Bookmark and Share
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Dont know the numbers but
(05-27-2017 09:08 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 06:49 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 02:26 PM)stodgdog Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 01:41 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  Umm...where is this coming from? He didn't even mention Tech...

Man, it was obvious as he always points out that attendance at Tech games is "inflated" because many sit or stand outside the stadium, much like at Wrigley Field. Tech even has dorms overlooking the left field wall much like Waveland Avenue at Wrigley. Many students watch the game from their balconies. I don't know that Tech claims these "viewers" as official attendance, but EE claims that they do. It was a very subtle jibe at Tech and very obvious.

As far as the "favor" I asked for I would appreciate EEs cooperation. He claims to be fair in his observations about Tech. I am sick and tired of @ Lafayette dragging Tech into its name game. Tech chose not to participate in the ULX nonsense and, as predicted, it has been a train wreck. Yet, @ Lafayetters continue to drag us into it making false claims. Since EE and the Cajuns are such chums it would be nice if he would chime in about the name game as he claims to offer fair and balanced information. Even the Cajuns know our name, official or otherwise, does not include Ruston. Yet, in their continuous pursuit of usage of their illegal and unethical claim to UL and/or Louisiana, they drag Tech into it. Tech folks would never have given a damn had they not done this.

I have no objections in responding to a sensible and inoffensive request. Let me ask you to point out any post in which I supported or referred to ULL as the University of Louisiana. You cant find even one, zilch, zero. If you can then it must have occured during a mis understood discussion. Same applies to La Tech and Ruston. I cant remember ever combining those as a name for La Tech.

That said I can state that I have not opposed ULL using Louisiana as their name. That is not illegal because it cant be copywrited, etc. but I have pointed out the way to stop that nonsense is for EVERY team in Louisiana to buy some jerseys with "Louisiana" in bold print and wear them when playing the boys from the bayou, especially when playing at their place.

Secondly, I strongly support ULL for any new conference lineup. I have said that they should have been brought into CODA rather than Tech due to the size of their metropolitan area, the success of some of their teams, that they are probably twice the size of Tech (Tech had over 900 grads this Spring compared to over 1800 for ULL). Tech is in Dogpatch, always was and always will.

And yet Tech still has the better athletic department. Tech was clearly a better add.

Metropolitan area? Shreveport is an hour away and by itself is the 3rd largest city in LA, not even counting Bossier City which is adjacent and also in the top 10.

BTW, Dogpatch is a city in California. Bay area I believe. Sounds nice.

ULL would have been a much better addition from the USM standpoint because they bring 2-3 times more fans than Tech. I know that for a fact because my seats are directly across the field from visitors sections. When I mentioned metropolitan area I was talking about local population, not 75mi away. If ULL used your reasoning then they could count Baton Rouge, just 60mi away leaving Tech with more dust in their face.
05-27-2017 10:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(05-27-2017 10:51 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 01:41 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  Umm...where is this coming from? He didn't even mention Tech...

Man, it was obvious as he always points out that attendance at Tech games is "inflated" because many sit or stand outside the stadium, much like at Wrigley Field. Tech even has dorms overlooking the left field wall much like Waveland Avenue at Wrigley. Many students watch the game from their balconies. I don't know that Tech claims these "viewers" as official attendance, but EE claims that they do. It was a very subtle jibe at Tech and very obvious.

As far as the "favor" I asked for I would appreciate EEs cooperation. He claims to be fair in his observations about Tech. I am sick and tired of @ Lafayette dragging Tech into its name game. Tech chose not to participate in the ULX nonsense and, as predicted, it has been a train wreck. Yet, @ Lafayetters continue to drag us into it making false claims. Since EE and the Cajuns are such chums it would be nice if he would chime in about the name game as he claims to offer fair and balanced information. Even the Cajuns know our name, official or otherwise, does not include Ruston. Yet, in their continuous pursuit of usage of their illegal and unethical claim to UL and/or Louisiana, they drag Tech into it. Tech folks would never have given a damn had they not done this.

I have no objections in responding to a sensible and inoffensive request. Let me ask you to point out any post in which I supported or referred to ULL as the University of Louisiana. You cant find even one, zilch, zero. If you can then it must have occured during a mis understood discussion. Same applies to La Tech and Ruston. I cant remember ever combining those as a name for La Tech.

That said I can state that I have not opposed ULL using Louisiana as their name. That is not illegal because it cant be copywrited, etc. but I have pointed out the way to stop that nonsense is for EVERY team in Louisiana to buy some jerseys with "Louisiana" in bold print and wear them when playing the boys from the bayou, especially when playing at their place.

Secondly, I strongly support ULL for any new conference lineup. I have said that they should have been brought into CODA rather than Tech due to the size of their metropolitan area, the success of some of their teams, that they are probably twice the size of Tech (Tech had over 900 grads this Spring compared to over 1800 for ULL). Tech is in Dogpatch, always was and always will.

And yet Tech still has the better athletic department. Tech was clearly a better add.

Metropolitan area? Shreveport is an hour away and by itself is the 3rd largest city in LA, not even counting Bossier City which is adjacent and also in the top 10.

ULL would have been a much better addition from the USM standpoint because they bring 2-3 times more fans than Tech. I know that for a fact because my seats are directly across the field from visitors sections. When I mentioned metropolitan area I was talking about local population, not 75mi away. If ULL used your reasoning then they could count Baton Rouge, just 60mi away leaving Tech with more dust in their face.

Let it be known this eager poster speaks for himself. Tech is a great program and USM fans are excited to be in a league with them. This eager obviously has an agenda against Tech. As for ULL, they have their own issues of cheating and 13 football players charged with a felony. I am glad they aren't in our league given those issues.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 12:28 AM by usmbacker.)
05-27-2017 11:00 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
I love having Tech in our league, very solid athletics programs.
05-28-2017 05:54 AM
southernmiss4ever Offline
All American

Can't remember the last time I blocked a USM fan, but I just blocked this guy.

Talk about always hijacking a thread.
05-28-2017 06:26 AM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

4200+ on Friday night
4100+ on Saturday night.

Charlotte traveled decently well. I have a feeling Rice has/will too. I'm guessing 4800+ announced today.
05-28-2017 08:23 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2017 08:23 AM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  4200+ on Friday night
4100+ on Saturday night.

Charlotte traveled decently well. I have a feeling Rice has/will too. I'm guessing 4800+ announced today.

I thought UTSA had decent amount of fans as well especially considering they didn't clinch a berth until less than a week before the tournament started. Felt like La Tech had less than last year in Hattiesburg but still had a good crowd as well. I didn't see any of the non USM games thanks mostly to games staying as close to on schedule as possible so not sure about ODU, FAU, Rice or FIU.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 08:39 AM by usm99.)
05-28-2017 08:38 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I don't think there will be as many today with church in the morning.
05-28-2017 10:12 AM
stodgdog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

I never said you supported their name game. I do disagree with you that their use of Louisiana is allowable under the law. The use of Louisiana implies that it is short for U of La or La U and also implies flagship status, which the law strictly forbids.

Apparently, the decision makers within CUSA thought Tech to be a better choice than ULL, and Tech has acquitted itself quite well as a member of CUSA.

I don't understand your obvious hatred of Tech. What does CODA mean?

Thanks for your response
05-28-2017 01:13 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(05-27-2017 08:56 AM)NullPointerEagle Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 08:23 AM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Math skills are lacking on the coast way more than 4200

I agree. If the park's capacity is just over 6,000, I don't see how 1,800 more people could have squeezed in last night.

A lot of the natives in Biloxi are Vietnamese in origin and they tend to take up less space than Hattiesburg people.

EDIT: And we're doing the UL(L) name thing *again*? Geez.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 01:39 PM by AndreWhere.)
05-28-2017 01:38 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(05-28-2017 01:38 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 08:56 AM)NullPointerEagle Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 08:23 AM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Math skills are lacking on the coast way more than 4200

I agree. If the park's capacity is just over 6,000, I don't see how 1,800 more people could have squeezed in last night.

A lot of the natives in Biloxi are Vietnamese in origin and they tend to take up less space than Hattiesburg people.

EDIT: And we're doing the UL(L) name thing *again*? Geez.

Side Note: The Vietnamese food in Biloxi/D'Iberville is top notch. Pho and Spring Rolls for days.
05-28-2017 01:55 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-28-2017 01:13 PM)stodgdog Wrote:  

I never said you supported their name game. I do disagree with you that their use of Louisiana is allowable under the law. The use of Louisiana implies that it is short for U of La or La U and also implies flagship status, which the law strictly forbids.

Apparently, the decision makers within CUSA thought Tech to be a better choice than ULL, and Tech has acquitted itself quite well as a member of CUSA.

I don't understand your obvious hatred of Tech. What does CODA mean?

Thanks for your response

1. Using "Louisiana" alone is NOT prohibited. That denotes anything one wants it to. They ARE prohibited from using UNIVERSITY of preceding Louisiana. This is why I recommend yall clip their wings by buying cheap jerseys with "Louisiana", just like theirs, and wear them anytime you compete against them, preferably on their home courts.

2. I wasnt referring to the decision makers selecting Tech as a better choice. I said that ULL was a better choice for USM since they bring double or triple the number of fans who buy tickets compared to Tech. Its a money thing.

3. CODA was type error. Should have been CDOA, conference dead on arrival. Lots of talk over the watering holes, USM is going to move toward reducing travel and this league will not exist in its present form within another year or two at most. They have decided its easier to travel to places like Troy, ULL, ULM, South Alabama, etc and easier for their fans to come to the Burg as compared to UTEP, UTSA, FIU, FAU, ODU, etc. Got to face reality, AAC & others are moving at snail paces. Games against the new ones mentioned would be just as meaningful as the others. Keep it at about 10 leaving plenty of room to schedule meaningful out of conference games for ones national splash.
05-29-2017 03:42 PM
TheChosenOne Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Home Team
(05-27-2017 11:00 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 10:51 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 02:26 PM)stodgdog Wrote:  Man, it was obvious as he always points out that attendance at Tech games is "inflated" because many sit or stand outside the stadium, much like at Wrigley Field. Tech even has dorms overlooking the left field wall much like Waveland Avenue at Wrigley. Many students watch the game from their balconies. I don't know that Tech claims these "viewers" as official attendance, but EE claims that they do. It was a very subtle jibe at Tech and very obvious.

Let it be known this eager poster speaks for himself. Tech is a great program and USM fans are excited to be in a league with them. This eager obviously has an agenda against Tech. As for ULL, they have their own issues of cheating and 13 football players charged with a felony. I am glad they aren't in our league given those issues.

I second USMBacker comments. Tech fans are great and athletics are competitive. Met several fans home and away, every experience has been a positive experience. Go Dawgs!!!!!!
05-29-2017 06:00 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
Much rather have La Tech than "Louisiana"...

That being "said", and I understand "Loozy-anar" (as we call it) is ate up with LSU, I still wonder why Tech has not established a "reasonable" fanbase ala USM...(and by "reasonable", I mean 25,000 to 30,000 fans, not bad when stacked up against SEC in-state competition.)

Tech has a long football tradition, and does well with in state recruits, so the support seems to lag far behind...
05-29-2017 06:27 PM
techdawg28 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(05-29-2017 06:27 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Much rather have La Tech than "Louisiana"...

That being "said", and I understand "Loozy-anar" (as we call it) is ate up with LSU, I still wonder why Tech has not established a "reasonable" fanbase ala USM...(and by "reasonable", I mean 25,000 to 30,000 fans, not bad when stacked up against SEC in-state competition.)

Tech has a long football tradition, and does well with in state recruits, so the support seems to lag far behind...

I think it helps you guys that there are two P5 teams and then just you for G5 in MS. In Louisiana, with only LSU from a P5, everyone just teams up with them. It's just kinda expected. For you guys, since there's 2 P5s, it isn't expected for everyone to be on the same team, so the idea of cheering for someone else (i.e. USM) isn't that foreign a concept.

Those fans left over to be G5 fans only have USM in MS, whereas in LA you have Tech, ULM (30 min apart), ULL, and Tulane. Take away those other 3 and we'd have a larger fanbase, particularly if ULM had never upgraded from being a JUCO in the 50s(?).

Aka the G5 fans of Louisiana are split more ways than Mississippi.
05-29-2017 07:25 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

Then you haven't been to Mis'sippi very often, because OP/FailState suck the whole life outta our state like a Hoover Vacuum...

Plus, you folks have 1.5 meelion more people in your state (a side note: Miss. is 60/40 white/black and the traditional black colleges are still the overwhelming choices of the African-American fan)

Now, USM HAS benefitted from Old Mrs and MStake being perennial also-rans (just don't tell them, they are in denial), while LSU is an SEC power. But the SEC welfare system allows the Black Bears and Bullpuppies to reload every year, while we must balance our budget even as our TV monies get reduced.

So, we both have crosses to bear, and I doubt if ours is any lighter than your'n, my friend.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 07:46 PM by eaglebeaver.)
05-29-2017 07:44 PM
MasMack Offline
1st String

5,216 at the championship game on Sunday. Great showing the entire tourney. In fact, 4 of the games at MGM Park had larger crowds than the largest crowd at Pete Taylor Park last year.

Pretty strong statement to keep the tourney there.
05-29-2017 08:11 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-29-2017 06:27 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Much rather have La Tech than "Louisiana"...

Beaver, its not what one would "like" or what we would rather have anymore. USM has its back to the wall financially and will be making whatever moves are necessary to remain stable, some will fall in line and others wont. If USM were like your friends at Tech and could draw $8-9mil out of the school and state kitty to cover losses each year then we would be fine but we cant so hang on for some changes.
05-30-2017 07:29 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

05-30-2017 10:17 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-30-2017 07:29 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  

Beaver, its not what one would "like" or what we would rather have anymore. USM has its back to the wall financially and will be making whatever moves are necessary to remain stable, some will fall in line and others wont. If USM were like your friends at Tech and could draw $8-9mil out of the school and state kitty to cover losses each year then we would be fine but we cant so hang on for some changes.

USM does draw about that much between school funds and student fees. LA doesn't allow a student athletic fee.
05-30-2017 10:34 AM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2017 07:29 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  

So ULL brings more to the table than "my friends" (say what?) at Tech? This is the same "logic" Memphis, ECU and Toolame, long time football partners and most-time victims, use against USM.
05-30-2017 04:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.