Fan advisory board was announced
08-03-2017 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Fan advisory board was announced
Love this. I hope they take our feedback seriously and at least one member frequents the board!

Represent Dog Pound!
08-03-2017 12:50 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
The below was a friend of mine's initial reaction to this board. I have to agree so I thought it was worth sharing. How is it possible that they would get no representatives from Chicago, Rockford or the surrounds larger markets that we need to capitalize on??? Obviously, DeKalb and the western suburbs are important as well, but my initial reaction to this list is that we missed the boat with some key areas.

What a joke.

http://niu.sidearmsports.com/news/2017/8...board.aspx

25% of the panel is townies (although I can see the logic wanting locals opinions and participation/attendance but 25% seems excessive).

Not a single representative from Chicago, the largest closest city and where the most NIU alums probably work and the #1 target market you are trying to penetrate.

Not a single rep from Rockford area.

Not a single rep from West (Sterling to Quad Cities, and don't get me started with that. QC is the most Neglected potential market by the idiots at NIU Marketing).

Not even 1 rep from out of the Northern Illinois region. Maybe this wouldn't be prudent, but I hope they at least considered bringing someone from Peoria/Bloomington area and or southern Wisconsin area (maybe this could have been Rockford area rep).

I would be interested in seeing the reps ages.

I have a hard time believing that the panel is "diverse" as is claimed. The only "young" reps are probably current students. Wouldn't surprise me if they missed the mark and failed to get a rep who represents the recent grad in his/her early 20s.
08-03-2017 01:43 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I will repost this here. I just posted this on the other thread:

I know that this board has fans of Huskie athletics going back to the 60's (maybe 50's?), the 70's, 80's. 90's, all the way to the present. I know many different views are regularly expressed here, and that overwhelmingly, we strongly support the Huskies. I know we have students, young alums, fans struggling financially, fans that have climbed the hill and are doing just fine, parents, grandparents, a little of everything. What a great place to mine for members to a "fan advisory board."

That being said, did anyone here get selected? I did not.

I received that same e-mail a few minutes ago about the board being established-- and it says nothing-- nothing -- about how anyone was selected, what their hope was in making the selection, the criteria used, the amount of interest, etc. Nothing. And my "thank you for applying. We appreciate your interest. We have chosen the following people for this and this reason. We look forward to your continued support, etc." That e-mail apparently was caught by my spam folder, cuz I haven't seen it yet. I will go look for it now.
08-03-2017 01:52 PM
JoeNovak Offline
1st String

If they were smart they would find a way to get all the students more involved, particularly fraternities and sororities. They bring hundreds and hundreds of people to tailgate but never bother making the game. Most of the students go to a bar or back home to continue the party. Get them involved and allow beer sales on the opposite side of the stadium and you may have many more attendees to games. There's a chance you may have more responsible drinking considering the students that do attend games drink themselves into obvlion before because they can't drink during the game. And if these students attend more games then they will be more likely to attend as an alumni.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 02:15 PM by JoeNovak.)
08-03-2017 02:11 PM
Advertisement

17Huskies Offline
Heisman

I think this will be one thing I choose not to get ticked off about...it's a fan advisory board...
08-03-2017 02:11 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The outrage from this will be hilarious
08-03-2017 02:18 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I got a guy on the board. I will get him on the blower
08-03-2017 02:56 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(08-03-2017 01:43 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  The below was a friend of mine's initial reaction to this board. I have to agree so I thought it was worth sharing. How is it possible that they would get no representatives from Chicago, Rockford or the surrounds larger markets that we need to capitalize on??? Obviously, DeKalb and the western suburbs are important as well, but my initial reaction to this list is that we missed the boat with some key areas.

What a joke.

25% of the panel is townies (although I can see the logic wanting locals opinions and participation/attendance but 25% seems excessive).

Not a single representative from Chicago, the largest closest city and where the most NIU alums probably work and the #1 target market you are trying to penetrate.

Not a single rep from West (Sterling to Quad Cities, and don't get me started with that. QC is the most Neglected potential market by the idiots at NIU Marketing).

Not even 1 rep from out of the Northern Illinois region. Maybe this wouldn't be prudent, but I hope they at least considered bringing someone from Peoria/Bloomington area and or southern Wisconsin area (maybe this could have been Rockford area rep).

I have a hard time believing that the panel is "diverse" as is claimed. The only "young" reps are probably current students. Wouldn't surprise me if they missed the mark and failed to get a rep who represents the recent grad in his/her early 20s.

I think this fan advisory board is a tremendous idea, but it's just PR. How much input do you really think these people are going to have in the organizational structure of a major state university?

I don't know 32, I can't get myself worked up about any perceived slights in selection of a symbolic panel of people. All I know is I hope the selected Huskie fans have a lot of fun doing this.
08-04-2017 01:22 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I'm just afraid that the vast majority of ideas will be shot down due to lack of money or people, even if they are relatively minor. Considering the money situation I wouldn't be surprised.
08-04-2017 07:29 AM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
yeah the important part is just to get the ball rolling. they were probably lucky just to get interest in the first place.
08-04-2017 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-03-2017 01:43 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  The below was a friend of mine's initial reaction to this board. I have to agree so I thought it was worth sharing. How is it possible that they would get no representatives from Chicago, Rockford or the surrounds larger markets that we need to capitalize on??? Obviously, DeKalb and the western suburbs are important as well, but my initial reaction to this list is that we missed the boat with some key areas.

What a joke.

Who cares where they're from? This is not like electing the house or senate. It's a group of people who want to try and improve the experience. It will have nothing to do with the organizational structure of a major university either. It's people who care and want to share their ideas and thoughts. Chill people.
08-04-2017 11:54 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2017 11:54 AM)sportsfan Wrote:  

What a joke.

Who cares where they're from? This is not like electing the house or senate. It's a group of people who want to try and improve the experience. It will have nothing to do with the organizational structure of a major university either. It's people who care and want to share their ideas and thoughts. Chill people.

"Who cares where they're from?"

Is that a real question? The question implies that it doesn't matter when it does. The reason why it matters is PERSPECTIVE.

Having a bunch of locals who are just there to vie for a position within the nepotism that exists in the NIU Athletics hiring process serve no purpose to further the alleged reason for having the Advisory Board in the first place.

Supposedly, this is set up to help NIU understand how it can better address fan needs an INCREASE participation/attendance/engagement by the current fanbase and GROW that fanbase.

By not having the Board representative of the fanbases that its (supposedly) interested in growing, how is it helping you to better engage with that fanbase?

How are you going to learn about, and therefore address, the obstacles that are keeping NIU from growing the Chicago/Rockford/QC fanbases if that demographic is COMPLETELY ABSENT from your Advisory Board?

For lack of a better analogy, this is no different than a bunch of people from the suburbs trying to solve the problems of inner city schools and crime. Were asking people to think of what the issues are in certain areas and how they would address them vs asking the people who actually live there and getting their input. That doesn't make sense...

And finally, this is a message board, we can all have a different opinion, that's totally fine. It doesn't seem like anyone is getting out of hand on this thread and needs to chill out or anything. We'll see how this "Advisory Board" works out, hopefully it does help04-cheers
08-04-2017 12:34 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-04-2017 12:34 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  

What a joke.

Is that a real question? The question implies that it doesn't matter when it does. The reason why it matters is PERSPECTIVE.

Having a bunch of locals who are just there to vie for a position within the nepotism that exists in the NIU Athletics hiring process serve no purpose to further the alleged reason for having the Advisory Board in the first place.

Supposedly, this is set up to help NIU understand how it can better address fan needs an INCREASE participation/attendance/engagement by the current fanbase and GROW that fanbase.

By not having the Board representative of the fanbases that its (supposedly) interested in growing, how is it helping you to better engage with that fanbase?

How are you going to learn about, and therefore address, the obstacles that are keeping NIU from growing the Chicago/Rockford/QC fanbases if that demographic is COMPLETELY ABSENT from your Advisory Board?

For lack of a better analogy, this is no different than a bunch of people from the suburbs trying to solve the problems of inner city schools and crime. Were asking people to think of what the issues are in certain areas and how they would address them vs asking the people who actually live there and getting their input. That doesn't make sense...

And finally, this is a message board, we can all have a different opinion, that's totally fine. It doesn't seem like anyone is getting out of hand on this thread and needs to chill out or anything. We'll see how this "Advisory Board" works out, hopefully it does help04-cheers

You are 100% correct. My thoughts exactly.
08-04-2017 06:13 PM
Cowboy95 Offline
1st String

(08-04-2017 06:13 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

What a joke.

+2
08-04-2017 06:28 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-04-2017 06:28 PM)Cowboy95 Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 06:13 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

What a joke.

+2

+3
08-04-2017 10:51 PM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

I believe the Advisory Board members are on for one year. My point is there will be a new round of members next year and a chance for other areas to be represented.
08-05-2017 07:52 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Related to this, what has bothered me for years is how inconsiderate Athletics has always been of those of us who do not live in the DeKalb area or western suburbs. As a donor, I am always getting invited to some event. Invariably, these events are held on weekdays at 5:00 or 6:00. I am not going to take time off to attend an event 90 miles from my home on a weekday late afternoon or evening. Have it on a Saturday or even Sunday, and I'm there. It seems like it is taboo for them to work on a weekend. I have nicely mentioned this to them to no avail. So, as a bigger donor, I feel ostracized and left out. This is not right at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
08-05-2017 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.