Thread Closed 
Trump Administration
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Trump Administration
(07-29-2019 05:39 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 03:59 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  My concern is that throwing the term "racist" around so freely may truly insulate us from responding to cases of real racism. Kind of like the boy who cried "wolf." I don't see that as a useful or helpful result
I'm curious where and if you rightys draw the line on Trump's talk. I wasn't following this back then but I'm going to need to back and look. I assume there was a "grab them by the p****" discussion pre-election?

I draw the line when it becomes racist.
07-29-2019 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(07-29-2019 06:10 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 03:59 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  My concern is that throwing the term "racist" around so freely may truly insulate us from responding to cases of real racism. Kind of like the boy who cried "wolf." I don't see that as a useful or helpful result
I'm curious where and if you rightys draw the line on Trump's talk. I wasn't following this back then but I'm going to need to back and look. I assume there was a "grab them by the p****" discussion pre-election?

I draw the line when it *is* racist. We are in the midst of seeing a lot of talk *become* supposedly racist on a 'because he said it' basis.

I agree with Frizz.

"Grab them by the *****" is absolutely vulgar.

"Shithole" is vulgar -- albeit fairly descriptive. And absolutely raw talk.

"Disgusting, rat- and rodent-infested mess" is neither vulgar nor racist. And raw talk --- one step below the entry preceding. Something to say to deliberately knock someone back on their heels and elicit a response.

And look what it did.
07-29-2019 06:35 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 06:35 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
I draw the line when it *is* racist. We are in the midst of seeing a lot of talk *become* supposedly racist on a 'because he said it' basis.
I agree with Frizz.
"Disgusting, rat- and rodent-infested mess" is neither vulgar nor racist. And raw talk --- one step below the entry preceding. Something to say to deliberately knock someone back on their heels and elicit a response.
And look what it did.

Exactly. I went for brevity. You were more explicit and detailed.
07-29-2019 07:01 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 07:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

I'm not sure that the term "vulgar" adequately captures Trump's phrase "Grab them by the *****". It is really beyond vulgar, right? "Vulgar" doesn't really capture the sexual assault association that comes with that phrase. The description "completely unacceptable" is a better one than "vulgar" IMHO.
07-29-2019 07:24 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(07-29-2019 07:24 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 05:39 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  I'm curious where and if you rightys draw the line on Trump's talk. I wasn't following this back then but I'm going to need to back and look. I assume there was a "grab them by the p****" discussion pre-election?
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

I'm not sure that the term "vulgar" adequately captures Trump's phrase "Grab them by the *****". It is really beyond vulgar, right? "Vulgar" doesn't really capture the sexual assault association that comes with that phrase. The description "completely unacceptable" is a better one than "vulgar" IMHO.

BBC uses the term "obscene," FWIW. Tomato/tomahto IMO. The context of the remark wasn't sexual assault. Some people drop F-bombs in private conversations and that word is obscene, too.
07-29-2019 07:40 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 05:39 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  I'm curious where and if you rightys draw the line on Trump's talk. I wasn't following this back then but I'm going to need to back and look. I assume there was a "grab them by the p****" discussion pre-election?
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

I thought the subject was the term "racist."
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 07:55 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-29-2019 07:51 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

Those of you who consider vulgar language a disqualification for public office - are you really that sanctimonious and puritanical in general, or only when finding fault with Trump?
07-29-2019 07:52 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 07:40 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 06:10 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I draw the line when it becomes racist.
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

BBC uses the term "obscene," FWIW. Tomato/tomahto IMO. The context of the remark wasn't sexual assault. Some people drop F-bombs in private conversations and that word is obscene, too.

The gist of the message was "if you are famous then you can do what you want with pretty women, even grab them by their *******. You won't get in trouble if you're famous." (this is not an exact quote).

How is the context of the remark not sexual assault?
07-29-2019 08:01 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 07:52 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Those of you who consider vulgar language a disqualification for public office - are you really that sanctimonious and puritanical in general, or only when finding fault with Trump?

Frizzy... big time straw man there.

When did I say that vulgar language was a disqualification for public office???
07-29-2019 08:07 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

That verbiage *would* be completely acceptable in some places. Clubhouses of the Hell's Angels or Bandidos comes to mind.

Pretty much every seismic crew I was ever with as well.

Just about every drilling platform I have ever been on (North Sea, Irish Sea, Africa, Gulf, SE Asia).

More than one construction crew, or welding crew as well.

More than one gathering of male family members in any number of about a dozen or so South American countries and Mexico.

At well more than a dozen or so nights drinking sochu in Korea or Japan with 10 or more males.

I guess in your world it is all cheese and wine all the time.

Not saying it isnt vulgar. Starkly so. And greatly so.

In some places that talk actually is acceptable, notwithstanding your edict to the contrary. When can I get you a ticket to head out to the Gulf of Mexico to preach to them out there on their language? What dates are good for you for that?
07-29-2019 08:57 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2019 08:07 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 07:52 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Those of you who consider vulgar language a disqualification for public office - are you really that sanctimonious and puritanical in general, or only when finding fault with Trump?

Well, then what are you saying - in other words, as I asked, what's the purpose of this sidebar on Trump's vulgarity? Was it just to change the subject? What line did you mean when you asked where to draw the line?
07-29-2019 09:55 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 08:57 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 06:10 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I draw the line when it becomes racist.
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

That verbiage *would* be completely acceptable in some places. Clubhouses of the Hell's Angels or Bandidos comes to mind.

Just about every drilling platform I have ever been on (North Sea, Irish Sea, Africa, Gulf, SE Asia).

More than one gathering of male family members in any number of about a dozen or so South American countries and Mexico.

At well more than a dozen or so nights drinking sochu in Korea or Japan with 10 or more males.

In some places that talk actually is acceptable, notwithstanding your edict to the contrary. When can I get you a ticket to head out to the Gulf of Mexico to preach to them out there on their language? What dates are good for you for that?

You don't make any distinction between language that is "crass" and this language that describes assaulting a woman? Especially in light of the person using this language having a history of multiple accusations spanning from unwanted kissing to rape?

So if language is commonly used within certain groups then it is somehow considered okey dokey (to use your term)? How about frat parties where the N-word is thrown around (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0r9t-EkIM)? Does this somehow justify its use elsewhere? Are there some guys out in the Gulf on the rigs who might drop the N-word from time to time? If so... does this give people in New York a pass to use this term?

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make by providing these examples.
07-29-2019 09:56 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2019 08:01 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 06:35 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I draw the line when it *is* racist. We are in the midst of seeing a lot of talk *become* supposedly racist on a 'because he said it' basis.
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

The gist of the message was "if you are famous then you can do what you want with pretty women, even grab them by their *******. You won't get in trouble if you're famous." (this is not an exact quote).

I provided a link to the transcript. Why misrepresent what he said with an inexact quote? The context is what it is - try reading it.
07-29-2019 09:58 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 09:55 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 08:07 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  

Well, then what are you saying - in other words, as I asked, what's the purpose of this sidebar on Trump's vulgarity? Was it just to change the subject? What line did you mean when you asked where to draw the line?

I mean what is the point that right wing posters on this forum will they say "OK... he has crossed a line here. He should apologize for that language. That's unacceptable from a president (presidential candidate)." I have read a bunch of justification for pretty bad (IMO) things that he has said or tweeted. I wondered if something so completely over-the-top such as "grab them by the *****" was at all a point of reckoning for the Trump supporters on here. I guess not. They seemingly echo Trump that this particular comment was just "locker room talk among the guys".
07-29-2019 10:04 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

What do you mean by "point of reckoning?"

By the way, he's already apologized for the *****-grabbing speech. I don't think his apology carries much weight or makes much difference. Do you?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 10:11 PM by Frizzy Owl.)
07-29-2019 10:07 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 09:58 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 07:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Exactly. I went for brevity. You were more explicit and detailed.

I provided a link to the transcript. Why misrepresent what he said with an inexact quote? The context is what it is - try reading it.

Sorry... finishing up some work and getting kids to bed. Posting quickly in between a bunch of stuff. Was his actual quote a lot better than I remembered it?
07-29-2019 10:12 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-29-2019 09:56 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 06:35 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I draw the line when it *is* racist. We are in the midst of seeing a lot of talk *become* supposedly racist on a 'because he said it' basis.
I agree with Frizz.
And look what it did.

You don't make any distinction between language that is "crass" and this language that describes assaulting a woman? Especially in light of the person using this language having a history of multiple accusations spanning from unwanted kissing to rape?

So if language is commonly used within certain groups then it is somehow considered okey dokey (to use your term)? How about frat parties where the N-word is thrown around (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0r9t-EkIM)? Does this somehow justify its use elsewhere? Are there some guys out in the Gulf on the rigs who might drop the N-word from time to time? If so... does this give people in New York a pass to use this term?

For one, pointing out that the description of "completely unacceptable" simply points out that you are clueless as to those types of environments where it actually is.

I am sure it is "completely unacceptable" in those places that you have experienced or wish to be. But, I hate to tell you, my friend, that there are a huge number of places and environments where it actually *is* acceptable --- notwithstanding your preaching.

You all are like the Church Lady in the mirror image bearded Spock universe. And you all are completely unaware of it.
07-29-2019 10:18 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2019 10:12 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 09:58 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 07:24 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  I'm not sure that the term "vulgar" adequately captures Trump's phrase "Grab them by the *****". It is really beyond vulgar, right? "Vulgar" doesn't really capture the sexual assault association that comes with that phrase. The description "completely unacceptable" is a better one than "vulgar" IMHO.

Sorry... finishing up some work and getting kids to bed. Posting quickly in between a bunch of stuff. Was his actual quote a lot better than I remembered it?

I don't know about better, but it was braggadocio about women's response to his famousness - an "I'm so sexy" speech about women letting him do anything up to and including.
07-29-2019 10:19 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 10:07 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  What do you mean by "point of reckoning?"

By the way, he's already apologized for the *****-grabbing speech. I don't think his apology carries much weight or makes much difference. Do you?

He had no choice but to apologize given the circumstances of the presidential election. I don't know if the apology carries weight. The only way to know is to have insight into whether he actually tried to learn from this situation and change his behavior. I don't have any way to say if that happened or not.

The Oklahoma SAE racist apologized as well after his video came out. Did that apology "carry much weight"?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 10:24 PM by Rice93.)
07-29-2019 10:23 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(07-29-2019 10:18 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 09:56 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 07:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Exactly. I went for brevity. You were more explicit and detailed.

For one, pointing out that the description of "completely unacceptable" simply points out that you are clueless as to those types of environments where it actually is.

I am sure it is "completely unacceptable" in those places that you have experienced or wish to be. But, I hate to tell you, my friend, that there are a huge number of places and environments where it actually *is* acceptable --- notwithstanding your preaching.

You all are like the Church Lady in the mirror image bearded Spock universe. And you all are completely unaware of it.

I know that it is acceptable in certain subgroups. Just about every horrible word/phrase could be considered "acceptable" among certain people.

You didn't really think that I believed that nobody in the world freely uses language like that?
07-29-2019 10:31 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.