Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Carey Hot Seat?
Bookmark and Share
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
RE: Carey Hot Seat?
(06-30-2017 02:45 PM)murph83 Wrote:  Rooting for your favorite team to lose under any circumstances is unacceptable. Doing so is turning your back on that team. I'm not speaking as a troll or a former coach, either.

Rooting for your favorite team to lose for a greater good is acceptable in my book.

Just one example... The Cubs would have probably missed out on Kris Bryant if they continued to win meaningless games in the 2012 season.

Carey inherited a gold mine, with a chance to turn NIU into the new Boise St, he completely failed.
07-04-2017 07:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(07-04-2017 07:37 AM)PrideinthePack2 Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 02:45 PM)murph83 Wrote:  Rooting for your favorite team to lose under any circumstances is unacceptable. Doing so is turning your back on that team. I'm not speaking as a troll or a former coach, either.

Rooting for your favorite team to lose for a greater good is acceptable in my book.

Just one example... The Cubs would have probably missed out on Kris Bryant if they continued to win meaningless games in the 2012 season.

Carey inherited a gold mine, with a chance to turn NIU into the new Boise St, he completely failed.

As a former athlete I could not fathom being part of a team or program that would go and lose on purpose to spite a teammate or coach. In my opinion, anyone with that logic has never truly competed in any sport or was ever a good teammate at anything. True fans don't cheer for loses "Period". Also as a Cubs fan I never once cheered for them to lose even when they sucked. Any fan with that logic should give up on being a fan. "It's not for you". Take up a new hobby bro.....
07-04-2017 07:54 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(07-04-2017 07:54 AM)BDB5yp Wrote:  

As a former athlete I could not fathom being part of a team or program that would go and lose on purpose to spite a teammate or coach. In my opinion, anyone with that logic has never truly competed in any sport or was ever a good teammate at anything. True fans don't cheer for loses "Period". Also as a Cubs fan I never once cheered for them to lose even when they sucked. Any fan with that logic should give up on being a fan. "It's not for you". Take up a new hobby bro.....

A college football player only has 44 games to either finish his playing days, or prove himself ready for the NFL, assuming he even gets to play every game. I doubt he would want to get a reputation as a quitter.

On the other hand, EMU played losing football for over 20 years, and now they have finally made it to a bowl game. I guess all of those losing seasons paid off. 03-idea
07-04-2017 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

You completely missed the point.

No one said to lose on purpose.

It's not being mad when the team loses.

Two different things.

I'm sure you were a great athlete. All the girls are dripping over your bowling trophies.
07-04-2017 09:19 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

(07-04-2017 09:00 AM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  

A college football player only has 44 games to either finish his playing days, or prove himself ready for the NFL, assuming he even gets to play every game. I doubt he would want to get a reputation as a quitter.

On the other hand, EMU played losing football for over 20 years, and now they have finally made it to a bowl game. I guess all of those losing seasons paid off. 03-idea

Much like SuperFan up there you're applying these sensibilities as a player. No one is calling for the players to tank.

The post that I quoted was about from a fans perspective. Fireman Ed up there got mixed up and went off the rails on something that no one was talking about.
07-04-2017 09:34 AM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(06-30-2017 12:45 PM)niu1980 Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 11:20 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 09:18 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  yeah, makes sense to root AGAINST the Huskies because some internet trolls who probably never coached or played football a day in their lives decided the guy with a nearly 75% winning percentage with a half dozen or more significant quarterback injuries cannot coach........Sorry, I would rather root FOR the Huskies.

For the record, Carey's 41-26 record is a 61.2 winning percentage -- technically it could just as easily be described as nearer to 50% than "nearly 75%".
Significant or not, that career record includes 0-1 from the Orange Bowl same as it would have been 1-0 had NIU won. After his first full year, his career record was 12-3 (.800); after his second full year his career record was 23-6 (.793); after his third 31-12 (.721), after the fourth 36-19 (.655), and ultimately now 41-26 (.612).
Just curious, even if the trend of decreasing success doesn't continue, what's the "winning percentage" relative to years that would prompt you to think a change should be considered? Is it .582, .674, 603, some other number, all coupled with a post-season bowl record of 1-4, 0-4, 0-5?
This is the second post in which you've labeled those who don't share your view as "internet trolls who probably never coached or played football a day in their lives". How much football playing or coaching experience do you have?

Vegas was suggesting we root against the Huskies because of his dislike of Carey. Do you agree with that idea?

I didn't intend my comments to be taken that literally. I do not suggest NIU fans arrive at Huskie stadium wearing Toledo sweatshirts and cheer on the Rockets.

I simply don't have confidence that Coach Carey will ever be the type of leader that NIU needs to have continued success. Accordingly, I'd like to see him removed from the position.

I liken it to when a professional team unloads players and goes for the full rebuild. As fans, we strongly dislike this, however it is often in the best interests of the franchise.

It's time for Huskie football to rebuild. If that takes losing some games, then yes, I hope that happens. I will cheer on our players, I will still proudly be a fan of the team and University, but if we don't wind up victorious on game days - I'll take that as a silver lining in our cloud
07-04-2017 08:59 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I agree that NIU is not going to be playing for a championship until Carey is gone. I honestly think Carey is uncomfortable with high expectations. To be honest I don't see NIU being championship caliber again until we get a new AD also
07-04-2017 09:06 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I think people who want NIU to lose are the same ones who are happy (but not too happy) if they win.Cause to them it is a win/win.To them, success or fire Carey. Probably play pass/don't pass in craps too and hope there is no 12 on the come out. Unfortunately there are no more ties in football or they would be ecstatic. Or would they be mad?
07-04-2017 09:07 PM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

(07-04-2017 08:59 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 12:45 PM)niu1980 Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 11:20 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 09:18 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  yeah, makes sense to root AGAINST the Huskies because some internet trolls who probably never coached or played football a day in their lives decided the guy with a nearly 75% winning percentage with a half dozen or more significant quarterback injuries cannot coach........Sorry, I would rather root FOR the Huskies.

For the record, Carey's 41-26 record is a 61.2 winning percentage -- technically it could just as easily be described as nearer to 50% than "nearly 75%".
Significant or not, that career record includes 0-1 from the Orange Bowl same as it would have been 1-0 had NIU won. After his first full year, his career record was 12-3 (.800); after his second full year his career record was 23-6 (.793); after his third 31-12 (.721), after the fourth 36-19 (.655), and ultimately now 41-26 (.612).
Just curious, even if the trend of decreasing success doesn't continue, what's the "winning percentage" relative to years that would prompt you to think a change should be considered? Is it .582, .674, 603, some other number, all coupled with a post-season bowl record of 1-4, 0-4, 0-5?
This is the second post in which you've labeled those who don't share your view as "internet trolls who probably never coached or played football a day in their lives". How much football playing or coaching experience do you have?

Vegas was suggesting we root against the Huskies because of his dislike of Carey. Do you agree with that idea?

I didn't intend my comments to be taken that literally. I do not suggest NIU fans arrive at Huskie stadium wearing Toledo sweatshirts and cheer on the Rockets.

I simply don't have confidence that Coach Carey will ever be the type of leader that NIU needs to have continued success. Accordingly, I'd like to see him removed from the position.

I liken it to when a professional team unloads players and goes for the full rebuild. As fans, we strongly dislike this, however it is often in the best interests of the franchise.

It's time for Huskie football to rebuild. If that takes losing some games, then yes, I hope that happens. I will cheer on our players, I will still proudly be a fan of the team and University, but if we don't wind up victorious on game days - I'll take that as a silver lining in our cloud

X2. People like to twist words around here.

Nobody here is rooting for NIU to go 0-12. No one here is rooting for Boston College in game 1.

But if NIU is 3-7 at the end of the season, I'm definitely rooting against them going 5-7 and saving face with a "strong finish!!" (I can already hear the Carey backers talking themselves into another year if that happened, pathetic.). At that point I'd much rather finish 3-9 to get Carey off of the sideline.

And no, to those who think I should find around hobby, too bad bub, you better sack up and learn to live with it because I ain't going anywhere.
07-05-2017 04:36 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Poll question: What is more likely to happen, Carey gets hired away to be head coach of another program or Carey gets fired?
07-05-2017 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-05-2017 08:17 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Poll question: What is more likely to happen, Carey gets hired away to be head coach of another program or Carey gets fired?

Neither
07-05-2017 08:43 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(07-05-2017 08:43 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 08:17 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Poll question: What is more likely to happen, Carey gets hired away to be head coach of another program or Carey gets fired?

Neither

Neither. Carey wins 6 or 7 games for the next few seasons until he finds a really good QB.
07-05-2017 08:49 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I don't really even see the point of watching the game if you're rooting for NIU to lose. Seems like there would be better things to do.
07-05-2017 09:33 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Neither
+1
I think he is here for awhile.
07-05-2017 09:34 AM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

My sense is that one of Carey's biggest limitations is that he has a core belief that teams should not beat themselves. This makes him risk averse and he has his QBs playing scared because it has been beaten into them that the worst thing they can do is make a mistake. Teams that are playing scared will not win championships.

At times you nee to take risks and accept the fact that they will occasionally backfire. Granted he has not had a highly talented QB lately (I think that Hare could have been one without the injuries). However he has led the program long enough that he needs to take responsibility for the lack of depth at this and other positions.
07-05-2017 09:57 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-05-2017 09:57 AM)bikechuck Wrote:  My sense is that one of Carey's biggest limitations is that he has a core belief that teams should not beat themselves. This makes him risk averse and he has his QBs playing scared because it has been beaten into them that the worst thing they can do is make a mistake. Teams that are playing scared will not win championships.

At times you nee to take risks and accept the fact that they will occasionally backfire. Granted he has not had a highly talented QB lately (I think that Hare could have been one without the injuries). However he has led the program long enough that he needs to take responsibility for the lack of depth at this and other positions.

+1
07-05-2017 10:18 AM
Cowboy95 Offline
1st String

(07-04-2017 09:07 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  I think people who want NIU to lose are the same ones who are happy (but not too happy) if they win.Cause to them it is a win/win.To them, success or fire Carey. Probably play pass/don't pass in craps too and hope there is no 12 on the come out. Unfortunately there are no more ties in football or they would be ecstatic. Or would they be mad?

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It doesn't seem like a difficult concept to understand the team is better off in the long run if they have a bad year and it forces them to fire that cancer of a coach than if they go 7-5 and he is allowed to stay. Sure, everyone would prefer they win 10 games over either of the other options. Unfortunately, anyone who is this thinking that is a possibility has not been paying attention to the last few years.
07-05-2017 11:08 AM
HappyHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pigdog's Demise
(07-05-2017 09:34 AM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  

Neither
+1
I think he is here for awhile.

Who would take a Division 1 coach that lost to Western Illinois?
07-05-2017 02:38 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(07-05-2017 11:08 AM)Cowboy95 Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 09:07 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  I think people who want NIU to lose are the same ones who are happy (but not too happy) if they win.Cause to them it is a win/win.To them, success or fire Carey. Probably play pass/don't pass in craps too and hope there is no 12 on the come out. Unfortunately there are no more ties in football or they would be ecstatic. Or would they be mad?

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It doesn't seem like a difficult concept to understand the team is better off in the long run if they have a bad year and it forces them to fire that cancer of a coach than if they go 7-5 and he is allowed to stay. Sure, everyone would prefer they win 10 games over either of the other options. Unfortunately, anyone who is this thinking that is a possibility has not been paying attention to the last few years.

The llosing now to win later" is usually built on getting better players via the draft. Normally if a coach sucks the team just fires him. But in NIUs case they can't afford to. But then that means they can't afford a good new coach and you're rolling the dice to repeat the same bad 5 years again. With the improved recruiting I think Carey will have enough success to stick around for several years. The Mac is so bad they'll always be around .500 worst case.
07-05-2017 02:57 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(07-05-2017 02:57 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  With the improved recruiting I think Carey will have enough success to stick around for several years.

Where is this "improved recruiting"? Hasn't everybody on here pretty much decided recruiting rankings are pointless? Nevertheless, which of the minimal-star, lower-rated recruits are going to turn things around?

Hot seats depend on who is doing the rating.....note Dennis Dodd putting Carey into his "safe and secure" category. Is that because Dodd has higher expectations or simply knows the money doesn't exist for a buyout?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d1857f33-...-five.html
07-05-2017 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.