Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hell of a run
Bookmark and Share
mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Towson
Hell of a run
A couple of things. Made it up there today even though our site was down and I basically just tweeted all day. I guess I could have used this site instead but didn't think of that. This was actually the best game of the four quarterfinal games, which were all blowouts. Didn't even stay for the Md/Albany game and glad I didn't as that was the most lopsided game of the weekend.

Anyway, also didn't want to walk back up the stands of that horrible press box with my knee issues. Not blaming the people that work at Delaware because they do the best they can do with that monstrosity. And they have a nice 1-AA/FCS stadium, nice turf practice facility, solid arena, baseball stadium, etc. But the press box is their Achilles' heel.

I thought some, not all, of the Cuse media disrespected us. One writer called our coach Sean Nadeline (can't Google his name?) and others at the press conference wondered if it's Toson with a "W"? Huh? I know we rarely play Syracuse but guess who was in the quarterfinals last season? TOWSON. How about the playoffs in 2015 when we fell (got jobbed) at Notre Dame? Towson. Shawn Nadelen has taken the team to a level that Tony Seaman and Carl Runk did though Runk, who should be in the Lax HOF, also made the Finals and won it in D2.

This is a program with a tremendous amount of success in all levels but Nads can do what Charlie Toomey did for Loyola- win a title. And why not? Ohio State beat us the first time but that was in 20 degrees minus the wind chill before Matt Hoy was named goaltender. I'm a bit worried about Alex Woodall's health. He gave it his all today despite not being 100%. Fortunately, Nads noticed he was struggling in the 4th quarter and got Harryman in the game for one draw and he won.

Back to Hoy. He's been the difference. The defense is spectacular though they needed Hoy in several instances to bail them out, esp. on man-down situations. This kind of reminds me of Rich Betcher in 1991. He was athletic as hell and got hot in the postseason after an up-and-down season. Hoy didn't really get to be up-and-down because he didn't start until midseason. Amazing that we have a backup goaltender, who sat two years behind Tyler White, and a half season behind Josh Miller. Now he's helped take Towson to their third Final Four and first since 2001.

I'll attempt to put the press conference up either by video or transcribe it.
05-21-2017 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chris Datres Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Hell of a run
The thing that has struck me about our two wins in the playoffs is just how much difference it makes when you have a rock-solid defense. Both Penn State and Syracuse were high-octane teams and we shut them down, thanks to our possession time and our defense. Naturally, Woodall is a major difference-maker when he's winning faceoffs but today, it just seemed like we could do no wrong out there other than the 2-minute stretch early in the 4th quarter when Cuse got 2 or 3 quick ones to really get the nervous meter jumping. Plus, we looked so composed out there when we had the ball. There was no rush or pressure to get force the issue...we let the game come to us. And it's a giant help when we score on our first 3 EMOs.

I was thinking about this as the game was going on -- UMBC got to a Final Four a couple years ago and Loyola won it a few years back...it should be our turn to do some damage. It's great that we already played OSU this year and can learn from that one, even if it was -30 degrees outside. We've got a really experienced bunch of kids on this team and the coaching staff will find the right adjustments plus we're playing with that giant chip on our shoulder thanks to there being no number next to our name.
05-21-2017 09:33 PM
mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Hell of a run
(05-21-2017 09:33 PM)Chris Datres Wrote:  The thing that has struck me about our two wins in the playoffs is just how much difference it makes when you have a rock-solid defense. Both Penn State and Syracuse were high-octane teams and we shut them down, thanks to our possession time and our defense. Naturally, Woodall is a major difference-maker when he's winning faceoffs but today, it just seemed like we could do no wrong out there other than the 2-minute stretch early in the 4th quarter when Cuse got 2 or 3 quick ones to really get the nervous meter jumping. Plus, we looked so composed out there when we had the ball. There was no rush or pressure to get force the issue...we let the game come to us. And it's a giant help when we score on our first 3 EMOs.

I was thinking about this as the game was going on -- UMBC got to a Final Four a couple years ago and Loyola won it a few years back...it should be our turn to do some damage. It's great that we already played OSU this year and can learn from that one, even if it was -30 degrees outside. We've got a really experienced bunch of kids on this team and the coaching staff will find the right adjustments plus we're playing with that giant chip on our shoulder thanks to there being no number next to our name.

Nads went out and got Woodall and Harryman because our face-offs were subpar. That shows you he isn't satisfied with just making the NCAA's every season. He wants a ring. Though I worry about Denver, if we get them in the finals, they have one of the best ever in Baptiste. I just don't know how Alex is going to physically be on Monday if we get past Ohio State. But at least he gives you a chance and possession is everything for us.

That first quarter was basically as good as we can play the game. It doesn't get much better than that and unlike other Syracuse games, they couldn't recover in this one. Why? Face-offs, defense and goaltending. We have all three facets maybe for the first time since 2001 when we had Justin Berry, John Horrigan and Adam Baxter, Dan Cocchi and company. For some reason, that team was more enjoyable to watch but this team just appears to have a much better chance because there are no dominant teams this season.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 11:11 PM by mat1992.)
05-21-2017 11:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.