paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
(06-08-2016 05:06 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 11:38 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 07:44 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 05:05 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 02:29 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  There is ZERO chance he redshirts with the only other point guard option being caver.

No, we need him.

Talley, Stith and green should make quite a back court with baker and caver off the bench.

Travis Fields is also a very viable option this season at point guard if he doesn't end up red shirting.
Maybe it is just me, but Im hoping for 0 meaningful walk on minutes next season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's just you. Fields is a good player and I would not be surprised if he doesn't end up getting a scholarship this year if we have one unused come October. Also, what if one or both of the Stith brothers are not on scholarship but suited up as a walk on?
So Fields is better than Green? Why did Green get an offer (among others) and Fields didn't? The Stiths have nothing to do with this.

So far you are the only one who has suggested Fields is better than Green. Green looks to be a gifted talent, but could definitely use some added strength to do battle in DI.
The question is do you have enough depth in Caver, Haynes, and Fields to red shirt him and keep him in the gym or do you forgo what could be a great '20-21 season. A fifth year from a player like that might be much more valuable than a first year.
06-08-2016 06:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-08-2016 06:19 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 05:05 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Travis Fields is also a very viable option this season at point guard if he doesn't end up red shirting.
Maybe it is just me, but Im hoping for 0 meaningful walk on minutes next season.

It's just you. Fields is a good player and I would not be surprised if he doesn't end up getting a scholarship this year if we have one unused come October. Also, what if one or both of the Stith brothers are not on scholarship but suited up as a walk on?
So Fields is better than Green? Why did Green get an offer (among others) and Fields didn't? The Stiths have nothing to do with this.

So far you are the only one who has suggested Fields is better than Green. Green looks to be a gifted talent, but could definitely use some added strength to do battle in DI.
The question is do you have enough depth in Caver, Haynes, and Fields to red shirt him and keep him in the gym or do you forgo what could be a great '20-21 season. A fifth year from a player like that might be much more valuable than a first year.

When you are suggesting Green redshirt and Fields play, you are suggesting Fields is better than Green, IMO. I do get your theory of saving him for 5 years down the road, but you have to play your best players, especially someone of Green's talent that gets high major interest and top 25 offers, if you want to keep landing them. And as I said earlier, we only get 2 years with the Stith brothers on the court at the same time. We need to maximize the talent around them and let the story write itself... then take advantage of the success for future recruiting.
06-08-2016 07:34 AM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

Someone, who probably has more insight, answer me this; who was the last player JJ actually redshirted? I'm not talking about transfers and/or guys who have to sit out a year for one reason or the other...but someone JJ has said "I'm intentionally sitting this person out a year to redshirt." I know for a fact that he has yet to do this at ODU, but I was unaware of his previous posts. I gather he is the opposite of BT in this regards, and you will see both in jerseys potentially playing right away.
06-08-2016 08:05 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2016 05:05 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 02:29 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  There is ZERO chance he redshirts with the only other point guard option being caver.

No, we need him.

Talley, Stith and green should make quite a back court with baker and caver off the bench.

Travis Fields is also a very viable option this season at point guard if he doesn't end up red shirting.

Where did I say that Fields is better than Green? I didn't. For the record, I don't know which of those two will turn out to be the better player, or that both will even end up playing point guard.

For you to say, "Maybe it is just me, but Im hoping for 0 meaningful walk on minutes next season.", and then say, "The Stiths have nothing to do with this." is simply something no one on here would agree with IF one or both of the Stiths are not on the team under scholarship. Obviously both of them are being counted on heavily the next couple of seasons.
06-08-2016 08:06 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-08-2016 08:05 AM)Nukesquad Wrote:  Someone, who probably has more insight, answer me this; who was the last player JJ actually redshirted? I'm not talking about transfers and/or guys who have to sit out a year for one reason or the other...but someone JJ has said "I'm intentionally sitting this person out a year to redshirt." I know for a fact that he has yet to do this at ODU, but I was unaware of his previous posts. I gather he is the opposite of BT in this regards, and you will see both in jerseys potentially playing right away.

Didn't Talley redshirt?
06-08-2016 08:10 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

The Stith brothers will be WINO's. A new acronym meaning walk on in name only.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 08:20 AM by paintedblue2.)
06-08-2016 08:20 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-08-2016 08:06 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 05:05 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Travis Fields is also a very viable option this season at point guard if he doesn't end up red shirting.

Where did I say that Fields is better than Green? I didn't. For the record, I don't know which of those two will turn out to be the better player, or that both will even end up playing point guard.

For you to say, "Maybe it is just me, but Im hoping for 0 meaningful walk on minutes next season.", and then say, "The Stiths have nothing to do with this." is simply something no one on here would agree with IF one or both of the Stiths are not on the team under scholarship. Obviously both of them are being counted on heavily the next couple of seasons.

How the Stiths' college is paid for is immaterial to this discussion. They are scholarship athletes whose dad happens to be an assistant coach. Brandan had offers from ECU, Charlotte, and VCU with interest from Duke, Richmond, UVA, and Wake Forest. BJ committed to UVA when he was a sophomore in high school. Both would have a free ride just anywhere in the country if they decided to transfer tomorrow. Your attempt to compare them to Travis Fields, Stephen Vassor, Martin Shaw, and Nik Biberaj only serves as a distraction to the discussion. If Fields is the next Steph Curry or even Trey Freeman, I'll be happy to eat crow. While that does happen, chances are very low and I'm just not counting on it.
06-08-2016 08:21 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2016 10:31 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 05:03 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 02:34 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  He red shirts...we have Caver, Haynes and Fields. We are fine at PG. Haynes is a load...big strong athletic guard that can play the 1,2,3. Green needs to mature physically.

I don't think Haynes is a point guard and fields is a walk on.

I highly doubt jones redshirts a player of greens quality when we are trying to make the NCAA tourney, especially after tre Evans backed out.

You have not seen Haynes play. I have many times. The kid is more than capable of handling the PG spot. Fields is a better version on Brandon Johnson. The kid is a player. We are fine at PG. The Only way Green does not redshirt is if Jones thinks he needs to add more scoring from the 2 guard spot.

I think we might be asking a bit much to say right now that Fields is a better Brandon Johnson.
06-08-2016 08:31 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-08-2016 08:05 AM)Nukesquad Wrote:  Someone, who probably has more insight, answer me this; who was the last player JJ actually redshirted? I'm not talking about transfers and/or guys who have to sit out a year for one reason or the other...but someone JJ has said "I'm intentionally sitting this person out a year to redshirt." I know for a fact that he has yet to do this at ODU, but I was unaware of his previous posts. I gather he is the opposite of BT in this regards, and you will see both in jerseys potentially playing right away.

Didn't Carver RS last year?
06-08-2016 08:33 AM
mac Offline
All American

Just a thought. Perhaps the coaches won't be using Green as a point guard but as a two guard. In that case, we have a fairly stocked roster and BJ is gonna get many of the minutes. They love this kid and if they think he needs to get stronger, they should sure know.They said this about Talley and red-shirted him. He sure looked mighty fine last year as a red-shirt freshman.

I sure don't talk with the coaches but Mr. Big Blue does and has for years. I would never discount anything he says on this board.

Yes, Talley and Carver both Red-shirted last year.
06-08-2016 08:38 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Carver and Talley both redshirted. In fact, Caver is the only true frosh to play under Jones.
06-08-2016 08:43 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-08-2016 08:38 AM)mac Wrote:  Just a thought. Perhaps the coaches won't be using Green as a point guard but as a two guard. In that case, we have a fairly stocked roster and BJ is gonna get many of the minutes. They love this kid and if they think he needs to get stronger, they should sure know.They said this about Talley and red-shirted him. He sure looked mighty fine last year as a red-shirt freshman.

I sure don't talk with the coaches but Mr. Big Blue does and has for years. I would never discount anything he says on this board.

I think you have to spread the talent around. The most raw talent on this team are the 2 Stiths, Talley, and Green. In order for them to be on the court at the same time, BJ and Green cannot both be two-guards and I don't believe Green committed here over Cincinnati to sit behind BJ for 3 years. He is going to be a PG, IMO, backing up Caver up until (if) he develops into the starter. The linup to take this program to the next level is Green/Stith/Talley/Kah/Stith
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 08:53 AM by EverRespect.)
06-08-2016 08:52 AM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(06-08-2016 08:20 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  The Stith brothers will be WINO's. A new acronym meaning walk on in name only.

I can't wait until the Stith discussion is over. I don't care about nomenclature, but they are NOT walk-ons. They are is a different situation due to their family situation. At any other school/other situation they are full scholarship kids, so they shouldn't be a reference point to other kids walking on or receiving a scholarship. All signs lead us to assume that the Stith family isn't in need of scholarships to due finances. I believe that if the coaching staff thinks they can use the scholarship to get someone else, Coach Stith is willing to help any way they can. However, in the situation where they have a remaining scholarship that they know they're not going to use, you will see the Stith kids on scholarship aide.
06-08-2016 09:07 AM
mac Offline
All American

Green will not be a point guard.IMO.
06-08-2016 09:10 AM
EverydayInVA Offline
Bench Warmer

Wow, reading comprehension is in off season form huh?

I would call Fields a walk-on in name only as well, when is a state player of the year ever a walk on anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how JJ pulled that off. It also tells me the kid is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team. He obviously wants to be at ODU. I wouldn't expect him to be a walk on long, like others have said the kid's winner.

Green is definitely the more talented of the two, but a PG from day one? I seriously doubt it, big difference playing PG in HS and doing it in college. I have no doubt he can develop into one, but do any of you remember a Freshman coming in and moving into the PG position? Some of you act like a PG only brings the ball up the court, I guess that's why so many discounted Darius James value when he was playing for ODU. If Fields can just be as good as DJ, he'd be one hell of a back up PG.
06-08-2016 09:12 AM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(06-08-2016 08:52 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 08:38 AM)mac Wrote:  Just a thought. Perhaps the coaches won't be using Green as a point guard but as a two guard. In that case, we have a fairly stocked roster and BJ is gonna get many of the minutes. They love this kid and if they think he needs to get stronger, they should sure know.They said this about Talley and red-shirted him. He sure looked mighty fine last year as a red-shirt freshman.

I think you have to spread the talent around. The most raw talent on this team are the 2 Stiths, Talley, and Green. In order for them to be on the court at the same time, BJ and Green cannot both be two-guards and I don't believe Green committed here over Cincinnati to sit behind BJ for 3 years. He is going to be a PG, IMO, backing up Caver up until (if) he develops into the starter. The linup to take this program to the next level is Green/Stith/Talley/Kah/Stith

That's bold. 3 of the 5 people you have listed you have NEVER seen play in a collegiate game (BJ didn't get a lot of minutes at UVA).
06-08-2016 09:21 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

You forgot Trey Porter,a 6-210, shot-blocking center who will just be a soph this year and played a bunch for GMU as a frosh. I believe he's very much in the mix this year and beyond.
06-08-2016 09:26 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-08-2016 09:12 AM)EverydayInVA Wrote:  Wow, reading comprehension is in off season form huh?

I would call Fields a walk-on in name only as well, when is a state player of the year ever a walk on anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how JJ pulled that off. It also tells me the kid is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team. He obviously wants to be at ODU. I wouldn't expect him to be a walk on long, like others have said the kid's winner.

Green is definitely the more talented of the two, but a PG from day one? I seriously doubt it, big difference playing PG in HS and doing it in college. I have no doubt he can develop into one, but do any of you remember a Freshman coming in and moving into the PG position? Some of you act like a PG only brings the ball up the court, I guess that's why so many discounted Darius James value when he was playing for ODU. If Fields can just be as good as DJ, he'd be one hell of a back up PG.

Caver played PG in his first year last year. I have no doubt Green will as well. That is where he is most likely to get playing time and most likely to come sooner rather than later. As I said, he didn't commit to ODU to sit behind BJ for 3 years. The only caveat is if it turns out the BJ himself isn't very good. But if that is the case, the question of what we do with Green next season will be the least of our concerns.
06-08-2016 10:15 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

(06-08-2016 09:12 AM)EverydayInVA Wrote:  Wow, reading comprehension is in off season form huh?

Drew Williamson and Darius James both started as freshman PGs.
06-08-2016 10:17 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-08-2016 09:21 AM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

That's bold. 3 of the 5 people you have listed you have NEVER seen play in a collegiate game (BJ didn't get a lot of minutes at UVA).

Not really bold, we are talking raw talent. It could come to pass that the 3 don't pan out, but those 5 are the people on our team that others wanted and they decided to come here.
06-08-2016 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.