Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching Candidates
shakermaker05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ϟ KENT STATE ϟ
RE: Coaching Candidates
Coach Lewis received a nice reception during his introduction at the basketball game tonite. Couldn't help but notice a lot of people were in good spirits about the direction of the program. It's nice to have a little bit of enthusiasm back around the program!
12-21-2017 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-19-2017 10:40 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Remember you guys are now in the Baylor\Briles cult. (In a good way). Most of the hires will come from the Briles/Babers tree.

Among GA's one you want is Macky MacPherson from Cuse if available.

Macky is coming to your staff as a Full Time Assistant. RB Coach I believe...he was a real good Center for Cuse. His Grandfather was HoF Coach Dick MacPherson. I expect he'll be with you guys for a year or two in that position and will be upgraded. A rising star.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Macky/status/9...3283063808
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 11:48 PM by TexanMark.)
12-21-2017 11:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
The age of the entire coaching staff might be less than 100 lol.
12-21-2017 11:31 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Not sure how I feel about Andrew Sowder as the new OC. San Jose St didn't fair much better than Kent did last year. Now it was his first year being an OC so some growing pains were to be expected. Hopefully with Lewis having a few years in that role he will be able to help him out. The SJ head coach had no OC experience to help him grow.

SJ - 318/oypg 21 td 15.8/ppg
Kent - 275/oypg 18 td 12.8/ppg
12-22-2017 02:29 AM
KSU93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent state univ
I think we are watching a train wreck. He hasn’t even been a full time OC. He doesn’t have a lot of contacts for coaching assistants. This years recruiting class is gone. Giving him four years til we can see “his guys”. Regardless of what rumor you want to believe he was either our fourth or fifth choice or somewhere in the teens. I do know that Joel and Casey were gone for over a week begging candidates. The good news? This is absolutely Joel’s last hire for football. Now that gets me excited.
12-22-2017 06:44 AM
flash77 Offline
Bench Warmer

I don't understand why there was such a big deal with regard to the timing, & how long it took to vet & hire a coach. If I recall Western Michigan did not announce the hiring of Coach Lester until January of this year. Granted the circumstances were much different & WMU currently is on a roll. But a point to be made is that WMU's recruiting doesn't seem to have suffered. I would prefer to take your time & hire what you feel is the best candidate for the job.
12-22-2017 07:48 AM
goldenflash99 Offline
Special Teams

(12-22-2017 06:44 AM)KSU93 Wrote:  I think we are watching a train wreck. He hasn’t even been a full time OC. He doesn’t have a lot of contacts for coaching assistants. This years recruiting class is gone. Giving him four years til we can see “his guys”. Regardless of what rumor you want to believe he was either our fourth or fifth choice or somewhere in the teens. I do know that Joel and Casey were gone for over a week begging candidates. The good news? This is absolutely Joel’s last hire for football. Now that gets me excited.

It doesn't matter who the AD is. With our limited football coaching salary pool, we are rolling the dice every time we hire.
12-22-2017 08:35 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-22-2017 07:48 AM)flash77 Wrote:  I don't understand why there was such a big deal with regard to the timing, & how long it took to vet & hire a coach. If I recall Western Michigan did not announce the hiring of Coach Lester until January of this year. Granted the circumstances were much different & WMU currently is on a roll. But a point to be made is that WMU's recruiting doesn't seem to have suffered. I would prefer to take your time & hire what you feel is the best candidate for the job.

Amen. Never rush a hire. If a school like Kent doesn’t get turned down a few times it’s setting it’s sights too low.
12-22-2017 09:39 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I like the hire. Plain Dealer article did confirm that Vince Kehres did interview for the position.

I initially came into this process wanting kehres or someone with experience but this guy has energy. And sometimes being young and naïve you don't hear what others are saying or don't care about history. His old boss said he was too big for KSU so i'll take that as we got a Great find on our hands.

I'm sure there will be missteps but in 40 plus years of Kent football we have been one GIANT misstep.
12-22-2017 11:55 AM
Yessir Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent st.
Bottom line its what the university is willing to invest in this program. Not just about hiring and firing. Took years to get new field turf at Dix stadium. The turf in the field house looks like astro turf from the 80s. It can be done but everyone has to be on board. This coach has great energy just hope he is given the support needed. To get players better have equilvelant or better than other Mac football programs. Judging by the team in summit county the facilities are not even close. Cryo chambers and training rooms are great but are not even close to the football facilities. Dont have the budget figure out how to get money through fundraising. The issues are not just the coaches. Runs much deeper. The answers are up the food chain. Not just about the Coach
12-22-2017 02:05 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
12-23-2017 07:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thanksjim Offline
All American

Serious question, does Julian Edelman take over for Lewis once he leaves?
12-28-2018 05:39 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I would think Cribbs would interview for the job now that he helps coach the browns special teams.
12-28-2018 06:35 PM
Muskrat Online
1st String

Cribbs would have a better shot for that reason. D I teams currently don't like to hire coaches without previous D I assistant experience, though.
12-28-2018 08:58 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

Alrighty then. Cribbs as HC and Edelman on staff then. I like it!
12-28-2018 11:18 PM
Proud pilot Offline
Bench Warmer

After watching Wisconsin and Auburn both of which are on the 2019 schedule destroy their bowl games opponents I was wondering what part future scheduling had in the difficulty in landing a HC last year. Just a thought, how many candidates with drew their names when they realized that not only would you be playing at least three Power 5 teams a year but they are upper echelon teams. Based on the way he's scheduled future games ,obvious the AD priority is revenue producing games not win able ones.
12-28-2018 11:28 PM
KSU93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent state univ
He should schedule four money games. That way football can pay for itself and the other womens teams that do not generate revenue but we need to and rightfully so have in our dept due to title 9
12-29-2018 08:38 AM
Proud pilot Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-29-2018 08:38 AM)KSU93 Wrote:  He should schedule four money games. That way football can pay for itself and the other womens teams that do not generate revenue but we need to and rightfully so have in our dept due to title 9
So your logic for 4 money games is the university can not properly fund Title 9 man dates the football needs to? Thinking Coach Lewis could incorporate this logic in the pre game speech before the Auburn game. Kinda along the lines, I know you all work hard and want to win but this isn't about winning it's about you taking a physical beating so the university can fund other programs.
I think it's easy to say Kent State should play 4 money games when you are not participating in them.
12-29-2018 12:12 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-28-2018 06:35 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  I would think Cribbs would interview for the job now that he helps coach the browns special teams.

Coaching the Browns special teams might not be that much of a positive.
12-29-2018 09:00 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

(12-29-2018 09:00 PM)burden Wrote:  
(12-28-2018 06:35 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  I would think Cribbs would interview for the job now that he helps coach the browns special teams.

Coaching the Browns special teams might not be that much of a positive.

Hahaha can't argue with you over that. Their special teams do make me hold my breath everytime they come out. With the exception of Colquitt who is phenomenal.

I would love to see a coaching staff with Cribbs, Edelman and Harrison. That would be a hard trio to recruit against. The passion for the program plus their NFL accolades and name recognition would get them in most doors. They would be the hardest hitting team in the country with Harrison teaching the defense how to tackle.
12-29-2018 11:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.