Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread
(01-20-2018 12:34 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So...Bruce Arena gave an interview today. He blamed the World Cup failure on every person he possibly could. Talked about "bad apples" within the national team, a "Weak" player pool, and a "poor" communications department.

He then said he only resigned because it's the coach's job to accept responsibility for failure...how noble of him.

What he fails to mention is the bad apples were “his boys” that need to move along, and he limited his own player pool. He’s the man in charge and he makes the roster decisions.
01-20-2018 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
USSF Presidential Debate just wrapped up: Archived Video link if anyone gets curious http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/

I didn't watch the entire thing, but there were some highlights.

1. I'm not sure what Hope Solo plans to do outside of Gender equity, but I could listen to her bash Sunil Gulati for hours.

2. Cordeiro is certainly an establishment candidate, but he was polished and impressive. You got the impression he at least had a plan.

3. Carter looked really poor. Never gave off the vibe that she had an idea what she was really going to do. Wants to appoint an "independent commission" to take a look at USSF and see what needs to be fixed, but she wants to appoint a guy who does business with USSF and SUM to lead that committee, which sort of defeats the purpose of "independent"

4. Wynalda likes to talk...a lot. You can see the he's high energy and really popular with the locals, but I've really yet to see a sure plan as to what he's going to do. He's talked a lot about his concept of opening the system, and creating a soccer culture that doesn't just benefit the top 1 percent. Great ideas, but how? I can see that and his temper being problems for him when he tries to gather votes. Wynalda has deep connections though. Lots of big pocketed support, and support within FIFA.

5. Martino is fast becoming a top candidate in this race. He sort of comes off as the anti Wynalda. A lot of his comments pretty much echo what Wynalda does, but in a more "sensible" tone. The big difference is that you can tell he's actually worked out exactly what he would do the day he took office.

I stopped the video before Caligiuri, Winnograd, or Gans spoke, though a few reporters have said that they were all fairly impressive considering.

You get the feeling that this race is divided between keep doing what we're doing with a few tweaks (Carter, Cordiero) Burn it all to the ground (Solo, Wynalda) and "Changes need to be made, but we need a plan" (Martino, Caliguiri, Winnograd, Gans) Considering there is little to no chance that any one of the 8 gets 50 percent plus one in the first round, the election is going to come down to which candidates will voluntarily drop out after round 1 and request their voters vote for someone else. I know there's been talk that Martino/Wynalda are working out a plan, which could be important, but the question is will it be enough to overcome the gigantic block vote that is MLS Ownership
01-20-2018 11:28 PM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
I was very excited to hear Wynaldas plan, but like you think it is more “What I would like to happen” versus “What I can make happen”.

I also agree that Martino seems to be the anti-establishment with a plan, who I hope gets the nod.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2018 09:53 AM by Downtown Shocker Brown.)
01-21-2018 09:53 AM
chiefsfan Offline

Watford fired Silva today after a poor run. They then proceeded to directly blame Everton for their poor fun of form because it caused Silva to be "distracted" from his work"
01-21-2018 08:11 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(01-20-2018 09:04 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 12:34 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So...Bruce Arena gave an interview today. He blamed the World Cup failure on every person he possibly could. Talked about "bad apples" within the national team, a "Weak" player pool, and a "poor" communications department.

He then said he only resigned because it's the coach's job to accept responsibility for failure...how noble of him.

yea, he needs to shut up.

Bruce being Bruce
01-21-2018 10:55 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(01-20-2018 11:28 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  USSF Presidential Debate just wrapped up: Archived Video link if anyone gets curious http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/

I didn't watch the entire thing, but there were some highlights.

1. I'm not sure what Hope Solo plans to do outside of Gender equity, but I could listen to her bash Sunil Gulati for hours.

2. Cordeiro is certainly an establishment candidate, but he was polished and impressive. You got the impression he at least had a plan.

3. Carter looked really poor. Never gave off the vibe that she had an idea what she was really going to do. Wants to appoint an "independent commission" to take a look at USSF and see what needs to be fixed, but she wants to appoint a guy who does business with USSF and SUM to lead that committee, which sort of defeats the purpose of "independent"

4. Wynalda likes to talk...a lot. You can see the he's high energy and really popular with the locals, but I've really yet to see a sure plan as to what he's going to do. He's talked a lot about his concept of opening the system, and creating a soccer culture that doesn't just benefit the top 1 percent. Great ideas, but how? I can see that and his temper being problems for him when he tries to gather votes. Wynalda has deep connections though. Lots of big pocketed support, and support within FIFA.

5. Martino is fast becoming a top candidate in this race. He sort of comes off as the anti Wynalda. A lot of his comments pretty much echo what Wynalda does, but in a more "sensible" tone. The big difference is that you can tell he's actually worked out exactly what he would do the day he took office.

I stopped the video before Caligiuri, Winnograd, or Gans spoke, though a few reporters have said that they were all fairly impressive considering.

You get the feeling that this race is divided between keep doing what we're doing with a few tweaks (Carter, Cordiero) Burn it all to the ground (Solo, Wynalda) and "Changes need to be made, but we need a plan" (Martino, Caliguiri, Winnograd, Gans) Considering there is little to no chance that any one of the 8 gets 50 percent plus one in the first round, the election is going to come down to which candidates will voluntarily drop out after round 1 and request their voters vote for someone else. I know there's been talk that Martino/Wynalda are working out a plan, which could be important, but the question is will it be enough to overcome the gigantic block vote that is MLS Ownership

Carter was surprisingly awful.

I'd still like to see a money guy at the top....Cordiero....with Martino in a Director of Football role with some level of autonomy.
01-22-2018 08:24 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
L'pool should spend some $$$ and get a center back or two....Oh wait...

Swansea up
01-22-2018 03:41 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
And the swans get so excited that they gash open their captain's nose in the celebration.

LOL
01-22-2018 03:43 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
If the Swans were to sell Mawson, I don't see how they score another goal all season. Hell of a game today though! Big time trap game for L'pool after their City victory.
01-22-2018 03:46 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
Mane just brain farted...
01-22-2018 03:47 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(01-22-2018 03:46 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  If the Swans were to sell Mawson, I don't see how they score another goal all season. Hell of a game today though! Big time trap game for L'pool after their City victory.

I think that was Mawson's first PL goal this year. He scored a ton of goals last year, but has been pretty quiet this season until today. Ayew is the leading scorer by far.

Then again, they set up their XI today with the full intent to park 2 busses, a semi, and an airplane in front the Liverpool attack and see what happens. That's a lineup they are only going to run out there against a Top 6 side. Probably the correct strategy given the Liverpool defense is usually leaky enough to give up a goal.
01-22-2018 10:15 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(01-22-2018 03:41 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  L'pool should spend some $$$ and get a center back or two....Oh wait...

Swansea up

Set piece defending has little to do with talent and everything to do with everyone knowing their job and fighting for every inch in the box.

Van Dijk doesnt fix that.
01-23-2018 09:34 AM
chiefsfan Offline

FA Cup This week:

Man United wins 4-0 at Yeovil Town
Leicester wins 5-1 away at Peterborough.
Huddersfield headed to a replay after a 1-1 home draw with Birmingham City
Brighton wins 1-0 late at Middlesborough.
Southampton eliminates Watford 1-0
Swansea's B team forced to a replay after a 1-1 result at Notts County
Spurs needed a miracle from Harry Kane to force a replay after a 1-1 result at Newport County
Liverpool loses again. 3-2 to West Brom
West Ham only PL side to lose to Lower tier opposition...for now, dropping 2-0 at Wigan Athletic

Tomorrow:

Chelsea vs Newcastle
Cardiff City vs Manchester City

Known Replay's next week:
Birmingham City vs Huddersfield Town
Swansea City vs Notts County
Tottenham Hotspur vs Newport County
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018 10:37 PM by chiefsfan.)
01-27-2018 10:34 PM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
My club Wigan is crushing it. If we keep our current core together we're going to pull a Sheffield Utd next season.
01-27-2018 11:31 PM
chiefsfan Offline

Only thing I have gotten out of this US Match vs Bosnia is that our C team is not very good.

It's just hard to watch a roster when the most exciting player on the field is Jordan Morris.
01-28-2018 10:41 PM
chiefsfan Offline

Full Time: 0-0

Why the hell did I waste 2 hours of my life watching that crap? And good god, can someone please, STOP calling up Gyasi Zardes? He's terrible.
01-29-2018 12:15 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
I thought Will Trapp was pretty good.
01-29-2018 09:09 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(01-29-2018 09:09 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I thought Will Trapp was pretty good.

He was, but USSF had billed this time as we wait out the interval between now and the next round of World Cup Qualifying as an opportunity to give younger players experience. The average age of the lineup yesterday was 26 years old. It wasn't a look at the "future" more just a look at the large amounts of below average players that we have available to us within the MLS system.

Gyasi Zardes is not part of any "Future"
01-29-2018 01:33 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-29-2018 01:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

He was, but USSF had billed this time as we wait out the interval between now and the next round of World Cup Qualifying as an opportunity to give younger players experience. The average age of the lineup yesterday was 26 years old. It wasn't a look at the "future" more just a look at the large amounts of below average players that we have available to us within the MLS system.

I don't know...have you seen Escape from New York?
01-29-2018 02:07 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(01-29-2018 02:07 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(01-29-2018 01:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I don't know...have you seen Escape from New York?

Demolition Man. Zardes is Simon Phoenix.

[Image: 4740132-4675839426-photo.jpg]
01-29-2018 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.