ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
(05-19-2018 06:59 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 02:12 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 01:56 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 09:03 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 08:43 AM)monarx Wrote:  ? Why is that? The VP cutting reporters again or something?

Yes

Jesus Christ. Where CAN they cut at this point? I know so many reporters and editors and photogs not there anymore, not of their own volition and not for anything they've done wrong. I know the print game is struggling and may be past its event horizon moment, but at some point when do you throw in the towel? I've worked there three times (and gotten laid off all three) so I have a soft spot/codependency thing with them, but I'd rather someone put them out of their misery than have them lurch along this pitifully.

Esikpe & Reece are not 6'10 or 6'11 talented 3 or 2 star freshman players
That was before JJ

All three of our recruits for next year are 3 stars on 24/7?

Well, that's half of it - the easy half at that - but no cigar.
05-19-2018 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2018 08:39 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  ODU coverage is going to take a substantial hit in the next 10 days or so. Fact, not opinion.

Its gonna go from almost nothing to nothing?
05-19-2018 10:01 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2018 02:41 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 01:56 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 09:03 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 08:43 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(05-18-2018 08:39 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  ODU coverage is going to take a substantial hit in the next 10 days or so. Fact, not opinion.

? Why is that? The VP cutting reporters again or something?

Yes

Jesus Christ. Where CAN they cut at this point? I know so many reporters and editors and photogs not there anymore, not of their own volition and not for anything they've done wrong. I know the print game is struggling and may be past its event horizon moment, but at some point when do you throw in the towel? I've worked there three times (and gotten laid off all three) so I have a soft spot/codependency thing with them, but I'd rather someone put them out of their misery than have them lurch along this pitifully.

I know this is totally off topic, but it raises an interesting question for me that you may have some insight to. Where is the disconnect. Surely, there is a market for localized news, especially with sports and local politics/investigative. What do these old print companies need to do to be able to continue to provide the local news that people want. Their are web based news services on a national level everywhere that seem to be successful. Is print the albatross that is killing these companies? Is it outdated business practices? Are they too fat? Do they just not understand how to compete in the digital space? It seems every move The Pilot makes around digital is the wrong one. From layout, to monetization, to app accessibility, the entire thing is a mess. I stopped paying for my online subscription because there is not an enjoyable way for me to consume all of their content. There also needs to be an easy way for me to subscribe. If I went to their site, and instead of getting the annoying pop up telling me to subscribe and go through 10 steps to start said subscription, there was an option to subscribe in one click with Google Pay, Amazon, or Apple Pay and then view the news in the Google News or Apple news app, I would not hesitate to pay them $10 a month. As it is, I refuse to pay for the terrible experience they currently provide.

The Pilot has made the same mistakes that pretty much every legacy print product has made in their attempt to transition to an online-first news-gathering organization.

For starters, they moved too late to make online a priority. By the time they did, it was easy (and getting easier by the day) to access information without paying for it separately. Once that happens, well, good luck unringing that bell. The sad part is (and I can't find the video for it) that the Pilot was among a few newspapers in the 1980s that tested an online news portal concept. So someone knew where this was headed, but doing something with it was easier said than done.

They also, as you point out, made the transition slowly. In fairness, they were in a catch-22 in that print advertising and readership, while dropping steadily, still carried the ball for them. They could have made a better effort to focus on online earlier, but in doing so they would have abandoned a sure thing in exchange for a much-less certain economic future. Online advertising is a tricky buy even for the most established sites; online ads tend to be a lot more obtrusive than their print or TV counterparts and are more likely to be the product of bad actors, which is why we've been creating and improving ad blockers for 20 years now. So they leaned into the sure thing in hopes that the market would stabilize, or that they could at least staunch the bleeding until a manna-from-Heaven solution materialized.

And when they did, it was clumsy. They tried to capitalize on the rise of tablets with Evening Pilot, a weird mix of app-exclusive stories/presentations and access to the normal site. It was a good attempt but readership was way below what was necessary to warrant the money/time/manpower devoted to it, and it died. They tried paywalls, but newspaper paywalls are pretty easy to defeat. It's an industry-wide problem; every attempt to monetize the internet is either ill-conceived or too late to matter.

Timing also accelerated their decline. When the Great Recession hit, newspapers were already losing readers and advertisers. They were hurt both directly and indirectly (car ads used to be a big part of the newspaper advertising portfolio but when you're having your own economic struggles, it's no longer as important). When the economy recovered, advertisers found they could manage their message more cheaply and effectively through direct contact with consumers through their own sites, while classifieds were almost immediately killed by the rise of Craigslist — imagine paying good money on a four-line ad to rent an apartment or sell a used 2010 Camry now?

The parallel I keep coming back to, albeit an imperfect one, is Blockbuster. They were the industry standard for a good long time, but as Redbox and Netflix nibbled at their heels, they didn't move quickly enough. They finally trotted out self-service kiosks well after Redbox established market dominance, and attempts to pivot to DVD-by-mail and streaming services were both ham-handed and hopelessly tardy in the face of Netflix's emerging dominance. They were steadfast in their belief that at the end of the day, people would still choose the tried-and-true of going to the Blockbuster to get a couple of movies and a video game for the weekend instead of depending on those newfangled mail and streaming services. When they realized where this was all going, they tried to correct course, but it's like pulling a U-turn while half your car is already over the cliff.

Newspapers, the Pilot included, are locked in a death spiral, and the worst part is there's no obvious way to save itself that would work. There's no shortage of information and opinion, but the reporting that links them is becoming harder to come by, and fewer people notice or care as they retreat to their ideological ramparts to hear from the sources they trust to tell them what they want to hear. Nobody pays for information anymore, unless they can directly benefit from it (which is why The Wall Street Journal paywall works where other newspapers' do not). All they can do is cut, cut, cut and depend on a dying audience to keep them alive for a few more paychecks, until they can get to retirement. There's still value in reporting and the brand that many newspapers provide, but translating that into money in this day and age is a puzzle that will consume their last breaths.
05-19-2018 11:23 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
One part of your statement struck me differently than you intended. The Blockbuster comparison reminded me that nobody has taken the market that I think newspapers could and should carve out. A place for good local digital content that features down the middle, "just the facts" reporting. I would pay for that, and I think a lot of people would. Sadly, it would require a lot more cutting, starting with print, a massive pivot in how they connect with people, and a serious undertaking to prioritize building an amazing digital user experience. Simple, right? *Sarcasm*

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
05-19-2018 11:39 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2018 11:39 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  One part of your statement struck me differently than you intended. The Blockbuster comparison reminded me that nobody has taken the market that I think newspapers could and should carve out. A place for good local digital content that features down the middle, "just the facts" reporting. I would pay for that, and I think a lot of people would. Sadly, it would require a lot more cutting, starting with print, a massive pivot in how they connect with people, and a serious undertaking to prioritize building an amazing digital user experience. Simple, right? *Sarcasm*

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think the Pilot actually does a fairly decent job at that. The problem they, and almost all legacy publications, have is that people often view everything they do through the prism of the editorial board's edicts. If the ed board leans left or right, so too do the reporters. And if not the ed board, then the featured columnists. People who think the Pilot is liberal trash often point to the editorials. People who think the Pilot is conservative trash often pointed to Kerry Dougherty (well, not anymore because she's gone too, but you know where I'm coming from).

Plus at this point, the public square has become so balkanized that I'm not sure it's possible for any journalism venture, centuries old and showroom-floor new alike, to be considered "unbiased" by large swaths of the public. We'll always be looking for that gotcha moment, a story we think is biased or an owner that contributed to a cause we don't like, as the thread we can pull to unravel the whole mess. That's where we are these days.

The other problem is that despite what you say — and I have no reason to doubt you personally on this point — people generally don't want to pay for news. Information wants to be free. The newspapers held a decided advantage over TV and radio because of the reusability of their product — newspapers can be read over and over in a day, while a radio or TV report is limited and can't be repeated on demand easily. But now everyone has fast internet access that allows them countless legitimate news sources, aggregators, commentary sites that react to others' reporting and message boards that disseminate the news secondhand.

Like this board. Even though the mods do a good job of ensuring that the intellectual property of news gatherers are protected by removing full copies of their stories, pretty much everything related to ODU sports will find its way here sooner rather than later. And why pay, say, $10 a month for the Pilot or Daily Press if the news they cover is going to be talked about here or places like here? Most people pay a decent monthly sum to have internet access. It's like going to Busch Gardens — they're already paying $80 to enter the park; they aren't going to want to pay another $10 to ride the Loch Ness Monster.

In one sense, you're right — in theory, at least, the Pilot or a newspaper like it should just rip the band-aid off all at once and gut out the hard times that follow in an effort to remain relevant in the future. But the cuts to make it happen would be so severe that inevitably it would severely hinder their ability to do the thing they're trying to do.
05-19-2018 02:52 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
LOL. When your recruiting thread turns into a discussion about newspapers at the end of the Spring signing period, that speak volumes. ..
05-19-2018 02:54 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(05-19-2018 02:54 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  LOL. When your recruiting thread turns into a discussion about newspapers at the end of the Spring signing period, that speak volumes. ..

Well to be fair.........both entities are being run into the ground by inept leadership and an inability to adapt so I can see how they are both being discussed in the same thread.

Neither one has anything noteworthy or groundbreaking to report and so here we are.
05-19-2018 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

So... Ed's "next week" has come to an end. Any word? (Any hope?)
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2018 06:42 PM by ODUBB35.)
05-19-2018 06:42 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Wonder if the staff is considering having Jarvis Vaughan join the team next year instead of prepping.
05-19-2018 07:26 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
Please let us land our xfer big soon. I have confidence in our freshmen bigs - and I’m excited for their opportunity - but they are going to need to come off the bench. Haynes substantially improved in one year, and it appears we are going to need the same from Carver next season. Haynes surprised me this past year and I’m hoping Carver will do the same. He just needs to get his confidence, and then fulfill his potential.
05-19-2018 08:12 PM
Blue Moon Rising Offline
Bench Warmer

Going to be a LONG season! If I were Caver and Stith I would have followed Porter!!!
05-20-2018 10:29 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2018 10:29 AM)Blue Moon Rising Wrote:  Going to be a LONG season! If I were Caver and Stith I would have followed Porter!!!

Good thing they arent quitters.
05-20-2018 10:45 AM
mac Offline
All American

Since we don’t really get much coverage from the press, for all we know there is a visitor today since it’s the weekend . I will say again, I’m sure we will know our full squad by early June if not before. One or two bigs would not surprise me.
05-20-2018 11:11 AM
Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
We need to deploy Baze in the Atlanta area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-20-2018 11:23 AM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(05-20-2018 11:11 AM)mac Wrote:  Since we don’t really get much coverage from the press, for all we know there is a visitor today since it’s the weekend . I will say again, I’m sure we will know our full squad by early June if not before. One or two bigs would not surprise me.

It’s a dead period. You won’t be hearing ****
05-20-2018 03:37 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(05-20-2018 10:45 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-20-2018 10:29 AM)Blue Moon Rising Wrote:  Going to be a LONG season! If I were Caver and Stith I would have followed Porter!!!

04-cheers
05-20-2018 04:42 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2018 04:42 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(05-20-2018 10:45 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

04-cheers

They also will go their entire careers without playing in the NCAA tourney unlike porter but hey, potato-tomato.
05-20-2018 05:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(05-20-2018 11:11 AM)mac Wrote:  Since we don’t really get much coverage from the press, for all we know there is a visitor today since it’s the weekend . I will say again, I’m sure we will know our full squad by early June if not before. One or two bigs would not surprise me.

Thank you for the insight. Looking forward to knowing our full squad for the 2018/19 season soon. Go Monarchs!!!
05-20-2018 06:48 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2018 06:48 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

Thank you for the insight. Looking forward to knowing our full squad for the 2018/19 season soon. Go Monarchs!!!

What was the insight?
05-20-2018 09:49 PM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

(05-20-2018 09:49 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(05-20-2018 06:48 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

What was the insight?

Read that last night and was wondering the same thing.
05-21-2018 06:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.