ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
I guess this thread got started because posters got tired of the FIRE OFFENSIVE STAFF, BENTLEY STINKS, O LINE INCOMPETENT, WILDER CAN'T COACH threads!!
10-15-2015 05:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

(10-15-2015 05:36 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  I guess this thread got started because posters got tired of the FIRE OFFENSIVE STAFF, BENTLEY STINKS, O LINE INCOMPETENT, WILDER CAN'T COACH threads!!

huh....? you lost me there...
10-15-2015 05:47 PM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(10-15-2015 05:36 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  I guess this thread got started because posters got tired of the FIRE OFFENSIVE STAFF, BENTLEY STINKS, O LINE INCOMPETENT, WILDER CAN'T COACH threads!!

No this got started December of last year. Just because we like to discuss (an be excited about) basketball doesn't automatically mean that we are "over" football, or have counted them out. I, for one, will be there (loudly) cheering them this Saturday.
10-15-2015 05:50 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

Tongue in cheek, guys! Just a dig at what seems like people looking for a reason to berate a team, coach, recruiting, etc. The reference was to the myriad of FB melt-down threads.
10-15-2015 06:38 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
(10-15-2015 03:30 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  OK, I'm a glutton for punishment so take your best shot. Am I the only one even slightly concerned that JJ has not really closed the sale on many high school recruits? So far he seems to be making a living off of transfers. Yes, he's signed a couple, and they may be good players, but I still get the feeling he's whiffing an awful lot on kids we should be signing.
Fire away!!

I am a little concerned, but he has managed to keep putting solid pieces together. I will reserve judgment until after Trey and Aaron are gone. These days in college hoops, the transfer market is huge, so if he can keep doing well there, I think you can build a program off of it. Fred Hoiberg sure did at Iowa State, and others have done well going that route as well.
10-15-2015 06:48 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2015 04:03 PM)monarx Wrote:  It is odd, but he certainly keeps coming through at the last minute with JUCOs and transfers. Some of which appear to be very good. By all reports Caver is going to be very good and he's a freshman. So, I do find it strange, but as long as he keeps bringing in enough talent to be a top 50-100 team most years I'm not going to complain. And that seems to be happening. Just keep winning with the guys we get.

Top 50-100 is not good enough. Our good years should be 30 to 40 and rebuilding years 60 to 70. 50 to 100 is status quo, we have far more potential than that.
10-15-2015 06:50 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2015 05:30 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  I kinda bristle at "should be signing". JJ can put the best foot forward and present everything the program has past-present-and-future, but ultimately the kids make the decision and no one knows their thoughts except them. JJ is doing a fine job in my opinion. I was one of the most sardonic posters on here when he got hired, but the man has proved time and time again that I was wrong and that he was the right man for the job. He's got my vote.

This is ridiculous. There is a reason some coaches are better recruiters than others. The way you present it, there is no need for a recruiting budget because handing flyers out to players with a few bullet points is all the coaches can do.
10-15-2015 06:52 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

As was mentioned, he just landed Xavier Green, who by most accounts, was his top priority in the HS ranks. He landed Caver last year, who by most accounts, is a steal for us. Sure, he's also landed a bunch of transfers, but there aren't many high school players out there better than the Stith boys, and there aren't many high school bigs out there better than Porter and Colbert who would be available to us. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm thrilled with the roster he's building.
10-15-2015 07:24 PM
RoanokeMonarch Offline
1st String

(10-15-2015 07:24 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  As was mentioned, he just landed Xavier Green, who by most accounts, was his top priority in the HS ranks. He landed Caver last year, who by most accounts, is a steal for us. Sure, he's also landed a bunch of transfers, but there aren't many high school players out there better than the Stith boys, and there aren't many high school bigs out there better than Porter and Colbert who would be available to us. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm thrilled with the roster he's building.

+1000 04-cheers
10-15-2015 07:32 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-15-2015 07:24 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  As was mentioned, he just landed Xavier Green, who by most accounts, was his top priority in the HS ranks. He landed Caver last year, who by most accounts, is a steal for us. Sure, he's also landed a bunch of transfers, but there aren't many high school players out there better than the Stith boys, and there aren't many high school bigs out there better than Porter and Colbert who would be available to us. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm thrilled with the roster he's building.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with this one.

You bring in talent where you can get it. There's no doubt jones has brought in legit mid to high major talent to fill this roster out along with some nice role players.

Yes, I'd like to see some more highly rated recruits, but right now, it's absolutely not a problem.
10-15-2015 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

IMO the ODU bball brand is getting close to where it was before the disasterous 5 win season. It's not there yet, but I think they have the pieces in place to make a NCAA tournament or two. If that happens, especially with a sweet sixteen, or deeper run, the trajectory will be obviously higher given what happened following the loss in the Verizon Center.
10-15-2015 09:07 PM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

It's a dicey call. This year we have Freeman, Bacote and the frontcourt Stith. We don't know about Pervier. We're gonna be good.

Next year, no Freeman, etc., but 2 experienced 6-10s, frontcourt Stith, Taylor, backcourt Stith, Caver with a year's experience, Talley, too.Baker w/ experience. Maybe Green plays and helps, another frontcourt player in Carver. Who knows who else may be coming in. From a size standpoint, it would seem next year we're physically better equipped for the NCAAs. Not saying we won't make it this year but I could see us one and done, or out in the round of 32. Size and up front scoring a concern to me.
10-15-2015 11:27 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Until we start to dominate on the road, I don't see us going very far in the NCAA'S.
10-16-2015 06:04 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Homeseller is right, OOC schedule is brutal in that our rivalries are on the road. Playing at UR and VCU alone makes it tough. And why anyone would pencil in Purdue as a win is beyond me. They're preseason top 25, have one of the nation's best recruits in the house and play in a much tougher league than we'll ever see. Neither game in CT will be a gimme, which is not to say we can't play with them. JMO
10-16-2015 07:16 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

As far as worrying about the recruiting situation....I think you will start to see that take off once we have success with these transfers. In my mind, Jones is gathering highly rated transfers to build teams that will be able to make NCAA Tournament runs. I applaud his strategy. He knew that coming in after a 5-25 season he would not be able to land big time high school players and is living off of transfers until he can get this thing going. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. We want to be a team that is consistently in the NCAA Tournament with the ability to crack the top 25 every year. Who knows? In a year or two we could be a top 15 team. Once Jones has this team as a mid major power you will start to see more high school recruits joining the party. Give it some time. Coach Jones is doing all the right things.
10-16-2015 08:21 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. Getting the Stiths here to play under their dad had to have been part of an opening strategy. Not sure whether the two 6-10s sitting out, Porter and Colbert, just fell in their laps or how that played out. Clearly, finishing second for Porter the first time must have put the idea in his head that he made a mistake going to GMU. Porter's presence here helped lead to his buddy deciding to come from JUCO to ODU. I forget his name, a guard
The true test is how well Talley, Carver, Green and Caver fare down the road. There's certainly reason for optimism with those 4. I'm like Razor, you take talent where you can get it, and don't look back. The fact they're still recruiting a PG tells me (Maybe incorrectly) that they don't see landing a Matt Coleman at this point. That's OK with me. It's the staff's job to mold the players on hand into a capable unit, and Jones has more than proven his ability to do that
10-16-2015 09:04 AM
Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
(10-16-2015 08:21 AM)757ODU Wrote:  As far as worrying about the recruiting situation....I think you will start to see that take off once we have success with these transfers. In my mind, Jones is gathering highly rated transfers to build teams that will be able to make NCAA Tournament runs. I applaud his strategy. He knew that coming in after a 5-25 season he would not be able to land big time high school players and is living off of transfers until he can get this thing going. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. We want to be a team that is consistently in the NCAA Tournament with the ability to crack the top 25 every year. Who knows? In a year or two we could be a top 15 team. Once Jones has this team as a mid major power you will start to see more high school recruits joining the party. Give it some time. Coach Jones is doing all the right things.

This! +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-17-2015 08:09 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-15-2015 06:50 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 04:03 PM)monarx Wrote:  It is odd, but he certainly keeps coming through at the last minute with JUCOs and transfers. Some of which appear to be very good. By all reports Caver is going to be very good and he's a freshman. So, I do find it strange, but as long as he keeps bringing in enough talent to be a top 50-100 team most years I'm not going to complain. And that seems to be happening. Just keep winning with the guys we get.

Top 50-100 is not good enough. Our good years should be 30 to 40 and rebuilding years 60 to 70. 50 to 100 is status quo, we have far more potential than that.
We were top 40 or 50 last year and should be at least that this year, and perhaps better if our veteran players improved and the new players mesh well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
10-19-2015 10:34 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-15-2015 06:52 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 05:30 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  I kinda bristle at "should be signing". JJ can put the best foot forward and present everything the program has past-present-and-future, but ultimately the kids make the decision and no one knows their thoughts except them. JJ is doing a fine job in my opinion. I was one of the most sardonic posters on here when he got hired, but the man has proved time and time again that I was wrong and that he was the right man for the job. He's got my vote.

This is ridiculous. There is a reason some coaches are better recruiters than others. The way you present it, there is no need for a recruiting budget because handing flyers out to players with a few bullet points is all the coaches can do.
Recruiting is very cut throat and goes well beyond how it was presented. If Jones can present it better, it won't matter when the other guy is offering the recruit a car provided by the car dealership booster paid for by a no-show job.

10-19-2015 10:38 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-16-2015 07:16 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Homeseller is right, OOC schedule is brutal in that our rivalries are on the road. Playing at UR and VCU alone makes it tough. And why anyone would pencil in Purdue as a win is beyond me. They're preseason top 25, have one of the nation's best recruits in the house and play in a much tougher league than we'll ever see. Neither game in CT will be a gimme, which is not to say we can't play with them. JMO
I wouldn't pencil in Purdue either, but they sound a lot like LSU last year. If we are firing on all cylinders, the game is winnable.

10-19-2015 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.