ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: NEW stadium construction
Where are they going to put the Howitzer with the tight sidelines now?
07-31-2019 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2019 12:49 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Where are they going to put the Howitzer with the tight sidelines now?

They don't look that much tighter to me. I think there should still be room for the cannon. I hope. That and "Crazy Train" are our only football traditions at this point. I miss the 12th Monarchs and the Monarch March.
07-31-2019 01:35 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I guess this is a question for some one in AD. How the hell did ECU manage to get funding from TowneBank for their south side tower while we got sponsorship for a scoreboard? Isn't TowneBank headquartered in Hampton Roads? Is TowneBank's CEO/CFO their Alumni if not ODAF dropped the ball on it. We could have funded NEZ with their sponsorship.

Edit: I just looked it up and their CEO is an ODU Alum. What a shame. I know CEO's make decisions based on their best interests but i don't see how a New Stadium in HR isn't better than an expansion of stadium in Greenville.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019 01:40 PM by 12thmonarch.)
07-31-2019 01:36 PM
Can't Tame the Lion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
(07-31-2019 01:36 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  I guess this is a question for some one in AD. How the hell did ECU manage to get funding from TowneBank for their south side tower while we got sponsorship for a scoreboard? Isn't TowneBank headquartered in Hampton Roads? Is TowneBank's CEO/CFO their Alumni if not ODAF dropped the ball on it. We could have funded NEZ with their sponsorship.

Yes, TowneBank is local, but the ECU investment was was a strategic business move. They recently bought a NC bank with branches in Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc. and are expanding into the eastern NC area. They contribute a lot to ODU that goes under the radar and will continue to do so.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019 01:54 PM by Can't Tame the Lion.)
07-31-2019 01:50 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(07-31-2019 01:36 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  I guess this is a question for some one in AD. How the hell did ECU manage to get funding from TowneBank for their south side tower while we got sponsorship for a scoreboard? Isn't TowneBank headquartered in Hampton Roads? Is TowneBank's CEO/CFO their Alumni if not ODAF dropped the ball on it. We could have funded NEZ with their sponsorship.

Edit: I just looked it up and their CEO is an ODU Alum. What a shame. I know CEO's make decisions based on their best interests but i don't see how a New Stadium in HR isn't better than an expansion of stadium in Greenville.

The bigger question is how much did they pay for their name on the videoboard? They wrote ECU a check for $3 million. Our videoboard probably cost that much when you factor in the ribbon boards on the sidelines and gameday building.
07-31-2019 01:50 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2019 01:50 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  

Yes, TowneBank is local, but the ECU investment was was a strategic business move. They recently bought a NC bank with branches in Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc. and are expanding into the eastern NC area. They contribute a lot to ODU that goes under the radar and will continue to do so.

(07-31-2019 01:50 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  

The bigger question is how much did they pay for their name on the videoboard? They wrote ECU a check for $3 million. Our videoboard probably cost that much when you factor in the ribbon boards on the sidelines and gameday building.

Now that i have started to look it up, TowneBank has a bunch of Alumni on various ODU Administrative and decision making positions and if what you said about TowneBank donating under Radar is true then i am glad that is happening and honestly if they have funded the video board and ribbons in their entirety then yeah those alone would make up for 3 MM in donations that they contributed to ECU.
07-31-2019 02:01 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I can’t tell for sure, but it looks as though they are putting chair backs on the upper deck seating of the west side below the press box which would extend the entire length of the press box. In the renderings I have seen there were only three upper sections with chair backs, as opposed to five. Perhaps I’m seeing it incorrectly.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019 03:17 PM by paintedblue2.)
07-31-2019 03:07 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2019 02:01 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 01:50 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  

(07-31-2019 01:50 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  

Now that i have started to look it up, TowneBank has a bunch of Alumni on various ODU Administrative and decision making positions and if what you said about TowneBank donating under Radar is true then i am glad that is happening and honestly if they have funded the video board and ribbons in their entirety then yeah those alone would make up for 3 MM in donations that they contributed to ECU.

According to older articles, the new scoreboard going in now was paid for by ODU setting aside money over the years. It was a planned replacement, as was the turf. Maybe TowneBank will sponsor the newer, bigger board (assuming that comes) with the NEZ and terrace area. If so, I wish they'd make that public. It is a shame that a local bank with an alumnus CEO made a bigger corporate donation to a rival in a rural area. Maybe they are doing stuff behind the scenes, maybe the big donation will be toward the NEZ. I guess we will see.
07-31-2019 03:09 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2019 03:07 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  I can’t tell for sure, but it looks as though they are putting chair backs on the upper deck seating of the west side below the press box which would extend the entire length of the press box. In the renderings I have seen there were only three upper sections with chair backs, as opposed to five. Perhaps I’m seeing it incorrectly.

No you are not alone. I was wondering about that yesterday when i saw 217 had chair backs extended beyond the first few rows. They might have changed the plans and decided to make them fill the length of pressbox.
07-31-2019 03:31 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-31-2019 03:31 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 03:07 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  I can’t tell for sure, but it looks as though they are putting chair backs on the upper deck seating of the west side below the press box which would extend the entire length of the press box. In the renderings I have seen there were only three upper sections with chair backs, as opposed to five. Perhaps I’m seeing it incorrectly.

No you are not alone. I was wondering about that yesterday when i saw 217 had chair backs extended beyond the first few rows. They might have changed the plans and decided to make them fill the length of pressbox.

217 does only have chair backs for the first few rows. I'm not sure what that blue stuff is but they already installed bench backs in those non-chairback rows in 217.
07-31-2019 04:01 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2019 04:01 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

217 does only have chair backs for the first few rows. I'm not sure what that blue stuff is but they already installed bench backs in those non-chairback rows in 217.

Not really. If you notice the following rendering that was sent out earlier and is still on the ticket purchasing site the chair backs are only supposed to go until where the staircase emerges into the stadium but if the current installation is any indication they are beyond what the rendering shows. Don't get me wrong i am happy with the add'l chair backs but was wondering if there was change of plans some where along the installation.

[Image: 2019Football_TCCCweb-710e7de899.jpg]
07-31-2019 04:14 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-31-2019 04:14 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Not really. If you notice the following rendering that was sent out earlier and is still on the ticket purchasing site the chair backs are only supposed to go until where the staircase emerges into the stadium but if the current installation is any indication they are beyond what the rendering shows. Don't get me wrong i am happy with the add'l chair backs but was wondering if there was change of plans some where along the installation.

You're right. This section should be a mirror of 211 and they've extended past where the seats end there. Someone likely messed up. Wonder if they ordered too many or if those chairbacks actually belong in 216.
07-31-2019 04:27 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2019 04:27 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

You're right. This section should be a mirror of 211 and they've extended past where the seats end there. Someone likely messed up. Wonder if they ordered too many or if those chairbacks actually belong in 216.

You might be correct. They might have ordered too many and now are placing chair backs on bench backs 03-lmfao Either way i like having chairbacks spread the length of press box.
07-31-2019 04:33 PM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

That's well and good unless someone paid less for those seats because they weren't chairbacks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using CSNbbs mobile app
07-31-2019 05:14 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

No, I don't think you are. I have been watching that also, and I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
07-31-2019 06:33 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2019 06:33 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

No, I don't think you are. I have been watching that also, and I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think they are just staging for the adjacent section 216, but two more rows and I got a chairback.
07-31-2019 07:12 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(07-31-2019 07:12 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 06:33 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

I think they are just staging for the adjacent section 216, but two more rows and I got a chairback.

This was my first reaction, but up till now the have been pre-installing seats in the sections they are intended for. Why do twice the work by staging in another section? I guess we will find out “almost” soon enough. LOL
07-31-2019 07:35 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Unusual place to put a scoreboard,

Orlando City Stadium,

[Image: orlando_1200x600.jpg]
08-01-2019 12:54 AM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(07-31-2019 04:27 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

The way I'm looking at it 217 should be a mirror of 213. And like others have noted, they've installed seatbacks well above the first 3 or 4 rows.

Now that I think about it. I believe those 'extra' seatbacks in 217 are just staged for installation in 216. You'd have to uninstall the bleacher style back rests. The seatbacks don't fit over top of the aluminum backrests.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 09:08 AM by ODU True Blue.)
08-01-2019 08:14 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

Interesting piece of equipment being off loaded at 11:59 mark, camera 3. Any one know what this is?
08-01-2019 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.