Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten hockey still struggling, even with Notre Dame
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
RE: Big Ten hockey still struggling, even with Notre Dame
(11-07-2017 10:43 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 10:36 AM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:01 AM)NoDak Wrote:  The top team in Michigan so far is WMU, as the Wolverines and Spartans are still struggling.

Sweet music to my ears! Hockey is a very different sport. ND would be better off in the NCHC. My dream would be to get the three MAC schools (WMU, BGSU, Miami) in the NCHC and add ND.

My take away is that the Big Ten Hockey Conference has been hurt by breaking up previous rivalries that fans valued. One approach for the B1G might be to expand from 7 to 8 or 9 schools, adding North Dakota and possibly one more traditional rival valued by the historic powerhouse hockey schools.

I know Miami would likely jump at it given how relevant the Big Ten teams are in our footprint and based on great rivalries we had in the CCHA. At the end of the day, Michigan is just a much bigger name than Minnesota-Duluth even if the latter is vastly better than the other. Won't happen though even if they do decide to expand (an unlikely proposition imo), OSU doesn't want Miami fans taking over their arena like we used to during home-and-homes (yeah, seriously).
11-07-2017 07:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
id like to see the B10 and Hockey East create some kind of challenge. Years ago there was an arrangement between HE and the WCHA. If I remember correctly it was several cross over series
11-07-2017 09:41 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(11-07-2017 07:44 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:01 AM)NoDak Wrote:  The top team in Michigan so far is WMU, as the Wolverines and Spartans are still struggling.

Sweet music to my ears! Hockey is a very different sport. ND would be better off in the NCHC. My dream would be to get the three MAC schools (WMU, BGSU, Miami) in the NCHC and add ND.

My take away is that the Big Ten Hockey Conference has been hurt by breaking up previous rivalries that fans valued. One approach for the B1G might be to expand from 7 to 8 or 9 schools, adding North Dakota and possibly one more traditional rival valued by the historic powerhouse hockey schools.

I know Miami would likely jump at it given how relevant the Big Ten teams are in our footprint and based on great rivalries we had in the CCHA. At the end of the day, Michigan is just a much bigger name than Minnesota-Duluth even if the latter is vastly better than the other. Won't happen though even if they do decide to expand (an unlikely proposition imo), OSU doesn't want Miami fans taking over their arena like we used to during home-and-homes (yeah, seriously).

Ohio State definitely doesn't do that well in the attendance department for hockey, and looks even worse because they play in a 17,000 seat facility. I'm not overly familiar with OSU hockey but I wonder if the Blue Jackets really hurt their attendance or if it has always been relatively low.
11-07-2017 09:55 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(11-07-2017 09:55 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 07:44 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

Ohio State definitely doesn't do that well in the attendance department for hockey, and looks even worse because they play in a 17,000 seat facility. I'm not overly familiar with OSU hockey but I wonder if the Blue Jackets really hurt their attendance or if it has always been relatively low.

It’s always low attendance for OSU, unless they are playing Michigan. That’s why OSU is trying to build a new hockey arena that is for hockey only. Something that seats about 6-7000 people.
11-07-2017 10:43 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(11-07-2017 09:41 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  id like to see the B10 and Hockey East create some kind of challenge. Years ago there was an arrangement between HE and the WCHA. If I remember correctly it was several cross over series

HE and the WCHA had a number of crossover series that counted for both league titles from 1984-88. That was when both leagues had eight teams and when they grew (UMass Merrimack, SCSU UAA), the interlocking schedules went out the window.
11-07-2017 11:15 PM
Sparty84 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Michigan State
Spartan here. I watched Michigan State hockey on campus when we were in the CCHA and loved it. I totally get the regional feel that was the CCHA. I also see from a BIG TEN business perspective that it makes more sense to integrate all of your teams into one conference. I do think it would be nice if some of the old rivals were integrated as affiliates.
11-08-2017 10:05 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(11-07-2017 01:01 PM)Shox Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:01 AM)NoDak Wrote:  http://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/sports...rence.html

While the Big Ten is better rated this year than last years, the top three rated teams have got to hurt its ego as they are NCHC teams:

1. St Cloud St
2. N Dakota
3. Denver

In the first four years of Big Ten hockey, no national champs, compared to:

1. NCHC 2
2. Hockey East 1
2. ECAC 1

Inter conference winning % so far this season:

1. NCHC .624
2 HE .564
3. B1G .543
4. ECAC .515
5. WCHA .392
6. AHA .260

The B1G has scheduled heavily against Atlantic Hockey so far (while the NCHC hasn't played the AHA yet), so their schedule has been relatively weak to boot.

The top team in Michigan so far is WMU, as the Wolverines and Spartans are still struggling.

Who cares, the B1G doesn't. The only question that matters is if those schools are making more money than they were in the WCHA/CCHA. If the answer is yes then all is according to plan.

Actually, the money is chump change either way. The more important thing is exposure. Are they getting more positive attention for the school in the Big 10?

Remember, the primary function of a college's athletic programs is to be a branch of the marketing department. Reach as many potential students as possible and enhance the school's reputation.
11-08-2017 05:53 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Why can't the Big Ten teams keep playing games against old foes from their pre-Big Ten days?
11-08-2017 07:04 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-08-2017 07:04 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Why can't the Big Ten teams keep playing games against old foes from their pre-Big Ten days?

Excpet for tournaments, western teams normally have two game series. Most of the Big Ten wont play at non Big Ten schools.

Minnesota cancelled the DQ Cup against the four Minny teams when Notre Dame was added to the B1G hockey.

B1G hockey now has 24 game conference schedule rather than 20 games.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 08:21 PM by NoDak.)
11-08-2017 08:18 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Good.

Also, to those that complain about the 'no regional rivalries anymore', last season WMU played Ferris St, Michigan St, Bowling Green St, and Michigan Tech. Add Miami of Ohio in Conference play, and that's pretty much half the CCHA right there. We've played Ferris St every year since joining the CCHA dissolution, and played Notre Dame every season till last season too. If North Dakota is playing it's big rivals every year out-of-conference, then the fan excitement is still there too.

Will UND join the Big 10? Depends on $$$$$$. Where will they make the most $$$$$. That's what it comes down too.

I also agree I'd love Bowling Green St and Notre Dame in the NCHC (as well as Arizona St). A west and an east division would work perfect.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 10:16 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-08-2017 10:14 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(11-08-2017 08:18 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 07:04 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Why can't the Big Ten teams keep playing games against old foes from their pre-Big Ten days?
Most of the Big Ten wont play at non Big Ten schools.

Minnesota cancelled the DQ Cup against the four Minny teams when Notre Dame was added to the B1G hockey.

Sad they cancelled that Cup. Was a great way to generate excitement.

Also, should surprise no one the Big 10 doesn't travel out-of-conference. UMich consistently schedules bottom-feeders to play at home out-of-conference.
11-08-2017 10:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-07-2017 11:06 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I wish hockey was a thing in the South

It is at the club level.
11-11-2017 12:15 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-11-2017 12:15 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

It is at the club level.

There are several levels of club teams, but no Southern team was at the top level of the ACHA until Alabama moved there recently The competition is probably analogous to NCAA DIIi. There are rumors that Alabama will build a college rink on campus and go varsity. That move would serve to continue lure northern students that have recently sent Alabama to record enrollmemts when Saban moves on.

Could see a future SEC type league with Tennessee,Vandy, Georgia, UAH and one other.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 01:06 AM by NoDak.)
11-11-2017 01:05 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(11-11-2017 01:05 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 12:15 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

It is at the club level.

There are several levels of club teams, but no Southern team was at the top level of the ACHA until Alabama moved there recently The competition is probably analogous to NCAA DIIi. There are rumors that Alabama will build a college rink on campus and go varsity. That move would serve to continue lure northern students that have recently sent Alabama to record enrollmemts when Saban moves on.

Could see a future SEC type league with Tennessee,Vandy, Georgia, UAH and one other.

Don't see it honestly. Maybe at an isolated school like UAH but not widespread SEC participation. I think Mizzou would be a good match to start a program but with their recent issues impacting the bottom line that probably won't happen.
11-11-2017 11:26 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
ND beat Penn State last night and is now 3-0 in conference, so far.
11-11-2017 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.