EagleTough Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Unofficial 2017 Spring Ball Thread
(03-26-2017 12:08 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-26-2017 10:33 AM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(03-25-2017 08:50 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-25-2017 02:44 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(03-25-2017 11:58 AM)Huron Boy Wrote:  Inquiring minds want to know - if this unit can come close to last year I feel very good about our team

Armstrong at LT, Nielson at RT. Nowhere near last year's starters at this point. New position for both so still a lot of time to get reps and work on technique. The Juco is not a starter, looks like a whiff at this point. Again, we'll see if a lot more reps helps. Backup at best at this point.

Thanks for the info. Who's at guard, opposite Leatiota, with Armstrong moving outside?

That's a bit of good news.......apparently Donnellon has stepped up, put on good weight, and leapfrogged the rest of the older guys that just can't seem to compete at this level.

Tallman working at center right now. He's always been a big, tough guy, just didn't quite have the feet for outside. Moved him inside to center and he may have found a spot for the next 2 years.

Basically we have an entire roster of interior linemen. Hopefully this new Oline coach finally rings the alarm bells and they have success this year landing a number of quality high school and juco OT's.

Think about it, the only real, quality OT EMU has had on the roster in years has been Wiley. They had to convert a TE to fill the other spot the last 2 years. Somebody needs to get that figured out ASAP. Wins begin in the trenches, right.
No doubt about it, ETough; typically the team that controls the line of scrimmage, wins the game. Interesting that with the previous regime, our weakness was DL and strength OL. Now it appears the tables have turned. I wonder if Sady Sow could add depth to OL. Going into fall cap, it appears our glaring weaknesses are OTs and TEs.

Sidy Sow is an absolute wildcard. Big kid with some athleticism, hopefully he turns out just like Nielsen. Out of nowhere...... to be an immediate contributor.

Offensive tackle is one of the most difficult positions in college football. Not easy to find a kid with the combination of size and athleticism to compete at this level. Usually you have to find a 6'5 - 6'6 kid with enough athleticsm and quick enough feet.......and then add 30-40 pounds on him over a year or two as his body matures. I think Donnellon will end up being the perfect example. Great to see him ready to compete for a starting spot in his redshirt freshman year. Would be even better at OT, but nonetheless.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2017 05:01 PM by EagleTough.)
03-26-2017 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KPJ Online
1st String

What about the OL from Paw Paw, MI. I forget his name, but I remember him because I graduated from Paw Paw after we moved to Michigan.
03-26-2017 10:38 PM
KPJ Online
1st String

VanHoeven
03-26-2017 10:41 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(03-26-2017 10:41 PM)KPJ Wrote:  VanHoeven

Still working, not in the 2 deep yet, I don't believe. So much bigger, faster, stronger at this level, it's a shock to some of these guys. Especially those that come from lower level competition. The workouts are a shock to most of their systems as well when they arrive on campus for the first time.

With the talent, size, and depth of our DLine, these OLinemen are getting tested every day in practice. Hopefully that lights a fire under them, and expedites their development. As I've mentioned before, once they can hold their own against our guys, we should be fine in MAC play. Still an uneven competition at this point from what I hear.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2017 09:13 AM by EagleTough.)
03-27-2017 08:58 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

03-28-2017 05:19 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Very interesting. Three games (CHAR, KY and TOL) are not expected to be close. The rest could go either way....

Interesting they have EMU at 5.3 wins. I posted after the schedule was known 5 wins because of a tougher schedule than 2016.

Tossing out MVSU, EMU was a 6 - 6 team against FBS competition last year.

Nice write up and then were 'right on' saying EMU needs to replace 3.5 starting OLs. As E'Tough has been saying to the effect, "Tell me if the OL jells and I'll tell you if we have a successful season."

The defense has gotten significantly better but the OL has to be able to carry its weight.

And I agree again with E'Tough if the OL doesn't jell quickly, the new OC, Keen, will need to make a lot of changes to the offense, including more short passes, etc. Anything which doesn't require as much OL blocking but more from the playmakers with the ball.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 06:19 AM by emu steve.)
03-28-2017 06:14 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-28-2017 05:19 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...ule-roster

Great read. It's nice to read a preview by someone who actually did his homework.

Only issue I would kind of have is that he really underscored how good Sergio Bailey was last year. In the 9 games where Roback played more than just one drive, Bailey had 43 catches for 765 yards and 6 TDs. Compare that to just 17 catches for 169 yards and 1 TD in the first four games where Todd Porter started.

With Roback, Bailey only had one game where he didn't have either 80 yards receiving or a TD (the Miami game, where Roback spent a large amount of time on his back). That's a pretty impressive rapport for two guys who only had one offseason of work together.

This is also without mentioning the massive catches Bailey had against BG, Ohio, and CMU. All three SHOULD have been picked, and all three were game-winning scores. I've never seen anything like that before.

Bailey is a stud, and I think that, with a full year playing with Roback, he will be a first team All-MAC player. Call it a "bold" prediction.
03-28-2017 10:11 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I will not be making it to the spring game lots to do that weekend and last year I wore myself down doing too much in too short of time. But I will say that last year the placekicking was horrible and our senior offensive line didn't impress me against the new defensive scheme. Porter looked better that day than Roback. Then came the fall practice and the regular season. Placekicking offensive line were solid and both Porter and Roback did well with a whole new set of JUCO wrs.

My point is alot can change between spring and the fall practices. Hopefully the offensive line jells and gets better working as a unit. We already have one newcomer after signing day on the OL. Depending on Kibly's status we may sign another TE.
03-28-2017 10:59 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

You are not kidding about "did his homework." Good golly. That was an excellent piece.

I'm so jacked right now, season can't get here soon enough. Although, I do want to enjoy my summer.
03-28-2017 11:07 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(03-28-2017 10:11 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Bailey is a stud, and I think that, with a full year playing with Roback, he will be a first team All-MAC player. Call it a "bold" prediction.

I second your position on Bailey. I wouldn't even call it a bold prediction. The guy has amazing hands.

If Aristilde gets healthy, I think they could be the top 1-2 WR combo in the league. Now there's a bold prediction.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 11:13 AM by FrankAnderson.)
03-28-2017 11:13 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-28-2017 10:59 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I will not be making it to the spring game lots to do that weekend and last year I wore myself down doing too much in too short of time. But I will say that last year the placekicking was horrible and our senior offensive line didn't impress me against the new defensive scheme. Porter looked better that day than Roback. Then came the fall practice and the regular season. Placekicking offensive line were solid and both Porter and Roback did well with a whole new set of JUCO wrs.

My point is alot can change between spring and the fall practices. Hopefully the offensive line jells and gets better working as a unit. We already have one newcomer after signing day on the OL. Depending on Kibly's status we may sign another TE.

Well said EMU 79.......A lot of good things can happen between now and the first game. Our defense on paper may be the best I've seen at EMU. If the entire spring roster is makes it to fall camp and if we need a couple more OTs, then I trust the spring game evaluation will enable our coaching staff to seek out a couple more players to fill the roster and deliver an outstanding 2017 season.

I wonder if an all conference OT is more difficult to recruit than an all conference WR?

Should be interesting to see everything unfold.....
03-28-2017 11:16 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-28-2017 11:16 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 10:59 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I will not be making it to the spring game lots to do that weekend and last year I wore myself down doing too much in too short of time. But I will say that last year the placekicking was horrible and our senior offensive line didn't impress me against the new defensive scheme. Porter looked better that day than Roback. Then came the fall practice and the regular season. Placekicking offensive line were solid and both Porter and Roback did well with a whole new set of JUCO wrs.

Well said EMU 79.......A lot of good things can happen between now and the first game. Our defense on paper may be the best I've seen at EMU. If the entire spring roster is makes it to fall camp and if we need a couple more OTs, then I trust the spring game evaluation will enable our coaching staff to seek out a couple more players to fill the roster and deliver an outstanding 2017 season.

I wonder if an all conference OT is more difficult to recruit than an all conference WR?

Should be interesting to see everything unfold.....

Yes. OT and DT are very, very difficult to recruit. Heard that from folks who know more about college FB than me.
03-28-2017 11:24 AM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(03-28-2017 05:19 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...ule-roster

Really good analysis overall. Simply based on the super tough schedule, I'd say we have a 50/50 shot at a bowl game this season.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:51 PM by EagleTough.)
03-28-2017 12:44 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(03-28-2017 10:11 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Great read. It's nice to read a preview by someone who actually did his homework.

Only issue I would kind of have is that he really underscored how good Sergio Bailey was last year. In the 9 games where Roback played more than just one drive, Bailey had 43 catches for 765 yards and 6 TDs. Compare that to just 17 catches for 169 yards and 1 TD in the first four games where Todd Porter started.

With Roback, Bailey only had one game where he didn't have either 80 yards receiving or a TD (the Miami game, where Roback spent a large amount of time on his back). That's a pretty impressive rapport for two guys who only had one offseason of work together.

This is also without mentioning the massive catches Bailey had against BG, Ohio, and CMU. All three SHOULD have been picked, and all three were game-winning scores. I've never seen anything like that before.

Bailey is a stud, and I think that, with a full year playing with Roback, he will be a first team All-MAC player. Call it a "bold" prediction.

Great point Sam. While the Roback/Bailey connection bailed us out multiple times, I would agree it was as much luck, as it was skill. Those type plays have a way of reverting back to the mean, similar to defensive turnovers. Too many times last year Roback would lock into Bailey and just chuck a 50/50 ball. With Bailey, Dieuly, Porter, Niupalau, and 3 good receiving RB's, he has PLENTY of sure handed options to spread the ball around.

I'm confident that Roback and Keen will be able to work well together to take Roback's game to the next level. If Dieuly comes back healthy, and Roback takes an extra half second to process his read progressions, he could have a big year. (Assuming he's not on his back because of the OLine).
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 01:06 PM by EagleTough.)
03-28-2017 01:04 PM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

One thing to watch for in spring is the progress of the redshirt freshman. Is anyone hearing about any of the young guys that are performing well and could get a chance to play this fall?
03-28-2017 05:03 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-28-2017 05:03 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  One thing to watch for in spring is the progress of the redshirt freshman. Is anyone hearing about any of the young guys that are performing well and could get a chance to play this fall?

Do we have many? I thought most frosh played.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 05:20 PM by emu steve.)
03-28-2017 05:20 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(03-28-2017 05:03 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  One thing to watch for in spring is the progress of the redshirt freshman. Is anyone hearing about any of the young guys that are performing well and could get a chance to play this fall?

Donnellon on the OL, and Porter as DB
03-28-2017 05:31 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-28-2017 05:31 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  

Williams on DL???
03-28-2017 05:36 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(03-28-2017 05:36 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 05:31 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  

Williams on DL???

Still only 230, not even close.

Holford got some good reps last year and is now listed at 6'2, 260. The juco, Valasti is 6'5, 260 so I think he steps right in with Holford as the backups to Harris and Crosby.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 08:54 PM by EagleTough.)
03-28-2017 08:45 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Brogan getting some love on this site.
https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...kings-2017
Checks in at #46 on the list of top 130 starting QB's. Only MAC QB ahead of him is Whiteside at #19.

Also on the list of top 25 QB's on the rise in 2017: https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...-rise-2017

A solid year and he will definitely be getting looks from NFL scouts.
03-29-2017 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.