Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Teams looking to become Bowl Eligible Week 12 and those still alive
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
RE: Teams looking to become Bowl Eligible Week 12 and those still alive
(11-13-2017 01:48 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-13-2017 01:42 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  Big 12 more likely than not will have 2 more teams teams eligible.

100% UT or Tech. Then would need a losing sweep in the other 3 games (two KSU and other game of loser of Tech and UT) to prevent a second team. Using FPI, KSU is 16% to win at OSU, 49.3% to win at home against ISU. Just for KSU, it is 58% chance of bowling. When you add in the chance the loser of UT and Tech gets a win is it a 71% chance the Big 12 will have 2 more teams eligible.

Just looking-
Texas is a 46.5% chance @ West Virginia(frankly feels a bit high)
TT is a 27.0% chance vs TCU(also feels a bit high)
Texas is a 69% favorite vs Texas Tech

Odds really good that Texas beats Tech. And Tech has much less of a shot vs TCU.

Then you add in the KSU chances for a win which around 57%. For only 1 B12 team it would be .43 (chance KSU goes winless) times combined chance for a TT loss/loss (.69 x .73) plus a Texas loss/loss (.31 x .535). That equals only a 29% chance KSU losses twice and either Tech or Texas loses twice, according to FPI.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017 03:18 PM by Frog in the Kitchen Sink.)
11-13-2017 03:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
there's a 39% chance that both Texas and Texas Tech lose this week by the numbers. And that feels extremely low quite frankly. If that happens, it's 50/50 with Kansas St if they've lost that the B12 gets 2 more.
11-13-2017 03:34 PM
All American

(11-13-2017 03:34 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there's a 39% chance that both Texas and Texas Tech lose this week by the numbers. And that feels extremely low quite frankly. If that happens, it's 50/50 with Kansas St if they've lost that the B12 gets 2 more.

And taken together, at this point it is more likely than not either KSU will win 1 of 2 or the UT/Tech loser will win its other game. After this week if all three lose, yeah it becomes a 50-50 proposition with KSU at home against ISU. But combined it is pretty unlikely (33%) all three will lose. I can say as a Frog fan going to Tech, I certainly see risk- on the road against a traditional rival, big game loss let down, lost our top RB, Tech fighting for bowl eligibility.
11-13-2017 03:58 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

61% chance that both Tech and Kansas St lose this weekend(with both of them less than 30% chance of winning). That would be the worst case for B12 as Texas is a pretty big favorite vs Tech end of the year. A lot of the odds that you are using includes Texas.
11-13-2017 04:12 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
One of either Texas or Texas Tech must become eligible. And Kansas State will be underdog in both its remaining games. Given the win probabilities cited above, it's hard for me to understand how K State has a 58% chance of going to a bowl. Sometimes statistics seem to trump common sense.

Theoretically all three could still get in. Texas could beat West Virginia Saturday, then lose to Texas Tech, getting them both eligible. Wonder what the odds are of that happening?
11-14-2017 09:27 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2017 09:27 AM)ken d Wrote:  One of either Texas or Texas Tech must become eligible. And Kansas State will be underdog in both its remaining games. Given the win probabilities cited above, it's hard for me to understand how K State has a 58% chance of going to a bowl. Sometimes statistics seem to trump common sense.

Theoretically all three could still get in. Texas could beat West Virginia Saturday, then lose to Texas Tech, getting them both eligible. Wonder what the odds are of that happening?

Only a 14.5% chance that Texas beats WV and then loses to Tech.
more likely 18.6% chance that Tech beats TCU and then loses to Texas.

Kansas St has a 58% chance because they still do have a 16% chance to beat Oklahoma St, and then the Iowa St game is basically 50/50. So their chances have to be greater than 50%.
11-14-2017 09:38 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-14-2017 09:38 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 09:27 AM)ken d Wrote:  One of either Texas or Texas Tech must become eligible. And Kansas State will be underdog in both its remaining games. Given the win probabilities cited above, it's hard for me to understand how K State has a 58% chance of going to a bowl. Sometimes statistics seem to trump common sense.

Kansas St has a 58% chance because they still do have a 16% chance to beat Oklahoma St, and then the Iowa St game is basically 50/50. So their chances have to be greater than 50%.

I'm not a statistician, and I understand that probability analysis is not intuitive. But to me, saying that K State has a 58% chance suggests that it is "more likely than not" that they will win at least one of two games in which they will be underdogs. To me, that conclusion is counterintuitive. It certainly isn't a bet I would make.
11-14-2017 10:47 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2017 10:47 AM)ken d Wrote:  

I'm not a statistician, and I understand that probability analysis is not intuitive. But to me, saying that K State has a 58% chance suggests that it is "more likely than not" that they will win at least one of two games in which they will be underdogs. To me, that conclusion is counterintuitive. It certainly isn't a bet I would make.

Well, one of the 2 games is basically a pick'em type of game. I don't know that they will be underdogs in the 2nd game at all.

And it really does make sense. If you believe that Kansas St has a 16% chance of beating Oklahoma St- and the 2nd game is a 50/50 game- You have to add in the chance that Kansas St beats Oklahoma St to the 50/50 chances. The 16% gets cut in half and added to the 50% for the 2nd game.

So you look at it-
7.9% to go 2-0
49.5% to go 1-1
42.6% to go 0-2
11-14-2017 10:59 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-14-2017 10:59 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Well, one of the 2 games is basically a pick'em type of game. I don't know that they will be underdogs in the 2nd game at all.

And it really does make sense. If you believe that Kansas St has a 16% chance of beating Oklahoma St- and the 2nd game is a 50/50 game- You have to add in the chance that Kansas St beats Oklahoma St to the 50/50 chances. The 16% gets cut in half and added to the 50% for the 2nd game.

So you look at it-
7.9% to go 2-0
49.5% to go 1-1
42.6% to go 0-2

Actually, I don't believe that K State has a 16% chance of beating OK State. Three touchdown underdogs don't win at nearly that rate. The data I've collected suggest it's closer to 5%. And, I don't view their chances against ISU at 50-50 either. If the game were being played this week, I would expect ISU to be a 3-5 point favorite. That's not much, but underdogs in that point spread range won less than 30% of the time.

Underdogs do win sometimes, and I'd guess they win more often in November than they do in October. So there's a chance. I might even pick them in a Pickem Contest if I were behind and trying to catch the leaders. I just wouldn't bet any real money on their chances.
11-14-2017 01:49 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2017 01:49 PM)ken d Wrote:  

So you look at it-
7.9% to go 2-0
49.5% to go 1-1
42.6% to go 0-2

Actually, I don't believe that K State has a 16% chance of beating OK State. Three touchdown underdogs don't win at nearly that rate. The data I've collected suggest it's closer to 5%. And, I don't view their chances against ISU at 50-50 either. If the game were being played this week, I would expect ISU to be a 3-5 point favorite. That's not much, but underdogs in that point spread range won less than 30% of the time.

Underdogs do win sometimes, and I'd guess they win more often in November than they do in October. So there's a chance. I might even pick them in a Pickem Contest if I were behind and trying to catch the leaders. I just wouldn't bet any real money on their chances.

even if you use the 5 and 30 percentages- that would give Kansas St a 33% chance of getting bowl eligible.
11-14-2017 02:36 PM
All American

So you look at it-
7.9% to go 2-0
49.5% to go 1-1
42.6% to go 0-2

3 point underdogs win about 45% of the time. 5 point underdogs win about 35%. 1 TD underdogs win 30% of the time. 10 point underdogs win 25% of the time. 2 TD underdogs win about 15% of the time. 17 point underdogs 10 % of the time

https://www.boydsbets.com/how-often-the-...-football/

In the big 12, TCU is a 1 TD favorite over Tech, WVU is 2.5 over UT, OSU a 17.5 over KSU. So those percentages are pretty similar to the ESPN FPI probabilities.

So if you use those percentages, the chance all three lose this weekend is only 34%, with UT most likely to win.
11-14-2017 03:34 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2017 03:34 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 09:38 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Only a 14.5% chance that Texas beats WV and then loses to Tech.

So you look at it-
7.9% to go 2-0
49.5% to go 1-1
42.6% to go 0-2

3 point underdogs win about 45% of the time. 5 point underdogs win about 35%. 1 TD underdogs win 30% of the time. 10 point underdogs win 25% of the time. 2 TD underdogs win about 15% of the time. 17 point underdogs 10 % of the time

https://www.boydsbets.com/how-often-the-...-football/

In the big 12, TCU is a 1 TD favorite over Tech, WVU is 2.5 over UT, OSU a 17.5 over KSU. So those percentages are pretty similar to the ESPN FPI probabilities.

So if you use those percentages, the chance all three lose this weekend is only 34%, with UT most likely to win.

And the problem for that is that Texas is also the most likely of the 3 to win next week...

Very possible it winds up at Texas at 7-5 and KSU and Tech both at 5-7.
11-14-2017 03:36 PM
All American

FWIW, our best RB is out for the year, three defensive starters are questionable and Hill might be out and we might be starting a freshman-

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...ed-raiders

Could be Patterson playing head games with Tech preparation, but if those guys are all out, especially starting a freshman QB week 11, I'd make that game a toss up.
11-14-2017 04:28 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Akron becomes 60
11-14-2017 10:55 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(11-14-2017 10:55 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Akron becomes 60

And man, does it feel good. Bowl eligible two of the last three years, after a decade of garbage.
11-14-2017 11:10 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Miami (OH) gets upset and will not bowl this year.
11-15-2017 10:32 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Texas is in
11-18-2017 03:43 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
ODU wins which means winner of MTSU vs ODU next week, so there will be a 63rd team
11-18-2017 04:49 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Latest update
11-18-2017 06:40 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
KSU going bowling
11-18-2017 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.