Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why a coach should (and shouldn't) take the Louisville basketball job
Bookmark and Share
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Why a coach should (and shouldn't) take the Louisville basketball job
Quote:The list is short: Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and then arguably Louisville. You can certainly make a case that Rick Pitino held one of the five most desirable coaching positions in college basketball.

How attractive is the Louisville job in its current state? Would coaches consider leaving their current spots take the chance on following Pitino with all the uncertainty?

We spoke to a half-dozen coaches about whether or not they would. Two said they would, and four told ESPN.com on the condition of anonymity that they wouldn't.

"If they want to get someone squeaky clean, they are going to have a tough time," said one of the potential candidates. "They're in a tough spot."

"You've got to listen," added another. "But it's not going to be as easy as some people think. They may have to get an interim for this season, and then hire someone in March or April."
Why to take the job

Money
Pitino was the highest-paid college basketball coach at about $7.8 million. While the school almost certainly won't pay his replacement as much, Louisville can toss out a more lucrative offer than just about anyone else.

What coaches are saying

"The money. They can pay as much if not more than anyone else. Look at what Pitino made. Maybe I won't make that much, but it'll still be significantly more than I'm making now. It'll be difficult to turn down."

"If I go, it would be for the money. That would be the primary reason. Period."

The chance to win a national title
Louisville has won three national titles -- in 1980, 1986 and 2013. The Cardinals have been to the Final Four on 10 occasions.

What coaches are saying

"You can win a national title there. That's the ultimate benefit to take the job. It's not going to happen right away, but the ceiling on Louisville is as high as just about anywhere.

"Where I'm at now, I'm just hoping to get a shot at a Final Four -- and even that's far-fetched. At Louisville, the goal every year is to get to the Final Four -- and it's not unrealistic."

Tradition
This is a program that has consistently won at the highest level, and sells out the Yum! Center.

What coaches are saying

"They have won national titles, they have a rabid fan base -- and it's a place that recruits itself because of that and also the support it has from the administration."

Being in the ACC
This is a league that gets exposure and has no shortage of quality programs and coaches. It's difficult to argue for any other conference in America being better.

What coaches are saying

"It's the best league in the country, maybe the best league in college basketball history. You've got guys like [Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski], [North Carolina coach] Roy [Williams], [Syracuse coach Jim] Boeheim. They are all getting older. It's the right time to get into the ACC."

Long contract
The typical deal for a new coach is five years, but there have been coaches who have received eight-year contracts, especially when taking over what is a tenuous situation. To get someone to Louisville, it's going to require a long-term commitment.

What coaches are saying

"My guess is they will be offering a lengthy deal with a lot of guaranteed money, so there's less pressure to win right away."

Youth required
If you understand that there will be some lean years, and can afford to be a little patient, then it makes sense. Someone in their 60s will have difficulty with a situation like this one because of the time and effort it will take to potentially rebuild.

What coaches are saying

"You can't be in your 50s or 60s and want to rebuild. This is a job for a younger guy who is going to outwork people and have the energy to deal with some down years early on."

"If I'm 44 years old instead of in my mid-50s, I'd go. But there's no way I am doing it now."

Why not take the job

Uncertainty
This is the big one because there's no telling what could happen to the program. It could face severe NCAA sanctions, and players could also decide to bolt. The next coach could inherit a major rebuilding task.

What coaches are saying

"I wouldn't take the job under these circumstances. It's a better job, there's no question. But there are too many questions for me to leave where I'm at right now."

Short-term misery
While this season's roster is good, there could be a ton of losses in the couple of years that follow.

What coaches are saying

"It'll be tough as you try and rebuild it. I know I'd be leaving a situation where I'm going to compete for an NCAA tournament. To give that up for getting your brains beat in is difficult."

Following Pitino
Pitino won a ton of games while he was at Louisville, so the bar has been set high in terms of fan expectations.

What coaches are saying

"If you're a clean guy, why would you want to follow a cheater at a place with a passionate fan base? If you aren't cheating, you won't win as much."

Taint
Even though Pitino is gone, the next coach will still have to deal with the negative recruiting aligned with taking over the program that has gone through more than one scandal recently.

What coaches are saying

"It's not going to be easy to get players, especially the players that they have been used to getting. There will be a hangover for a while -- and it won't make recruiting easy."

Leadership questions
There's an interim president, and it's unclear who will actually hire the coach. So, even if you take the job, you may not have complete confidence that the regime in place will be the one you work for in the years to come.

What coaches are saying

"It's so important nowadays to have a great working relationship with your athletic director and the administration. It would be pretty tough to take this job right now if they offered it to me not knowing who the heck I'll be working for and with in a year or two."

Timing
Practice has started, the season is weeks away and coaches would be leaving their current players on short notice.

What coaches are saying

"The timing is really hard. It would be tough to walk away from my players and even my staff right now. If it was a few months ago, then you wouldn't feel as bad."

Current satisfaction
Most of the coaches that spoke to ESPN.com are more than content in their current situations. There's stability, they make more money than they ever imagined and they are winning at a high enough level.

What coaches are saying

"Why take a risk when you're happy with what you have? Why go through all that when you don't have to?"
Final answer ...

Would a coach take the job if asked? The answers are mixed.

What coaches are saying?

"I can see some people taking it because it's a top 10 job with all the elements and ingredients, but there's no way I would take it right now. There's a lot attractive about it, but at the stage of my career it's not the right move for me."

"You have to take it. The money and the long-term potential is too much to pass up."

"I'm young enough, so I'd have to do it. I'd never even sniff a job like this in a normal situation."

"I don't want to go and deal with that mess. I'm in my 50s, and I love where I'm at now. I'm not saying I wouldn't be tempted by the money and might not ultimately go, but I doubt I'd take it."

"I wouldn't take it right now. Too many questions, and I can't give up a good thing for a risk like that."

"I'd be tempted, that's for sure. They are going to offer a ton of money and it's a great job, but it's not a great job right now."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...-cardinals
09-29-2017 03:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: Why a coach should (and shouldn't) take the Louisville basketball job
Sounds like a job for Paul Weir.
09-29-2017 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
(09-29-2017 06:31 PM)gleadley Wrote:  Sounds like a job for Paul Weir.

LOL! I was just wondering if this was going to morph into a "Barnes, Janns, Majerle, et al is showing interest in the Louisville posit.....

Seriously though....as as well as ask, is Pitino done or can he still salvage another job and if so, at what level (major, mid-major, ? IIRC, when the CSUB job was being flown, Jim Harrick applied. At the time, he had just been replaced at Bakersfield's D-League team)
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2017 11:07 PM by RunnerBall.)
09-29-2017 07:06 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Pitino is done forever. I would be shocked if he doesn't get a lengthy show cause penalty where he is banned from college sports.
09-29-2017 10:12 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I've seen Tom Crean, Marvin Menzies, Lorenzo Romar among other names but these 3 seem a bit crazy to me that they are being suggested by outlets.
09-30-2017 10:00 AM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
(09-30-2017 10:00 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  I've seen Tom Crean, Marvin Menzies, Lorenzo Romar among other names but these 3 seem a bit crazy to me that they are being suggested by outlets.

Menzies worked under Pitino at Louisville, so he has familiarity with the program. By all accounts, he is the epitome of squeaky clean which is what Louisville needs right now. He may actually make a good sacrificial lamb to right the ship, clean up the mess and then be replaced with a real coach.
10-02-2017 11:45 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(10-02-2017 11:45 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 10:00 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  I've seen Tom Crean, Marvin Menzies, Lorenzo Romar among other names but these 3 seem a bit crazy to me that they are being suggested by outlets.

Menzies worked under Pitino at Louisville, so he has familiarity with the program. By all accounts, he is the epitome of squeaky clean which is what Louisville needs right now. He may actually make a good sacrificial lamb to right the ship, clean up the mess and then be replaced with a real coach.

Real coach like Weir or Jans? I'm just giving you crap.
10-03-2017 09:02 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
(10-03-2017 09:02 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

Silly rabbit, you know the answer is Jans. Judas is dead to me...
10-03-2017 01:34 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(10-03-2017 01:34 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 09:02 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

Silly rabbit, you know the answer is Jans. Judas is dead to me...

Haha.
10-03-2017 10:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.