ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: NEW stadium construction
(06-13-2018 11:37 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 10:56 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Does anyone else feel based on the new renderings that the new design looks a lot more like Ballards original design. I do, and we were all happy when that came out. I think we will be getting a good product.

Definitely agree with the last sentence. The press box looks very different to me though.

We have had a lot of hurdles and uncertainty regarding this. But we're just 15 months away from seeing football in the new FF. That's pretty cool.

I'm also happy they found a way to get a new scoreboard. Finally the student section will be able to chant "bull.. ****" and know with certainty whether or not the call was bad.

New scoreboard is in same location. Students will have a very bad view of the scoreboard.

Speaking of the scoreboard. Very very disappointed with the new renderings. No bigger than the old. Same location. Unless they remove the advertising along each side (yea right!) what are we really getting? The video display has to take up the whole width or it is money thrown down the drain.
06-14-2018 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(06-14-2018 09:25 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 10:56 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Does anyone else feel based on the new renderings that the new design looks a lot more like Ballards original design. I do, and we were all happy when that came out. I think we will be getting a good product.

Definitely agree with the last sentence. The press box looks very different to me though.

We have had a lot of hurdles and uncertainty regarding this. But we're just 15 months away from seeing football in the new FF. That's pretty cool.

I'm also happy they found a way to get a new scoreboard. Finally the student section will be able to chant "bull.. ****" and know with certainty whether or not the call was bad.

New scoreboard is in same location. Students will have a very bad view of the scoreboard.

Speaking of the scoreboard. Very very disappointed with the new renderings. No bigger than the old. Same location. Unless they remove the advertising along each side (yea right!) what are we really getting? The video display has to take up the whole width or it is money thrown down the drain.

Are were sure the new renderings include the new scoreboard? I just assumed that was the old one. The field and scoreboard are separate from the stadium renovation. I'm still hopeful for a much nicer, larger board. It would be great if they put the new one above the student bleachers, and continued to use the old one by putting it on top of the game day building so students could see it.
06-14-2018 09:57 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(06-14-2018 09:57 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 09:25 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  

Are were sure the new renderings include the new scoreboard? I just assumed that was the old one. The field and scoreboard are separate from the stadium renovation. I'm still hopeful for a much nicer, larger board. It would be great if they put the new one above the student bleachers, and continued to use the old one by putting it on top of the game day building so students could see it.

It sure looks like the old scoreboard in the renderings. But it's not like those pictures are high quality either.

In this article, Wood says the scoreboard will be bigger. But he doesn't say it will be moved. I guess I just assumed they would keep the old one as well since we do need two.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...f6ec5.html
06-14-2018 10:17 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

06-23-2018 11:59 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

06-26-2018 12:07 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

06-28-2018 07:34 AM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

N/a
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2018 09:00 PM by bigblueodu.)
06-28-2018 08:59 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...8e997.html

Not much but something from Ed Miller.
07-17-2018 10:31 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
Last weekend I attended the new DC United Stadium (Audi Field). It holds 20,000 people. The stadium isn't big but it was perfect for what it was and it was loud as well. While I know we are past talking about how the new FF should and could look like, I couldn't help but think that it would be a perfect stadium for a smaller-time college football program (It does have slots for goal posts and playclocks for future multi-use). It is almost a 100% closed in bowl, with the exception coming from the NorthEast corner. the stands were steep but you still had plenty of legroom and it retained lots of sound and the place erupted with every goal and when Wayne Rooney hyped up he crowd when he came in the second half. The stadium is almost 100% individual seats, with the exception of bleachers with chairbacks behind the North goal for the GA fan section (almost like a student section IMO).

They do also share our scoreboard problem where parts of the north section can't see it :D

If we get anything close to what Audi field is, I'll be more than happy

[Image: 1000541862.jpg.0.jpg]
07-20-2018 01:45 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2018 01:45 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Last weekend I attended the new DC United Stadium (Audi Field). It holds 20,000 people. The stadium isn't big but it was perfect for what it was and it was loud as well. While I know we are past talking about how the new FF should and could look like, I couldn't help but think that it would be a perfect stadium for a smaller-time college football program (It does have slots for goal posts and playclocks for future multi-use). It is almost a 100% closed in bowl, with the exception coming from the NorthEast corner. the stands were steep but you still had plenty of legroom and it retained lots of sound and the place erupted with every goal and when Wayne Rooney hyped up he crowd when he came in the second half. The stadium is almost 100% individual seats, with the exception of bleachers with chairbacks behind the North goal for the GA fan section (almost like a student section IMO).

They do also share our scoreboard problem where parts of the north section can't see it :D

It cost $400 million, and while the price tag wouldn't be nearly that high in Norfolk, you're still talking about a nine-figure ask, probably still more than the roughly $150 million for the built-out, all-phases-included version of Foreman.

Here's hoping ODU treats its die-hard supporters better than DCU has thus far.

EDIT: Almost forgot, they rushed that thing to completion and from accounts it showed, most notably when a piece of railing fell and conked their marketing and communications vice president/sideline reporter in the head, giving her a concussion. So in the hope pile for ODU, add "hope it makes safety a priority in its construction."
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2018 01:56 PM by Cyniclone.)
07-20-2018 01:53 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(07-20-2018 01:53 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(07-20-2018 01:45 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Last weekend I attended the new DC United Stadium (Audi Field). It holds 20,000 people. The stadium isn't big but it was perfect for what it was and it was loud as well. While I know we are past talking about how the new FF should and could look like, I couldn't help but think that it would be a perfect stadium for a smaller-time college football program (It does have slots for goal posts and playclocks for future multi-use). It is almost a 100% closed in bowl, with the exception coming from the NorthEast corner. the stands were steep but you still had plenty of legroom and it retained lots of sound and the place erupted with every goal and when Wayne Rooney hyped up he crowd when he came in the second half. The stadium is almost 100% individual seats, with the exception of bleachers with chairbacks behind the North goal for the GA fan section (almost like a student section IMO).

It cost $400 million, and while the price tag wouldn't be nearly that high in Norfolk, you're still talking about a nine-figure ask, probably still more than the roughly $150 million for the built-out, all-phases-included version of Foreman.

Here's hoping ODU treats its die-hard supporters better than DCU has thus far.

EDIT: Almost forgot, they rushed that thing to completion and from accounts it showed, most notably when a piece of railing fell and conked their marketing and communications vice president/sideline reporter in the head, giving her a concussion. So in the hope pile for ODU, add "hope it makes safety a priority in its construction."

I was speaking on design mostly when I said I would be happy if we got something close to that, but I don't know how the job was bought out or how it was budgeted. And yeah they did screw over La Barra Brava and the District Ultras, but the team has met with them both again and hopefully they can work out a deal this time. My friend has gone to many DCU games at old RFK and said that it was nowhere near as rowdy opening night as it was back then. And what happened to the reported was unacceptable, I hope she's okay. That falls (no pun intended) directly on the general contractor.

And funny story, my company was originally awarded the bid for the stadium only for it to be pulled and given to the contractor that built it due to the partnership between said contractor and I believe the developer. It's one of the only major professional stadium in the DC area that my company didn't build (FedEx field, the now named Capital One Arena, Camden Yards, and Nats park were all built by us). We were not too happy when it got pulled, if one could imagine lol
07-20-2018 02:21 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs

Glad to hear someone else was in there. We had an amazing time. Thinking about jumping on season tickets there too. The stadium was very loud (mostly due to the walls being so steep and enclosed) and entire experience was very nice. I think if ODU could build similar to those specs with expansion potential, we will be able to recruit the 757. Of course it helps to have an atmosphere where songs and traditions are passed around pre-game on sheets like DC United did. And that's an entirely different and longstanding story.

But it was a great time for everyone not named Lindsay Simpson or the Vancouver Whitecaps.
07-20-2018 02:40 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(07-20-2018 02:40 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  

Glad to hear someone else was in there. We had an amazing time. Thinking about jumping on season tickets there too. The stadium was very loud (mostly due to the walls being so steep and enclosed) and entire experience was very nice. I think if ODU could build similar to those specs with expansion potential, we will be able to recruit the 757. Of course it helps to have an atmosphere where songs and traditions are passed around pre-game on sheets like DC United did. And that's an entirely different and longstanding story.

But it was a great time for everyone not named Lindsay Simpson or the Vancouver Whitecaps.

That stadium looks nice and while 400 MM looks too steep for our budget like some one mentioned it will certainly not cost that much in Hampton Roads and not with the existing gameday building in place. If we can somehow manage to get a slightly different version of it for 150 MM in stages that would be great. Too bad we couldn't get a corporate donor for naming rights or have some donors with pretty deep pockets that can make that a reality. I trust Ballard will make what ever we had in plans look good with the budget we have. Can't wait for FB season to start.
07-20-2018 07:32 PM
bit_9 Offline

After the bridge failure at FxU safety is a concern big time. Always is but even more so now for campus const projects.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
07-20-2018 08:47 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

Hard to believe but we are 4 months away from major construction starting at Foreman Field.
07-24-2018 04:05 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2018 04:05 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Hard to believe but we are 4 months away from major construction starting at Foreman Field.

and still, don't have a detailed mockup!?!
07-24-2018 04:27 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2018 04:27 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  
(07-24-2018 04:05 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Hard to believe but we are 4 months away from major construction starting at Foreman Field.

Are you looking for something in addition to the renderings that were released?
07-24-2018 04:32 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

They have close to 800 piles to drive and then vertical construction can begin. I suspect Koch Hall will have to vacated as well as parts of Old Admin. That is a lot of piles in such a short time.
07-24-2018 05:11 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2018 04:32 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(07-24-2018 04:27 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  

Are you looking for something in addition to the renderings that were released?

I’d love to see one of those fly through animations etc. Also still hoping there’s a miracle and we find a way to add some suites or if anything is done to at least jazz up the press box so it doesn’t look like a trailer sitting on top. Would also like to see what the have in mind for the scoreboard.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 11:20 AM by monarx.)
07-24-2018 07:37 PM
monarchfan4life Offline
2nd String

(07-24-2018 05:11 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  They have close to 800 piles to drive and then vertical construction can begin. I suspect Koch Hall will have to vacated as well as parts of Old Admin. That is a lot of piles in such a short time.

Koch Hall will be vacated in the fall (TBD) and various offices dispersed to different buildings on campus. The plan is far along but not yet final. Koch Hall's HVAC system and roof will be replaced during this time. As far as I know, no other buildings are planned to be vacated.
07-25-2018 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.