Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is the South's equivalent to the Big East?
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: What is the South's equivalent to the Big East?
(02-09-2017 09:48 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 09:01 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 07:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 06:58 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 03:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Not really Frank. Three of the them are located in the Hills of the Northern part of the Old Confederacy. That makes them a unique subset of the rest of the South. Virginia is now Beltway. Kentucky has much more in common with Indiana than it does Alabama or Georgia, and their richer more cultured cousins over in North Carolina are another unique slither of culture. Georgia Tech basketball was great under Cremins but not so much since. Certainly they are better than a lot of SEC programs but they aren't really contending for ACC titles.

It's not that Southerners are just for football, but the culture here gives athletes who play football much more social credibility than those who play basketball, so football gets the studs. Baseball is the second sport. It doesn't interfere with football except for spring practice and in high school it doesn't overlap with basketball.

As for comparing the ACC to the Big 10 it works only in academics and some in breadth of sports. As for suggesting the ACC as being like the Big East, hells bells 1/4 of the ACC is the Old Big East.

I know baseball is huge in the south, but baketball is still the second sport after fb in the south for the most part. There are a couple of baseball hotbed schools like LSU who has led the nation in baseball attendance for a couple of decades now, where baseball is bigger and better attended than bb. Maybe a Mississippi State, but pretty much everywhere else in the south basketball is the second sport after fb. I believe there's a lot more money to be made from bb too. The SEC is pretty dogon impressive that they draw really well for baseball and basketball, not to mention fb.

Sorry, but I didn't clearly state what I was meaning to say. For those who choose football or basketball, baseball becomes the second sport of choice. But, baseball players get the second most social credibility. So, while basketball is definitely the second in earnings, basketball players don't get quite the cachet as baseball players in their home towns during their high school days. Now on the campuses there is probably little difference between the cachet of being a basketball or baseball player and both pale by comparison to the standing of football players.

The statement was made to reference why so many strong athletes choose football. It gains them the most notoriety. So basketball takes a back seat to what the public cherishes. And whether it is profitable or not, or the second money sport of our universities, basketball takes a back seat to the boys of Summer too!

I'll just have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Just doing a quick check, I believe that LSU and Miss St are the only two southern schools that have a higher average attendance for Baseball than for basketball.

Reread my post carefully. It has nothing to do with revenue and it has nothing to do with attendance. BTW since there are many more baseball games baseball does tend to out draw basketball. And furthermore my post was about which sports offer the kids the most notoriety, especially in high school since that is where they pick their respective sports. I stated flatly that there wasn't much difference in cachet for basketball and baseball in college. But by then Cuseroc the kids have already picked their sports. The best athletes tend to be able to play whatever it is they pick well enough. Most pick football, and more pick baseball than basketball in the South. More folks at the local barbershop talk about which kid hit the longest home run, or made the greatest catch than ever talk about a basketball game. If basketball gets a mention it is for a fight that broke out during the game whether that fight was on the court or in the stands. That's about it unless the local team makes the state finals. They talk baseball every weekend of the Spring. They talk football year round!

And BTW you may want to see which SEC schools draw the most in baseball. It's true that MSU & LSU do well, but Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia, and even Vanderbilt draw well. Baseball is a revenue sport in the SEC.

I appreciate your insight on the matter but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Im from the south and I have a second home in Florida. The circle that I run with in Florida, I can honestly say that I have never heard any friends or relatives or anyone talk about college baseball, ever. Lets just agree to disagree 04-cheers
02-09-2017 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-09-2017 10:22 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 09:48 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 09:01 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 07:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 06:58 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  I know baseball is huge in the south, but baketball is still the second sport after fb in the south for the most part. There are a couple of baseball hotbed schools like LSU who has led the nation in baseball attendance for a couple of decades now, where baseball is bigger and better attended than bb. Maybe a Mississippi State, but pretty much everywhere else in the south basketball is the second sport after fb. I believe there's a lot more money to be made from bb too. The SEC is pretty dogon impressive that they draw really well for baseball and basketball, not to mention fb.

Sorry, but I didn't clearly state what I was meaning to say. For those who choose football or basketball, baseball becomes the second sport of choice. But, baseball players get the second most social credibility. So, while basketball is definitely the second in earnings, basketball players don't get quite the cachet as baseball players in their home towns during their high school days. Now on the campuses there is probably little difference between the cachet of being a basketball or baseball player and both pale by comparison to the standing of football players.

The statement was made to reference why so many strong athletes choose football. It gains them the most notoriety. So basketball takes a back seat to what the public cherishes. And whether it is profitable or not, or the second money sport of our universities, basketball takes a back seat to the boys of Summer too!

I'll just have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Just doing a quick check, I believe that LSU and Miss St are the only two southern schools that have a higher average attendance for Baseball than for basketball.

Reread my post carefully. It has nothing to do with revenue and it has nothing to do with attendance. BTW since there are many more baseball games baseball does tend to out draw basketball. And furthermore my post was about which sports offer the kids the most notoriety, especially in high school since that is where they pick their respective sports. I stated flatly that there wasn't much difference in cachet for basketball and baseball in college. But by then Cuseroc the kids have already picked their sports. The best athletes tend to be able to play whatever it is they pick well enough. Most pick football, and more pick baseball than basketball in the South. More folks at the local barbershop talk about which kid hit the longest home run, or made the greatest catch than ever talk about a basketball game. If basketball gets a mention it is for a fight that broke out during the game whether that fight was on the court or in the stands. That's about it unless the local team makes the state finals. They talk baseball every weekend of the Spring. They talk football year round!

And BTW you may want to see which SEC schools draw the most in baseball. It's true that MSU & LSU do well, but Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia, and even Vanderbilt draw well. Baseball is a revenue sport in the SEC.

I appreciate your insight on the matter but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Im from the south and I have a second home in Florida. The circle that I run with in Florida, I can honestly say that I have never heard any friends or relatives or anyone talk about college baseball, ever. Lets just agree to disagree 04-cheers

If it is the middle of the state toward South Florida that is why. The panhandle over to Jacksonville is different. Mid to South Florida consists largely of transplanted Yankees! 04-cheers

I traveled 5 Southern States for 20 years plus. I was born here and am now retired here. I think I know my region. The rural South is hardly a basketball haven. You get more hoops in the cities, and I mean the large ones. And again you miss my point. I said in High School / not college / the kids favor baseball. It gives most of them more notoriety than basketball. But truly Mid Florida to South Florida is a different world from the rest of the Southeast except for hill country in most of Tennessee through Kentucky and North Carolina.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 11:08 PM by JRsec.)
02-09-2017 10:29 PM
p23570
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Not sure if it's the same in other places but in Norman the Baseball stadium seats 2,700 people and it's doubtful that many watch on TV. The Basketball arena holds 11,500 and there are some people who watch on TV.
02-09-2017 11:11 PM
Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-09-2017 03:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 11:22 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 09:52 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 08:59 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 08:20 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  BB in the South is just something to do to past the time when football season ends.

Really? I know that this is a football-biased board, but did everyone forget that the ACC exists?

I wouldn't say the ACC is equivalent to the Big East. If anything, the ACC is more like the Big Ten - only with more smaller, private schools.

Oh, I'd agree. I just disagree with the "SOUTH = FOOTBAWL" bias that we sometimes see here. If you look at the 6 bluest of the blue bloods in basketball (Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana and UCLA), 3 of them are located in the South. Plus, the ACC was built on basketball fandom.

Not really Frank. Three of the them are located in the Hills of the Northern part of the Old Confederacy. That makes them a unique subset of the rest of the South. Virginia is now Beltway. Kentucky has much more in common with Indiana than it does Alabama or Georgia, and their richer more cultured cousins over in North Carolina are another unique slither of culture. Georgia Tech basketball was great under Cremins but not so much since. Certainly they are better than a lot of SEC programs but they aren't really contending for ACC titles.

It's not that Southerners are just for football, but the culture here gives athletes who play football much more social credibility than those who play basketball, so football gets the studs. Baseball is the second sport. It doesn't interfere with football except for spring practice and in high school it doesn't overlap with basketball.

As for comparing the ACC to the Big 10 it works only in academics and some in breadth of sports. As for suggesting the ACC as being like the Big East, hells bells 7/15 of the ACC is the Old Big East.

FIFY
02-09-2017 11:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-09-2017 11:11 PM)p23570 Wrote:  Not sure if it's the same in other places but in Norman the Baseball stadium seats 2,700 people and it's doubtful that many watch on TV. The Basketball arena holds 11,500 and there are some people who watch on TV.

Again for those not reading the thread. The issue was about why basketball seemed to be deficient in the South. It starts (NOT AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL) in High School. Football is usually the sport chosen by the top athletes because it carries the most prestige. Baseball season doesn't interfere in High School with Football Season except for Spring Jamboree's. Baseball comes after Basketball in High School in the South. Baseball at the local level gets more acclaim in small towns and rural areas than does Basketball. Therefore more kids choose Baseball as their second sport. By the time they get to college there is no distinction between the two, but football still gets the cachet and by a very wide margin on most campuses.

It's not about attendance. It's not about revenue. It's about where the best athletes choose to invest their time and talent. It's different in the cities. In the cities more kids choose basketball over baseball, although football is still the clear #1 choice for High School athletes.

Here's a history and economics lesson for those of you too young to know, but Basketball supplanted football and baseball in the hills of Kentucky, North Carolina and much of Tennessee. Why? Bottom land came at a premium and 100 years ago the economy was rural. It took up less space to play basketball and it was easier to find a level place to play than it would have been if you tried to build a baseball diamond or a football field. And, as with soccer today for the poorer kids, and most of the hill kids were poor, it was easier to get a pair of sneakers and buy a ball than it was to equip a baseball or football team. The towns were also very small down in those valleys so it was much easier to field a basketball team. And more importantly basketball season didn't come in the Fall when all hands were needed for the harvest or in the Spring when they were needed for planting. Basketball was played while things were fallow.

In the rest of the South football and baseball were more popular at the local level during the High School years. Baseball has faded some but not as much in the rural areas. Basketball has grown in the cities.

Florida is different. It's culture from mid state - South is more Northern and most of it located there since the 1960's. It is what it is. It's not unusual for more than a few SEC baseball teams to draw crowds in excess of 10,000 and some even larger than that.

My initial assertion had nothing to do with college crowds or with revenue. But the SEC has really strong baseball attendance and is a revenue producer for most schools. But by the time they get to college the reason SEC basketball suffers is because most of the kids in our region (especially outside of the cities) who have athletic ability have already chosen their sports. Basketball simply isn't the priority for most that it might be in Kentucky or North Carolina, or in parts of mid to South Florida, or in large cities like Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, New Orleans, etc. And many of those kids may wind up signing grants to play at North Carolina or in the Big 10. Again they do this because they just don't get a royal appreciation at local universities where the football players are Kings. It's not right, but it is what it is.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 11:54 PM by JRsec.)
02-09-2017 11:48 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-09-2017 11:35 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 03:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 11:22 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 09:52 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 08:59 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Really? I know that this is a football-biased board, but did everyone forget that the ACC exists?

I wouldn't say the ACC is equivalent to the Big East. If anything, the ACC is more like the Big Ten - only with more smaller, private schools.

Oh, I'd agree. I just disagree with the "SOUTH = FOOTBAWL" bias that we sometimes see here. If you look at the 6 bluest of the blue bloods in basketball (Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana and UCLA), 3 of them are located in the South. Plus, the ACC was built on basketball fandom.

Not really Frank. Three of the them are located in the Hills of the Northern part of the Old Confederacy. That makes them a unique subset of the rest of the South. Virginia is now Beltway. Kentucky has much more in common with Indiana than it does Alabama or Georgia, and their richer more cultured cousins over in North Carolina are another unique slither of culture. Georgia Tech basketball was great under Cremins but not so much since. Certainly they are better than a lot of SEC programs but they aren't really contending for ACC titles.

As for comparing the ACC to the Big 10 it works only in academics and some in breadth of sports. As for suggesting the ACC as being like the Big East, hells bells 7/15 of the ACC is the Old Big East.

FIFY

True! I always forget about your Hokies, Miami, and Louisville who was a refill for Big East departures.
02-09-2017 11:57 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Virginia Tech (1898), Miami (1929-41), and Louisville (1914-41) are all former SIAA (predecessor to the SEC and ACC) schools as well, much before they were in the Big East for football purposes.

VaTech spent many years in the SoCon as well.
02-10-2017 09:40 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I think that we're mistaking particularly high interest in a sport relative to the rest of the country (e.g. baseball in the SEC or hockey in the Big Ten) as actually being outright more popular than basketball. When LSU sells a ton of baseball tickets or Michigan sells a ton of hockey tickets and their fan bases are particularly intense, I think that we can fall into the trap into perceiving that those sports are actually more popular than basketball at those campuses. They're not - believe me, if you're a FBS basketball player at a P5 school (even a bad basketball program), you're a BMOC. It's like comparing a band with a small very intense hard core fan base versus a band with a lot more casual fans. There's no comparison to the interest level in a team that makes it to the Final Four in basketball (regardless of the school) with a Frozen Four or College World Series appearance.

Similarly at the high school level, are people arguing that those that actually have the physical attributes to be Division I basketball recruits in the South end up playing football and/or baseball over basketball? Note that you have to be particularly athletically freakish in terms of height and size to get a D-1 scholarship in basketball even compared to other sports, so there's going to be some self-selection bias there.
02-10-2017 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-10-2017 09:53 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think that we're mistaking particularly high interest in a sport relative to the rest of the country (e.g. baseball in the SEC or hockey in the Big Ten) as actually being outright more popular than basketball. When LSU sells a ton of baseball tickets or Michigan sells a ton of hockey tickets and their fan bases are particularly intense, I think that we can fall into the trap into perceiving that those sports are actually more popular than basketball at those campuses. They're not - believe me, if you're a FBS basketball player at a P5 school (even a bad basketball program), you're a BMOC. It's like comparing a band with a small very intense hard core fan base versus a band with a lot more casual fans. There's no comparison to the interest level in a team that makes it to the Final Four in basketball (regardless of the school) with a Frozen Four or College World Series appearance.

Similarly at the high school level, are people arguing that those that actually have the physical attributes to be Division I basketball recruits in the South end up playing football and/or baseball over basketball? Note that you have to be particularly athletically freakish in terms of height and size to get a D-1 scholarship in basketball even compared to other sports, so there's going to be some self-selection bias there.

Frank, basketball players take a back seat to football players on most of the campuses in the South. That's just how it is. And, I'm not talking North Carolina and Kentucky. Basketball does require specific physical attributes, but those attributes are no less present in a great defensive end / tight end, or a fleet running back. Being 7 feet tall and possessing dexterity is another matter. But, forwards and guards are no more freakish than other athletes in other sports. And great hand eye coordination and speed make for success in most team sports, hockey included.

I spent my younger years in your neck of the woods relatively speaking. I've lived on the West coast, Texas, and have been to every state in the lower 48 other than Rhode Island. Football is a religion in the South and most of the Southwest.. It's different from all other regions in the intensity of that feeling. And in the culture of the high schools and the colleges basketball players are simply not the big men on campus, never have been, and probably won't be anytime soon if ever.

But those of you from the North go on with your opinions, but do realize that opinion is not always reality. But I can tell you this. We are going to hit an equilibrium on the status of athletes in general with this next generation. Millennials don't seem to idolize them at all, see them as problems on campus, and aren't interested in their sports. So give us some years, and our passing, and the basketball players in the South will be held in the same esteem as the football players. It's just that that esteem will be equally low.
02-10-2017 10:22 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(02-10-2017 10:22 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 09:53 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think that we're mistaking particularly high interest in a sport relative to the rest of the country (e.g. baseball in the SEC or hockey in the Big Ten) as actually being outright more popular than basketball. When LSU sells a ton of baseball tickets or Michigan sells a ton of hockey tickets and their fan bases are particularly intense, I think that we can fall into the trap into perceiving that those sports are actually more popular than basketball at those campuses. They're not - believe me, if you're a FBS basketball player at a P5 school (even a bad basketball program), you're a BMOC. It's like comparing a band with a small very intense hard core fan base versus a band with a lot more casual fans. There's no comparison to the interest level in a team that makes it to the Final Four in basketball (regardless of the school) with a Frozen Four or College World Series appearance.

Frank, basketball players take a back seat to football players on most of the campuses in the South. That's just how it is. And, I'm not talking North Carolina and Kentucky. Basketball does require specific physical attributes, but those attributes are no less present in a great defensive end / tight end, or a fleet running back. Being 7 feet tall and possessing dexterity is another matter. But, forwards and guards are no more freakish than other athletes in other sports. And great hand eye coordination and speed make for success in most team sports, hockey included.

I spent my younger years in your neck of the woods relatively speaking. I've lived on the West coast, Texas, and have been to every state in the lower 48 other than Rhode Island. Football is a religion in the South and most of the Southwest.. It's different from all other regions in the intensity of that feeling. And in the culture of the high schools and the colleges basketball players are simply not the big men on campus, never have been, and probably won't be anytime soon if ever.

But those of you from the North go on with your opinions, but do realize that opinion is not always reality. But I can tell you this. We are going to hit an equilibrium on the status of athletes in general with this next generation. Millennials don't seem to idolize them at all, see them as problems on campus, and aren't interested in their sports. So give us some years, and our passing, and the basketball players in the South will be held in the same esteem as the football players. It's just that that esteem will be equally low.

I don't question the primacy of football on campuses in the South. It's similar at most campuses (both high school and college) in the North, too. The Big Ten isn't exactly ignoring football. Football is king virtually everywhere. I'm talking more about sports like college baseball or college hockey that might have particularly fanatical followings in certain places, but then conflating that *those* sports are more popular than basketball. That's where the intense interest of a smaller number of fans (baseball or hockey) gets conflated with the more casual interest of a larger number of fans (basketball). I find it really hard to believe that a College World Series appearance is legitimately a bigger deal than a Final Four appearance even at the schools with the best college baseball fan bases like LSU.
02-10-2017 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I don't think I understand the OP's question at all? Honestly, it's a strange question.

If it's about quality, then the ACC is the obvious answer. Historically speaking, those have been the two strongest conferences in college basketball for the better part of the last three decades. Occasionally, the Big Ten is also in that conversation and the Big 12 as well. However, year in, year out, it has been the Big East and the ACC battling for the mantle of top college basketball conference.

If it's about structure, the old Metro was probably the closest to the Big East and that it to was comprised of urban markets with the primary up at six on basketball. However, it too was obviously a far, far cry short of the Big East - Louisville is not New York City and Memphis is not Boston.

Truthfully, the Big East is a unique conference and there's nothing like it anywhere else in the country. It is obviously not nearly what it once was but it still cool. They still have the best tournament in college basketball and always have and frankly, it's not close. I have been to Indianapolis for the Big Ten tournament, I have been to Greensboro for the ACC tournament and neither one compares in any way to Madison Square Garden on a Saturday night in March. It's just not even close.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2017 11:00 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
02-10-2017 10:56 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
If Metro was sending three or four teams, Big East was sending six or seven. Even the most robust years for the Metro, Great Midwest (too small and too short-lived to be that significant), and original CUSA couldn't match what the Big East was doing.

ACC, though...that was what the Big East wanted to be. That was like, always the aim. A northeastern version of ACC basketball, which was just the five or six coastal states. So, even when the Big East clearly owned the sport...I bet even the best members would have dumped BE for ACC.
02-10-2017 12:04 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-10-2017 12:04 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  If Metro was sending three or four teams, Big East was sending six or seven. Even the most robust years for the Metro, Great Midwest (too small and too short-lived to be that significant), and original CUSA couldn't match what the Big East was doing.

ACC, though...that was what the Big East wanted to be. That was like, always the aim. A northeastern version of ACC basketball, which was just the five or six coastal states. So, even when the Big East clearly owned the sport...I bet even the best members would have dumped BE for ACC.

LOL, they did. This actually happened when SU and Pitt left for the ACC, when the BE still owned college bb. But one could also say that it was the ACC that wanted what the BE had. Thats why they kept pilfering the BE and now the ACC plays on Big Monday, and is now trying to play the ACC Tourney in NYC, and now have their games broadcast on MSG and the YES Network.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2017 12:26 PM by cuseroc.)
02-10-2017 12:26 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(02-10-2017 12:04 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  If Metro was sending three or four teams, Big East was sending six or seven. Even the most robust years for the Metro, Great Midwest (too small and too short-lived to be that significant), and original CUSA couldn't match what the Big East was doing.

No Big East teams would have left the Big East for the ACC for basketball purposes.
02-10-2017 12:42 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(02-09-2017 09:35 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 08:59 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 08:20 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 07:56 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  We really don't do BB in the South.
BB in the South is just something to do to past the time when football season ends.

Really? I know that this is a football-biased board, but did everyone forget that the ACC exists?

Outside of Duke and North Carolina. How many southern schools in the ACC really care? The SEC has been hiring quality coaches to try and get the conference to be more than just Kentucky and whoever steps up.

Arkansas used to a big time hoops school...their arena is SOA
Florida has a decent following
Miami is developing one but has a ways to go
Tennessee has had pretty good crowds in the past

I'm leaving KY and VA out of the discussion as those states are upper South.
02-10-2017 12:57 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(02-10-2017 10:56 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I don't think I understand the OP's question at all? Honestly, it's a strange question.

If it's about quality, then the ACC is the obvious answer. Historically speaking, those have been the two strongest conferences in college basketball for the better part of the last three decades. Occasionally, the Big Ten is also in that conversation and the Big 12 as well. However, year in, year out, it has been the Big East and the ACC battling for the mantle of top college basketball conference.

If it's about structure, the old Metro was probably the closest to the Big East and that it to was comprised of urban markets with the primary up at six on basketball. However, it too was obviously a far, far cry short of the Big East - Louisville is not New York City and Memphis is not Boston.

Truthfully, the Big East is a unique conference and there's nothing like it anywhere else in the country. It is obviously not nearly what it once was but it still cool. They still have the best tournament in college basketball and always have and frankly, it's not close. I have been to Indianapolis for the Big Ten tournament, I have been to Greensboro for the ACC tournament and neither one compares in any way to Madison Square Garden on a Saturday night in March. It's just not even close.

The way I took it was a basketball-centric conference that didn't sponser football. So the original Metro and to a lesser extent the Sun Belt of the 80's. There is none now because all of those schools are scattered everywhere.
02-10-2017 01:15 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(02-10-2017 10:56 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I don't think I understand the OP's question at all? Honestly, it's a strange question.

Original members
Cincy
St. Louis
Tulane
Georgia Tech

Next Season
FSU

Georgia Tech left in 80'

Then
VaTech
S. Miss
South Carolina
02-10-2017 01:29 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-10-2017 12:57 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Arkansas used to a big time hoops school...their arena is SOA
Florida has a decent following
Miami is developing one but has a ways to go
Tennessee has had pretty good crowds in the past

I'm leaving KY and VA out of the discussion as those states are upper South.

SOA?
[Image: charlie-hunnam-as-jax-teller-sons-of-anarchy.jpg]
02-10-2017 02:17 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SOA--->State of the Art
02-10-2017 02:27 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
I guess obviously the OP wasn't asking if there was a DI conf of Catholic schools in the south. I don't think there is, for what it's worth.

I believe it's true that in the south, most whites and blacks aren't Catholic.

Hispanics are Catholic to the bone ... but those living in the US haven't yet acquired enough wealth and status where their children are participating in athletics past youth or going to southern universities at high rates. But, maybe one day it will change ...
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2017 02:36 PM by MplsBison.)
02-10-2017 02:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.