Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight
Bookmark and Share
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight
Just saw that Cincinnati is a long shot finalist to host some of the 2026 (2028?) World Cup soccer matches.

06-13-2018 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

Unlikely. Apparently a requirement is a 40k seat stadium. Unless they played at PBS, which would require modifications. More likely is that Cincinnati will host one of the teams and their training facility.

06-13-2018 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCBearcat4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
(06-13-2018 11:20 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  Unlikely. Apparently a requirement is a 40k seat stadium. Unless they played at PBS, which would require modifications. More likely is that Cincinnati will host one of the teams and their training facility.

games would be played at PBS with real grass laid on top of the turf, Nippert could be a training venue

http://wvxu.org/post/read-cincinnatis-pa...d#stream/0

06-13-2018 11:45 AM
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
(06-13-2018 11:20 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  Unlikely. Apparently a requirement is a 40k seat stadium. Unless they played at PBS, which would require modifications. More likely is that Cincinnati will host one of the teams and their training facility.

That is what local news is reporting. Paul Brown will be considered as a venue. The games are to be split between Mexico, U.S. and Canada with the U.S. to get about half the games. The report I saw said there were thirty-three sites in the U.S. being considered and (I think) twenty-six would be chosen.

06-13-2018 11:47 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

This article: https://sports.yahoo.com/u-s-canada-mexi...18462.html

says that 60 of the 80 matches will be in the USA (10 each in Mexico and Canada), and that Cincinnati is one of 17 cities under consideration to be one of the 10 American host cities. It also lists the favorites, and Cincinnati is not on that list.

06-13-2018 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoCats1994 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats
Given the title of this entire thread, I am reluctant to even post. Soccer is not the enemy. FC Cincinnati is not the enemy. US Soccer is not the enemy. Bearcat football is not harmed by futbol.

I had the opportunity to attend several of the World Cup matches in 1994 when they were in the US. Completely blew my mind. The pageantry...love for sport and country...excitement...level of play.

If, if, if, if...Cincinnati is chosen to host teams - even as a practice facility - I would highly encourage anyone/everyone within traveling distance to partake in the festivities. Perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity to see something you've never seen before.

06-13-2018 12:06 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(06-13-2018 11:57 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  This article: https://sports.yahoo.com/u-s-canada-mexi...18462.html

says that 60 of the 80 matches will be in the USA (10 each in Mexico and Canada), and that Cincinnati is one of 17 cities under consideration to be one of the 10 American host cities. It also lists the favorites, and Cincinnati is not on that list.

With the venue locations still under consideration, if they took Washington, Philly, and Boston along with NYC, with two sites in Texas and the Atlanta site already confirmed...they'd have no sites anywhere in the middle 30 states and none in the Great Lakes region, I doubt that would happen, so I'm thinking either Nashville or Cincinnati are selected as one of the sites just for map balancing and to not alienate an entire region. All that being said, I'm still shocked the Chicago pulled out of the running and Cleveland and Detroit were dropped so quickly.

06-13-2018 12:17 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-13-2018 12:06 PM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  Given the title of this entire thread, I am reluctant to even post. Soccer is not the enemy. FC Cincinnati is not the enemy. US Soccer is not the enemy. Bearcat football is not harmed by futbol.

I had the opportunity to attend several of the World Cup matches in 1994 when they were in the US. Completely blew my mind. The pageantry...love for sport and country...excitement...level of play.

If, if, if, if...Cincinnati is chosen to host teams - even as a practice facility - I would highly encourage anyone/everyone within traveling distance to partake in the festivities. Perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity to see something you've never seen before.

Some are traditionalists and did not want the look of Nippert changed. FCC has brought people onto campus and money into UC's coffers. Of course there is a debate on how much. If anything a UC soccer/FCC partnership will hopefully emerge. The team who should be worried is the Reds. Low attendance, even when they win, and now competing directly with FCC.

06-14-2018 11:51 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
(06-13-2018 11:45 AM)UCBearcat4ever Wrote:  

games would be played at PBS with real grass laid on top of the turf, Nippert could be a training venue

In return, Mike Brown will get a daily calzone, a slice of pizza, and on every third day a canole.

06-14-2018 11:53 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(06-14-2018 11:53 AM)dsquare Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 11:45 AM)UCBearcat4ever Wrote:  

In return, Mike Brown will get a daily calzone, a slice of pizza, and on every third day a canole.

If Mike Brown is alive in 2026, he won't be the person managing the Downtown Cincinnati Stadium.

06-14-2018 12:06 PM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(06-14-2018 11:51 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 12:06 PM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  Given the title of this entire thread, I am reluctant to even post. Soccer is not the enemy. FC Cincinnati is not the enemy. US Soccer is not the enemy. Bearcat football is not harmed by futbol.

Some are traditionalists and did not want the look of Nippert changed. FCC has brought people onto campus and money into UC's coffers. Of course there is a debate on how much. If anything a UC soccer/FCC partnership will hopefully emerge. The team who should be worried is the Reds. Low attendance, even when they win, and now competing directly with FCC.

This might make the Reds Owner actually do something beneficial for the team.....like establish a real farm system.

06-14-2018 05:59 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

With respect to paragraphs #2 and #3, while I am really not a soccer fan (I am trying), I did attend a World Cup match - Brazil vs. United States - on July 4, 1994 in Stanford Stadium. I concur that this is something everyone should do at least once. I was fortunate that I got to cross this off my bucket list before I even had a bucket list. I just happened to be visiting a friend nearby and we scalped some tickets. I don't care who is playing, if Cincinnati gets picked for some games, by all means GO.

If I may address paragraph #1, I don't think anyone believes soccer is an "enemy." But I'm not exactly sure if another attractive sports venue doesn't divert attention and dollars away from UC. As a UC fan, I want the feel-good news to be about the Bearcats. For the past couple years, it's been almost all FCC, even though the "feel-good" has been coming out of our football stadium. Quite frankly, I haven't been to Nippert since the notches were put in place, and the first time I see those notches will probably be for a soccer match, not football.

I'm not too sure the Crew has helped O$U soccer, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in Cincinnati. With that said, nowhere in any discussion or contract have I seen anything regarding partnership between FCC and UC soccer. That kind of surprises me, actually. I might have been friendlier about the Nippert lease had that been the case.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 04:06 PM by BearcatsUC.)
06-18-2018 03:53 PM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

(06-18-2018 03:53 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

With respect to paragraphs #2 and #3, while I am really not a soccer fan (I am trying), I did attend a World Cup match - Brazil vs. United States - on July 4, 1994 in Stanford Stadium. I concur that this is something everyone should do at least once. I was fortunate that I got to cross this off my bucket list before I even had a bucket list. I just happened to be visiting a friend nearby and we scalped some tickets. I don't care who is playing, if Cincinnati gets picked for some games, by all means GO.

If I may address paragraph #1, I don't think anyone believes soccer is an "enemy." But I'm not exactly sure if another attractive sports venue doesn't divert attention and dollars away from UC. As a UC fan, I want the feel-good news to be about the Bearcats. For the past couple years, it's been almost all FCC, even though the "feel-good" has been coming out of our football stadium. Quite frankly, I haven't been to Nippert since the notches were put in place, and the first time I see those notches will probably be for a soccer match, not football.

I'm not too sure the Crew has helped O$U soccer, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in Cincinnati. With that said, nowhere in any discussion or contract have I seen anything regarding partnership between FCC and UC soccer. That kind of surprises me, actually. I might have been friendlier about the Nippert lease had that been the case.

If you want to compete for those $$$, instead of hoping for all the other sports in the city to relocate or fold, you might want to push for a better product on the field and on the court, thus winning in the competition for spare $$$.

Winning cures all these woes. People want to watch a competitive team, regardless of the venue or the sport.

06-19-2018 07:32 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(06-19-2018 07:32 AM)Not Duane Wrote:  

If you want to compete for those $$$, instead of hoping for all the other sports in the city to relocate or fold, you might want to push for a better product on the field and on the court, thus winning in the competition for spare $$$.

Winning cures all these woes. People want to watch a competitive team, regardless of the venue or the sport.

It isn't that simple. Every college and pro team in a given region will always be competing for those people's attention and money.

06-19-2018 09:54 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Leaving town if those people (soccer hooligans) come to town.

06-19-2018 10:19 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-19-2018 07:32 AM)Not Duane Wrote:  [quote='BearcatsUC' pid='15348948' dateline='1529355229']
[quote='GoCats1994' pid='15342401' dateline='1528909573']

All UC fans want a great product on the field. Some push for it and get scolded for being unrealistic and out of touch. Unfortunately, this part of the discussion was generated by the local media. The Ken Broos and Lances of the world used to beat their drums that this town could not support a third option. This city can only support the Reds and Bungles. In some instances Lance tried to pit Reds only fans against Bungles fans. This is where you started seeing UC centric fans only supporting UC. I know some Reds/Bungles fans who only support their number 1 team of choice. FCC showed that this city can support more than one or two teams.

Frankly, winning will help UC. However, the admin could help their cause by trying harder to take corp dollars away from some of the other teams in town and better job of marketing. FCC has done an excellent job of marketing and creating a buzz/narrative.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2018 11:39 AM by bearcatmill.)
06-19-2018 11:38 AM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

(06-19-2018 09:54 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  

It isn't that simple. Every college and pro team in a given region will always be competing for those people's attention and money.

More people shell out $$ for a winning product than a piece of crap. There is AMPLE data to support this.

06-19-2018 12:02 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(06-19-2018 12:02 PM)Not Duane Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 09:54 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  

More people shell out $$ for a winning product than a piece of crap. There is AMPLE data to support this.

The problem with your line of thinking is that you assume that most people are hardcore sports fans that, if another team moves to their city, they would take more time and money away from non-sports interests to buy tickets, buy merchandise, and follow fan blogs. It simply isn't true. Most people are casual fans, and have a limited budget and attention span that they will allocate toward sports.

Let's consider a hypothetical John Casual. Mr. Casual enjoys local sports, but doesn't really follow the performance of the teams or players other than seeing an occasional blurb on social media. Mr. Casual goes to 20 Reds games per year, and spends $100 on merchandise.

Now, the Bengals move to town. Does Mr. Casual still go to 20 Reds games and spend $100 on Reds merchandise, as well as go to 3 Bengals games and spend $100 on Bengals merchandise? Probably not. His budget would probably look more like 15 Reds games, $50 on Reds merchandise, 2 Bengals games, and $50 on Bengals merchandise.

Alright, now FCC comes to town. Again, Mr. Casual is likely miss a few more Reds and Bengals games because he now wants to attend a few soccer matches and buy an FCC jersey (kit?). The math is arbitrary, but it can be assumed that he isn't going to triple his original Reds budget just to see the Bengals and FCC.

Now, where do the Bearcats come in? Well, Mr. Casual attended college in Indiana, but he still wants to see a UC game from time to time. If he still has a little more money he's willing to spend on sports, maybe he'll see a UC football or basketball game once every few years. That is the position we are in.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2018 01:37 PM by TubaCat.)
06-19-2018 01:35 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

"Now, where do the Bearcats come in? Well, Mr. Casual attended college in Indiana, but he still wants to see a UC game from time to time. If he still has a little more money he's willing to spend on sports, maybe he'll see a UC football or basketball game once every few years. That is the position we are in."

I think your argument is well stated. Cincinnati is a regional hub city for business and entertainment, though not as large as most others that fall into that category. I heard a statistic during the FCC announcement that Cincy is now one of only 19 American cities with three or more major league teams. Pretty elite company.

Combine that with three states converging inside our beltway and it's easy to understand that, unlike Lexington, KY which is all in for the Big Blue (No other D1 program; no major league competition) Cincinnati collegiate sports fans have loyalties to OSU, UK, IU, Purdue, U of L along with X and a host of MAC schools.

Still, the challenge for UC is to grow its own fanbase from a large undergraduate student population and the biggest alumni base inside I-275. That's happening over the past decade; maybe not as fast as we'd like. And the challenges are different for basketball and football attendance.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2018 02:28 PM by OKIcat.)
06-19-2018 02:26 PM
Bearcatdh58 Offline
Special Teams

Can someone tell me what the average attendance was last year for Bearcat Football, and what the peak average was.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using CSNbbs mobile app

06-19-2018 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.