ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
(03-23-2018 09:58 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Yeah, that response didn't even come close to replying to the question Giles. You didn't have the name of a much stronger defensive player that got left behind on the bench to play a stronger offensive player in his place. I'm not sure there are any such people because Jeff is a defense first coach. That's who he is. There is a reason that Baker and Taylor started and played so many minutes for Jeff while scoring so little.

I can actually think of a player that would be a good fit for the answer to the question, but it didn't happen under Jeff. It was under coach Capel. I don't remember the name of the kid, but he was a small point guard that Capel once described as being like an ant at a picnic. He came off the bench and was very good at getting steals and disrupting the other point guard.

Could be getting my years mixed up but was that Duffy Samuels? Wasn't real small but a hell of a disruptor.
03-23-2018 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(03-23-2018 11:27 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 09:58 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Yeah, that response didn't even come close to replying to the question Giles. You didn't have the name of a much stronger defensive player that got left behind on the bench to play a stronger offensive player in his place. I'm not sure there are any such people because Jeff is a defense first coach. That's who he is. There is a reason that Baker and Taylor started and played so many minutes for Jeff while scoring so little.

I can actually think of a player that would be a good fit for the answer to the question, but it didn't happen under Jeff. It was under coach Capel. I don't remember the name of the kid, but he was a small point guard that Capel once described as being like an ant at a picnic. He came off the bench and was very good at getting steals and disrupting the other point guard.

Could be getting my years mixed up but was that Duffy Samuels? Wasn't real small but a hell of a disruptor.

Roster

Player Class Pos Height Summary
Petey Sessoms SR F 6-7 22.1 Pts, 8.4 Reb, 1.8 Ast
Mike Jones SR G 16.5 Pts, 3.8 Reb, 2.1 Ast
Mario Mullen JR F 6-6 12.9 Pts, 5.7 Reb, 2.0 Ast
David Harvey SR C 6-8 7.3 Pts, 5.9 Reb, 0.8 Ast
E.J. Sherod SO G 6-4 5.1 Pts, 2.7 Reb, 1.5 Ast
Duffy Samuels JR G 5-9 4.1 Pts, 1.2 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Brion Dunlap FR G 4.1 Pts, 1.9 Reb, 5.8 Ast
Derrick Parker JR C 6-10 2.5 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Odell Hodge JR F 6-9 13.0 Pts, 7.3 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Mark Johnson SO G 6-5 1.5 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Corey Parker JR F 0.2 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.0 Ast
03-23-2018 11:51 AM
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Duffy was tiny, what are ya'll talking about? But Duffy was FIERCE! DS was the second best defensive guard I've seen at ODU. Behind only the amazing Brandon "mad dog" Johnson !

http://articles.dailypress.com/1995-03-1...ampionship

Dunlap, a 5-foot-11 freshman from Woodbridge, is more comfortable than Samuels operating out of a half-court offense and running when the opportunity arises. The 5-8 Samuels is a defensive nightmare because of his quickness and thrives with the pedal pushed to the floor.
03-23-2018 01:37 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(03-23-2018 10:10 AM)monarx Wrote:  

Are you referring to Duffey Samuels? He was a good player.

Yes. That is the guy I was thinking of, and he was a good player, especially on the defensive end.
03-23-2018 02:01 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2018 11:27 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  

Yes, Duffy was the guy I had in mind. He was on the small side of the ledger though for a basketball player - less than 6'-0" tall, and a pesky defender.
03-23-2018 02:02 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2018 01:37 PM)mac Wrote:  Duffy was tiny, what are ya'll talking about? But Duffy was FIERCE! DS was the second best defensive guard I've seen at ODU. Behind only the amazing Brandon "mad dog" Johnson !

http://articles.dailypress.com/1995-03-1...ampionship

Dunlap, a 5-foot-11 freshman from Woodbridge, is more comfortable than Samuels operating out of a half-court offense and running when the opportunity arises. The 5-8 Samuels is a defensive nightmare because of his quickness and thrives with the pedal pushed to the floor.

I agree that those two were among ODU's best ever defensive guards Mac. I would have to strongly consider Kent before putting any kind of order (1,2,3, etc.) in there though. As far as just point guards goes though, Brandon and Duffy might be 1 & 2 on the list without putting too much thought into it.
03-23-2018 02:06 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Duffy was and still is one of my favorite Monarchs. Ferocious stopper. He could turn a guard over almost every trip down court. Absolutely max effort .
03-23-2018 02:41 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Keith Thomas was a stud defender too. Probably the most physical we've had and we needed that against the guard talent ODU faced in the early to mid 80s where VCU, UNCC, USF, WKU and UAB were all recruiting at a very high level.

Hmm...now that I think about it, Mark Davis played some 2 as well and some of us know how the NBA viewed his defense. So strong that he was designated to guard Michael Jordan and I'll say that didn't end quite too well (some of you may know what I'm referring to). Davis was a little more like Kent in that a lot of his defense was played above the rim but a true athlete from the 2 and 3.
03-23-2018 03:08 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

The Latest On Jarvis Vaughan

https://www.newsleader.com/story/sports/...453154002/

Quote:Vaughan has verbally committed to play at Old Dominion University next year, but that’s not a definite yet. He hasn’t signed, and there has been talk of attending a prep school for a year before heading to the Norfolk school.

A lot will be determined over the next two months. Vaughan is set to take his SATs in May, and said he’s committed to studying hard so he does well.

“It will determine where my future lies,” he said.

ODU is still very much in the picture, Vaughan said. He even got some extra motivation to do well on his SATs so he can play for the Monarchs next year. That motivation came while watching a former teammate.

Here's hoping he does well on the SATs so that he doesn't get "Ramone Snowden-ed".
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2018 03:29 PM by ODUBB35.)
03-23-2018 03:27 PM
mac Offline
All American

Hope he can get his grades up. Sounds like he could use another year to get ready for college to me.
03-23-2018 03:36 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Please get the required score because I think he is an underrated prospect.
03-23-2018 04:12 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(03-23-2018 04:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Please get the required score because I think he is an underrated prospect.

Yes!!!!
03-23-2018 07:26 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

It does not take much intelligence at all to get the minimum score, whatever it is. Jesus.
03-23-2018 11:57 PM
mac Offline
All American

Thought we wanted a taller guy for next year. If we get him that means we are done. He needs another year it sounds like to get ready for college. Fork Union would get him right!
03-25-2018 06:55 AM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(03-25-2018 06:55 AM)mac Wrote:  Thought we wanted a taller guy for next year. If we get him that means we are done. He needs another year it sounds like to get ready for college. Fork Union would get him right!

Mac, I am usually on your side but Vaughan is 6'8", averaged 18 and 11 and 6 blocks. 1st team all state. It might be a good move to get him in our program.
03-25-2018 07:35 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Get him now before his stock goes up and he forgets all about us.
03-25-2018 08:20 AM
mac Offline
All American

All true but did you see the photos of who he was playing? They all looked to be six foot white guys! Anyway, if he comes next year, there won’t be a graduate transfer coming. His stats are great I know. I figure there is a reason the coaches announced he was going the prep school route.
03-25-2018 08:52 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2018 08:52 AM)mac Wrote:  All true but did you see the photos of who he was playing? They all looked to be six foot white guys! Anyway, if he comes next year, there won’t be a graduate transfer coming. His stats are great I know. I figure there is a reason the coaches announced he was going the prep school route.

ODU has lost a player or two during the spring/summer after every season it seems under Jones so I wouldn't count on that not happening this season. It could open up another scholarship or two if it happens yet again.
03-25-2018 09:55 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Vaughan committed a long time ago. The coaches never announced he was going prep school to my recollection. Hes trying to get the grades to come here next year. The dude would be a very valuable member of the team and I believe we would have 1 more spot if needed.
03-25-2018 10:32 AM
mac Offline
All American

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...66dfe.html

the pilot wot let me read it. what does it say?
03-25-2018 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.