NEW stadium construction
ODU2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: NEW stadium construction
(01-14-2018 05:22 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 06:01 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 05:31 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 04:23 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Their vision of 30k seats remains. It just will take longer than most of us want to happen.
Yeah, and light rail was envisioned to go to the Oceanfront. Once the 20k underwhelming pile of scrap metal starts producing empty seats before the end of year 1, phase 2 will never happen. If you actually believe otherwise after 5 years of empty promises in exchange for a short term money grab, I have a bridge to sell you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You're right that they may never get to phase 2 or 3.

But there is no need to be condescending. Especially since I never said it was guaranteed.

I just said the vision remains. Pretty much all college football teams have future phases they may never build.

Hopefully an update with good info is coming soon... 07-coffee3

You’re usually in the know. Is this foreshadowing or just wishful thinking?!
01-15-2018 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(01-15-2018 02:29 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 02:26 PM)Monarch Blue Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 05:31 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Yeah, and light rail was envisioned to go to the Oceanfront. Once the 20k underwhelming pile of scrap metal starts producing empty seats before the end of year 1, phase 2 will never happen. If you actually believe otherwise after 5 years of empty promises in exchange for a short term money grab, I have a bridge to sell you.

But there is no need to be condescending. Especially since I never said it was guaranteed.

I just said the vision remains. Pretty much all college football teams have future phases they may never build.

When do Broderick and company finally announce that we are dropping back to FCS.

That's not happening.
Agree. Egos at that level seldom open themselves up to accountability for mistakes. They'll double down and bury us before making a responsible decision.

01-15-2018 02:56 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(01-15-2018 02:53 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 05:31 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 04:23 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Their vision of 30k seats remains. It just will take longer than most of us want to happen.
Yeah, and light rail was envisioned to go to the Oceanfront. Once the 20k underwhelming pile of scrap metal starts producing empty seats before the end of year 1, phase 2 will never happen. If you actually believe otherwise after 5 years of empty promises in exchange for a short term money grab, I have a bridge to sell you.

The use of the ellipsis and that emoji makes me think he knows something.
01-15-2018 03:04 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-15-2018 03:04 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 05:31 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Yeah, and light rail was envisioned to go to the Oceanfront. Once the 20k underwhelming pile of scrap metal starts producing empty seats before the end of year 1, phase 2 will never happen. If you actually believe otherwise after 5 years of empty promises in exchange for a short term money grab, I have a bridge to sell you.

Coffee drinkers know everything
01-15-2018 03:14 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(01-15-2018 03:14 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 03:04 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 06:01 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  You're right that they may never get to phase 2 or 3.

Coffee drinkers know everything

Oddly enough I don't actually drink coffee but that emoji just gives off the right vibe for me in this case. Stay tuned... 07-coffee3
01-15-2018 03:43 PM
HeadsetGuy Offline
Special Teams

Consider this list:
1. A base annual salary of $174,000
2. Free airport parking (Dulles and Reagan)
3. A free, on-site gym for House members
4. Weakened insider trading restrictions
5. Up to 239 days off
6. Congress receives health-care subsidies under Obamacare
7. A better retirement plan
8. Members of Congress fly free
9. Death benefits while in office
10. A $1.2 million to $3.3 million allowance (staff and allowances)

How did Congress get these perks? Congress is barely (if at all) subject to realities.
I just want a new stadium, but financial realities are just that, realities.
Not everyone has a Lexus in the driveway, maybe when their kids leave, not at the beginning of their family development.

Instead of denigrating ODU, ignoring reality, attacking personnel, etc. try a couple of these ideas:
1. relax, its not your money, stop spending like its Stadium Tycoon or DraftKings
2. talk to your City Council, they love to spend money, why do they drop some on stadium construction?
3. get your company to financially support ODU Athletics, every dollar helps
4. try yoga
01-15-2018 05:19 PM
bit_9 Offline

Haha. 04-cheers

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
01-15-2018 05:38 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
Is any private money being raised specifically for the stadium?

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app
01-15-2018 06:31 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(01-15-2018 06:31 PM)ODU2017 Wrote:  Is any private money being raised specifically for the stadium?

Depends on what you mean. If it is to have private companies partner on the Stadium to do a public private partnership and share revenues....NO !

If it is to try to raise $55M for phase 1 of construction, I think they are trying to decide the best approach because they will not want create confusion with or jeopardize the University level $200M funding / capital campaign. So the answer is TBD.

I wish they would be inclusive and say that this current fund raising effort could be partly used for the stadium as well as other priorities.
01-15-2018 06:47 PM
Monarch Blue Offline
2nd String

(01-15-2018 06:31 PM)ODU2017 Wrote:  Is any private money being raised specifically for the stadium?

Instead of calling a new stadium, why not call it what it is: some new bleachers.
01-15-2018 07:18 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Just over 9 months before construction is scheduled to begin and still no mock up for the masses to see or info about final size, seating, amenities or anything else.

Sure would be nice to see something, even a crumb
01-16-2018 08:00 PM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

(01-15-2018 07:18 PM)Monarch Blue Wrote:  

Instead of calling a new stadium, why not call it what it is: some new bleachers.

Hopefully not the kind of bleached where if you drop your keys they fall straight through to the ground below.
01-16-2018 08:12 PM
RoanokeMonarch Offline
1st String

My company works alot at Virginia Tech. It's amazing, like night and day difference, with the leadership between VT and ODU. Based on what I see, on a daily basis, VT knows exactly where they are going and where and what they want to be. On everything they do. From simple things to things on a huge scale. Leadership. Vision. Then, I look at my university, and think hmmm. How can we seem to screw up again and again on everything we touch and do? From athletic coaching hires, to game day atmospheres, to capital expenditures for a football stadium, on and on. There is such a lack of vision, it is really really sad. I just don't see why ODU Admin can't figure things out. When President Runte was there, she knew how to get things done and had a vision on what ODU should be. Since she left, I think we have lost our way.... Wow, I miss her. Her vision, her high energy, her hard work....
I know money talks, but leadership doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Just a clear vision and hard work.
Okay, I will get off my soapbox....
01-16-2018 08:31 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

Perhaps ODU could sell naming rights to Stadium:

You are looking LIVE at Stadium Stadium for today's game feature Old Dominion and FIU exclusively on Stadium.
01-16-2018 08:58 PM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

(01-16-2018 08:31 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  My company works alot at Virginia Tech. It's amazing, like night and day difference, with the leadership between VT and ODU. Based on what I see, on a daily basis, VT knows exactly where they are going and where and what they want to be. On everything they do. From simple things to things on a huge scale. Leadership. Vision. Then, I look at my university, and think hmmm. How can we seem to screw up again and again on everything we touch and do? From athletic coaching hires, to game day atmospheres, to capital expenditures for a football stadium, on and on. There is such a lack of vision, it is really really sad. I just don't see why ODU Admin can't figure things out. When President Runte was there, she knew how to get things done and had a vision on what ODU should be. Since she left, I think we have lost our way.... Wow, I miss her. Her vision, her high energy, her hard work....
I know money talks, but leadership doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Just a clear vision and hard work.

VT has John Ballein to think for that vision. Fun fact: Ballein is an ODU alum.
01-16-2018 09:15 PM
jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD
Im just waiting for us to call it off altogether at this point
01-16-2018 09:45 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(01-16-2018 08:31 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  My company works alot at Virginia Tech. It's amazing, like night and day difference, with the leadership between VT and ODU. Based on what I see, on a daily basis, VT knows exactly where they are going and where and what they want to be. On everything they do. From simple things to things on a huge scale. Leadership. Vision. Then, I look at my university, and think hmmm. How can we seem to screw up again and again on everything we touch and do? From athletic coaching hires, to game day atmospheres, to capital expenditures for a football stadium, on and on. There is such a lack of vision, it is really really sad. I just don't see why ODU Admin can't figure things out. When President Runte was there, she knew how to get things done and had a vision on what ODU should be. Since she left, I think we have lost our way.... Wow, I miss her. Her vision, her high energy, her hard work....

Even if you ignore the resource gap between the two schools (which is a huge part of it), you have to take into account the competition and politics we have to deal with here.

For example, do you think we'd have any trouble buying land to build a grocery store if we were located in a college town? Of course not.

When VT wants to expand or build anything, let alone the football stadium, do you think they care how some civic league reacts? Of course not.

Without VT, Blacksburg is just another town. They are Blacksburg and they can do pretty much whatever they want while we have to worry about not pissing off a whole bunch of groups.

Your line of sight gets a lot clearer without all those obstacles in your way.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018 09:52 PM by Monarchist13.)
01-16-2018 09:46 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2018 09:46 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Even if you ignore the resource gap between the two schools, you have to take into account the competition and politics we have to deal with here.

For example, do you think we'd have any trouble buying land to build a grocery store if we were located in a college town? Of course not.

When VT wants to expand or build anything, let alone the football stadium, do you think they care how some civic league reacts? Of course not.

Without VT, Blacksburg is just another town. They are Blacksburg and they can do pretty much whatever they want while we have to worry about not pissing off a whole bunch of groups.

I get your point, but I think it does raise what I think is a point of weakness. Our current admin does not seem to be good at politics. We not only lose, but rarely seem to even put up a fight whenever Richmond tries to make life more difficult. I would like to see ODU go to war for what it thinks is right just once.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
01-16-2018 09:56 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(01-16-2018 09:46 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Even if you ignore the resource gap between the two schools (which is a huge part of it), you have to take into account the competition and politics we have to deal with here.

Campus expansion gets me worked up so bear with me. I think the surrounding neighborhood is the number one problem facing ODU's future. JMU, VT, UVA and W&M can expand with impunity. We can't due to the "historical" neighborhood blocking us in.

Housing that was bottom of the barrel quality when it was built in the 1940s, has never been significantly renovated and today straddles the public health hazard line is not historical. It is however an example of graft. The city government preys on people's fears of being kicked out of their homes in order to receive votes and backing from the property management companies. In return the city funnels low income residents into the neighborhood for the property managers to feed on.

Any rise in property values, while bringing in more taxes, enhancing the neighborhood and bringing other benefits would topple the whole game and thus it cannot be allowed. This is why the city sabotages all proposed development. A supermarket? Nah, better to make the residents travel further to shop than any other residents in the whole city than risk toppling the house of cards.

It's a criminally inefficient use of land. But shame on us for setting up shop where we did.

If I won the lottery I wouldn't finance a stadium. I would buy up all the properties or management companies in that neighborhood I could and donate the land to ODU. Then I would fund ODU's eminent domain litigation/ settlement for the rest.

Neighborhoods change. It is unreasonable for pension aged residents, many of whom don't even own the properties to demand their neighborhood forever remain the way it has always been. A historical marker can suffice.

Maybe this problem will fix itself in 25 years.

Ps good news for NSU that Norfolk has plans to demolish the projects surrounding it. Any ideas where those displaced residents might end up?

01-16-2018 11:43 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
VCU, in the middle of the city of Richmond, also expands seemingly at will
01-16-2018 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.