ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
Punk Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: NEW stadium construction
Caught this little blurb in Harry's article about the future schedule (Buffalo home twice plus the UAB/UTSA news)

"shortly after Christmas, will begin pouring the foundation for the new stadium. "

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...=211783040
12-13-2018 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

What are the wooden beams with notches in the ends for??
12-13-2018 09:18 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(12-13-2018 09:18 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  What are the wooden beams with notches in the ends for??

Wooden beams? I think you are looking at the form for the concrete. They make the form out of wood then pour the concrete in to make the foundation. Doesnt look like the rebar has been installed yet but that should go in before they pour the concrete.
12-13-2018 09:24 AM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

Take a look at the beams that are laid out across the field
12-13-2018 09:54 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(12-13-2018 09:54 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Take a look at the beams that are laid out across the field

Those are to drive equipment from one side to another.
12-13-2018 10:07 AM
joelwj Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU
Those are crane mats. Wouldn't be surprised to see a crane traversing across the field soon. I've seen a lot of you all asking for more details in layman's terms of some of the things going on. I work for a Heavy Civil Contractor, and we perform a lot of the work that is going on at the stadium, if and when I have time i'll try to chime in with my 2 cents.

We actually bid the piling portion of the project but were not successful. Based on what little bit that I have seen from the camera's, I'd guess they are in the ball park of 30-40% complete with driving pile.

The east side as someone has indicated the form work for the concrete footings has started. Once they get to a certain point, rebar (reinforcing steel) will be put into the forms, and then concrete poured. I wonder how they are going to handle this and pile driving activities at the same time. We typically try not to pour concrete within 120-150 ft of pile driving due to the vibrations on the concrete.

I have to say overall, i'm been impressed with the approach that SB Ballard has taken to managing, pushing this schedule. All along I thought the 9 month window was very daunting and was glad that we did not get the piling portion due to that constraint.
12-13-2018 11:21 AM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

Thanks Joelwj. I find this process very interesting and I don't know the first thing about heavy construction. Anything you can contribute is appreciated.
12-13-2018 11:34 AM
Punk Offline
1st String

(12-13-2018 10:07 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(12-13-2018 09:54 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Take a look at the beams that are laid out across the field

Those are to drive equipment from one side to another.

There's equipment on it at the 11:16 am still frame from today...
12-13-2018 11:40 AM
Big Bluezilla Online
All American

(12-13-2018 11:21 AM)joelwj Wrote:  Those are crane mats. Wouldn't be surprised to see a crane traversing across the field soon. I've seen a lot of you all asking for more details in layman's terms of some of the things going on. I work for a Heavy Civil Contractor, and we perform a lot of the work that is going on at the stadium, if and when I have time i'll try to chime in with my 2 cents.

We actually bid the piling portion of the project but were not successful. Based on what little bit that I have seen from the camera's, I'd guess they are in the ball park of 30-40% complete with driving pile.

The east side as someone has indicated the form work for the concrete footings has started. Once they get to a certain point, rebar (reinforcing steel) will be put into the forms, and then concrete poured. I wonder how they are going to handle this and pile driving activities at the same time. We typically try not to pour concrete within 120-150 ft of pile driving due to the vibrations on the concrete.

I have to say overall, i'm been impressed with the approach that SB Ballard has taken to managing, pushing this schedule. All along I thought the 9 month window was very daunting and was glad that we did not get the piling portion due to that constraint.

Thanks Joel!
12-13-2018 11:56 AM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(12-13-2018 11:21 AM)joelwj Wrote:  Those are crane mats. Wouldn't be surprised to see a crane traversing across the field soon. I've seen a lot of you all asking for more details in layman's terms of some of the things going on. I work for a Heavy Civil Contractor, and we perform a lot of the work that is going on at the stadium, if and when I have time i'll try to chime in with my 2 cents.

A football field is 53 yards wide, correct? So just the distance across the field is 159 feet. Add that the piles are slightly further back they might be well beyond those tolerance levels.
12-13-2018 12:21 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Joel, what are you thoughts/comments, if any, on pouring these footings in cold weather? Think they will be using a warming additive, what's the likelyhood of a good cure, and what are the chances of cracking in these footings later on?
12-13-2018 12:21 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

All concrete cracks. You just engineer everything to minimize it. Such as putting in fiber to bind better. Or other additives.
12-13-2018 12:24 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

Seeing rebar cages on west side today. One thing I've realized it much of the framing for the foundation is already made. There must be a ton of work going on off site somewhere.
12-14-2018 11:24 AM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
If they could reposition the cameras so they're aiming downward at each side instead of across the field and add a panoramic camera overseeing the entire construction on top of the game day building that would be perfect.
12-15-2018 02:48 AM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
Received my certificate of appreciation and a letter from ODAF today for the custom brick drive.
12-15-2018 08:07 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

Looks like foundation work is getting started on both sides and they are working on the first tower base.
12-18-2018 08:38 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(12-15-2018 08:07 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  Received my certificate of appreciation and a letter from ODAF today for the custom brick drive.

I got mine as well.
12-18-2018 08:43 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

12-18-2018 09:12 PM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

I was watching pile driving today on the east side. They set the pile up to drive it into the ground and on the first two smacks, it slide right into the ground like 25-30 feet! Soft ground? They fused another pile to that one and it slid another 20 feet, but that last 30 or so feet took a beating from the piledriver. It took like 20 minutes to get that sucker where they wanted it. On the west side, the layout for the concrete casting is underway. You can see where the first of the two massive stairway towers are gonna be. Pretty cool watching this unfold!

Now, on to the juicy stuff.
I’ve heard from a good source that the east side stands will have more piles driven into the ground than the west side for future expansions. This makes sense because if you look at the renderings, the light poles are still much taller than the east side stands in phase one. The north end zone will be replaced next because of now rigdily it is. My source didn’t elaborate too much on that.
12-18-2018 10:23 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(12-18-2018 10:23 PM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  I was watching pile driving today on the east side. They set the pile up to drive it into the ground and on the first two smacks, it slide right into the ground like 25-30 feet! Soft ground? They fused another pile to that one and it slid another 20 feet, but that last 30 or so feet took a beating from the piledriver. It took like 20 minutes to get that sucker where they wanted it. On the west side, the layout for the concrete casting is underway. You can see where the first of the two massive stairway towers are gonna be. Pretty cool watching this unfold!

Now, on to the juicy stuff.
I’ve heard from a good source that the east side stands will have more piles driven into the ground than the west side for future expansions. This makes sense because if you look at the renderings, the light poles are still much taller than the east side stands in phase one. The north end zone will be replaced next because of now rigdily it is. My source didn’t elaborate too much on that.

Hopefully after next season (North Endzone) and then get the new scoreboard as well.
12-18-2018 10:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.