Trump Administration
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Trump Administration
(06-04-2017 09:15 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 06:52 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 02:38 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  OO, sorry you took my post that way, it wasn't meant to be condescending. I literally was meant to explain why you had not heard of resiliency, because it hasn't really entered the mainstream lexicon.
And my response to your central thesis is three-fold: people are focused on saving itself by addressing the impacts of climate change (resiliency), that a lot of the GHG reduction technology have multiple benefits (generally via a reduction in resource consumption), and that we cannot let perfection get in the way of progress.
It sounds like you do care about climate change and the potential effects it will have on future populations, as well as upcoming environmental stressors (e.g. water resources).
So if that is the case, why not support progress that will help address that? It seems like your lack of support is just because you feel as if others think GHG emission reductions will be a panacea to our problems. You say that it's because the former won't allow the latter, but why do you think that?

I think where OO and I both have problems is the definition of progress. To me, and I think to him as well, the dialogue sounds something like this:

Global warming is a catastrophe that will destroy life as we know it.
So what should we do?
Abandon oil, coal, and all fossil fuels.
But we have nothing to replace them with.
No matter, just abandon them and science will come up with something.
Anything else?
Oh yes, send trillions of dollars to developing countries.
Will those things solve the problem?
No.

The AGW crowd is trying to push costly actions with minimal benefits. The only way to do that is to stir up such a frenzy that people will make irrational decisions.

So it's just a messaging issue you have?

I don't think any mainstream environmentalist is suggesting that overnight we abandon our current energy infrastructure because it isn't feasible. And that isn't what the Paris Accords suggested.

The Accord suggested we continue to push for reductions, which we can easily do by working on increasing the fuel efficiency of motor vehicles or continuing to support the development of hybrid/electric cars. Or investing in green infrastructure to support our electrical grid until we can develop a more feasible method (battery/storage technology, nuclear [well, that isn't a development issue, that's a public opinion issue]) to provide a consistent base load and peak supplements when needed.

Honestly, no one is seriously suggesting that we abandon fossil fuels overnight, and unless I'm mistaken, no serious legislation/treaty has suggested such.

I was speaking more to the overall environmental movement, not the Paris Accords. I think Trump could have accomplished just as much by throwing our goals 20 years in the future, like the Chineses, and reducing our financial contribution to zero. I still don't see the point of an agreement in which all the signatories set their own goals and there is no enforcement. Kind of like letting a group of parolees set their own goals on employment, drugs, and crime, and then no enforcement. WHy is this a big thing?

My problems are with the lack of direction (or misdirection) and focus (or misfocus)of the environmental movement, not the Paris thingie.
06-04-2017 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2017 09:15 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  So it's just a messaging issue you have?

No. What led you to that conclusion?
06-04-2017 09:39 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(06-04-2017 09:39 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 09:15 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  So it's just a messaging issue you have?

No. What led you to that conclusion?

Because your assertion that the dialogue with global warming includes an actual solution that is to completely abandon oil, coal, and all fossil fuels, and that isn't the case.

Therefore, it seems like it must just be a messaging issue since you gleaned that as an actual part of the conversation. All of the serious proposals and federal initiatives target reducing our use and dependence on those for energy, and perhaps eventually abandoning them. But the abandonment is down the line when viable alternatives might actually be developed.

So it sounds like the side aiming to reduce fossil fuel use needs to do a better job explaining themselves.
06-04-2017 09:53 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2017 09:53 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Because your assertion that the dialogue with global warming includes an actual solution that is to completely abandon oil, coal, and all fossil fuels, and that isn't the case.
Therefore, it seems like it must just be a messaging issue since you gleaned that as an actual part of the conversation. All of the serious proposals and federal initiatives target reducing our use and dependence on those for energy, and perhaps eventually abandoning them. But the abandonment is down the line when viable alternatives might actually be developed.
So it sounds like the side aiming to reduce fossil fuel use needs to do a better job explaining themselves.

But I think that's a more substantial issue than simply messaging. Maybe not every single voice in the AGW movement wants us off fossil fuels tomorrow, regardless of the availability of suitable alternatives, but I think there are a significant number who do. And even those who don't fall prey to that kind of thinking.

Take as an example the opposition to the XL and Dakota pipelines. If you take the position that we are going to be on oil for a good while longer, then building those pipelines is hugely sensible from an environmental/global warming perspective. The alternative is producing the oil and moving it by rail or truck, not shutting down the oil production. The pipeline has a vastly lower likelihood of spills, moves the oil for a much cheaper price, consumes less energy, and produces less greenhouse gas. But the opposition is almost universal among the AGW crowd, usually based on some argument like building the pipeline just increases the length of time we will be dependent on oil. What increases the length of time we will be dependent on oil is the lack of a suitable substitute. While we are dependent on oil, getting it in the least expensive and least environmentally damaging way seems only logical. But the AGW mantra is pretty consistently to oppose anything that makes oil cheaper or easier. I can see that if there were a viable alternative. But what sense does it make when there isn't? That's why both OO and I see it as way more anti-oil than pro-environment.

Consider another issue. There is this movement to buy local, to produce things closer to market, to reduce transportation cost and greenhouse gas emissions. What would help move production of many goods closer to the huge market represented by the US? Well, lowering the US corporate tax rate, for one thing. Bet you've never seen anyone advocate that as a way to reduce greenhouse gases.

Natural gas is currently the fair haired energy source. It burns clean and we've got lots of it. We have so many years of production in reserves. But here's the thing. We have that reserve life largely because, thanks to Jimmy Carter, gas has been hugely under-utilized. If we double consumption, then those years of reserves get cut in half. We might be able to stretch those reserves much further, and use a plentiful resource in a cleaner way, with coal gasification. The Germans did it in WWII, and also coal liquefaction, because they had coal but not oil. The process creates CO2 right now, but perhaps there is a way either to produce less CO2 or to manage the CO2 produced (which should be easier to manage coming from a point source). So shouldn't that be a research focus?

I would like to see someone say, look, we really don't have a viable alternative to oil. We are trying to develop one, and those efforts need to be redoubled. But until we have one, we need to be producing and using oil in ways that minimize environmental damage, cost, and political and military risk. Be proactive about future energy sources, not just anti-oil.

Yes, I do see a huge push to get off coal and oil simply to get off coal and oil, regardless of whether there is anything to go to instead, or even any net global warming benefit. Let's create the alternatives first, then go there.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 01:27 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
06-04-2017 03:04 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

(Not ignoring the climate debate, but Lad has made most of the points I would have made and not sure I have much to add at this point.)

The attacks this weekend in London and last in Manchester were appalling, to state the obvious. But Trump's reaction reminds me why I'd rather have president Pence, even though I fear a Pence administration would be much more competent at implementing (IMHO) bad domestic policies: if we suffer a major attack at home or he has to deal with a serious international crisis, holy crap.

Apparently his national security advisers were blindsided by the NATO speech:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2...eam-215227

And here AP fact checks his latest tweets. Many are misleading and outright false.

https://www.apnews.com/079e907d81d14e7ca...P_Politics

As an aside, I'll admit that it amused me that he called his travel ban a "travel ban" again after weeks of his administration trying to argue that it's not a travel ban.
06-05-2017 12:28 PM
1st String

I hadn't seen this when I wrote the first post:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/politics/t...index.html

So after being called out for dishonestly (or cluelessly) taking Khan out of context, he doubles down and calls the mayor "pathetic".

Such a classy way to show solidarity with the people of London and one of our closest allies...
06-05-2017 12:42 PM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It is already evident that, before the United States Government can proceed much further in its efforts to alleviate the situation and help start the European world on its way to recovery, there must be some agreement among the countries of Europe as to the requirements of the situation and the part those countries themselves will take in order to give proper effect to whatever action might be undertaken by this Government. It would be neither fitting nor efficacious for this Government to undertake to draw up unilaterally a program designed to place Europe on its feet economically. This is the business of the Europeans. The initiative, I think, must come from Europe. The role of this country should consist of friendly aid in the drafting of a European program and of later support of such a program so far as it may be practical for us to do so. The program should be a joint one, agreed to by a number, if not all European nations.

An essential part of any successful action on the part of the United States is an understanding on the part of the people of America of the character of the problem and the remedies to be applied. Political passion and prejudice should have no part. With foresight, and a willingness on the part of our people to face up to the vast responsibility which history has clearly placed upon our country, the difficulties I have outlined can and will be overcome.

I am sorry that on each occasion I have said something publicly in regard to our international situation, I've been forced by the necessities of the case to enter into rather technical discussions. But to my mind, it is of vast importance that our people reach some general understanding of what the complications really are, rather than react from a passion or a prejudice or an emotion of the moment. As I said more formally a moment ago, we are remote from the scene of these troubles. It is virtually impossible at this distance merely by reading, or listening, or even seeing photographs or motion pictures, to grasp at all the real significance of the situation. And yet the whole world of the future hangs on a proper judgment. It hangs, I think, to a large extent on the realization of the American people, of just what are the various dominant factors. What are the reactions of the people? What are the justifications of those reactions? What are the sufferings? What is needed? What can best be done? What must be done?

General George Marshall
Harvard Commencement Address
June 5, 1947
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 03:22 PM by JSA.)
06-05-2017 01:26 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

Not part of the admin, per se, but Eric Trump's comments seem very familiar to the deplorable line by Clinton, when he was talking to Hannity about Democrats. I doubt it will cause as much consternation on the left as the deplorable comment did on the right, despite the fact that the implication here is just as bad, if not worse.

Quote: “I’ve never seen hatred like this,” he said on Fox News’s “Hannity” Tuesday night. “To me, they’re not even people. It’s so, so sad. Morality’s just gone, morals have flown out the window and we deserve so much better than this as a country."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrati...ven-people
06-07-2017 08:27 AM
1st String

(06-07-2017 08:27 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Not part of the admin, per se, but Eric Trump's comments seem very familiar to the deplorable line by Clinton, when he was talking to Hannity about Democrats. I doubt it will cause as much consternation on the left as the deplorable comment did on the right, despite the fact that the implication here is just as bad, if not worse.

Quote: “I’ve never seen hatred like this,” he said on Fox News’s “Hannity” Tuesday night. “To me, they’re not even people. It’s so, so sad. Morality’s just gone, morals have flown out the window and we deserve so much better than this as a country."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrati...ven-people

"Morality's just gone" - says the guy who Forbes says was skimming off money meant for St. Jude's....
06-07-2017 09:12 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Score one in the positive column here (imo)

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attorney-...t-practice

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-releas...6/download

I had talked about the collusive relationship between the DOJ and private interest groups earlier. While this doesn't address one aspect (i.e. the 'rollover and die' method that the previous administration undertook where an outside group would sue to enforce their view of a rule or law, the DOJ would rollover on it, and then pay the outside group 'damages'), it does end the practice of private third party payments to non-participant groups as part of a settlement or suit.

Travesty that either prongs existed, and sheer gross violations of the function of the DOJ overall to even engage in either practice. Great that one is dead (at least until the next Democratic administration....)
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 01:06 PM by tanqtonic.)
06-07-2017 01:05 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2017 01:05 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Score one in the positive column here (imo)

I had talked about the collusive relationship between the DOJ and private interest groups earlier. While this doesn't address one aspect (i.e. the 'rollover and die' method that the previous administration undertook where an outside group would sue to enforce their view of a rule or law, the DOJ would rollover on it, and then pay the outside group 'damages'), it does end the practice of private third party payments to non-participant groups as part of a settlement or suit.

Travesty that either prongs existed, and sheer gross violations of the function of the DOJ overall to even engage in either practice. Great that one is dead (at least until the next Democratic administration....)

That seems like one of those rules that had good intentions (for example, just read that part of an upcoming Harley Davidson suit about selling illegal after-market devices that did not meet emissions requirements was to go towards a project to reduce air emissions) but could easily be corrupted or be ineffective. Definitely not a bad idea to rescind the rule, IMO.

One question, for suits like the one mentioned above, where there is not an easily identifiable victim, where do the settlement funds go to?
06-07-2017 01:22 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2017 01:22 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 01:05 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Score one in the positive column here (imo)

That seems like one of those rules that had good intentions (for example, just read that part of an upcoming Harley Davidson suit about selling illegal after-market devices that did not meet emissions requirements was to go towards a project to reduce air emissions) but could easily be corrupted or be ineffective. Definitely not a bad idea to rescind the rule, IMO.

One question, for suits like the one mentioned above, where there is not an easily identifiable victim, where do the settlement funds go to?

The practice had two aspects. First, you *have* to have standing to proceed with a lawsuit. However, when the Obama DOJ was faced with a suit that they decided they liked the outcome, they would never contest any standing. In some of these cases the named plaintiff would receive the damages with a 'promise' that it would go to such and such end. All without a fight as to either standing or the merits of the action. So many activist groups used the DOJ attitudes to bankroll their treasuries directly as named plaintiffs. This activity wasnt explicitly touched by the policy change today, but I can imagine that AG Sessions and his direct underlings probably will not be as rollover to the ACLU, Sierra Club, etc, as was the case before.

In the practice that was addressed today, a named plaintiff would sue the government, then as part of the settlement some outside third party would be the beneficiary of funds as directed by the settlement agreement reached by the plaintiff and by the DOJ. This is the case where a non-party got the proceeds, and typically the use of proceeds were only restricted by agreement between the plaintiff and the third-party, and sometimes by the DOJ in the settlement agreement. Absent this the funds are unrestricted. As a practical matter this latter course was the norm during the Obama tenure.

It was used as a crappy end run to finance the cause de jour, and as a crappy practice to short circuit rule enforcement procedures, since the plaintiffs typically wanted a judicial change or interpretation of an administrative rule and acted in explicit concert with the DOJ to effectuate these changes in this manner.

Even to the point that the DOJ would ****-block third party interventions by actual interested parties who were typically about to get screwed by the covert rulemaking agenda.

Real despicable practice overall. Used very effectively in the California gay marriage suits at the California state and Federal level as well. Kind of hard for anyone to actually get involved when the party who is tasked with defending a law or position refuses to do so, *and* then actively seeks to keep anyone else from that defense as well.... The DOJ went so full bore on the gay marriage cases that they actively tried to sink the standing of of anyone that actually tried to assume that defense.

edited to add:

another aspect, which is *really* affected today, was the practice of the DOJ of suing a party, then turning over some or all the proceeds to a third party group. In effect, running a slush fund for donations to that third party.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 08:53 PM by tanqtonic.)
06-07-2017 03:09 PM
1st String

I actually stopped watching the McCain questioning. He seemed completely out of it. Painful to watch.
06-08-2017 12:31 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-08-2017 12:31 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  I actually stopped watching the McCain questioning. He seemed completely out of it. Painful to watch.

Yeah - between the severe lack of logic and coherence in his statement as well as his fumbling over who the president was (hint: not Comey), it was bizarre and rather concerning.
06-08-2017 01:01 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
06-08-2017 03:17 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
Matthews may be right. I guess what's notable here is that he's seen as a liberal commentator, so this counter-liberal opinion has more probative value. Maybe it does. For my part, I'm not sure there was ever collusion (though I think there was certainly weird, goofy behavior) or obstruction of justice (again, mainly just weird, goofy behavior).

When something is gray, whether it looks black or white will often depend on the lens through which one looks. My guess is Democrats see Comey as living proof that Trump tried to obstruct justice, while Republicans may see that Comey is proof of no such thing.

This may not be a truly relevant question, but more of a curiosity point: does anyone here believe that, if we were talking about Obama having these types of conversations (or the FBI Director recounting how skeezy he felt after talking to Obama), Republicans wouldn't be completely batsh-t crazy over it? Again, this question doesn't seek to address whether there was any wrongdoing here, but rather to say that we often presume what we set out to conclude--and this is true of all people, left or right or middle.
06-08-2017 04:37 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-08-2017 04:37 PM)Barrett Wrote:  This may not be a truly relevant question, but more of a curiosity point: does anyone here believe that, if we were talking about Obama having these types of conversations (or the FBI Director recounting how skeezy he felt after talking to Obama), Republicans wouldn't be completely batsh-t crazy over it? Again, this question doesn't seek to address whether there was any wrongdoing here, but rather to say that we often presume what we set out to conclude--and this is true of all people, left or right or middle.

Interesting question. I think I'd need more context in order to be able to answer. I think the context here is that there has been a pretty concerted effort, by both democrats and some disaffected republicans, the "get" Trump for several months, and I think this is the only thing that has turned up that might bear fruit, so they're going after it tooth and nail.
06-08-2017 05:16 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-08-2017 05:16 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 04:37 PM)Barrett Wrote:  This may not be a truly relevant question, but more of a curiosity point: does anyone here believe that, if we were talking about Obama having these types of conversations (or the FBI Director recounting how skeezy he felt after talking to Obama), Republicans wouldn't be completely batsh-t crazy over it? Again, this question doesn't seek to address whether there was any wrongdoing here, but rather to say that we often presume what we set out to conclude--and this is true of all people, left or right or middle.

Interesting question. I think I'd need more context in order to be able to answer. I think the context here is that there has been a pretty concerted effort, by both democrats and some disaffected republicans, the "get" Trump for several months, and I think this is the only thing that has turned up that might bear fruit, so they're going after it tooth and nail.

Naw, other things have turned up.

Grab her by the pu**y and funneling charity money into businesses.

It's just that those haven't stuck for some reason or another (in fairness, the funneling issue just broke in the news a few days ago).

I have no doubt that had this situation been turned around on Obama or Hillary the right would have a similar, if not more fervent reaction. Just look at discussions we are still having on this board about Benghazi and emails. And let's not even forget about the Kenya thing.

Barrett is right that what team you more closely align with often colors your opinion of a situation.

And to the Matthew's thing, I've said many times on this board, I would be shocked if Trump himself was directly connected to collusion with Russia (despite some posters telling me otherwise). But at this point I would be shocked if those around Trump were not found to have more nefarious dealings with them. Way too many forgotten meetings by the likes of Flynn and Sessions.
06-08-2017 05:49 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:This may not be a truly relevant question, but more of a curiosity point: does anyone here believe that, if we were talking about Obama having these types of conversations (or the FBI Director recounting how skeezy he felt after talking to Obama),
Republicans wouldn't be completely batsh-t crazy over it?

Perhaps you should take note of Comey's comments on Lynch today. Exactly the same situation imo.

I saw one thing today that I thought was spot on, and glad to see someone take note of.

**If** Trump actually 'obstructed justice' (we shall see if this is the case), it seems fairly clear that Loretta Lynch wielded the same Executive power in almost precisely the same way with regards to the Hillary 'matter'.

My opinion, is that if Trump falls to the obstruction issue, Loretta should be charged within a nanosecond of that. And, to be fair, if that vein is not brought against Trump, then Loretta should share that same non-action.

I do have an opinion on whether either action is obstruction under the law, but that opinion is immaterial as to the above statements.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2017 07:08 PM by tanqtonic.)
06-08-2017 07:04 PM
OldOwlNewHeel2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice/UNC
(06-07-2017 03:09 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 01:22 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

The practice had two aspects. First, you *have* to have standing to proceed with a lawsuit. However, when the Obama DOJ was faced with a suit that they decided they liked the outcome, they would never contest any standing. In some of these cases the named plaintiff would receive the damages with a 'promise' that it would go to such and such end. All without a fight as to either standing or the merits of the action. So many activist groups used the DOJ attitudes to bankroll their treasuries directly as named plaintiffs. This activity wasnt explicitly touched by the policy change today, but I can imagine that AG Sessions and his direct underlings probably will not be as rollover to the ACLU, Sierra Club, etc, as was the case before.

In the practice that was addressed today, a named plaintiff would sue the government, then as part of the settlement some outside third party would be the beneficiary of funds as directed by the settlement agreement reached by the plaintiff and by the DOJ. This is the case where a non-party got the proceeds, and typically the use of proceeds were only restricted by agreement between the plaintiff and the third-party, and sometimes by the DOJ in the settlement agreement. Absent this the funds are unrestricted. As a practical matter this latter course was the norm during the Obama tenure.

It was used as a crappy end run to finance the cause de jour, and as a crappy practice to short circuit rule enforcement procedures, since the plaintiffs typically wanted a judicial change or interpretation of an administrative rule and acted in explicit concert with the DOJ to effectuate these changes in this manner.

Even to the point that the DOJ would ****-block third party interventions by actual interested parties who were typically about to get screwed by the covert rulemaking agenda.

Real despicable practice overall. Used very effectively in the California gay marriage suits at the California state and Federal level as well. Kind of hard for anyone to actually get involved when the party who is tasked with defending a law or position refuses to do so, *and* then actively seeks to keep anyone else from that defense as well.... The DOJ went so full bore on the gay marriage cases that they actively tried to sink the standing of of anyone that actually tried to assume that defense.

edited to add:

another aspect, which is *really* affected today, was the practice of the DOJ of suing a party, then turning over some or all the proceeds to a third party group. In effect, running a slush fund for donations to that third party.

Just a small point: Federal courts (particularly appellate courts) have a duty to assess their own subject-matter jurisdiction, regardless of whether the parties agree or contest the issue. In other words, whether or not the Obama DOJ contested standing is *theoretically* irrelevant - the courts should have addressed the issue anyway.
06-08-2017 07:45 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.