Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den
(09-16-2015 06:05 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(09-16-2015 06:02 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(09-16-2015 06:01 PM)Big Bluezilla Wrote:  Illinois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No big surprise there.

One has to wonder why we would spend so much time on a kid from Milwaukee with Big 10 offers unless there was some unusual connection or circumstance. Seems like our time is better spent on kids from the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.

Being a finalist for a kid outside ODU's traditional recruiting grounds is a good look for the Monarchs. It tells recruits and coaches that they're making strides to be a nationally relevant program. Getting the kid would have been great, but it's still a statement.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 08:10 PM by Cyniclone.)
09-16-2015 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NC Monarch Offline
2nd String

(09-16-2015 08:10 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

No big surprise there.

One has to wonder why we would spend so much time on a kid from Milwaukee with Big 10 offers unless there was some unusual connection or circumstance. Seems like our time is better spent on kids from the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.

Being a finalist for a kid outside ODU's traditional recruiting grounds is a good look for the Monarchs. It tells recruits and coaches that they're making strides to be a nationally relevant program. Getting the kid would have been great, but it's still a statement.

True, but human nature being as it is, the kid still went with the bigger school and conference. It's going to take a special kid to go against the natural tendency to want to go to a bigger place and choose to want to help take ODU to a more prominent place.
09-16-2015 08:56 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2015 08:56 PM)NC Monarch Wrote:  
(09-16-2015 08:10 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

No big surprise there.

True, but human nature being as it is, the kid still went with the bigger school and conference. It's going to take a special kid to go against the natural tendency to want to go to a bigger place and choose to want to help take ODU to a more prominent place.

The last kid Ako went to Rice... not exactly a bigger basketball stage and the same conference. We've got a great arena, practice facility on the way, great coaches, great school, great team coming off a great season with great people as players and great support in a better than average conference. Of course I'm biased, but I don't get why everyone doesn't want to go to ODU.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 09:26 PM by monarx.)
09-16-2015 09:25 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Ouch. So who else are we after?
09-16-2015 09:56 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

The way I see it is that ODU is now in a great position as far as recruiting. We have the players we need now in place to make a run this season. JJ and staff are going after high targets and getting due consideration. So far they have yet to land a high target out of HS, but it will happen soon. There are but so many spots, and if a player wants to be on a team that is going places they are going to have to pull the trigger or get left behind. I wish the kid well, but IMO Lucas made a mistake. The Monarchs will welcome some great talent into the family soon!

GO MONARCHS!!!
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 10:47 PM by paintedblue2.)
09-16-2015 10:46 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I want the combo.
09-16-2015 10:57 PM
mac Offline
All American

You are speaking in code DaBig! What does that mean, the two kids from Richmond?
We need to hear from Xavier Green soon, they have been after him for a long time.
09-17-2015 01:41 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I'd just like to win one battle. I started paying attention in 2004 so that is 11 years and I have yet to see ODU win a single freshman recruit against competition above the CAA. I don't even get excited about prospects anymore. Team will be fine for awhile on transfers and the Stiths, but I have to wonder why this is always the result no matter the state of our program and no matter who our coaches and assistants are.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
09-17-2015 05:47 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Valid question.

1. We haven't made a big splash in NCAAs, ever. Winning one game every few years means nothing to the type of kid we want to recruit these days
2. If you're Lucas, would you rather play Ohio State, Indiana, Mich State, Mich, Wisconsin or USTA, FIU, FAU. Part of me says it's a wonder we got as far as we did. TV got to get better and we need ball-busting OOC sked
3. Can't speak to Adams, other than I've been to Rice. Beautiful school, major, major city, great academics. Maybe his parents pushed him there. Who knows?
Right now, despite what we think, we're a nice regional program competing in a shark tank for regional recruits. I asked a football player recently how he came to choose his college. He said it was an excruciating process. High majors were recruiting him for months, never offering but keeping him on the hook. Finally, he realized they weren't going to offer and he was looking at having nowhere to go. He decided for his parents' sake he better take the best of lower-level offers, and he chose where he plays today. BTW, if he doesn't get drafted, he'll be in someone's training camp next year. I think until we string together several years of success, top 25, whatever, these Lucas-type situations will be more the norm. I would love to be wrong. JMO

Also, don't forget recruiting is a dirty business. Use your imagination as to what that means and our situation.
09-17-2015 06:54 AM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

I often wonder the same thing. I mean BJ Stith is going to be a hell of a player and so is his brother but lets be real the only reason they're here is because pops is on the staff. They wouldnt have sniffed us if not for dad. My brother started at ODU in 2002 and I've followed ever since and enrolled in 2006. I cant recall any big prospects...
09-17-2015 06:56 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-17-2015 06:56 AM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  I often wonder the same thing. I mean BJ Stith is going to be a hell of a player and so is his brother but lets be real the only reason they're here is because pops is on the staff. They wouldnt have sniffed us if not for dad. My brother started at ODU in 2002 and I've followed ever since and enrolled in 2006. I cant recall any big prospects...

I think Dahi was a big prospect, but I started following his freshman year after the recruiting so I don't know if we actually won a battle or he fell in our laps.
09-17-2015 07:23 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Maliek White and JJ Matthews from River City Reign in Richmond. They have been my top two targets since the summer began.
09-17-2015 07:40 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(09-17-2015 07:40 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Maliek White and JJ Matthews from River City Reign in Richmond. They have been my top two targets since the summer began.

Dahi was the last top 100 recruit we landed as a true freshman
09-17-2015 07:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2015 07:23 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(09-17-2015 06:56 AM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  I often wonder the same thing. I mean BJ Stith is going to be a hell of a player and so is his brother but lets be real the only reason they're here is because pops is on the staff. They wouldnt have sniffed us if not for dad. My brother started at ODU in 2002 and I've followed ever since and enrolled in 2006. I cant recall any big prospects...

I think Dahi was a big prospect, but I started following his freshman year after the recruiting so I don't know if we actually won a battle or he fell in our laps.

We actually won the battle for Dahi over Wisconsin. That was a big deal. The last player we even got away from what I would call a peer program was Chris Cooper who we got when he had an offer from GMU. Caver and Talley seem like they will be good players. I'm hearing really good things about Caver especially. Not sure why these coaches seem to have trouble closing the deal. We've got a great team, great facilities, great fans, great coaches... I'd rather play basketball at ODU than VT, VCU or GMU if I were a player.
09-17-2015 08:26 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(09-17-2015 08:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  

We actually won the battle for Dahi over Wisconsin. That was a big deal. The last player we even got away from what I would call a peer program was Chris Cooper who we got when he had an offer from GMU. Caver and Talley seem like they will be good players. I'm hearing really good things about Caver especially. Not sure why these coaches seem to have trouble closing the deal. We've got a great team, great facilities, great fans, great coaches... I'd rather play basketball at ODU than VT, VCU or GMU if I were a player.

IIRC it was a school in SE Penn. which starts with a "T", and whose mascot has feathers, which we beat out for Chris Cooper.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 08:32 AM by paintedblue2.)
09-17-2015 08:31 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(09-17-2015 08:31 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(09-17-2015 08:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  

IIRC it was a school in SE Penn. which starts with a "T", and whose mascot has feathers, which we beat out for Chris Cooper.

Well done, PB2. I appreciate your effort in not typing that word.
09-17-2015 08:35 AM
ODUi Offline
1st String

Who "]["emple? 05-stirthepot

Like a good neighbor.......
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 08:41 AM by ODUi.)
09-17-2015 08:39 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
09-17-2015 08:45 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Was at the practice when Cooper call Blaine and said he was coming to ODU. Blaine walked off the court to take the call and came back pumping his fist saying "we got him". Pretty cool.

The problem at all schools is you go hard after a guy, you see something that looks like a player who could help the team. Then he starts to blow-up, a bigger school loses their top-target and comes in late with an offer. Now you looking at the other recruits. Guys you been on, but knew they were behind another player. It happens at ever level from Albany to UK.

I really like the transfers we have gotten, BJ is going to be a handful in CUSA at the 2, Porter's long body and quickness plays allows to play about the rim with ease. Colbert the 4* transfer from Illinois is working hard at adding strength.
09-17-2015 08:55 AM
blewbyu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
All of these kids JJ and Co. are after are a bit of a long shot. The big difference is they will play here sooner than say Lucas will at ILL. These kids we are after will get bigger school offers later in the year but it will be because the players the bigger schools wanted ahead of these kids went somewhere else they come here they play and are happy. They go to bigger schools,don't play and are unhappy and then what.....That's right,they transfer. We will know within the next month who we will get...I hope these young men make the smart choice and come to ODU to play as opposed to waiting to get an offer from a school that does not want them now but will reluctantly want them later because the guy they really wanted said no.
09-17-2015 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.