Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2016 Revenue by School
Bookmark and Share
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: 2016 Revenue by School
(07-12-2017 07:26 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 01:56 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  Man, you guys really do have some small man complex over here. Your OP lists CUSA's budgets alongside your own for comparison. Thread was mostly dead until a La Tech poster responded to some bait and you guys swarmed.

Because the Sun Belt has a perception problem. Perception isn't reality and it isn't factual in the case of the Sun Belt. Everyone saw the writing on the wall with the dumping of the F_U schools for App and Georgia Southern. Now the Sun Belt dumps Idaho and NMSU, and adds another school that appears to be ready to be better than at least the bottom half of what C-USA has to offer, including the F_U programs, ODU, Charlotte, and the Texas schools.

Budgets matter very little when you begin comparing results. Japanese companies spend far less money on production of their vehicles yet they run longer, do not have as many defects, and are less expensive out of the door. Better production, less money to work with. Deal with it.

You're talking about CCU here? 01-wingedeagle

I think they've got a fine athletic department. Great soccer and baseball. But in FB & BB they've got some ground to make up coming out of the Big South.
07-13-2017 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(07-12-2017 01:56 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  Man, you guys really do have some small man complex over here. Your OP lists CUSA's budgets alongside your own for comparison. Thread was mostly dead until a La Tech poster responded to some bait and you guys swarmed.

He is also the fan of an AAC school but hey it's the Sun Belt folks bringing it up, stick with whatever narrative you like.
07-13-2017 10:07 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(07-13-2017 10:07 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

He is also the fan of an AAC school but hey it's the Sun Belt folks bringing it up, stick with whatever narrative you like.

What you talking about Willis?
07-13-2017 10:23 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Wrong Drew :)
07-13-2017 10:45 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(07-12-2017 08:13 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  I certainly feel Appalachian State University dodged a bullet thanks to charlotte.

I liken it to when Sam Bowie was drafted ahead of Michael Jordan.
07-13-2017 11:34 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(07-12-2017 12:57 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 07:05 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 06:02 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 05:55 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 03:37 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  CUSA folks stop looking over your shoulders we are in front you now.

No, the SBC is in front of no one. Meaningless poll or not, the Orlando Sentinel Countdown shows the conferences stacking up as follows:
1)AAC 2)CUSA 3)MWC 4)MAC 5)SBC.

Maybe it's just how everybody still perceives the SBC but the fact remains, the SBC came in dead last. Again.

Things in life you can count on.
Arkansas State will not be picked to win the Sun Belt in football
Sun Belt will be picked at the bottom of the conferences.

Yet 37.5% of the time AState takes at least a share.
Sun Belt has finished last in the performance pool what once in the last four years.

You can also count on BRtransplant having a death grip on any semblance of former CUSA relevance and scanning the Sun Belt board for any CUSA posts.

I truly believe that G5 relevance is about gone, period. We all scramble to claim the title of tallest midget every year while our programs barely break even. Meanwhile, even the worst of the P5 programs are banking $millions every year. It's really ridiculous to debate which G5 conference is the better of the five. It matters very little anymore.

No you scramble to the be the tallest midget constantly. We know we are nowhere near the P5 and accept it you constantly hold on the to old CUSA that was right there with the Big East at one time. You need to accept that CUSA is no better than the Belt over all and it is the AAC and then a revolving door of the other four for second place from year to year. No doubt you fell back to us a little but there is also no doubt the Belt has moved light years forward from 2001.
07-14-2017 05:07 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(07-12-2017 01:18 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 12:57 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  I truly believe that G5 relevance is about gone, period. We all scramble to claim the title of tallest midget every year while our programs barely break even. Meanwhile, even the worst of the P5 programs are banking $millions every year. It's really ridiculous to debate which G5 conference is the better of the five. It matters very little anymore.

Tell me all about this magical bygone golden age when non-major FBS conferences were relevant compared to today.

Was everyone raking in millions per school on TV deals? Was there a guaranteed spot in a major bowl game? Were they ever getting seven figures per school in postseason money the old BCS system? (Hint: No).

Sounds to me like you're just doing spin control because you realize it's not tenable anymore to say CUSA is a step up from the Sun Belt.

[Image: pamyup.gif]
07-14-2017 05:09 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

Umm I think the small man award goes the conference posters that constantly post on the others trying to convince someone they are still a better conference...but I digress. 07-coffee3
07-14-2017 05:11 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(07-13-2017 09:56 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Because the Sun Belt has a perception problem. Perception isn't reality and it isn't factual in the case of the Sun Belt. Everyone saw the writing on the wall with the dumping of the F_U schools for App and Georgia Southern. Now the Sun Belt dumps Idaho and NMSU, and adds another school that appears to be ready to be better than at least the bottom half of what C-USA has to offer, including the F_U programs, ODU, Charlotte, and the Texas schools.

Budgets matter very little when you begin comparing results. Japanese companies spend far less money on production of their vehicles yet they run longer, do not have as many defects, and are less expensive out of the door. Better production, less money to work with. Deal with it.

I think they've got a fine athletic department. Great soccer and baseball. But in FB & BB they've got some ground to make up coming out of the Big South.

CUSA had 7 of 12 teams have losing records I am pretty sure CCU can accomplish that in their first year!!
07-14-2017 05:15 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-14-2017 05:15 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 09:56 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

CUSA had 7 of 12 teams have losing records I am pretty sure CCU can accomplish that in their first year!!

Perception is key. I'll take the Sun Belt over CUSA or any other conference to make good on my investment. Buy low, sell high. Enjoy your LOFTY position and as it relates to the Sun Belt. Good luck.
07-14-2017 07:22 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(07-12-2017 01:18 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 12:57 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  I truly believe that G5 relevance is about gone, period. We all scramble to claim the title of tallest midget every year while our programs barely break even. Meanwhile, even the worst of the P5 programs are banking $millions every year. It's really ridiculous to debate which G5 conference is the better of the five. It matters very little anymore.

Tell me all about this magical bygone golden age when non-major FBS conferences were relevant compared to today.

Was everyone raking in millions per school on TV deals? Was there a guaranteed spot in a major bowl game? Were they ever getting seven figures per school in postseason money the old BCS system? (Hint: No).

Sounds to me like you're just doing spin control because you realize it's not tenable anymore to say CUSA is a step up from the Sun Belt.

Folks need to wake up to the fact there has always been and will always be a pecking order in college athletics. The influx of cash for a few years was like the dot.com and real estate bubbles, but like all bubbles they eventually burst. G5 (specifically the SB & CUSA) just needs to realign itself within regions and play games against schools their fans know and can make sensible drives to away games. Things are actually better in a lot of ways. With today's technology at least we can see our teams play every weekend. That wasn't possible just a few years ago.
07-15-2017 07:55 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(07-14-2017 05:11 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  

Umm I think the small man award goes the conference posters that constantly post on the others trying to convince someone they are still a better conference...but I digress. 07-coffee3

I'm just here to talk about BBQ, donuts and Ark States bogus financial figures

04-cheers
07-15-2017 09:00 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2017 07:55 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Folks need to wake up to the fact there has always been and will always be a pecking order in college athletics. The influx of cash for a few years was like the dot.com and real estate bubbles, but like all bubbles they eventually burst. G5 (specifically the SB & CUSA) just needs to realign itself within regions and play games against schools their fans know and can make sensible drives to away games. Things are actually better in a lot of ways. With today's technology at least we can see our teams play every weekend. That wasn't possible just a few years ago.

The thing about the tech bubble burst...that's a local trend and not a global one. The Tech sector of the economy is vastly more valuable now than it was in 2000 after the burst.

All empirical evidence shows things are on an upswing for the G5 and there's nothing to the contrary except sensationalist articles from sports writers. And I don't consider some words from a few CUSA ADs to mean anything, either. I think we know why they're upset, but they're not going to say it publicly.

Travel costs are down and G5 revenues are up. Why does there need to be any rush to going back to the FCS mentality of bus leagues?
07-15-2017 09:12 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(07-15-2017 09:12 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-15-2017 07:55 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Folks need to wake up to the fact there has always been and will always be a pecking order in college athletics. The influx of cash for a few years was like the dot.com and real estate bubbles, but like all bubbles they eventually burst. G5 (specifically the SB & CUSA) just needs to realign itself within regions and play games against schools their fans know and can make sensible drives to away games. Things are actually better in a lot of ways. With today's technology at least we can see our teams play every weekend. That wasn't possible just a few years ago.

The thing about the tech bubble burst...that's a local trend and not a global one. The Tech sector of the economy is vastly more valuable now than it was in 2000 after the burst.

All empirical evidence shows things are on an upswing for the G5 and there's nothing to the contrary except sensationalist articles from sports writers. And I don't consider some words from a few CUSA ADs to mean anything, either. I think we know why they're upset, but they're not going to say it publicly.

Travel costs are down and G5 revenues are up. Why does there need to be any rush to going back to the FCS mentality of bus leagues?

Don't know if I'd call it a "local" happening, but by the end of 2001 most of the publicly traded dotcom companies were gone, and trillions of dollars of investment capital vanished.

Travel costs are down in G5? According to who? They sure aren't for App. Call it a "bus league" mentality if you will, but sending your teams thousands of miles away and while your students miss an exorbitant amout of class time, when there are schools close by your fans would rather play is the definition of stupidity.
07-15-2017 10:00 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2017 10:00 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Don't know if I'd call it a "local" happening, but by the end of 2001 most of the publicly traded dotcom companies were gone, and trillions of dollars of investment capital vanished.

Travel costs are down in G5? According to who? They sure aren't for App. Call it a "bus league" mentality if you will, but sending your teams thousands of miles away and while your students miss an exorbitant amout of class time, when there are schools close by your fans would rather play is the definition of stupidity.

I don't see where your analogy to the tech bubble fits. Google, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Intel were all around when the Tech bubble burst. When you've got any kind of technological renaissance like you had in the 1990s there's going to be a gold rush and many investors and entrepreneurs are going to come back empty handed.

Here's my breakdown of the situation:

1. Is the Bowl situation better than it used to be? Yes. At one time you practically had to win the conference championship to get to a bowl game and now the conference has five bowl tie-ins, with more possibly on the way. The ratings are not bad at all, too.

2. Is the TV contract situation better than it used to be? Yes. We get pocket change, but still better than what the Sun Belt would once get. And increased availability of stations like ESPN2 and ESPNU helps exposure for non-major FBS leagues.

3. Is post-season money better than it used to be? No question. You only need compare what the G5 gets from the CFP compared with the BCS as I said. And as I said before, there's automatic access to the NY6 bowls.

On top of that, GS and App (as an example) have significantly increased their budgets since moving to FBS. Being concerned because your travel costs went up several hundred thousand dollars a year just seems like missing the forest for the trees.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 10:45 AM by EigenEagle.)
07-15-2017 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.