Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Starting lineup/Playing Time?
Bookmark and Share
Coast2Coast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNCW
Starting lineup/Playing Time?
There's not a lot of action on the board so I thought it would be fun to speculate on the starting lineup and playing time. Here's mine.

PG - Ty Taylor/Talley/Brown/Gary
SG - Fornes/Richmond/Gary
SF - Estime/Fornes
PF - Cacok/Bryan/Elmore
C - Trey Kalina/Bryan/Elmore

I think those in bold will get the significant minutes. Hopefully, I'm not forgetting anybody.

Thoughts?

Coast2Coast
07-18-2017 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bricksnivy Offline
All American

RE: Starting lineup/Playing Time?
Talley is a starter next year, IMO. He'll start over Taylor, but otherwise it looks pretty accurate. A lot of new faces, so it's hard to tell. My only other question is Elmore. I think he'll get a shot at significant PT.
07-18-2017 01:35 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Gary has a lot of offensive tools. He can really shoot it and pass that pill so he will be a factor in time. I could see Elmore as more of a factor too especially in a pick and pop scenario. Hopefully all 4 of the frontcourt guys are working on fundanmentals.

I would give Talley the first shot at PG unless someone like Taylor is just the bomb. Talley is very good overall and a real leader. Fornes should be ready to roll-Hawks need his offense/shooting. It's too early to tell for the other wing, but there are options-a freshman or 2 will have to step up in some capacity whether that's starting or off the bench. Cacok is a lock to start and be first team All CAA unless he gets hurt. Let's hope that another big or 3 steps up to help.
07-18-2017 06:56 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
1 - Talley/Gary
2 - Taylor/Richmond
3 - Fornes/Estime
4 - Cacock/Elmore
5 - Kalina/Bryan

Feel pretty confident about this projected lineup.
07-18-2017 08:34 PM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

You guys just don't get it. Cacok is not a 4. He is a 5 and that is where he will play. The 7 footer will back him up. Elmore and Bryan will battle for the 4 spot plain and simple. Fornes is on fire and he will see plenty of minutes. Talley will run point with Ty covering.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 09:12 PM by surfsalot.)
07-18-2017 08:55 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

Man this is hard without getting some good looks at the new guys. I think we'll play deep. The guys that play smart and pickup the new system will get minutes. Feel like Fornes will breakout this year. Hoping so. The kid just lost his mom so would love to see him do well this year.
07-18-2017 10:37 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

(07-18-2017 08:55 PM)surfsalot Wrote:  You guys just don't get it. Cacok is not a 4. He is a 5 and that is where he will play. The 7 footer will back him up. Elmore and Bryan will battle for the 4 spot plain and simple. Fornes is on fire and he will see plenty of minutes. Talley will run point with Ty covering.

UNCW basketball is transitioning to a more traditional lineup with big men at the 4 and 5. Cacock does not have the size to play at the pro level as a 5, and i'm confident the coaching staff wants him to have that opportunity. He's working on his outside shot and video shows him taking jumpers from the FT line. He is, however, a prototype power forward IF he can develop an outside jumper.
07-19-2017 05:02 AM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

(07-19-2017 05:02 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 08:55 PM)surfsalot Wrote:  You guys just don't get it. Cacok is not a 4. He is a 5 and that is where he will play. The 7 footer will back him up. Elmore and Bryan will battle for the 4 spot plain and simple. Fornes is on fire and he will see plenty of minutes. Talley will run point with Ty covering.

UNCW basketball is transitioning to a more traditional lineup with big men at the 4 and 5. Cacock does not have the size to play at the pro level as a 5, and i'm confident the coaching staff wants him to have that opportunity. He's working on his outside shot and video shows him taking jumpers from the FT line. He is, however, a prototype power forward IF he can develop an outside jumper.
Valid points, just don't see him being a 4 this year. Maybe by his senior year he will have those skills, but not this year.
07-19-2017 05:41 AM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

(07-19-2017 05:02 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

Valid points, just don't see him being a 4 this year. Maybe by his senior year he will have those skills, but not this year.
07-19-2017 05:41 AM
94Hawk Offline
Water Engineer

You have a lineup full of guards so I hope McGrath will run with what he has. No need to try to put a square peg in a round hole. Kalina should probably be a backup from what I have read. Losing the guy to K State hurts but I'd play Cacok at the 5 and run like crazy. It has worked for the past 3 years.
07-19-2017 08:10 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2017 05:41 AM)surfsalot Wrote:  Valid points, just don't see him being a 4 this year. Maybe by his senior year he will have those skills, but not this year.

Only way he'll pick up those skills is by practicing and playing as a 4. If the end goal is for him to be a true 4, then we can't just wait until his Senior year to play him there.
07-19-2017 08:42 AM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(07-19-2017 08:10 AM)94Hawk Wrote:  Losing the guy to K State hurts but I'd play Cacok at the 5 and run like crazy. It has worked for the past 3 years.

In CAA games, it's worked terrifically. But it's also system that didn't quite work at the next level. Cacok got swallowed up in the post against both Duke and UVA. The minute Gettys, a True Center, got into foul trouble and had to come out, we got exposed there (as much as people complained about him, we had a halftime lead over Duke with him getting serious minutes). And our defensive efficiency wasn't great in either contest.

We can still run very easily with Cacok at the 4 and more of a true center at the 5. I don't think it's truly an either/or type of proposition.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 08:45 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
07-19-2017 08:43 AM
Hall of Famer

I know I'm going to get away a bit from the topic here, but.....

We just need to be patient. We don't have full picture of just how the system under McGrath is going to look.....and that's OK. Just because we've had a coach who followed the UNC brand of play before (Buzz), and just because we loved what Keatts brought to the table does NOT automatically mean the following:

1) That McGrath's system will resemble Buzz's.

2) That his system will NOT embrace some of the tenants of what worked under Keatts.

3) That there's only one way to win basketball games.

When Keatts arrived, I wrongly felt (at first) that playing at a fast pace wouldn't work, because I felt the "Brownell style" was the only way to win at the mid-major level. Until I considered what VCU did under Shaka.

When McGrath arrived, at first, I wasn't happy at all with the hire, because I really didn't think the "Carolina Way" could work here because of our past under Buzz. But it's a perspective that isn't fair to McGrath. (And it's not really even fair to Buzz, really, given that he was thrown into a horrible situation under DePaolo and Mehrtens. But that's a topic for a different thread.)

Now, some of us seem to be thinking the Keatts method is the only way to win. Not true. The game is shifting to a fast-paced style, true. But there isn't any evidence we're completely abandoning that and are going to play like Bruiser Flint's Drexel teams. Until proven otherwise, I imagine McGrath will implement a system that both attempts to utilize the talent we have AND have elements of what he's more used to. And we know UNC likes to use their athleticism and play fast.

Maybe we can have the best of both worlds? A system that runs fast on offense but still can play solid halfcourt defense? One can dream right?
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 10:29 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
07-19-2017 10:25 AM
Dash Rip Rock Jr Offline
Bench Warmer

I just hope that what CB does looks and works more like what Jerod Haase does than what Cherry, Miller and Lebo do
07-19-2017 11:32 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

Dean Smith has a fantastic coaching tree. I'm not sure why anyone would take examples of past failures and evaluate CB through that lens exclusively. I can't think of anyone that developed and trusted their bench more than Coach Smith, and Roy Williams is the same now. We saw the importance of player development under Keatts. Out of all of the Carolina basketball characteristics that I expect to translate, development is the one that I'm counting on the most.

Billy Packer lambasted Smith for playing Henrik Rodl with less than 10 minutes to play in the second half of the championship game in 1993, just as many said laughed at a Carolina lineup that included Luke Maye getting significant playing time. Those guys were developed, held to the same standard as the regulars, and given opportunities to play throughout the season so that they would be prepared for bigger moments. I'm not trying to celebrate Carolina, but I think there will be a lot of complaining about rotations and playing time during the regular season by our fans. Everyone needs to understand Smith, Williams, and I assume, McGrath will give guys like Cacok, Estime, Fornes, Taylor and Gary minutes in critical situations that we don't understand or at a position that we disagree with.
07-19-2017 12:23 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I don't think we'll look at all like Buzz or Lebo. But, I do believe based on his recruiting so far we'll have a more traditional lineup with a power forward and a true center.

What we'll be missing is the press as a fundamental part of our game plan compared to Keatts. This is where my concern arises. I thought the press negated advantages of other teams and took superior recruiting advantages away. As a midmajor we have to have an identity and a way to overcome superior recruiting in bigger conferences.

The one knock I had in Keatts is we never won "the" game that we could say proved we could beat a major. Close, but no cigar. But, is that the measuring stick, or is winning CAA championships? Personally, I was thrilled winning championships and getting to the NCAA. IMO, the wins were just a matter of time.

I just hope we can maintain success which will lead to strong recruiting in the future. I honestly have no clue how we will play or if we'll succeed. So many changes there is no way of making any sort of prediction based on fact.
07-19-2017 01:37 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

I think getting to the point where we don't even need to win the CAA title to get into the dance needs to be the goal. To do that, we need signature wins in the regular season.

Winning games when we GET to the NCAA's is indeed something that will come with time, and would have under Keatts eventually. But we also needed to prove ourselves in the Regular season against upper level competition, which proved difficult. We performed great against Louisville in Keatts' first year, true, and we also had a tremendous comeback against Georgetown in Year 2. But we really shouldn't have been getting essentially whooped by Clemson in Year 3 of his tenure.

Given how few quality games we have been able to schedule, we have to take advantage the few chances we get at quality wins.

I remember being in a bar for that Georgetown game. People watching were going "who the hell is UNCW?" Hopefully we can make that change over time under C.B.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 02:11 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
07-19-2017 02:09 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(07-19-2017 02:09 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I think getting to the point where we don't even need to win the CAA title to get into the dance needs to be the goal. To do that, we need signature wins in the regular season.

Padding the schedule with DIII teams doesn't fool anyone...particularly the NCAA selection committee.
07-19-2017 08:27 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(07-19-2017 12:23 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Everyone needs to understand Smith, Williams, and I assume, McGrath will give guys like Cacok, Estime, Fornes, Taylor and Gary minutes in critical situations that we don't understand or at a position that we disagree with.

I'm 100% all for giving Cacock time in critical situations. Beast.
07-20-2017 02:52 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

With Cacok, minutes won't be an issue, but I can see people complaining about his role. For example, he hits a mid-season lull and we have fans that label the "experiment" a failure and demand that he go back to his "natural" position.
07-20-2017 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.