RE: Men's XC SB Championship
Men's x-country is a glaring weakness for us
10-29-2016 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
(10-29-2016 11:36 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  Men's x-country is a glaring weakness for us

Apps Men's T&F and XC are not what they used to be but our women are hanging in there. A few SB schools are better at the F part than the T part so ITF will be interesting. XC is a good portents for the distance parts of the T in ITF and OTF.
10-29-2016 12:40 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
I'm just glad we get some attention in the fall, even if it is just one weekend. No question out T&F program, especially on the men's side is one of the best in the SBC.
10-29-2016 01:05 PM
coastalalum Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Coastal
(10-29-2016 11:36 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  Men's x-country is a glaring weakness for us

As I said in a thread from 6 or 8 weeks ago, our men's XC situation is an embarrassment. I ran XC at Coastal. All I can figure is that this is either --- still a remnant of our threat a couple years back to dissolve the program, or a scholarship numbers problem. Both of these possibilities point to directly to title IX.
10-29-2016 06:45 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(10-29-2016 06:45 PM)coastalalum Wrote:  

As I said in a thread from 6 or 8 weeks ago, our men's XC situation is an embarrassment. I ran XC at Coastal. All I can figure is that this is either --- still a remnant of our threat a couple years back to dissolve the program, or a scholarship numbers problem. Both of these possibilities point to directly to title IX.

I would assume that since you don't have men's T&F, it is a hard draw.
10-29-2016 06:57 PM
Heisman

Has to be Title IX. No way it is FBS football and the 65 scholarships more than the second-most-scholarshipped sport.
10-29-2016 07:23 PM
coastalalum Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Coastal
(10-29-2016 06:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I would assume that since you don't have men's T&F, it is a hard draw.

Actually, Coastal has a pretty decent men's outdoor track and field team.
10-29-2016 09:24 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(10-29-2016 09:24 PM)coastalalum Wrote:  
(10-29-2016 06:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I would assume that since you don't have men's T&F, it is a hard draw.

Actually, Coastal has a pretty decent men's outdoor track and field team.
Good, because the SBC has 4/5 good ones that could win it in any given year.
We did lose 1/2 of our 4x100 that went to Nationals the past 2 years. Hope we got guys to plug in there.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2016 11:51 PM by CatMom.)
10-29-2016 09:56 PM
Advertisement

GSUPanther96 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgia State

Hey, at least you have a team. Cheryl Levick still haunts us.
10-30-2016 07:53 AM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
(10-29-2016 06:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

Yes we have a team for outdoor

just don't do indoor men's because of title IX
10-30-2016 10:22 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(10-30-2016 10:22 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  
(10-29-2016 06:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

Yes we have a team for outdoor

just don't do indoor men's because of title IX
But it's the same team of athletes, isn't it? It's not like you're adding or subtracting any already awarded scholarships.
10-30-2016 10:34 AM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

For title IX you count them twice

You count the participation not the scholarship
10-30-2016 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

For instance a girl that runs XC+ runs indoor and also is an outdoor runner counts for you 3 times
10-30-2016 11:23 AM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

In title IX for instance last year we had 63 scholarships in football but our football team for had over 100 when the title IX accounting is done
10-30-2016 11:25 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(10-30-2016 11:23 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  For instance a girl that runs XC+ runs indoor and also is an outdoor runner counts for you 3 times
Thanks, wasn't sure how that worked. I'm ok with some Title IX but that's messed up.
10-30-2016 12:47 PM
Heisman

Once again, there is so much confusion about Title IX, but scholarships play very little, if anything in Title IX.

There are three prongs to Title IX.

1) proportionality, indicating that the percentage of female student-athletes involved with intercollegiate athletics is similar to the ratio of the female/male composition of the student body,

2) demonstrating an institution’s commitment to Title IX by expanding the number of sports for women,

or

3) satisfying the interests and abilities of the female students by providing sufficient opportunities.

Football is generally 1/3 to 1/4 of the entire student-athlete population, so no FBS school meets Title IX on prong one.

Generally, prong 2 is easier to prove. No where does cutting a men's sport satisfy prong 2. More often, cutting a men's sport is a cost-savings move to either cut the overall budget or add more money for football. Georgia Southern adding women's golf while moving to FBS is a way that meets that requirement. Adding 20 scholarships and 25-30 players will never be met with an equal number of women's scholies, yet App St, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, Georgia Southern & St, ODU, South Alabama, Texas St and UTSA have all made the jump. Most didn't even add a sport.

Prong 3 is the generic prong that is what most schools get to pass the test.

And I don't know where you get the idea that cross country athletes count three times. XCC/T&F are allowed 12.6 for men and 18 for women by the NCAA.

The only valid reason for having an outdoor team but not an indoor is cost. The participation still counts the same, as the indoor and outdoor athletes are the same.
10-30-2016 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(10-30-2016 12:47 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(10-30-2016 11:23 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  For instance a girl that runs XC+ runs indoor and also is an outdoor runner counts for you 3 times
Thanks, wasn't sure how that worked. I'm ok with some Title IX but that's messed up.

That's false. That isn't in any of the Title IX prongs. Coastal not having an indoor team is purely a cost move.

Like wrestling, no one blames football for the need to save costs. But "needless government overreach" in Title IX gets the blame.

EDIT: Somehow the NFL needs only 53 players on their roster, but Division I has to have 85 scholarships and 100 total players.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2016 12:55 PM by FoUTASportscaster.)
10-30-2016 12:54 PM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

(10-30-2016 12:53 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Once again, there is so much confusion about Title IX, but scholarships play very little, if anything in Title IX.

There are three prongs to Title IX.

1) proportionality, indicating that the percentage of female student-athletes involved with intercollegiate athletics is similar to the ratio of the female/male composition of the student body,

2) demonstrating an institution’s commitment to Title IX by expanding the number of sports for women,

or

3) satisfying the interests and abilities of the female students by providing sufficient opportunities.

Football is generally 1/3 to 1/4 of the entire student-athlete population, so no FBS school meets Title IX on prong one.

Generally, prong 2 is easier to prove. No where does cutting a men's sport satisfy prong 2. More often, cutting a men's sport is a cost-savings move to either cut the overall budget or add more money for football. Georgia Southern adding women's golf while moving to FBS is a way that meets that requirement. Adding 20 scholarships and 25-30 players will never be met with an equal number of women's scholies, yet App St, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, Georgia Southern & St, ODU, South Alabama, Texas St and UTSA have all made the jump. Most didn't even add a sport.

Prong 3 is the generic prong that is what most schools get to pass the test.

And I don't know where you get the idea that cross country athletes count three times. XCC/T&F are allowed 12.6 for men and 18 for women by the NCAA.

The only valid reason for having an outdoor team but not an indoor is cost. The participation still counts the same, as the indoor and outdoor athletes are the same.

Actually we are hanging our hat on prong 2

And I stand by what I said about how the kids count
10-31-2016 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.