WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cooley Law School
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: Cooley Law School
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 06:55 PM by toddjnsn.)
08-21-2015 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(08-20-2015 10:20 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  
(08-19-2015 12:46 PM)brovol Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 03:58 PM)Bronco68 Wrote:  If you go back many years when the med school was announced, studies showed that over the next 20 years the current med schools could not meet the demand and shortage and where not planning to expand enrollment. This left the door open for others to fill the need. The MSU Kalamazoo clinic (on WMU's East campus) and residency programs in Kalamazoo at Bronson and Borgess hospitals were transferred to WMU lock stock and barrel. So those issues were resolved, if any. New hospitals can offer residency programs which improves the local service capability of those facilities.

The opposite problem with the law school is a decline in demand and need. So rather than start a new law school they went the route of affiliating with an established school recognizing the need for downsizing, but via the affiliation with WMU the law school may gain traction to survive the changing condition. This is similar to MSU acquiring the old Detroit School of Law about 20 years ago and moving it to East Lansing and continuing to operate it as an independent school just as Cooley will remain independent under WMU.

In both cases no tax payer money is at risk, but region can offer medical or law school programs that can benefit not only Michigan but the US. WMU and others (especially U of M) take in out of state students, but Michigan than underwrites the cost for them and vice versus with other states.

WMU has the top paper science program in the country, but industry has left the state, do we eliminate a top program because of that? No.
I graduated Detroit college of law right when decisions were being made to go to MSU. That was at time when many DCL board members were passionate MSU alumni, and they chose that over Oakland university, which would have been a much better option. It was supposed to remain autonomous from MSU, but soon became swallowed by the big school, and lost what made DCL so great at training young litigators. But I digress.....

The Cooley affiliation is a very poor choice. Msu Grabbing DCL was smart at the time because DCL had an excellent reputation. Cooley has struggled in that department, and I don't think WMU has the capacity to change that.

The med School may be different. I believe those running the med school have a solid reputation, and there is a strong backing to establish a very high quality med school, which will distinguish itself as an option along the lines of Wayne state, which is likewise and excellent med school.

I would send my kid to the med school, but probably not the law school. Hope I haven't offended many.

My mom graduated from Cooley Law School and I'll put her up against any comparable attorney in her specialty-even though she's 81 and still practicing. An education is what you make of it-I've known professionals who went to top schools and didn't learn CHIT and those who went to less renowned schools and excelled in their fields.

Your comments about Cooley Law School show you really don't know much about them, or appreciate my comments above. You probably buy your clothes based on whatever label is stitched on them.

To the contrary phil, I am enormously familiar with the quality of litigator Cooley has been producing for many years. I am far less familiar with how they did during the schools earlier years, which I assume is when mom graduated, and I was hesitant to comment due to the likelihood that someone would be offended by my assessment. But the fact of the matter is that Cooley spits out more Michigan lawyers that the rest combined. It has had an open admissions policy, and has been a landing spot for many who were without other options. It's teaching methods have drifted from traditional Socratic, and focus seems to be passing the bar rather than understanding fundamental concepts and principles, and yet it has always still struggled with bar exam passage rates regardless.

I am a captive audience observer of lawyers from all of the schools. I see the quality of work product and litigation skills. Many Cooley lawyers are excellent. Too many are far less than that.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 07:20 AM by brovol.)
08-22-2015 07:13 AM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Cooley recently ranked as one of the worst law schools.

I was happy about the partnership because I figured WMU might be able to turn Cooley around but doesn't seem like it's happening yet.
04-17-2018 06:59 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
(04-17-2018 06:59 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Cooley recently ranked as one of the worst law schools.

I was happy about the partnership because I figured WMU might be able to turn Cooley around but doesn't seem like it's happening yet.

Cooley is awful. It would need a complete tear-down to turn it around, and maybe not even then because the name has been dragged through the mud for so long.

Would have been easier to start a law school from scratch, or mostly scratch, like we did with the med school. Get some big name alumni to drop some coin, same the school after them...and there ya go.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018 08:07 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
04-17-2018 08:05 PM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
(04-17-2018 06:59 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Cooley recently ranked as one of the worst law schools.

I think this is expected. If (emphasizing if) things get turned around, it will take time.

I personally know two grads from Cooley. One has a made a great living and had no regrets going to Cooley. Some people can make it with the education but it certainly has issues that need addressing.

Time will tell if this was a good long-term project.
04-18-2018 09:50 AM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(04-17-2018 08:05 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Cooley is awful. It would need a complete tear-down to turn it around, and maybe not even then because the name has been dragged through the mud for so long.

(04-18-2018 09:50 AM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  I personally know two grads from Cooley. One has a made a great living and had no regrets going to Cooley.

I'm not a fan of logging into Wikipedia and seeing 'WMU Cooley Law School is rated one of the worst law schools in the nation.'

Is it the high admittance rate? If they don't want to fix this, then WMU/Cooley needs to come out and say 'we believe people who want a shot at law school should have it.'

Is it the low BAR pass rate? Why could this be? Is it because Cooley isn't preparing them enough or is it because of the high admittance rate? If it's the high admittance rate, then they need to come out and say 'not everyone will make it.' If it's them not preparing them enough, then that's all internal and they need to make sure their hiring good instructors - good teachers and not just good professors.

Is it the high unemployment rate for grads? This one is harder for WMU/Cooley to fix and isn't necessarily their fault.

I think improving the law school should be our president's priority.
04-18-2018 04:02 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

Do we regret acquiring Cooley yet? Holy smokes.

Trump's fixer, aka hush money pusher, is a Cooley grad!!!!

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor...523609002/
04-18-2018 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goldsworth Offline
1st String

(04-18-2018 06:04 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  Do we regret acquiring Cooley yet? Holy smokes.

John Engler interim president msu is a Cooley Law graduate
04-19-2018 03:12 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

Wasn't it just a 10 year deal. Maybe we can get out in 6 years if it isn't helping our brand.
04-19-2018 08:28 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(04-19-2018 03:12 AM)goldsworth Wrote:  
(04-18-2018 06:04 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  Do we regret acquiring Cooley yet? Holy smokes.

John Engler interim president msu is a Cooley Law graduate

?!?!

Well, the State of Michigan certainly did better when Engler was Governor than under Jennifer Granholm, who graduated from Harvard Law. And I voted for Granholm, twice!
04-19-2018 09:59 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(04-19-2018 09:59 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Well, the State of Michigan certainly did better when Engler was Governor than under Jennifer Granholm, who graduated from Harvard Law. And I voted for Granholm, twice!

Depends on how you're measuring.
04-19-2018 11:30 AM
GullLake Offline

(04-19-2018 11:30 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 09:59 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Well, the State of Michigan certainly did better when Engler was Governor than under Jennifer Granholm, who graduated from Harvard Law. And I voted for Granholm, twice!

Depends on how you're measuring.

Pretty much by any objective, non-partisan, measure.

That said, my point is where someone got their degree doesn't mean much. It is how they perform.

With the partisan-slappy logic spewed by the previous two posters, someone with a degree from WMU would be hopelessly noncompetitive with a U-M grad. BS! We KNOW that not to be true.

No reason why a Cooley grad can't be competent and successful.

Go Broncos!
04-19-2018 11:37 AM
ChipfanII Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CMU
WMU gets a mention at the 1:10 mark.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sam...426dab5338
04-19-2018 12:29 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(04-19-2018 12:29 PM)ChipfanII Wrote:  WMU gets a mention at the 1:10 mark.

That's a great look for us on national TV and in national publications.

How embarrassing.
04-19-2018 12:42 PM
GullLake Offline

(04-19-2018 12:42 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  

How embarrassing.

Unfortunate.

At least Samantha Bee has zero credibility.
04-19-2018 01:04 PM
Fthechips Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Mich
(04-19-2018 12:42 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  

How embarrassing.

Classic WMU
04-20-2018 12:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.