ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Comparing Woods success from WKU to ODU
jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD
I know it hasnt been 10 years yet under Wood Selig but I think a fair comparison can be made

In 11 years at WKU, under Seligs leadership, the Hilltoppers posted 70 conference championships. A very impressive 6.4 championship seasons per year.

In 8 years at ODU, under Seligs leadership, the Monarchs have posted 7 conference championships. A not so impressive .875 championship seasons per year.

" Dr. Camden Wood Selig is in his eighth year as Director of Athletics at Old Dominion University, where his “Championship Effort” philosophy has helped to guide the department as one of the most respected and successful intercollegiate programs in the nation." 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 08:44 AM by jasdf.)
12-03-2017 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jasdf Offline
Banned

RE: Comparing Woods success from WKU to ODU
ODU plays eight ACC schools over the next four football seasons. Selig says that as long as NCAA scholarship levels – 85 for football and 13 for men’s basketball – are maintained, ODU can be competitive with the ACC in all sports.

“It’s very difficult and very challenging,” he said. “But no matter how much they spend, as long as the scholarship limits are untouched, they can’t corner the market on every athlete.

“There are enough outstanding athletes to go around.”
12-03-2017 09:01 AM
jasdf Offline
Banned

Don't forget that weve got the highest budget in our conference. Why arent we getting any bang for our buck in our major sports?
12-03-2017 09:02 AM
Advertisement

The Flagship Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(12-03-2017 08:37 AM)jasdf Wrote:  In 11 years at WKU, under Seligs leadership, the Hilltoppers posted 70 conference championships. A very impressive 6.4 championship seasons per year.

You're gonna have to list them or I'm calling BS.
12-03-2017 09:08 AM
jasdf Offline
Banned

(12-03-2017 09:08 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 08:37 AM)jasdf Wrote:  In 11 years at WKU, under Seligs leadership, the Hilltoppers posted 70 conference championships. A very impressive 6.4 championship seasons per year.

Selig spent 11 years directing the Western Kentucky University Hilltopper athletic program, which won 70 Sun Belt Conference championships from 2000-2010 and a national record 19 crowns in two seasons, 2008-2010.

From our website.
12-03-2017 09:14 AM
Advertisement

T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

It's the Sun Belt, though. ODU would clean up in the MEAC!

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app
12-03-2017 09:27 AM
jasdf Offline
Banned

(12-03-2017 09:27 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  It's the Sun Belt, though. ODU would clean up in the MEAC!

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app

I understand it's the sun belt. I was just a little shocked to see the difference in the numbers 70 to 7, take away 3 years to even it up at 8 years a piece and it's 51 to 7. Still a pretty large difference
12-03-2017 09:31 AM
Advertisement

The Flagship Offline
All American

(12-03-2017 09:14 AM)jasdf Wrote:  

Selig spent 11 years directing the Western Kentucky University Hilltopper athletic program, which won 70 Sun Belt Conference championships from 2000-2010 and a national record 19 crowns in two seasons, 2008-2010.

From our website.

Did a quick search and found 3 in baseball and 1 in men's golf and 2 in football (1-AA).
Around 30 in men's/women's cross country and track & field
Around 10 in women's volleyball
I see 5 in men's basketball (SBCT Champions)

I think there is some fuzzy math in there (Maybe individual championships?)

But he racked up a bunch in CC and T&F (both indoor and outdoor). If you have a strong men's and women's team, you can collect 4 team championships per year. Can't compare those numbers to the numbers in ODU program.
12-03-2017 09:56 AM
jasdf Offline
Banned

(12-03-2017 09:56 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 09:14 AM)jasdf Wrote:  

From our website.

Did a quick search and found 3 in baseball and 1 in men's golf and 2 in football (1-AA).
Around 30 in men's/women's cross country and track & field
Around 10 in women's volleyball
I see 5 in men's basketball (SBCT Champions)

I think there is some fuzzy math in there (Maybe individual championships?)

But he racked up a bunch in CC and T&F (both indoor and outdoor). If you have a strong men's and women's team, you can collect 4 team championships per year. Can't compare those numbers to the numbers in ODU program.

Fair enough. Im really more concerned with winning less than 1 championship per year than with how many WKU won under him. We have what 18 sports or something?

Based on that huge number of championships i figured that he was at least hired partially based on his track record of success. we have a lot of good things going for us, and some advantages over our conference mates.... feel like Wood should have us in a better place by now.

He also comes off as a bit delusional in some of his quotes.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 10:13 AM by jasdf.)
12-03-2017 10:04 AM
Advertisement

ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

Its not so much Selig as it is the fact he needs to get us out of this conference or get the conference realigned. It is killing us on all fronts. No passion from the fan base and incredibly difficult to recruit when CUSA absolutely sucks in both basketball and football.

We need to be in a regional league and that League needs to include JMU and Liberty. Plenty of others too ie Marshall, Charlotte, App State, MTSU, WKU, UAB, Ga. St, Ga Southern, Coastal.

Put the Basketball Tournament in location where its driveable for almost everyone. It would draw 30,000 plus over three days.

That would be the FBS version of what the CAA had developed into.

That’s what we must get back to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 10:47 AM by ODU1986.)
12-03-2017 10:38 AM
jasdf Offline
Banned

It is very much Selig, since it was Selig that brought us here
12-03-2017 10:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.