I thank the band for adopting the "We are Monarchs!" chant during Zombie Nation at basketball games that I started, but the students don't do it when they are literally standing (sitting) right next to them so it hasn't fully caught on
08-08-2019 06:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.