Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No soccer for you
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
No soccer for you
Well, that's no MLS for Saint Louis. The very wealthy prospective owners of an MLS team and the MLS were demanding corporate welfare from the city of Saint Louis. Funding for the stadium depended on the approval of two propositions on yesterday's ballot in the city elections.

The first proposition which was for funding the expansion of the Metrolink light rail system was easily passed. The second proposition which would have authorized diverting some of the Metrolink funds to the stadium failed.

The prospective owners and the MLS claim there is no plan b. The owners are rich enough they don't need the corporate welfare, but not getting any sets a bad precedent.
04-05-2017 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: No soccer for you
San Diego probably isn't getting MLS, either, because the ballot proposition to clear the way for an MLS stadium will probably fail there as well. SDSU no longer wants to share a stadium with an MLS team, and SDSU now wants the city to give them most of the Qualcomm Stadium land instead of selling it to the would-be MLS team owners or another developer.

Sacramento looks like the clear favorite for an MLS expansion team, but I have no idea which city has the edge for the second spot in the next round of expansion.
04-05-2017 12:34 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(04-05-2017 12:34 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Sacramento looks like the clear favorite for an MLS expansion team...

Sure - they've got a strong history of soaking their citizens for venue construction.
04-05-2017 01:07 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(04-05-2017 12:34 PM)Wedge Wrote:  San Diego probably isn't getting MLS, either, because the ballot proposition to clear the way for an MLS stadium will probably fail there as well. SDSU no longer wants to share a stadium with an MLS team, and SDSU now wants the city to give them most of the Qualcomm Stadium land instead of selling it to the would-be MLS team owners or another developer.

Sacramento looks like the clear favorite for an MLS expansion team, but I have no idea which city has the edge for the second spot in the next round of expansion.

Tampa, Cincy, one of those two most likely. The San Diego situation won't fail because of public dollars since the prospective owners are willing to privately fund the building of the stadium, it's going to fail because of people who believe they land could be sold to a private company and provide more money to the city in the long run. Soccer fans need to understand that if you want to build a soccer culture in the states that you need to start at the lower levels where there are teams that would love to have your support (Albion SC being one in SD).
04-06-2017 08:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.