ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: NEW stadium construction
(05-01-2019 08:11 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 07:56 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I don't disagree with that. We don't want a Delaware fan base. All you do is tap alumni and you get lots of families that can go for a little while then disappear for 10 years plus while we're doing stuff for our kids on weekends. Then come back when kids are out of the house. I've got one foot in that boat right now. In about 3 years I'll have 2 kids that will override going to a football game on a Saturday.

I'm already there... travel soccer. Can usually make the night games when it isn't a tournament weekend, but afternoon games are usually a showstopper.

Yup. My kids 6 so still in coach pitch but if he ends up on a travel team for baseball in 2-3 years + my daughter will inevitably start doing something (I think Gymnastics is her calling but hard to tell at 2. =] ) then I'll be a ghost and hope I can get good seats again later in life.
05-01-2019 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-01-2019 08:51 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 07:56 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I don't disagree with that. We don't want a Delaware fan base. All you do is tap alumni and you get lots of families that can go for a little while then disappear for 10 years plus while we're doing stuff for our kids on weekends. Then come back when kids are out of the house. I've got one foot in that boat right now. In about 3 years I'll have 2 kids that will override going to a football game on a Saturday.

I'm already there... travel soccer. Can usually make the night games when it isn't a tournament weekend, but afternoon games are usually a showstopper.

Yup. My kids 6 so still in coach pitch but if he ends up on a travel team for baseball in 2-3 years + my daughter will inevitably start doing something (I think Gymnastics is her calling but hard to tell at 2. =] ) then I'll be a ghost and hope I can get good seats again later in life.

This just means that ODU needs to do a better job with students and young alumni and replenishing the fan base. I do think there are quite a few young people that show interest in the program, I just don't know how many that are going to shell out hundreds of dollars per year on donations and tickets. ODU needs to find a way.

This is a thought: ODU needs to reach out to the graduating classes each year with this proposal. Graduating seniors get a %50 discount on season tickets if they purchase before graduation day. And then they get a 25% discount on season tickets for the next 2 years if they buy them each year. That's 3 years of big discounts.

I think that could be a home run.
05-01-2019 10:51 AM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

(05-01-2019 10:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 08:51 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  

This just means that ODU needs to do a better job with students and young alumni and replenishing the fan base. I do think there are quite a few young people that show interest in the program, I just don't know how many that are going to shell out hundreds of dollars per year on donations and tickets. ODU needs to find a way.

This is a thought: ODU needs to reach out to the graduating classes each year with this proposal. Graduating seniors get a %50 discount on season tickets if they purchase before graduation day. And then they get a 25% discount on season tickets for the next 2 years if they buy them each year. That's 3 years of big discounts.

They already have a young alumni program - 50% discount on bball tix for 3 years after graduation plus free BBR passes. No discount on Football, although you do get a tailgate pass for a very minimal donation (25$).

HOWEVER, as with most things aimed at our students - I don't know that it is always well communicated.
05-01-2019 10:59 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(05-01-2019 10:59 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 10:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  This is a thought: ODU needs to reach out to the graduating classes each year with this proposal. Graduating seniors get a %50 discount on season tickets if they purchase before graduation day. And then they get a 25% discount on season tickets for the next 2 years if they buy them each year. That's 3 years of big discounts.

They already have a young alumni program - 50% discount on bball tix for 3 years after graduation plus free BBR passes. No discount on Football, although you do get a tailgate pass for a very minimal donation (25$).

HOWEVER, as with most things aimed at our students - I don't know that it is always well communicated.

Yes, this is what the $100 endzone seats started out as. Originally you had to be a young alum to get that deal. Same with the $100 donation for a tailgating pass. They did it for a year or so and as demand waned for the awful north endzone seats, they opened it up to all fans.

I will add that when I first graduated, the young alum program is the main reason I bought season tickets for hoops. That price reduction and the perk of the BBR made it an easy choice.

This will be my 7th season as a STH for football and hoops and it's all because of that program.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2019 12:08 PM by Monarchist13.)
05-01-2019 12:06 PM
DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU
I fear the North End Zone seats will be pretty empty this year, with the exception of the Student/Visitor portion.
05-01-2019 01:01 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(05-01-2019 01:01 PM)DWING Wrote:  I fear the North End Zone seats will be pretty empty this year, with the exception of the Student/Visitor portion.

Disagree. With the increase in prices, counting the fees, I would not be surprised if a lot of people take advantage of $99 seats with NO fees.
05-01-2019 01:04 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
I graduated in 2015 and made it down to at least one home football and basketball game since, and last year I pulled the trigger on football season tickets. It worked out perfectly because I had a friend who lived up the street from campus and he split them 50/50 with me, so having a place to stay for free and the ability to go down every other weekend was great. However, I won't have that luxury this upcoming fall and I'm debating on whether I should get them again. I know that if I lived close I would have already re-upped for 2019, and probably have a basketball package as well.

But I know most who graduate don't come back, which should be something ODU should focus on, even for some alumni friends I have who still live in the area. It's been mentioned on this board about what ECU does for the students while they are students, it would be nice to see ODU come up with something like this moving forward.
05-01-2019 01:43 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-01-2019 01:43 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  I graduated in 2015 and made it down to at least one home football and basketball game since, and last year I pulled the trigger on football season tickets. It worked out perfectly because I had a friend who lived up the street from campus and he split them 50/50 with me, so having a place to stay for free and the ability to go down every other weekend was great. However, I won't have that luxury this upcoming fall and I'm debating on whether I should get them again. I know that if I lived close I would have already re-upped for 2019, and probably have a basketball package as well.

But I know most who graduate don't come back, which should be something ODU should focus on, even for some alumni friends I have who still live in the area. It's been mentioned on this board about what ECU does for the students while they are students, it would be nice to see ODU come up with something like this moving forward.

I drive over 4 hours each way for football games. Its only 6 times a year. I had to drop my basketball tickets when I moved away, but football isnt so bad. You can do it.
05-01-2019 02:23 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(05-01-2019 02:23 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 01:43 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  I graduated in 2015 and made it down to at least one home football and basketball game since, and last year I pulled the trigger on football season tickets. It worked out perfectly because I had a friend who lived up the street from campus and he split them 50/50 with me, so having a place to stay for free and the ability to go down every other weekend was great. However, I won't have that luxury this upcoming fall and I'm debating on whether I should get them again. I know that if I lived close I would have already re-upped for 2019, and probably have a basketball package as well.

I drive over 4 hours each way for football games. Its only 6 times a year. I had to drop my basketball tickets when I moved away, but football isnt so bad. You can do it.

I drive 6 hours from Charlotte but have family in Williamsburg to stay at. If I didn't have them admittedly it would very difficult but I would figure something out to keep coming to games.
05-01-2019 03:00 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University

I drove 5+ for football from PA for the first two season, but it just go to be too much. Now I try to make it down once or twice a season, wish it could be more
05-01-2019 03:22 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-01-2019 03:22 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

I drove 5+ for football from PA for the first two season, but it just go to be too much. Now I try to make it down once or twice a season, wish it could be more

I understand. It is hard. My wife just wants to go to a couple games a year, but I talked her into keeping season tix this year for the new stadium. If 2020 looks like it might be good I may be able to keep it up, but if we suck it will be a hard sell.
05-01-2019 04:04 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Every fan base has parents in it. And every fan base has competing priorities.

But not every fan base has an area to draw from that is 1.7 million without a FBS option within 200 miles. The 757 should have had ODU football in 1990. There are numerous examples of schools (including a couple of current AAC members) that didn't even have football in 1985. This is not a waste of money. And funding for future growth of the football program is a no-brainer. And yes, there is Something In The Water. Some of us just seem to be happy letting VT and JMU benefit from it from 4 hours away.
05-01-2019 04:32 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(05-01-2019 04:04 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 03:22 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

I understand. It is hard. My wife just wants to go to a couple games a year, but I talked her into keeping season tix this year for the new stadium. If 2020 looks like it might be good I may be able to keep it up, but if we suck it will be a hard sell.

I know I can do it, I did it last year and am very happy I did. The difference is that I don't have someone to split tickets with and will essentially be driving to Norfolk alone, stay the weekend alone, and drive back up alone. Not my ideal situation haha. I know it's only 6 weekends out of the fall but still, it's a little much when it a solo 4 hour trip both ways.
05-02-2019 07:30 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Brick Campaign extended .....Hmmmm ??? You get 250 extra ODAF points for the larger brick.
05-02-2019 12:56 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(05-02-2019 12:56 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Brick Campaign extended .....Hmmmm ??? You get 250 extra ODAF points for the larger brick.

.... that's equivalent to a $1660 donation....
05-02-2019 01:11 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(05-02-2019 01:11 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 12:56 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Brick Campaign extended .....Hmmmm ??? You get 250 extra ODAF points for the larger brick.

Thats quite an incentive. When I ordered mine they only offered 100 points for them.
05-02-2019 01:27 PM
bit_9 Offline

Do those points show up already? I ordered a large brick.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 01:35 PM by bit_9.)
05-02-2019 01:35 PM
Big Blue Crazy Offline
Special Teams

NEW stadium construction
The point have not been added in yet. I called ODAF and asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-02-2019 01:41 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(05-02-2019 01:27 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 01:11 PM)odu09 Wrote:  

Thats quite an incentive. When I ordered mine they only offered 100 points for them.

I think that is for the small brick. I am talking about the large granite bricks that will be used for the ODU on the walk way.
05-02-2019 01:46 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I am guessing the reason they are extending the deadline is because they have not sold what they expected. I am shocked that these have not been all bought up. They ran a strong marketing campaign for this opportunity to boot.
05-02-2019 01:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.