Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Player on the verge of stardom?
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Is Spencer Tears on the verge of breaking through? I think he has the ability as I have been saying from Day One. Hopefully he has been any off the field issues behind him. He will have to fight not having a solid QB and poor coaching in the near term which might limit his development, but he has shown some brief spurts of stardom this season. He seems to pass that eye test.
09-11-2017 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bears85 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Player on the verge of stardom?
(09-11-2017 06:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Is Spencer Tears on the verge of breaking through? I think he has the ability as I have been saying from Day One. Hopefully he has been any off the field issues behind him. He will have to fight not having a solid QB and poor coaching in the near term which might limit his development, but he has shown some brief spurts of stardom this season. He seems to pass that eye test.
Who cares if he passes the eye test. I've never understood this anyways. What do you mean by eye test? The only thing that matters is can he make plays. From 2006 to 2013 do you know who had the most receptions in the NFL? That's right Wes Welker. I don't believe he passes the eye test, do you?
09-11-2017 07:36 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-11-2017 07:36 PM)Bears85 Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 06:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Is Spencer Tears on the verge of breaking through? I think he has the ability as I have been saying from Day One. Hopefully he has been any off the field issues behind him. He will have to fight not having a solid QB and poor coaching in the near term which might limit his development, but he has shown some brief spurts of stardom this season. He seems to pass that eye test.
Who cares if he passes the eye test. I've never understood this anyways. What do you mean by eye test? The only thing that matters is can he make plays. From 2006 to 2013 do you know who had the most receptions in the NFL? That's right Wes Welker. I don't believe he passes the eye test, do you?

I guess by eye test I mean his playmaking. That sideline catch on that 3rd and long against EIU, that was an NFL reception.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 07:56 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
09-11-2017 07:56 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Tears has talent and just needs a QB that can get him the ball. Santa gives me hope that perhaps he can do so.
09-11-2017 08:03 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I think Tears is on the verge and we need him. Good for him.

Other breakout players: Nate Veloz, Ryan Roberts, Marcus Jones, Sutton Smith, Jack Heflin, Kyle Pugh. Lots of new guys doing well.
09-11-2017 08:06 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I thought you were going to say Sutton Smith. I don't know how he grades out overall, but he sure spends a lot of time in the backfield.
09-11-2017 08:07 PM
Bears85 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-11-2017 07:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

I guess by eye test I mean his playmaking. That sideline catch on that 3rd and long against EIU, that was an NFL reception.

Haha, come on MD that play was routine for any Div. 1 WR.
09-11-2017 08:40 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-11-2017 08:40 PM)Bears85 Wrote:  

He just showed some great body control and hands on that play, that was a really tough catch that he made look easy.
09-12-2017 08:09 AM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

(09-12-2017 08:09 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

He just showed some great body control and hands on that play, that was a really tough catch that he made look easy.

I like Tears as well. If he can get separation, he could become a key target; which would spread the field. Regardless of how well a ball is thrown (and it would be hard to throw a ball any better than the pass on his TD) you still have to make the catch. The exact same ball was thrown to KG if the Kent State game (late in the 2nd quarter); it was one of the few balls I ever remember KG dropping.
09-12-2017 08:21 AM
Advertisement

Suptroop Offline
2nd String

(09-12-2017 08:21 AM)Djud Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 07:36 PM)Bears85 Wrote:  Who cares if he passes the eye test. I've never understood this anyways. What do you mean by eye test? The only thing that matters is can he make plays. From 2006 to 2013 do you know who had the most receptions in the NFL? That's right Wes Welker. I don't believe he passes the eye test, do you?

I like Tears as well. If he can get separation, he could become a key target; which would spread the field. Regardless of how well a ball is thrown (and it would be hard to throw a ball any better than the pass on his TD) you still have to make the catch. The exact same ball was thrown to KG if the Kent State game (late in the 2nd quarter); it was one of the few balls I ever remember KG dropping.

Not to say he's not going to be good/have a breakout year, but I still think people are a bit tainted by his recruiting exploits. Could be wrong but doesn't look the biggest, fastest, strongest. Maybe from what he showed Saturday is the hands that separates himself. Like to see some consistency first.

I don't think people are giving enough credit to Heflin and Webster. Last years defense was rolled on because the line did not take up those double teams so the faster and undersides backing core couldn't utilize their strengths. I think Heflin will be an absolute stud. He's strong, moves real well for being three bills and could likely hold another 20 pounds on that frame.

JJ is JJ but healthy. Always had big play tendencies. Pugh had high expectations that I think he's surpassing. Jones has been a solid tackler. Corcoran has been consistent and Sutton has been a beast.

Has anyone been taking a look at some of the true frosh that have been playing. Kramer is going to be a great MAC lineman. Lorbek (my personal favorite) hasn't played much but physically looks beyond his years.

Any other observations of note?
09-12-2017 02:26 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
Definitely noticed in the BC game that the interior DL were standing strong against most of the double teams, clogging up the middle and forcing backs to find a different hole. The big difference with Lorbeck and Kramer is that they are exceptionally strong. I believe that both set High school records in the weight room and both squat over 525 and according to our thread on last years recruits Kramer is at 600. I don't know if any of our current players lifts as much.
09-12-2017 02:58 PM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I think Santa will continue to progress. He's gotten better after each start. Excited about his opportunity against Nebraska.
09-12-2017 05:15 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(09-12-2017 02:26 PM)Suptroop Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 07:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  I guess by eye test I mean his playmaking. That sideline catch on that 3rd and long against EIU, that was an NFL reception.

Issac Hawn will be a GREAT one.

Not to say he's not going to be good/have a breakout year, but I still think people are a bit tainted by his recruiting exploits. Could be wrong but doesn't look the biggest, fastest, strongest. Maybe from what he showed Saturday is the hands that separates himself. Like to see some consistency first.

I don't think people are giving enough credit to Heflin and Webster. Last years defense was rolled on because the line did not take up those double teams so the faster and undersides backing core couldn't utilize their strengths. I think Heflin will be an absolute stud. He's strong, moves real well for being three bills and could likely hold another 20 pounds on that frame.

JJ is JJ but healthy. Always had big play tendencies. Pugh had high expectations that I think he's surpassing. Jones has been a solid tackler. Corcoran has been consistent and Sutton has been a beast.

Has anyone been taking a look at some of the true frosh that have been playing. Kramer is going to be a great MAC lineman. Lorbek (my personal favorite) hasn't played much but physically looks beyond his years.

09-12-2017 05:57 PM
Advertisement

NIU17 Offline
All American

(09-11-2017 08:07 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I thought you were going to say Sutton Smith. I don't know how he grades out overall, but he sure spends a lot of time in the backfield.
In both games he seemed to be making a lot of tackles for loss. He gets off the big lineman very well and is quick enough to get to the qb or rb.
09-12-2017 06:05 PM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

(09-12-2017 05:57 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(09-12-2017 02:26 PM)Suptroop Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 08:40 PM)Bears85 Wrote:  Haha, come on MD that play was routine for any Div. 1 WR.

Why couldn't his name be Isaac Hayes?? so close!! That would give us so much more fodder for humor on this board. Shaft jokes, chef jokes,,jeezz the list goes on
09-12-2017 07:37 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(09-12-2017 06:05 PM)NIU17 Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 08:07 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I thought you were going to say Sutton Smith. I don't know how he grades out overall, but he sure spends a lot of time in the backfield.
In both games he seemed to be making a lot of tackles for loss. He gets off the big lineman very well and is quick enough to get to the qb or rb.

Im too lazy to do the grunt work, but the number of negative yardage plays for opposition does seem abnormally high this year, that must be a good sign.
09-12-2017 09:04 PM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

This Nebraska game would be a nice coming out party for Wesley. Gonna need someone to step up for Beebe.
09-14-2017 01:11 PM
Advertisement

JB04 Offline
1st String

I agree... Sutton smith has been incredible thus far, and I am tremendously impressed by his play. Smith was stuck in no mans land with size for offense (built like a fullback, but needs to be on field more than a fullback plays), therefore moving him to DE was a great move. If only he was 3" taller this guy would be be early talks of NFL material
09-14-2017 02:20 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Is Ezra being red shirted this year?
09-14-2017 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.