Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Official 2016-17 NBA Season Thread
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: The Official 2016-17 NBA Season Thread
The Spurs exploited the Warriors' weakness in the middle. Maybe teams that aren't as good as the Spurs and don't have a coach as good as Pop won't do it as effectively, but it is something the Warriors will have to fix.

Here's a good article explaining it:

https://theringer.com/warriors-spurs-201....wcqb3tb5s

Quote:The Warriors weren’t just replacing Harrison Barnes with Durant; they were also replacing Andrew Bogut with Zaza Pachulia. Bogut never got enough credit for all he did for the Warriors. He was instrumental to what they did on both sides of the ball, and they clearly missed him against the Spurs. Bogut is one of the best rim protectors in the NBA, and he’s also mobile enough to slide his feet and guard in the pick-and-roll. On the offensive end, he’s great at setting screens, passing the ball, and rolling to the rim. The Warriors’ best lineups feature Draymond Green at center, but he can’t play that position for 30 minutes a game over the course of the regular season. They need someone who can hold the fort and eat some minutes there.

The Spurs went at Zaza right away. They put him in pick-and-roll after pick-and-roll, and there was nothing he could do about it. He doesn’t have the foot speed to switch screens and guard smaller players on the perimeter, and he can’t recover to the paint fast enough to bump the ball handler when he’s coming off the screen. Even backing up in order to cut off penetration and wall off the paint isn’t much of an option because he’s not a deterrent at the rim. There are two statistics from last season that should really concern the Warriors: Pachulia’s 0.9 block percentage is nowhere close to Bogut’s 5.8 percent, while Bogut was in the 72nd percentile of all qualifying NBA players in pick-and-roll defense, compared to 48th for Zaza.

Zaza was a decent starter for Dallas last season, but the spotlight in Golden State is much brighter and harsher. His poor pick-and-roll defense wasn’t as big of a deal for the Mavs because opposing offenses had so many different places they could attack. Now that he is playing with Green, Durant, and Klay Thompson, there aren’t as many weak links around him.
10-27-2016 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
12-14-2016 08:30 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/12/15/cr...ect-people

Sager passed away today. I remember watching him on TNT/TBS NBA games for forever....
12-15-2016 09:19 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(12-15-2016 09:19 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.nba.com/article/2016/12/15/cr...ect-people

Sager passed away today. I remember watching him on TNT/TBS NBA games for forever....

Great professional and family man. Very well respected around the NBA. He will be missed.

12-18-2016 12:21 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Cavs pick up Kyle Korver from Atlanta in a trade. Another piece to a repeat championship puzzle? Kyrie and Kevin Love playing better (more consistent and healthy) this year too.
01-09-2017 10:41 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(01-09-2017 10:41 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Cavs pick up Kyle Korver from Atlanta in a trade. Another piece to a repeat championship puzzle? Kyrie and Kevin Love playing better (more consistent and healthy) this year too.

Whelp! Cavs have lost 3 in a row and 4-6 over their last 10 games.
01-26-2017 12:28 PM
Wedge Offline

Whoa.

Quote:Adrian Wojnarowski
‏@WojVerticalNBA

Lakers make Magic Johnson President of Basketball Operations, fire GM Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss, team says.

10:16 AM - 21 Feb 2017
02-21-2017 01:21 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Magic Johnson is one of the most humorous names in all of sports, underrated in that regard.
02-22-2017 05:02 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
This is just so bizarre. I really do think it was time for Kupchak and Jim Buss to go, but to replace them both with novices does not inspire confidence. And Magic wanting to bring in Kobe? Ugh.
02-22-2017 06:30 PM
Wedge Offline

If the idea is that Magic is the public face of management and in charge of recruiting stars to the Lakers, that would work. Certainly a better plan than Jim Buss butting his way into meetings with free agents.

But if the idea is that Magic, without help from an ace GM, can build and maintain the roster as well as Jerry West did, not so much. Management across the NBA as a whole is much more professional now than when West became GM. West could learn the job over a few years while nearly all other teams were run by guys who didn't know what they were doing.

On the other hand, if Magic hires a staff full of smart, experienced people who know their jobs well, then it could work as well as, say, John Elway running the Broncos.
02-22-2017 07:46 PM
Wedge Offline

Looks like not everyone in Lakerland was happy about the change in management...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18816...s-jim-buss

Quote:Los Angeles Lakers president and co-owner Jeanie Buss has thwarted a legal attempt to strip her of her controlling ownership of the team by her brothers Johnny and Jim Buss.

The older Buss brothers had filed a motion to hold a meeting with the Lakers minority owners on March 7 to elect a new board of directors for the Lakers, and replace Jeanie Buss.
Quote:Lawyers for Jeanie Buss challenged that motion in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, by filing a temporary restraining order, saying the older brothers actions were continuing to "breach their duties" by challenging her controlling ownership.
03-03-2017 05:17 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
They wanted to have a vote on the board of directors to remove her, but the trust says she's the controlling owner and also says the controlling owner must sit on the board. Jimmy Buss is a moron. Moreover, the guy actually said publicly that he'd step down if the Lakers didn't get back to being a top team. This stuff inspires no confidence.

And now the Buss Family Christmas is gonna be REALLY awkward...
03-03-2017 05:44 PM
Wedge Offline

Wonder if the brothers' end game is now to argue that the family is so divided about the Lakers that the only solution is to sell the team.

Check Ramona Shelburne's Twitter feed. https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne

She says that one of the brothers' proposed new directors is an executive with AEG. AEG already controls the 2 (of 5) board seats not appointed by the Buss family. Electing the AEG guy proposed by the Buss brothers would give AEG control of the Lakers' board, and presumably the authority to approve a sale of the franchise.
03-03-2017 07:08 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Well, the Hornets managed to choke off making the playoffs this year.... inexcusable for a team with our talent not to be able to make the post season in a completely SUCK Eastern division.

Yeah, we had injuries.... but we also had way to many WTF losses... Better make some good trades and/or draft picks to fix this.
04-08-2017 08:34 PM
Wedge Offline

Playoff matchups. The last one listed figures to be the best first-round series.

Starting Saturday:

Pacers-Cavaliers
Bucks-Raptors
Grizzlies-Spurs
Jazz-Clippers

Starting Sunday:

Hawks-Wizards
Blazers-Warriors
Bulls-Celtics
Thunder-Rockets
04-12-2017 10:25 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-12-2017 10:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Playoff matchups. The last one listed figures to be the best first-round series.

Starting Saturday:

Pacers-Cavaliers
Bucks-Raptors
Grizzlies-Spurs
Jazz-Clippers

Starting Sunday:

Hawks-Wizards
Blazers-Warriors
Bulls-Celtics
Thunder-Rockets

http://www.nba.com/playoffs

1 Warriors vs 8 Trailblazers
4 Clippers vs. 5 Jazz
3 Rockets vs 6 Thunder
2 Spurs vs 7 Grizzlies

1 Celtics vs 8 Bulls
4 Wizards vs 5 Hawks
3 Raptors vs 6 Bucks
2 Cavs vs 7 Pacers

*I'll edit thoughts about the series later on.

@ Bold, I think you are right... unless there is a shocker. Most of these are going 4-1 at best.
04-14-2017 12:23 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

http://www.espn.com/nba/scoreboard

LOL, Jazz and Bucks go up 1-0, and the Cavs needed a miracle to beat the Pacers by 1.
04-16-2017 12:15 AM
Wedge Offline

Jazz-Clippers was a good game. Might be a series worth watching. Clips shouldn't have let that game 1 slip away.
04-16-2017 12:35 PM
Wedge Offline

The Rockets look goooooood.

Celtics got caught napping. When Magic was playing, he liked to say that a playoff series doesn't really start until one team loses at home... Bulls-Celtics has started.
04-16-2017 10:35 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-16-2017 10:35 PM)Wedge Wrote:  The Rockets look goooooood.

Celtics got caught napping. When Magic was playing, he liked to say that a playoff series doesn't really start until one team loses at home... Bulls-Celtics has started.

The Thunder are Westbrook only....

Celtics, not really caught napping as probabbly Thomas still dealing with family issues....we'll see what goes down in game 2.
04-16-2017 11:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.