Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well Terry D. and Wedge, your women are heading to Auburn for the Softball Regionals
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Well Terry D. and Wedge, your women are heading to Auburn for the Softball Regionals
It's an interesting mix and should make for a fun tournament.
05-14-2017 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: Well Terry D. and Wedge, your women are heading to Auburn for the Softball Regionals
I don't follow softball closely, but I'm surprised the Bears are in, given that they were 6-17 in conference play. Looks like 8 of the 9 Pac-12 teams are in the NCAA tournament.
05-14-2017 09:53 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Well Terry D. and Wedge, your women are heading to Auburn for the Softball Regionals
(05-14-2017 09:53 PM)Wedge Wrote:  I don't follow softball closely, but I'm surprised the Bears are in, given that they were 6-17 in conference play. Looks like 8 of the 9 Pac-12 teams are in the NCAA tournament.

Well the SEC got all 13 in. (Vandy doesn't play softball.) I don't know if we deserved that but. Notre Dame, Cal, East Tennessee State and Auburn make up our regional. The winner plays the winner of the Oklahoma regional. Still that will be a really interesting mix of styles and schools.
05-14-2017 10:08 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Every single SEC team got in. Every. Single. One. There's something wrong with that big time.

MW only two bids. The BW and WCC one each.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2017 10:14 PM by jdgaucho.)
05-14-2017 10:10 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

There gonna be a tournament thread for softball this year?
05-14-2017 10:17 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
The lone team in the Pac-12 to not make it is Stanford. But at least we won a conference game this year.
05-14-2017 11:39 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Minnesota went 54-3, won 25 in a row, had a 7th place rating in RPI last week, won the B1G this week, but still won't host as they have to go to the 16th seed, Alabama.
05-14-2017 11:46 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

You think the basketball selection is egregious, softball is even worse.

Minnesota not hosting a regional is absolutely ridiculous.
05-14-2017 11:59 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
13 consecutive NCAA trips for Louisville snapped. Cards left out
05-15-2017 12:44 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Thanks, JR. I don't follow softball at all.

But, oh well, Go Irish.
05-15-2017 07:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-15-2017 07:32 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Thanks, JR. I don't follow softball at all.

But, oh well, Go Irish.

Softball is the only Title 9 sport at Auburn that is also a revenue sport. If the popularity keeps growing in the deep South then I think it will likely become true at all SEC venues.

I truly understand why the Minnesota folks feel jobbed. They deserved a national seed.

Now the reason I mention them and softball becoming a revenue sport in the Southeast is because when NCAA baseball regionals were annunced 20 years ago or so, they played some of them at the home field of a #2 seed if the school in question didn't have a large enough venue to host. But in Minnesota's case none of that applied. They played in a weak conference and that's the only knock on them. I was surprised as well at their placement.

Fluguar was posting today that he thought the SEC paid the committee for the outcome. That's ridiculous. The problem IMO is that the committee serves ESPN just like they essentially do for the CFP. It's why committees everywhere need to go. ESPN has been selling women's softball coverage for sometime now. They do a good job with it, but they like full venues for these events. So the pairings have never been a true seed. ULL is in the bracket with LSU which if they win will likely face FSU. Texas and Texas A&M will be forced to play. Auburn and Oklahoma last years finals pairing would have to meet up if they both win. Etc. They were building storylines and setting up pairings for TV interest and talking points and wanted sold out venues to broadcast from. It would be refreshing if they just admitted it played some series at #2 seed venues and seeded the teams appropriately like baseball used to do. Then Minnesota might have played at Kentucky, but they would have been the #1 seed, the Cats #2 and the Gophers would have had the easier path. It still wouldn't have been right, but it wouldn't have been doubly wrong by messing up their deserved seeding.
05-15-2017 09:23 AM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-14-2017 10:10 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Every single SEC team got in. Every. Single. One. There's something wrong with that big time.

Agreed. That really sucks
05-15-2017 10:18 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(05-15-2017 09:23 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Now the reason I mention them and softball becoming a revenue sport in the Southeast is because when NCAA baseball regionals were annunced 20 years ago or so, they played some of them at the home field of a #2 seed if the school in question didn't have a large enough venue to host. But in Minnesota's case none of that applied. They played in a weak conference and that's the only knock on them. I was surprised as well at their placement.

It's probably RPI, and if the softball tournament committee also factors in quality wins, like the basketball committee does, that would be part of it as well.
05-15-2017 10:31 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-15-2017 10:31 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 09:23 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Now the reason I mention them and softball becoming a revenue sport in the Southeast is because when NCAA baseball regionals were annunced 20 years ago or so, they played some of them at the home field of a #2 seed if the school in question didn't have a large enough venue to host. But in Minnesota's case none of that applied. They played in a weak conference and that's the only knock on them. I was surprised as well at their placement.

It's probably RPI, and if the softball tournament committee also factors in quality wins, like the basketball committee does, that would be part of it as well.

I know it was RPI. The worst RPI an SEC school had was in the mid 30's. I was still a little surprised. But even if having all 13 in was deserved, the seeding was pretty wonky past our top 4.
05-15-2017 10:34 AM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies
RPI at selection time of the 16 national seeds (and their respective tournament seed) and the teams within the top 16 that were not selected as a national seed.

1. Florida (1)
2. Oregon (3)
3. UCLA (5)
4. Washington (6)
5. Arizona (2)
6. Auburn (7)
7. Florida State (4)
8. Texas A&M (9)
9. Tennessee (8)
10. Baylor (15)
11. Minnesota (N/A)
12. Oklahoma (10)
13. James Madison (N/A)
14. LSU (13)
15. Alabama (16)
16. Louisiana (N/A)
17. Kentucky (14)
18. Ole Miss (12)
19. Utah (11)

Must be nice to be Georgia. Not good enough to make the 12 team SEC tournament (only team left out), but good enough to apparently make the field of 64. For the basketball tournament, I've always seen the committee chair go on TV and take questions from CBS about their selections. I didn't see one person from the committee have to answer questions about their selections last night.
05-15-2017 01:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-15-2017 01:05 PM)Cajunman02 Wrote:  RPI at selection time of the 16 national seeds (and their respective tournament seed) and the teams within the top 16 that were not selected as a national seed.

1. Florida (1)
2. Oregon (3)
3. UCLA (5)
4. Washington (6)
5. Arizona (2)
6. Auburn (7)
7. Florida State (4)
8. Texas A&M (9)
9. Tennessee (8)
10. Baylor (15)
11. Minnesota (N/A)
12. Oklahoma (10)
13. James Madison (N/A)
14. LSU (13)
15. Alabama (16)
16. Louisiana (N/A)
17. Kentucky (14)
18. Ole Miss (12)
19. Utah (11)

Must be nice to be Georgia. Not good enough to make the 12 team SEC tournament (only team left out), but good enough to apparently make the field of 64. For the basketball tournament, I've always seen the committee chair go on TV and take questions from CBS about their selections. I didn't see one person from the committee have to answer questions about their selections last night.

Yep, 3 talking heads, and none of them impressively knowledgeable.
05-15-2017 01:30 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

multi-bid conferences.

13: SEC
8: Pac-12 (of nine teams, only Stanford left out)
5: B1G
4: Big 12
3: ACC, C-USA
2: Sun Belt, Mountain West.

I think that just about covers the at-large picture. As usual, just four going to conferences outside the p5
05-15-2017 01:51 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Every Home Team won their regionals.

8 SEC
5 Pac 12
2 Big 12
1 ACC
05-23-2017 12:43 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-23-2017 12:43 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Every Home Team won their regionals.

8 SEC
5 Pac 12
2 Big 12
1 ACC

So, Minnesota lost twice to #16 seeded host Alabama and are eliminated. Is it possible the Gophers were overrated in the polls?
05-23-2017 01:01 PM
SactoHornetAlum Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sac State
(05-14-2017 10:10 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Every single SEC team got in. Every. Single. One. There's something wrong with that big time.

Amazing what the football TV blood money over the past 20 years will do. Excluding Mizzou and aTm, most of the rest of the league didn't have softball programs until 1997. That is all TV blood money. When the TV bubble finally bursts, it will be amazing to see what survives.
05-23-2017 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.