Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Stay in the Sun Belt
Yes
No, leave
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Question for Sun Belt Lurkers
Bookmark and Share
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
RE: Question for Sun Belt Lurkers
I would definitely want to keep USM and LaTech. Something like:

North
Marshall
ODU
APP
WKU
MT

South
USM
UAB
LaTech
StAte
Coastal

We lose a Florida presence, but this is good for fb and bb
09-21-2017 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-21-2017 04:35 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  I would definitely want to keep USM and LaTech. Something like:

North
Marshall
ODU
APP
WKU
MT

South
USM
UAB
LaTech
StAte
Coastal

Throw out CC and add GA Southern. CC isn't ready for IA at all, just the way I see it.
09-21-2017 05:38 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
From a GS fan perspective,

East: GS, GAST, App, ODU, Marshall, and MT

West: USM, La Tech, Ark State, WKU, Troy, and USA/UAB

If we could go to 14 add JMU to the East and ULL to the west. Any other alignment wouldn't be much different than playing in the current Sun Belt from a GS fan point of view so I'll stick with my Belt brothers.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 08:11 PM by TrueBlueDrew.)
09-21-2017 08:11 PM
Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
Don't think you're going to find a lot of enthusiasm by Middle Tennessee fans for hooking back up with Sun Belt teams. Just my opinion.
09-21-2017 08:53 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
I'm down with GaSo and App. No way at all to Troy, ArkSt, USA, Charlotte, ULaLa, CCU all for different reasons.

MT
UAB
ODU
Marshall
WKU
App
GaSo
USM
LaTech

1 of these guys:
FAU
GaSt
Charlotte

Leaning towards GaSt based on Turner Field, but WKU recruits HEAVILY in FL, so that's rationale for FAU. Charlotte only to tighten up geography, but their administration seems like they could support their $$ programs better...

All 3 would put us at 12 and check all the boxes, even giving the conference a couple easy wins for a few seasons.
09-21-2017 09:01 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(09-21-2017 05:38 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(09-21-2017 04:35 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  I would definitely want to keep USM and LaTech. Something like:

North
Marshall
ODU
APP
WKU
MT

South
USM
UAB
LaTech
StAte
Coastal

Throw out CC and add GA Southern. CC isn't ready for IA at all, just the way I see it.

Agreed
09-21-2017 09:06 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2017 08:53 PM)Blue Raider Dave Wrote:  Don't think you're going to find a lot of enthusiasm by Middle Tennessee fans for hooking back up with Sun Belt teams. Just my opinion.

I nor most of Marshall fans can stand the MAC. But if we were all trying to put a good competitive conference together the decent teams there I don't think would or could be over looked.

Its not like anyone outside of probably Akron or NIU would actually jump at it, if presented its self. CUSA already tried with Miami OH, Ohio and Toledo, in 2003.

Same could be said about the SB.

(09-21-2017 09:01 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  I'm down with GaSo and App. No way at all to Troy, ArkSt, USA, Charlotte, ULaLa, CCU all for different reasons.

MT
UAB
ODU
Marshall
WKU
App
GaSo
USM
LaTech

1 of these guys:
FAU
GaSt
Charlotte

Leaning towards GaSt based on Turner Field, but WKU recruits HEAVILY in FL, so that's rationale for FAU. Charlotte only to tighten up geography, but their administration seems like they could support their $$ programs better...

All 3 would put us at 12 and check all the boxes, even giving the conference a couple easy wins for a few seasons.

This is the same 9 I came up with. And if you just wanted to play a round robin schedule where the winner of the regular season is your football champion that year then RR is the way to go. If you want to have a championship game then one more would have to be added. Out of the 3 that you suggested Id go with FAU, no need for GA State if you already have GA Southern.
09-21-2017 09:20 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
A lot of y'all can make these conferences and just leave USM out of them. We have no interest being with GA Southern/State, App State or Coastal. We honestly aren't interested in many of the teams in our conference, but don't feel like listing them.
09-21-2017 09:25 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(09-21-2017 08:53 PM)Blue Raider Dave Wrote:  Don't think you're going to find a lot of enthusiasm by Middle Tennessee fans for hooking back up with Sun Belt teams. Just my opinion.

Would love to be back in the same conference as the Cajuns.

My waistline does NOT miss the trips to Lafayette, however.

MT fans treated like royalty by Cajuns fans, for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:29 PM by KAjunRaider.)
09-21-2017 09:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2017 09:25 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  A lot of y'all can make these conferences and just leave USM out of them. We have no interest being with GA Southern/State, App State or Coastal. We honestly aren't interested in many of the teams in our conference, but don't feel like listing them.

We will just start putting you in the Southland then. That way you can have a real regionalized conference.
09-21-2017 09:33 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Make it happen guys. North Texas will be headed to the B12.
07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 10:59 PM by Green Menace.)
09-21-2017 10:58 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(09-21-2017 10:58 PM)Green Menace Wrote:  Make it happen guys. North Texas will be headed to the B12.
07-coffee3

There are a lot of barriers but it DOES need to happen.

UTEP definitely belongs in either the MWC or a Texas-predominant league. You can make the same argument that UNT, UTSA, and Rice are fit for the MWC. All of you between are better off that way. But because it is highly unlikely the MWC is ever going to come off their current numbers, a Texas type league with Ark State, ULL, etc. (i.e. probably Texas St) would make more sense. You guys certainly have a lot more history with schools like that than you do Marshall, Charlotte, ODU, etc. There is no reason for us to be stretched from the Atlantic Ocean to the desert of west Texas.

But there is also no reason for MT or wkcc to go back to playing ULM or having schools like Georgia St or Coastal Carolina on the conference schedule. And it's not that we are too good. I just don't see those schools have the same commitment to competition. There are too many who are just fielding sports to field sports.

All I'm looking for with respect to my alma mater is to find a somewhat more regional arrangement with schools who are committed to making the Access Bowl in football, the NCAA Tournament in basketball and fielding competitive programs in all the other sports that can win conference championships and compete with power conferences in the non-conference in those sports. Current members of the Sun Belt and C-USA can say they are doing that, but a good portion of both (especially in the Belt) can't say it with a straight face.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 06:36 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-22-2017 06:29 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(09-22-2017 06:29 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(09-21-2017 10:58 PM)Green Menace Wrote:  Make it happen guys. North Texas will be headed to the B12.
07-coffee3

There are a lot of barriers but it DOES need to happen.

UTEP definitely belongs in either the MWC or a Texas-predominant league. You can make the same argument that UNT, UTSA, and Rice are fit for the MWC. All of you between are better off that way. But because it is highly unlikely the MWC is ever going to come off their current numbers, a Texas type league with Ark State, ULL, etc. (i.e. probably Texas St) would make more sense. You guys certainly have a lot more history with schools like that than you do Marshall, Charlotte, ODU, etc. There is no reason for us to be stretched from the Atlantic Ocean to the desert of west Texas.

But there is also no reason for MT or wkcc to go back to playing ULM or having schools like Georgia St or Coastal Carolina on the conference schedule. And it's not that we are too good. I just don't see those schools have the same commitment to competition. There are too many who are just fielding sports to field sports.

All I'm looking for with respect to my alma mater is to find a somewhat more regional arrangement with schools who are committed to making the Access Bowl in football, the NCAA Tournament in basketball and fielding competitive programs in all the other sports that can win conference championships and compete with power conferences in the non-conference in those sports. Current members of the Sun Belt and C-USA can say they are doing that, but a good portion of both (especially in the Belt) can't say it with a straight face.

+1 good post. I feel the same way. Though I do think Ga St is trying.
09-22-2017 06:40 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
The challenge with the OP question, as seen in this thread, is there are about 30 different fictitious new conference variations, that will change the vote for each individual person. But if I have to create a new league based on what's best for Louisiana, it would be this 10.

Rice
Louisiana
Arkansas St.
USM
MT
WKY
USA
UAB
Troy
La Tech

this league would have good football, basketball, baseball, geography for fans and players, rivalries built on both hate and respect, plus all schools invest in their programs.

the question I would like to know, is if any of the 10 listed not want to be apart of this league?
09-22-2017 07:16 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

(09-22-2017 07:16 AM)balanced_view Wrote:  The challenge with the OP question, as seen in this thread, is there are about 30 different fictitious new conference variations, that will change the vote for each individual person. But if I have to create a new league based on what's best for Louisiana, it would be this 10.

Rice
Louisiana
Arkansas St.
USM
MT
WKY
USA
UAB
Troy
La Tech

this league would have good football, basketball, baseball, geography for fans and players, rivalries built on both hate and respect, plus all schools invest in their programs.

the question I would like to know, is if any of the 10 listed not want to be apart of this league?

^ Seriously doubt ANYTHING is happening anytime soon, but when/if it does, I doubt it'll be the above. Marshall, MTSU, WKU, ODU, (probably USM and LaTech) would want to stay together.
09-22-2017 08:52 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

(09-21-2017 05:38 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

North
Marshall
ODU
APP
WKU
MT

South
USM
UAB
LaTech
StAte
Coastal

I absolutely can deal with that.
09-22-2017 08:53 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(09-21-2017 09:20 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

I nor most of Marshall fans can stand the MAC. But if we were all trying to put a good competitive conference together the decent teams there I don't think would or could be over looked.

Its not like anyone outside of probably Akron or NIU would actually jump at it, if presented its self. CUSA already tried with Miami OH, Ohio and Toledo, in 2003.

Same could be said about the SB.

(09-21-2017 09:01 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  I'm down with GaSo and App. No way at all to Troy, ArkSt, USA, Charlotte, ULaLa, CCU all for different reasons.

MT
UAB
ODU
Marshall
WKU
App
GaSo
USM
LaTech

1 of these guys:
FAU
GaSt
Charlotte

This is the same 9 I came up with. And if you just wanted to play a round robin schedule where the winner of the regular season is your football champion that year then RR is the way to go. If you want to have a championship game then one more would have to be added. Out of the 3 that you suggested Id go with FAU, no need for GA State if you already have GA Southern.

Great minds... 04-cheers
09-22-2017 09:31 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

Or Topper fans. UAB USM and Latech are far superior to ULL, USA and Troy in terms of perceived prestige/recognition and commitment to both sports, sorry guys. We all fought tooth and nail to get out of the Belt. It's no coincidence that GaSo and App are on more wishlists here than arkst.
09-22-2017 09:36 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-22-2017 08:52 AM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  
(09-22-2017 07:16 AM)balanced_view Wrote:  The challenge with the OP question, as seen in this thread, is there are about 30 different fictitious new conference variations, that will change the vote for each individual person. But if I have to create a new league based on what's best for Louisiana, it would be this 10.

Rice
Louisiana
Arkansas St.
USM
MT
WKY
USA
UAB
Troy
La Tech

^ Seriously doubt ANYTHING is happening anytime soon, but when/if it does, I doubt it'll be the above. Marshall, MTSU, WKU, ODU, (probably USM and LaTech) would want to stay together.

I'm pretty sure it wont happen either, like all of these list wont happen. it would be interesting to see how it would shake out with the group you listed. all but Marshall and Odu would stay together in my original list.
09-22-2017 10:14 AM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
07-coffee3

With that football dynasty of yours coupled with your baseball program, you should be a shoe-in.
09-22-2017 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.