Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rivalries
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Rivalries
(07-17-2017 09:33 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  LOL at people comparing anything in the AAC with Bama-Auburn or OU-Texas. Those schools had played each other 50+ times before we even fielded a team. We're not going to have a rival like that.

Here's who I'd rank as rivals for UH.

Rice- based solely on sharing the same city and our history with the Owls screwing us out of what was supposed to be "Houston Stadium" shared by both schools. Bayou Bucket and Silver Glove get the students fired up.

A&M- While we don't play these days, we did during and before the SWC. The series was super close too until their run as the SWC died out. City vs. Pretend Rednecks.

Texas- No SWC school had a better winning % vs. the Horns than we did and it pissed those entitled b$tches off. We've had several classic games and each of us has blown up the other's chance at undefeated seasons. We've got bleacher gate, the cheating tie game in the 60s, the multiple pick six game in the Dome, and 30-0 (the worst defeat at DKR at the time). The fact the Horns refuse to play us in nearly every sport just fuels the hate on.

SMU- This was never a big game but we do play each other every year and you have Houston vs. Dallas, Public vs. Private, Bud Light vs. Gutter Glitter, etc...

Tulsa- We've played nobody more than the Golden Showers. The football and basketball series is basically a tie. There's bad blood (TU fans, especially old ones, hate us) and the games usually have meaning.

Texas Tech- There's no former SWC-Big 12 school we've played more and the Red Raiders have actually scheduled us unlike those other rat bastards. The fan bases seem to actually get along, but there was no more exciting game at Robertson than the Tech one and I figure the TDECU game this year will rival any home game we've played so far in the new venue.

First I didnt compare us i said we're not those kind of rivals. And speak for coog high if you'd like but TU was playing ball in 1895. We already had an orange bowl appearence and two sugar bowl appearences, and were in the discussion as a national champion, by the time you all started your program.

This is why we dont get along . . .
07-17-2017 09:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
No Memphis for basketball? No Southern Miss?
07-17-2017 09:46 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Ohio State v Michigan
Clempson v Florida State
Allbarn v Bama
USC v UCLA
Army Navy
Teh Rivalry
07-17-2017 09:49 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(07-17-2017 09:49 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Ohio State v Michigan
Clempson v Florida State
Allbarn v Bama
USC v UCLA
Army Navy
Teh Rivalry

Not to be confused with "The Rivalry" - Lehigh/Lafayette (most played in Division 1)
07-17-2017 10:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-17-2017 09:33 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  LOL at people comparing anything in the AAC with Bama-Auburn or OU-Texas. Those schools had played each other 50+ times before we even fielded a team. We're not going to have a rival like that.

Rice- based solely on sharing the same city and our history with the Owls screwing us out of what was supposed to be "Houston Stadium" shared by both schools. Bayou Bucket and Silver Glove get the students fired up.

A&M- While we don't play these days, we did during and before the SWC. The series was super close too until their run as the SWC died out. City vs. Pretend Rednecks.

Texas- No SWC school had a better winning % vs. the Horns than we did and it pissed those entitled b$tches off. We've had several classic games and each of us has blown up the other's chance at undefeated seasons. We've got bleacher gate, the cheating tie game in the 60s, the multiple pick six game in the Dome, and 30-0 (the worst defeat at DKR at the time). The fact the Horns refuse to play us in nearly every sport just fuels the hate on.

SMU- This was never a big game but we do play each other every year and you have Houston vs. Dallas, Public vs. Private, Bud Light vs. Gutter Glitter, etc...

Tulsa- We've played nobody more than the Golden Showers. The football and basketball series is basically a tie. There's bad blood (TU fans, especially old ones, hate us) and the games usually have meaning.

Texas Tech- There's no former SWC-Big 12 school we've played more and the Red Raiders have actually scheduled us unlike those other rat bastards. The fan bases seem to actually get along, but there was no more exciting game at Robertson than the Tech one and I figure the TDECU game this year will rival any home game we've played so far in the new venue.

I bumped this thread because our beat writer just did a poll on who Houston fans thought of as Houstons biggest rivals. For what its worth, here are the results of Duarte's Twitter poll. It comes out about like I expected--except that SMU ranked higher than Rice. My feelings are echoed by most Coog fans. I dont think we have any real rivalry game. Interestingly, Tulsa isnt even on the poll---which says all you need to know about whether Coog fans see Tulsa as a major rivalry game. Like I said, our rival is whoever is ahead of us in the standings. It changes year to year.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte

Who do you consider to be Houston's biggest football rival?

SMU-25%
Rice-18%
Doesn't really have one-57%

1,106 voted : Final Results
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 11:59 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2017 11:46 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(10-04-2017 11:46 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I bumped this thread because our beat writer just did a poll on who Houston fans thought of as Houstons biggest rivals. For what its worth, here are the results of Duarte's Twitter poll. It comes out about like I expected--except that SMU ranked higher than Rice. My feelings are echoed by most Coog fans. I dont think we have any real rivalry game. Interestingly, Tulsa isnt even on the poll---which says all you need to know about whether Coog fans see Tulsa as a major rivalry game. Like I said, our rival is whoever is ahead of us in the standings. It changes year to year.

SMU-25%
Rice-18%

So 1100 fans is what you all workin with ???

How many of those twitter were your robots?

And funny how little your writer knows about the program that he didnt even list the team you have most as an option.
10-04-2017 04:49 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(10-04-2017 04:49 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:46 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

SMU-25%
Rice-18%

So 1100 fans is what you all workin with ???

How many of those twitter were your robots?

And funny how little your writer knows about the program that he didnt even list the team you have most as an option.

Yup, that poll is RIDICULOUS. Houston's #1 rival has always been and will always be Tulsa. That's Teh Truth.
10-04-2017 04:55 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
For UCF, I look forward most to the ECU and USF games. ECU dominated the series in the early years (we were FCS), now it's swinging back a bit more in our direction. I still hate GOL for calling an out of character 4th down play at the end of the 2008 game and blowing it for us, or our stupid choke job in 2007 that cost us a perfect CUSA record. I loved no victory more last year than the one over ECU, which I couldn't even watch live. I was on a rig in the Persian Gulf, but I was following the gamecast on some crappy internet connection (with a stringent daily data cap)! Of course, 2014 was just a classic game.

USF is definitely bigger, but there is hardly any history there. Again, it was dominated by USF in the early years as it was Big East vs CUSA. As members of the AAC, we're 2-2 against each other with a big game looming on the horizon this year. This could very well be the first time we each have strong teams with something on the line - the kind of game that really makes a rivalry. Looking forward to it.

Of course, there's UCONN. Maybe if they bring the ConFLiCT trophy down to Orlando and leave it on the field....
10-04-2017 05:09 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(10-04-2017 05:09 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  For UCF, I look forward most to the ECU and USF games. ECU dominated the series in the early years (we were FCS), now it's swinging back a bit more in our direction. I still hate GOL for calling an out of character 4th down play at the end of the 2008 game and blowing it for us, or our stupid choke job in 2007 that cost us a perfect CUSA record. I loved no victory more last year than the one over ECU, which I couldn't even watch live. I was on a rig in the Persian Gulf, but I was following the gamecast on some crappy internet connection (with a stringent daily data cap)! Of course, 2014 was just a classic game.

USF is definitely bigger, but there is hardly any history there. Again, it was dominated by USF in the early years as it was Big East vs CUSA. As members of the AAC, we're 2-2 against each other with a big game looming on the horizon this year. This could very well be the first time we each have strong teams with something on the line - the kind of game that really makes a rivalry. Looking forward to it.

Of course, there's UCONN. Maybe if they bring the ConFLiCT trophy down to Orlando and leave it on the field....

Ridiculous post. UCONN is your #1 rival.
10-04-2017 05:15 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(10-04-2017 05:09 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  For UCF, I look forward most to the ECU and USF games. ECU dominated the series in the early years (we were FCS), now it's swinging back a bit more in our direction. I still hate GOL for calling an out of character 4th down play at the end of the 2008 game and blowing it for us, or our stupid choke job in 2007 that cost us a perfect CUSA record. I loved no victory more last year than the one over ECU, which I couldn't even watch live. I was on a rig in the Persian Gulf, but I was following the gamecast on some crappy internet connection (with a stringent daily data cap)! Of course, 2014 was just a classic game.

Different perspective, but I just wanted to echo the hate of GOL.
My ten year reunion, GT 70 Navy 7.

Only silver lining is that that may have been the nadir leading to the Gladchuk-Johnson Renaissance and the Johnson-Niumatalolo Golden Age.
10-04-2017 08:05 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy

Only silver lining is that that may have been the nadir leading to the Gladchuk-Johnson Renaissance and the Johnson-Niumatalolo Golden Age.
10-04-2017 08:05 PM
chess Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska

If ECU didn't just fall off a cliff, I think the UCF-ECU rivalry has a lot of room to grow.
10-04-2017 09:24 PM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
A new development in the SMU/TCU rivalry is hoops recruiting. Jank and Dixon are battling for high-major Texas kids, and it is serious.
10-05-2017 07:11 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
This is how I measure if there is a rivalry or not....

On any given Saturday can you root for that team to win? If the answer is No, no matter who they are playing, then there is a rivalry. UCF/USF. Just look at their message boards. Neither team can root for the other. Even if it is in their best interest for the other team to win.
10-05-2017 07:53 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

Hmmm... That same coach was coaching for the hail Perriman victory. Sounds like you have issues.
10-05-2017 07:55 AM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
(10-05-2017 07:55 AM)StatueKnight Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

Hmmm... That same coach was coaching for the hail Perriman victory. Sounds like you have issues.

Not sure if that was directed at me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of GOL and have defended him consistently throughout the years. I think he did a remarkable job, all things considered (though he probably should not have taken the two year extension after the Fiesta). I can still hate a couple boneheaded calls he made along the way.

(10-04-2017 09:24 PM)chess Wrote:  If ECU didn't just fall off a cliff, I think the UCF-ECU rivalry has a lot of room to grow.

You guys will recover, and the rivalry will grow. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 08:27 AM by NothingButKnight.)
10-05-2017 08:25 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(10-04-2017 09:24 PM)chess Wrote:  

If ECU didn't just fall off a cliff, I think the UCF-ECU rivalry has a lot of room to grow.

If we randomly won this year, and that was (certainly unranked) UCF's only loss for the year, that would throw some gasoline on it.
10-05-2017 10:40 AM
H-Town Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Houston
(07-17-2017 03:22 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Coog fans don't see anything special in the Tulsa game. I don't care if we have played them 1000 times prior to today---Coog fans don't get all revved up for that game over all others.

When Todd "the toad" Graham was there - hell yeah, I got up for those games! That guys was/is a grade A douche-bag. These days, I still thoroughly enjoy beating them, especially after a strip-6 to go up only a minute before the end, and in a last minute goal line stand that was inches from tying, crushing their hopes. Man... were Tulsa fans upset about that.

05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 09:48 AM by H-Town.)
10-05-2017 12:00 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(10-05-2017 12:00 PM)H-Town Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 03:22 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Coog fans don't see anything special in the Tulsa game. I don't care if we have played them 1000 times prior to today---Coog fans don't get all revved up for that game over all others.

When Todd "the toad" Graham was there - hell yeah, I got up for those games! That guys was/is a grade A douche-bag. These days, I still thoroughly enjoy beating them, especially after a strip-6 to go up only a minute before the end and in a last minute goal line stand that was inches from tying crushing their hopes. Man... were Tulsa fans upset about that.

05-stirthepot

Teh rivalry, short and sweet
10-05-2017 02:38 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
no civil conflict....some day that game will be on college game day...
10-06-2017 07:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.