Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT EMU Budget Article
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
OT EMU Budget Article
CMU seems more transparent, $20 million isn't a lot, meanwhile our admin seems to be dodging the issue

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story...353369001/
05-30-2017 02:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

All_EMU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EMU
RE: OT EMU Budget Article
It appears 250 + staff are being offered early retirement as of today...40% of their salary is the offer.
05-30-2017 09:46 AM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(05-30-2017 09:46 AM)All_EMU Wrote:  It appears 250 + staff are being offered early retirement as of today...40% of their salary is the offer.

Lucky for them. 2 words come to mind......rightsizing & competition.

"University officials don't like the idea that they are fighting over students — and thus, dollars." 01-wingedeagle
05-30-2017 10:07 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-30-2017 09:46 AM)All_EMU Wrote:  It appears 250 + staff are being offered early retirement as of today...40% of their salary is the offer.

Good idea.

I remember in the 1990s and 2000s, the Federal governments (certain departments) offered 25K for an early out.

For some, the choice of taking $25K then vs working say 3 - 5 more years (before retiring) was an appealing choice.

Nice way to reduce staff size.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 10:24 AM by emu steve.)
05-30-2017 10:14 AM
Advertisement

EagleTough Offline
All American

"If they can raise $35 million, God bless them," Smith said, noting they had a donor give $6 million towards the project and haven't had similar donors on the academic side.

So Smith thinks of athletics as 'they'.......like it's not even part of the University? Haha

Could be overthinking it, but hopefully that slip of the tongue is not a preview of an 'us vs. them' mentality going forward with this guy.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 10:35 AM by EagleTough.)
05-30-2017 10:24 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Not impressed with Smith. Martin faced the same challenges and in my opinion handled them better. Why not have more exact figures prior to meeting with the staff and students instead of being vague about it like you're trying to hide the truth? Past president of EMU have not been open and forthright in providing information and it has cost us big time.

Pretty lukewarm endorsement of the athletic fund effort. Not want you want to see-God bless them? Pretty dismissive in my opinion. I would have expected stronger words of encouragement.

On the other hand at some point we need to stop underfunding education all across the board, college costs are already above the middle class family ability to afford it and we are not doing American business any favors in terms of long term competitiveness.
05-30-2017 11:26 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2017 10:24 AM)EagleTough Wrote:  "If they can raise $35 million, God bless them," Smith said, noting they had a donor give $6 million towards the project and haven't had similar donors on the academic side.

So Smith thinks of athletics as 'they'.......like it's not even part of the University? Haha

Could be overthinking it, but hopefully that slip of the tongue is not a preview of an 'us vs. them' mentality going forward with this guy.

Div II mentality to match his hoped for athletic director's skill set?
05-30-2017 12:40 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

Wonder if anyone in that meeting asked him how much his 13 days in China cost EMU?

If his plan to save EMU is to lure wealthy Chinese with the ability to pay full tuition, EMU is in big trouble. Many TOP schools like Michigan, Stanford, Ivy League, etc, etc, all trying to do the same thing. Who do you think wins that competition?

He mentions "we have to determine where our niche is." Great idea. How about starting with nextgen automotive. Your school just happens to be in Michigan......not far from the Motor City......in the same town as Willow Run. You can get everywhere you need to go on a tank of gas, instead of wasting time on some far flung Chinese pipe dream.

He could totally eliminate athletics, and that would only save a few EMU jobs, temporarily. Higher education continues to resist even minimal change, but drastic change is inevitable. In the future there will be no need for large institutions like UM, MSU, EMU, CMU, and WMU all in the State of MI.

So tell us Mr. Smith, what is this niche you speak of......what is your larger plan to save EMU? Please don't try to make the pathetic argument that athletic spending is the root of all EMU evil.
05-30-2017 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.