ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NEW stadium construction
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: NEW stadium construction
Cool drawings. Looks like an erector set tucked into very limited space.

The erector set thing is sarcasm. It looks fine. Has adequate seating. I think ours will be better. Smaller to start. But better. =] *whips out measuring stick*
01-18-2018 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUi Offline
1st String

I think ours Will be better too. The space their working with is tighter than ours. The stadium height is designed to be no taller than the surrounding row homes... Of course they can dig below ground.
01-18-2018 03:41 PM
bit_9 Offline

Ya, substructures is our biggest issue on multiple fronts. And the fact that whatever we build will be under water in 100 years. But whatev's. Not my problem!
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 03:44 PM by bit_9.)
01-18-2018 03:44 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Looks like a darn good set-up in a great neighborhood. Congrats to EHG.
01-18-2018 03:46 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I hope you guys are right about ours being better. This seems to have a nice tower for suites, club and press box plus a nice scoreboard. If phase one came out anything like this, just with 22,000 seats, I'd be satisfied. I like how they incorporated the brick into it so the erector set pieces don't look so cheap. I hope we do that too.
01-18-2018 03:50 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Based on these photos alone, it looks like tailgating will come at an even bigger premium there.
01-18-2018 03:52 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-18-2018 02:52 PM)monarx Wrote:  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...80118.html

Nice. A $130 million 35,000 seat stadium. Not bad for a historically bad G5 program in an urban area 5 hours up the road. This is a program we thought we would surpass rather quickly. ODU needs to keep up. I truly hope we get good news soon and aren't terribly disappointed.

One question. What is the transportation set up? I don't see any major arteries anywhere nearby. Parking going to be an issue??
01-18-2018 03:56 PM
Punk Offline
1st String

Temple isn't exactly in the best part of Philly to begin with, and there are virtually zero parking lots nearby that area.

This is listed in their FAQ about parking.

"Games or events at the proposed multipurpose facility are intended to be largely pedestrian experiences. With so many students being able to walk to the stadium, there will not be a need for massive concrete lots like those at the Linc."
01-18-2018 03:59 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2018 03:56 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(01-18-2018 02:52 PM)monarx Wrote:  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...80118.html

Nice. A $130 million 35,000 seat stadium. Not bad for a historically bad G5 program in an urban area 5 hours up the road. This is a program we thought we would surpass rather quickly. ODU needs to keep up. I truly hope we get good news soon and aren't terribly disappointed.

One question. What is the transportation set up? I don't see any major arteries anywhere nearby. Parking going to be an issue??

Philly has a very good public transit system with plenty of busses, subway and I believe a metro stop at the campus. There is also a large population that lives nearby, though Im not certain they are associated with the university much, sort of how Park Place isn't associated with ODU.
01-18-2018 04:00 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(01-18-2018 03:59 PM)Punk Wrote:  Temple isn't exactly in the best part of Philly to begin with, and there are virtually zero parking lots nearby that area.

This is listed in their FAQ about parking.

"Games or events at the proposed multipurpose facility are intended to be largely pedestrian experiences. With so many students being able to walk to the stadium, there will not be a need for massive concrete lots like those at the Linc."

The local pubs are probably very excited. They should make a killing on game day.
01-18-2018 04:09 PM
ODUi Offline
1st String

Notice the multipurpose label... Allowing them to add classroom, research, and lab space. Maybe additional money from the state for construction costs? I don't know, just throwing that out there.
01-18-2018 04:09 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(01-18-2018 04:09 PM)ODUi Wrote:  Notice the multipurpose label... Allowing them to add classroom, research, and lab space. Maybe additional money from the state for construction costs? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

Yep. I saw they have a concussion research center included, which also opens the opportunity to land grants that may help fund the operation and/or costs of that space.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 04:19 PM by Monarchist13.)
01-18-2018 04:19 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(01-18-2018 04:09 PM)ODUi Wrote:  Notice the multipurpose label... Allowing them to add classroom, research, and lab space. Maybe additional money from the state for construction costs? I don't know, just throwing that out there.
Yep. That's how you get non athletic funding. We are doing that, both for our stadium as well as for our arena.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-18-2018 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

Seems with our great physical therapy program there would be a legit reason to put that inside the stadium. Maybe thats how we get the end zone built. Whatever it is, I just hope its good enough to compete well with the rest of the G5.
01-18-2018 05:42 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

NEW stadium construction
It's really odd that this has never been discussed at ODU. Does anyone know if VA state laws prevent ODU from allocating "education money" to the stadium If it is a multipurpose structure? If it IS an option seems like malpractice not to explore it considering the financial difficulties surrounding this project.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
01-18-2018 05:53 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2018 05:53 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  It's really odd that this has never been discussed at ODU. Does anyone know if VA state laws prevent ODU from allocating "education money" to the stadium If it is a multipurpose structure? If it IS an option seems like malpractice not to explore it considering the financial difficulties surrounding this project.

How do you know the admistration has never discussed this?
01-18-2018 05:55 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(01-18-2018 05:55 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-18-2018 05:53 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  It's really odd that this has never been discussed at ODU. Does anyone know if VA state laws prevent ODU from allocating "education money" to the stadium If it is a multipurpose structure? If it IS an option seems like malpractice not to explore it considering the financial difficulties surrounding this project.

I don't, but considering we saw a report from a seven figure study that never mentioned it, and we have heard tons of other info about the project, it seems likely that there was never a ton of consideration about it. Maybe they were able to quickly rule it out, and as such there was no need to communicate with all the other stadium info we have heard.

01-18-2018 06:04 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(01-18-2018 06:04 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(01-18-2018 05:55 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

I don't, but considering we saw a report from a seven figure study that never mentioned it, and we have heard tons of other info about the project, it seems likely that there was never a ton of consideration about it. Maybe they were able to quickly rule it out, and as such there was no need to communicate with all the other stadium info we have heard.

Just wondering if, due to the fact we are building on a postage stamp, if there is simply not enough space to make it multipurpose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-18-2018 06:52 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I bet we have wasted close to $5M on consultants, surveys, and conceptual designs and we are no closer today to a new stadium that we were 3 years ago. Plus during that time construction costs have risen close to 25%. So today, I guess we are still in the design phase between the architect and builder (Ballard). We still have the detail design to do, permitting, etc. Does anyone thing we will break ground at the end of this coming season ?
01-18-2018 07:00 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

NEW stadium construction
I think it will happen on time.

01-18-2018 07:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.