Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Siddle Interim Head Coach
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: Siddle Interim Head Coach
(03-23-2017 06:50 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 06:01 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Without looking it up, anyone know how old Pitino was when he took his first head coaching job at Boston University and then took them to their first NCAA appearance in 24 years?

He was 25 and was there for 4-5 years before going to the Knicks.

Yep. 25. After only 2 years as an assistant with the Knicks, he went to Providence and had them in the Final Four within 3 years.
03-23-2017 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bricksnivy Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
(03-23-2017 07:16 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 06:01 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Without looking it up, anyone know how old Pitino was when he took his first head coaching job at Boston University and then took them to their first NCAA appearance in 24 years?

Yep. 25. After only 2 years as an assistant with the Knicks, he went to Providence and had them in the Final Four within 3 years.

I'm sold. How can we make Pitino to UNCW happen?
03-23-2017 07:31 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2017 07:31 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 07:16 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

I'm sold. How can we make Pitino to UNCW happen?

We go after a young coach in the Pitino coaching tree....One who knows the power of a undermanned team using the press to win. One who has spent 3 years watching and learning from a Pitino protege'. We keep doing what we've been doing very successfully the past 3 years, and realize age is irrelevant.
03-23-2017 07:35 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
These days Pitino has the strip club in house. Great coach,not great character-buyer beware.
03-23-2017 07:48 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

I still don't think that is the best option, but will support Bass if that is the route he chooses.
03-23-2017 07:49 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(03-23-2017 07:48 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  These days Pitino has the strip club in house. Great coach,not great character-buyer beware.

Sorry Mullet. I removed my comment, so this might not make sense to others without that context.
03-23-2017 07:50 AM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

The issue I see is that Keatts has built this program up so high, that any coach stepping in would likely have a problem staying at the current level. I think that at the level it is today, we need someone with HC experience. Siddle is probably a great guy and coach, but making him HC seems to be a few years premature at this point.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 08:34 AM by surfsalot.)
03-23-2017 08:33 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2017 08:33 AM)surfsalot Wrote:  The issue I see is that Keatts has built this program up so high, that any coach stepping in would likely have a problem staying at the current level. I think that at the level it is today, we need someone with HC experience. Siddle is probably a great guy and coach, but making him HC seems to be a few years premature at this point.

I agree and i think that's fair.
03-23-2017 08:37 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

The issue is keeping our players and recruits. They were sold on a particular system. If we bring a different system in, how will that affect our stable. If we can move on with whatever system without being depleted of quality players like when Brownell left I'm all for it.
03-23-2017 10:06 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2017 10:06 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  The issue is keeping our players and recruits. They were sold on a particular system. If we bring a different system in, how will that affect our stable. If we can move on with whatever system without being depleted of quality players like when Brownell left I'm all for it.

Agree. And if it's someone else, his #1 priority needs to be to keep Siddle on his staff.
03-23-2017 10:16 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2017 10:16 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 10:06 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  The issue is keeping our players and recruits. They were sold on a particular system. If we bring a different system in, how will that affect our stable. If we can move on with whatever system without being depleted of quality players like when Brownell left I'm all for it.

Agree. And if it's someone else, his #1 priority needs to be to keep Siddle on his staff.

If we don't make Siddle head coach...he gone.
03-23-2017 11:43 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

Lot's of absolute statements from 82.
03-23-2017 11:46 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2017 08:33 AM)surfsalot Wrote:  The issue I see is that Keatts has built this program up so high, that any coach stepping in would likely have a problem staying at the current level. I think that at the level it is today, we need someone with HC experience. Siddle is probably a great guy and coach, but making him HC seems to be a few years premature at this point.

That actually is a benefit of keeping Siddle. Trying to follow in the footsteps of Keatts is going to be difficult, and winning like he did damned near impossible. No matter who we bring in, it's a crap shoot. But to bring in a top assistant or even a proven HC from a lower conference(aka Christian), we're going to have to pay in the 300k -400k range guaranteed plus incentives. And they're going to want at least a 4 year contract. And if we don't bring in a hands down, no change in style coach, odds are we lose some recruits and players.

Siddle represents the status quo, and probably our best chance to keep our current players and recruits on track. We would keep the whole staff that knows how to prepare, practice and play our current style, including fitness level. If we can keep our roster intact and play our current style, we should be good for at least two years. Then, we'd have recruits from Siddle and the new staff, and a real chance to see where they can take us on their own. But, don't forget, our whole staff is connected to Hargrave, Pitino and Keatts. I'm sure they would want them to succeed, and would tip us off on recruits below their recruiting level. Plus, we could sign Siddle to a much lower guarantee and for a shorter contract. He and the staff are a known product, and what we see on the floor wouldn't look much different than we've seen the past 3 years. Since the risk is so high following Keatts, I like the reduction of risk and trying to keep what we have intact as best as possible.
03-23-2017 11:54 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2017 11:46 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Lot's of absolute statements from 82.

I hear things....
03-23-2017 11:55 AM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

(03-23-2017 11:54 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

That actually is a benefit of keeping Siddle. Trying to follow in the footsteps of Keatts is going to be difficult, and winning like he did damned near impossible. No matter who we bring in, it's a crap shoot. But to bring in a top assistant or even a proven HC from a lower conference(aka Christian), we're going to have to pay in the 300k -400k range guaranteed plus incentives. And they're going to want at least a 4 year contract. And if we don't bring in a hands down, no change in style coach, odds are we lose some recruits and players.

Siddle represents the status quo, and probably our best chance to keep our current players and recruits on track. We would keep the whole staff that knows how to prepare, practice and play our current style, including fitness level. If we can keep our roster intact and play our current style, we should be good for at least two years. Then, we'd have recruits from Siddle and the new staff, and a real chance to see where they can take us on their own. But, don't forget, our whole staff is connected to Hargrave, Pitino and Keatts. I'm sure they would want them to succeed, and would tip us off on recruits below their recruiting level. Plus, we could sign Siddle to a much lower guarantee and for a shorter contract. He and the staff are a known product, and what we see on the floor wouldn't look much different than we've seen the past 3 years. Since the risk is so high following Keatts, I like the reduction of risk and trying to keep what we have intact as best as possible.

I see no guarantee Siddle would do things the same. Maybe he changes things up maybe he doesn't. It's a crap shoot. I doubt the entire staff stays either way. If I am Keatts I am going to bring as many as I can because I know they know how I do things.
03-23-2017 12:04 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2017 11:43 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 10:16 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

If we don't make Siddle head coach...he gone.
Money talks.
03-23-2017 12:14 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
I could not imagine a new coach coming in and being told he has to keep a assistant on his staff. Not really showing 100% confidence in the new man. Always have someone looking over your shoulder is a tough way to work in a cut throat business like college basketball.
03-23-2017 12:22 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(03-23-2017 12:04 PM)surfsalot Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 11:54 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

I see no guarantee Siddle would do things the same. Maybe he changes things up maybe he doesn't. It's a crap shoot. I doubt the entire staff stays either way. If I am Keatts I am going to bring as many as I can because I know they know how I do things.

I find the argument underwhelming as well. Siddle isn't a known product. He's never been a HC. Even though I want to keep them all, fear of losing recruits or currents players doesn't play into my decision either. You can't make a decision of this magnitude out of fear; that's incredibly short-sighted. In addition, you don't have to look very hard to see that Keatts was the primary recruiter on the staff. Hughes said when he de-committed that he liked UNCW and Wilmington, but he committed to Keatts and Keatts was his primary recruiter.

This decision shouldn't be about "reduction of risk". It has to be about maximizing the success Keatts initiated. I don't want to think small. Let's be bold and make the best hire possible.
03-23-2017 12:22 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I want the best hire with the least casualties. I remember vividly when Brownell left and the casualties we suffered and how long it took us to recover. I just want to keep the train rolling.
03-23-2017 12:28 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2017 12:28 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  I want the best hire with the least casualties. I remember vividly when Brownell left and the casualties we suffered and how long it took us to recover. I just want to keep the train rolling.

I don't think the new guy needs to be told to keep Siddle on staff, but i'm sure ANY coach would look at what's here, and see that it would be a good idea to try to retain him. I don't buy the argument Mullet is making.
03-23-2017 12:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.