Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Ten years later
Bookmark and Share
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Ten years later
Jim burr, the cigarette smoking man of the NCAA.
03-18-2017 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(03-18-2017 12:54 PM)holyterror Wrote:  Tell me, where is sanity?

Yeah, I'd love to change the world.
03-18-2017 04:22 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-18-2017 02:11 PM)bariggins98 Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 11:45 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 11:39 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Next season will be ten years since that fateful game in the finals.

Think it is past time to expose the truth of what went on in that game.

That there was an ineligible player playing in the game but NOT the one that everyone thinks of.

The wrong school was punished by the NCAA and had penalties leveled against it.

Players on both teams were rumored to have grades changed.

One player never had any act of wrong doing proven by the school system.

The other not only had it proven his grades were changed but his high school had to forfeit all the games he played in.

However the one who was cleared was punished by the NCAA while the one who had his ineligibility proven, was given a pass.

Yet to this day the team who did not actually have an ineligible player has been painted as a cheater [program and all records of that season erased. While the team which actually did have an ineligible player got away scott free.

Time to clear the air and get the truth out there.

Yep! To this day, I believe that Kansas would have been punished instead of us if we would have won. NCAA didnt punish KU cuz they didnt want a vacated championship. Darrell Arthur was more ineligible than Derrick Rose. (Btw, I never heard about any grade changes for Tiger players.)

Ever heard of Robert Dozier and his "miraculous" SAT scores? Ever heard of Laurinburg Prep? Academics of players during Cal's tenure could be described as sketchy at best.

Dozier was not a Tiger recruit at the time of his improvement. He had actually signed with Georgia at the time. So that has nothing to do with us.
03-18-2017 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(03-18-2017 01:34 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  One university's attorney admitted to the NCAA that the school used an ineligible player.

What were they supposed to say. The ETS had already invalidated the test after the fact and the NCAA had retroactively declared him ineligible.

The only argument that could have been made is that the violations was out of the control of the school and school acted in good faith. Same argument that KU made..
03-18-2017 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(03-18-2017 03:34 PM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  We got jobbed by the ncaa. The coach and agent who brought derrick rose here was cleared to be the coach at kentucky by the same ncaa. Despite several other incidents around kentucky players like john wall and eric bledsoe, the ncaa did nothing. It was ok if it was a ncaa bball fav, but it was not ok at memphis. There were large holes in this case and not enough evidence presented to put us on probation, imo, but we got it anyways. The ncaa is as corrupt as it can be. I have no respect for them.

It's because of these incidents, officiating, the overall lack of skills by players, double standards, championships for big league schools only and mainly the decision not to give penn state the death penalty, i no longer watch college athletics. I don't miss it at all, and it frees up a lot of extra time to do other things more useful in life. If the tigers are in it, i watch. Otherwise, i could care less.

NCAA's own report said there was insignificant evidence to prove that the player did not take his own test.

Chicken and egg situation. If the NCAA did not go to the ETS and ask about the test. The ETS would have never opened an investigation of the test.

ETS never proved any wrong doing. Only that Rose did not respond to three letters they sent to his former address in Chicago.

And the investigation by the NCAA could not find proof of wrong doing with test.

So the actions of the NCAA actually created a violation where none existed.
03-18-2017 04:43 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(03-18-2017 04:22 PM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

good luck
03-18-2017 05:15 PM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

No one talked about the switcharoo on types of entrance tests and where he took it and where and who he was seen with right after taking that test. It's real easy to find info online, and there were pictures. The guy who supposedly took his test. Do you know what happened to him? I don't think he can be viewed as credible. There were other things to bring into question, but the u of m attorney sucked azz apparently, so game over.

We got jobbed.

I'll admit maybe we weren't totally clean, but for example, the flights by derrick's brother wasn't that big of a deal if it's a school that is a ncaa fav. I know of many instances where athletes of big conference schools or their family got extra benefits. It they get caught, they always say publicly it was paid back and give the player a slap on the wrist. That player may miss one game vs some nobody at the beginning on the season.

I just refuse to watch the ncaa anymore, and i was a long time hardcore fan.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 06:04 PM by tmoneyinmphs.)
03-18-2017 05:57 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(03-18-2017 05:57 PM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  No one talked about the switcharoo on types of entrance tests and where he took it and where and who he was seen with right after taking that test. It's real easy to find info online, and there were pictures. The guy who supposedly took his test. Do you know what happened to him? I don't think he can be viewed as credible. There were other things to bring into question, but the u of m attorney sucked azz apparently, so game over.

We got jobbed.

I'll admit maybe we weren't totally clean, but for example, the flights by derrick's brother wasn't that big of a deal if it's a school that is a ncaa fav. I know of many instances where athletes of big conference schools or their family got extra benefits. It they get caught, they always say publicly it was paid back and give the player a slap on the wrist. That player may miss one game vs some nobody at the beginning on the season.

I just refuse to watch the ncaa anymore, and i was a long time hardcore fan.

[Image: 2rf9ggm.jpg]
03-18-2017 06:12 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2017 11:09 AM)tcountytigerfan Wrote:  Guys, seriously. Our program was plenty dirty under Cal. When you get pulled over for speeding, there's no point in arguing that "everyone else was speeding too". Doesn't make us any less guilty. I hate it, but again, we were guilty. Leave it in the past.

We were not dirty. What allegation was ever proven against us? What kind of a fan are you to just acquiesce to the allegation. Our players graduated except th ones that went pro early or transferred like everybody else. We had some off the court issues which does not make us a dirty program
03-18-2017 06:16 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2017 02:11 PM)bariggins98 Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 11:45 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 11:39 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Next season will be ten years since that fateful game in the finals.

Think it is past time to expose the truth of what went on in that game.

That there was an ineligible player playing in the game but NOT the one that everyone thinks of.

The wrong school was punished by the NCAA and had penalties leveled against it.

Players on both teams were rumored to have grades changed.

One player never had any act of wrong doing proven by the school system.

The other not only had it proven his grades were changed but his high school had to forfeit all the games he played in.

However the one who was cleared was punished by the NCAA while the one who had his ineligibility proven, was given a pass.

Yet to this day the team who did not actually have an ineligible player has been painted as a cheater [program and all records of that season erased. While the team which actually did have an ineligible player got away scott free.

Time to clear the air and get the truth out there.

Yep! To this day, I believe that Kansas would have been punished instead of us if we would have won. NCAA didnt punish KU cuz they didnt want a vacated championship. Darrell Arthur was more ineligible than Derrick Rose. (Btw, I never heard about any grade changes for Tiger players.)

Ever heard of Robert Dozier and his "miraculous" SAT scores? Ever heard of Laurinburg Prep? Academics of players during Cal's tenure could be described as sketchy at best.

No. I didn't. Show me some sort of factual evidence. Rumor and innuendo against a school you're a fan of?
03-18-2017 06:18 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(03-18-2017 04:36 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(03-18-2017 01:34 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  One university's attorney admitted to the NCAA that the school used an ineligible player.

What were they supposed to say. The ETS had already invalidated the test after the fact and the NCAA had retroactively declared him ineligible.

The only argument that could have been made is that the violations was out of the control of the school and school acted in good faith. Same argument that KU made..

How about, "The NCAA clearinghouse determined he was eligible."

You didn't even have to pay me for that.
03-18-2017 06:34 PM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

They cleared him twice.
03-18-2017 06:47 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I would pay someone to go back in time and change it.
03-18-2017 07:24 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(03-18-2017 05:15 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

good luck

Thanks. Maybe ten years after.
03-18-2017 07:25 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(03-18-2017 07:25 PM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  
(03-18-2017 05:15 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

good luck

Thanks. Maybe ten years after.

I'll leave it up to you.
03-18-2017 07:27 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(03-18-2017 06:34 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  

Irrelevant. As soon as the testing center invalidated the test all other arguments were null and void.

Everything that happened before that means nothing. The invalidation of the test made it a moot point to try and argue.

Rose could easily win a case against testing center but chose to not do it. He was finished and it no longer effected him.
03-18-2017 08:11 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(03-18-2017 08:11 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

Irrelevant. As soon as the testing center invalidated the test all other arguments were null and void.

Everything that happened before that means nothing. The invalidation of the test made it a moot point to try and argue.

Rose could easily win a case against testing center but chose to not do it. He was finished and it no longer effected him.

Our lawyer agreed with you completely. You could have argued our case just as well as she did and saved us 50 grand.
03-18-2017 08:15 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(03-18-2017 08:15 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  

Our lawyer agreed with you completely. You could have argued our case just as well as she did and saved us 50 grand.

It did cause the NCAA to have to create a new charge which had never been used before and never used since in order punish the Tigers. A ruling which could and should have been used against KU. Strict Liability.

The only actual rules broken was that we did not charge Rose's brother credit card for trips and he was allowed to stay in same hotel room as Rose.

And there were several boosters whose credit cards were not charged for trips due to bad bookkeeping.
03-18-2017 08:28 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(03-18-2017 08:28 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(03-18-2017 08:15 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  
(03-18-2017 04:36 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  What were they supposed to say. The ETS had already invalidated the test after the fact and the NCAA had retroactively declared him ineligible.

It did cause the NCAA to have to create a new charge which had never been used before and never used since in order punish the Tigers. A ruling which could and should have been used against KU. Strict Liability.

The only actual rules broken was that we did not charge Rose's brother credit card for trips and he was allowed to stay in same hotel room as Rose.

And there were several boosters whose credit cards were not charged for trips due to bad bookkeeping.

The unnecessary admission that Rose was ineligible made the strict liability charge stick like a tic. It was a silly, diarrhea of the mouth moment that sank the university's whole effort, and was one of the worst legal representations ever offered in defense of a Division 1 program.
03-18-2017 08:35 PM
FunkaliciousTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers!
[Image: 266661_3535783_ver1.0_640_480.jpg]
03-18-2017 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.