Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas State for Charlotte? ... Barbecue and Doughnuts!
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: Texas State for Charlotte?
(06-26-2017 07:10 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 02:58 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  What's in it for C-USA, though? For a trade to happen, as opposed to a raid, both sides have to believe they are getting more in return than what they are losing. Charlotte isn't adding much for C-USA, so they'd be happier to lose them than ODU.

And what would that be that's in it for CUSA. Texas State football over the last 5 years avg is 4-8, the last 2 years 2-10.

Texas State has the number one recruiting class in the Sun Belt. It's a huge school and, when it puts out a compotent team on the field, it sells lots of tickets. I believe they were second or third in the league for attendance. It would lessen travel considerably for C-USA West schools, and the loss of Charlotte would be mitigated for C-USA East with the return of UAB to the division.

BTW, Texas State did make it to the SBC Tournament finals in basketball this past March.
06-26-2017 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-26-2017 07:19 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 02:58 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  What's in it for C-USA, though? For a trade to happen, as opposed to a raid, both sides have to believe they are getting more in return than what they are losing. Charlotte isn't adding much for C-USA, so they'd be happier to lose them than ODU.

And what would that be that's in it for CUSA. Texas State football over the last 5 years avg is 4-8, the last 2 years 2-10.

Texas State has the number one recruiting class in the Sun Belt. It's a huge school and, when it puts out a compotent team on the field, it sells lots of tickets. I believe they were second or third in the league for attendance. It would lessen travel considerably for C-USA West schools, and the loss of Charlotte would be mitigated for C-USA East with the return of UAB to the division.

BTW, Texas State did make it to the SBC Tournament finals in basketball this past March.

I took a look at thier attendance on Wiki over the past few years. They've had some good crowds. A few bigger names at or around capacity. But in general thier attendance was pretty good at the beginning of the season but would lose a few thousand a game as the season goes on until it was under 15k by year end. I would guess the winters are pretty mild in San Marcos so I'm assuming every year hope springs eternal then become disillusioned as the season progresses.
06-26-2017 07:44 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(06-26-2017 07:44 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

I took a look at thier attendance on Wiki over the past few years. They've had some good crowds. A few bigger names at or around capacity. But in general thier attendance was pretty good at the beginning of the season but would lose a few thousand a game as the season goes on until it was under 15k by year end. I would guess the winters are pretty mild in San Marcos so I'm assuming every year hope springs eternal then become disillusioned as the season progresses.

All of our "bigger name" home opponents have exceeded capacity. The pattern I see is this 1st home game vs FCS we get like 24-25K, 2nd home game vs OOC G5 draws good (USM 2015 had 27k+, Wyoming 2013 had 23K), then by the time we have our first Sun Belt game we start to see whether or not this is a good team. The past two years have sucked and then attendance goes down. Especially for the midweek games.

I'd like to think that if we moved to CUSA that UTSA and UNT would bring some serious fan travelers. UTEP and Rice might not bring many of their own but the names are well known in Texas, especially if compared to most Sun Belt schools, and might create more interest from our own fans/students.

Of course we'll see how our series with UTSA go. I expect every game at Bobcat Stadium to be sold out and every one at the Alamodome to have at least 40k.
06-26-2017 08:02 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

TXST sucked after Fran lost control of the team. Went 6-6 and 7-5 in back to back seasons and didn't get a bowl. Players seemed to quit after that and are now if full rebuild mode. But seeing how USM laid an egg and rebounded, I'm not too worried.
06-26-2017 08:15 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(06-26-2017 08:02 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

All of our "bigger name" home opponents have exceeded capacity. The pattern I see is this 1st home game vs FCS we get like 24-25K, 2nd home game vs OOC G5 draws good (USM 2015 had 27k+, Wyoming 2013 had 23K), then by the time we have our first Sun Belt game we start to see whether or not this is a good team. The past two years have sucked and then attendance goes down. Especially for the midweek games.

I'd like to think that if we moved to CUSA that UTSA and UNT would bring some serious fan travelers. UTEP and Rice might not bring many of their own but the names are well known in Texas, especially if compared to most Sun Belt schools, and might create more interest from our own fans/students.

Of course we'll see how our series with UTSA go. I expect every game at Bobcat Stadium to be sold out and every one at the Alamodome to have at least 40k.

Does UNT travel well to UTSA or Rice?
06-26-2017 08:17 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(06-26-2017 03:42 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  We'll take it!

If push actually came to shove I'd really miss playing ULL, stAte, ULM, USA, Troy, and App.

Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese.
06-26-2017 08:31 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(06-26-2017 08:17 PM)slycat Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 08:02 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 07:10 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  And what would that be that's in it for CUSA. Texas State football over the last 5 years avg is 4-8, the last 2 years 2-10.

Does UNT travel well to UTSA or Rice?

UNT doesn't travel well to Apogee Stadium...
06-26-2017 08:34 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Simple solution:

New conference:
GS, Ga State, App, ODU, MT, and Marshall in the East
Troy, USA, USM, WKU, Ark State, and La Tech in the West

The conference is large enough to cover a multitude of markets but compact enough to make travel easier between schools and fan bases. I'm pretty sure every school has played in at least one bowl within the last three seasons and most have at least one conference championship in a major sport in the same time period. All the fan bases are familiar with each other, there's already great established rivalries, and only WKU, USM, and La Tech are the only schools GS doesn't already have beef with. This conference could easily replace the MWC as the 2nd best G5 and overtake the bottom of the AAC most years.

Leftovers conference:
Charlotte, Coastal, FIU, FAU, UAB, Liberty in the East
ULL, UTSA, UTEP, TXST, UNT, Rice in the West

At least they'll have good baseball!
06-26-2017 08:58 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-26-2017 08:15 PM)slycat Wrote:  But seeing how USM laid an egg and rebounded, I'm not too worried.

USM also had history on their side, Texas State doesn't. The last time Texas State had a dominate team Ronald Reagan was in the White House. Since then Texas State made the IAA playoffs only twice, 2005 and 2008. And have yet to be selected to a bowl game.
06-26-2017 09:08 PM
rycat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: txst
Texas State will return to competitive level within 1-2 years max no doubt. Better to stay with the SBC & try to help contribute to the conference's rising football recognition. We should ride out the league momentum & see how far it goes. No telling. Same for the rest of the conference.
06-26-2017 09:30 PM
CheckYosef94 Offline
2nd String

(06-26-2017 08:31 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 03:42 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  We'll take it!

If push actually came to shove I'd really miss playing ULL, stAte, ULM, USA, Troy, and App.

Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese.

That's hauntingly beautiful
06-26-2017 10:37 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(06-26-2017 08:58 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Simple solution:

New conference:
GS, Ga State, App, ODU, MT, and Marshall in the East
Troy, USA, USM, WKU, Ark State, and La Tech in the West

The conference is large enough to cover a multitude of markets but compact enough to make travel easier between schools and fan bases. I'm pretty sure every school has played in at least one bowl within the last three seasons and most have at least one conference championship in a major sport in the same time period. All the fan bases are familiar with each other, there's already great established rivalries, and only WKU, USM, and La Tech are the only schools GS doesn't already have beef with. This conference could easily replace the MWC as the 2nd best G5 and overtake the bottom of the AAC most years.

Leftovers conference:
Charlotte, Coastal, FIU, FAU, UAB, Liberty in the East
ULL, UTSA, UTEP, TXST, UNT, Rice in the West

At least they'll have good baseball!

Much rather have Louisiana than tech. Maybe even trade TXST for WKU. Actually I would like to keep what we have. The grass is not always greener.
06-26-2017 10:42 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(06-26-2017 03:40 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  It took three pages, but I'll say it. You know there are 17 other sports the conference offers and you'd then essentially leave UTA on an island, thereby increasing travel costs for the entire conference. Not to mention you'd be giving up the team that finished second in the all-sports standings and alienating UTA, which finished third. That means that the competitiveness of every other sport falls.

But, you know, football.

When are you going to get it through that thick skull....

your school does not matter.

Unless you are playing fb in the SBC you are like the little brother that tag along because the mother makes the older brother take you or he doesn't go.

The western part of the SBC needs to add the Texas schools so Texas St wont be alone.

As for FIU and FAU...we will keep them. At least they have warm weather in the winter and a warm ocean and a trip that is never boring.

BTW, each one of the Fl. schools also have a FBS conference championship. 7 out of the 12 current SBC schools can't say that and 4 CUSA schools. Including the school the ODU fan roots for.

The one thing Texas St does offer, a stop in Round Rock, (if you drive) for some world famous donuts.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 03:31 AM by WKUYG.)
06-27-2017 03:25 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(06-27-2017 03:25 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 03:40 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  It took three pages, but I'll say it. You know there are 17 other sports the conference offers and you'd then essentially leave UTA on an island, thereby increasing travel costs for the entire conference. Not to mention you'd be giving up the team that finished second in the all-sports standings and alienating UTA, which finished third. That means that the competitiveness of every other sport falls.

But, you know, football.

Unless you are playing fb in the SBC you are like the little brother that tag along because the mother makes the older brother take you or he doesn't go.

The western part of the SBC needs to add the Texas schools so Texas St wont be alone.

As for FIU and FAU...we will keep them. At least they have warm weather in the winter and a warm ocean and a trip that is never boring.

BTW, each one of the Fl. schools also have a FBS conference championship. 7 out of the 12 current SBC schools can't say that and 4 CUSA schools. Including the school the ODU fan roots for.

The one thing Texas St does offer, a stop in Round Rock, (if you drive) for some world famous donuts.

Don't care how good they are I'm not driving 17 1/2 hrs to get doughnuts.
Besides, they can't be as good as Krispy Kreme's.
06-27-2017 07:15 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I think UNCC should move down to the Southern Conference and we can schedule them as our cupcake game every once in a while.
06-27-2017 07:33 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
This is a hard one. While Charlotte is much closer to me in the metro ATL I like having a TX team since we are both top five football states.
06-27-2017 07:57 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(06-27-2017 07:15 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(06-27-2017 03:25 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

But, you know, football.

Don't care how good they are I'm not driving 17 1/2 hrs to get doughnuts.
Besides, they can't be as good as Krispy Kreme's.

If the best thing you get from a TXST trip are some overrated donuts then you aren't doing it right. I mean they are better than Krispy Kreme but still.....
06-27-2017 09:10 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
For the record you can't properly judge Krispy Kreme's donut until you've had one freshly glazed

[Image: rXcG34_zpsvjxvvb2j.gif]
06-27-2017 09:31 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(06-27-2017 09:31 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  For the record you can't properly judge Krispy Kreme's donut until you've had one freshly glazed

Agreed. It would be one hell of a donut to overtake Krispy Kreme
06-27-2017 09:51 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(06-27-2017 09:51 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  
(06-27-2017 09:31 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  For the record you can't properly judge Krispy Kreme's donut until you've had one freshly glazed

Agreed. It would be one hell of a donut to overtake Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme donuts always seemed greasy to me at least as far as the glazed ones are concerned. I'm OK with the cream filled Krispy Kreme but they're still not great IMHO.
06-27-2017 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.