UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Breaking News!!!! Paul Bryant Jr Lobbying Bentley to shut down UAB Football
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
RE: Breaking News!!!! Paul Bryant Jr Lobbying Bentley to shut down UAB Football
Just a thought. Could PBJ be at the governors office pleaded because he knows(or at least has a general idea) the outcome of the feasibility study. He could be trying a last ditch attempt to get rid of us before the study comes back and says Football/athletic department is key to the growth of UAB?

Just trying to pump some sunshine into this dark place.
11-06-2014 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
The BOT and administration are being purposely silent so that they can paint us as paranoid. It's the only defense they have.

Had we not struck first this time, the original plan would be been carried out unobstructed as AB and others have stated. It's worth the stigma of paranoia to strike first this time.
11-06-2014 03:01 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It's not paranoia when they are really out to get you.
11-06-2014 03:03 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE STUDY!!! For Gene's sake, open your ******* eyes!! The study is due in 8-12 weeks. Actions to affect the shutting down of UAB football are happening RIGHT NOW! The time to intervene is RIGHT NOW! The time to fight is RIGHT NOW! In 8-12 weeks the damage will be done and it will be too late: Coach Clark will be gone, recruiting will be annihilated, and the rest will just be accounting. But you choose. Sit on your hands now and wonder what you could have done...if only a small thing.
11-06-2014 03:06 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(11-06-2014 02:51 PM)imjustafatkid Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 02:00 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 01:40 PM)imjustafatkid Wrote:  All I can think about through all this is how badly all this talk is going to hurt Coach Clark when it comes to recruiting. There have been no official statements saying UAB football is being shut down so why are we talking about it? What recruit would commit to a football team he believes won't exist past 2016? This is perfect fuel for negative recruiting and we have given it to our opponents all on our own based purely on a study that hasn't even been released yet.

YOU can go pound sand, fatkid, and go back to your Bammer board. What you were "skeptical" ever happened, regardless of how many people took the time to explain to you that it did, is now happening in front of your fat face. Your idols are being exposed for what they really are. I faced the decision nearly 2 decades ago over whether I wanted to be associated with people of that ilk or 100% support the kids and fans at UAB busting their ass to succeed the RIGHT way in the face of extreme prejudice. It's your choice and I don't give a ****, but don't expect to waddle around this board with your head up your fat ass and get a free pass.

Idols? This is amateur college football. I don't have any idols here. You're crazy dude.

Edit: We also don't have any idea what will happen until the report is released next month.

We've lived through this kind of crap several times now. It gives us an entirely different perspective. The bad thing is that if this one goes down in a way that makes a believer of you, our athletic department is screwed permanently.
11-06-2014 03:08 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(11-06-2014 02:39 PM)blzrclub80 Wrote:  This falls in line with what I posted last night that Dr. Watt's may be using the study to go to the BOT to justify building the OCS. The group doing the study has done well by UAB by bring in HC Clark. PBJ may see the writing on the wall and is trying to preempt something he doesn't want to see the light of day because it might force the BOT hand and result in approving the OCS. It this is actually what PBJ has done, the Governor should immediately through him off the UA BOT because he does not have the best interest of UAB in mind in his actions!

Once again!! The Governor can NOT throw anyone off the UA system BOT for any reason. The BOT is not under his control (like those of all other state universities). He can neither appoint nor remove from the UA BOT anyone at any time for any reason. ONLY the BOT members themselves have that power.

UAB is possibly in danger on two main points: the "B" stands for B'ham, the city that many / most in Alabama wish would disappear. And then many consider UAB to be anti Crimson Tide and that puts them in league with the Devil. I don't anticipate a great groundswell of statewide support if what we think we are seeing turns out to be fact.

Remember that B'ham was already the state's largest city for over half a century before the state saw fit to put a state university in it - only two years before it was a century old. Early UAB had to fight the Tuscaloosa campus tooth and nail for almost every program it has tried to set up - particularly the higher profit & prestige graduate programs. Nothing not medical has come easy for UAB as it approaches its 50th birthday in 2019.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 03:11 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
11-06-2014 03:09 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(11-06-2014 03:00 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  Just a thought. Could PBJ be at the governors office pleaded because he knows(or at least has a general idea) the outcome of the feasibility study. He could be trying a last ditch attempt to get rid of us before the study comes back and says Football/athletic department is key to the growth of UAB?

I don't doubt that PBJ is trying to gank us before he retires. I just think that the study parameters are carefully written so that the results are preordained and as fiscally damning as possible.

The BoT can then be all holier than thou about the budget since they have one of the few athletic departments that makes a profit on football.
11-06-2014 03:12 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

(11-06-2014 03:00 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  Just a thought. Could PBJ be at the governors office pleaded because he knows(or at least has a general idea) the outcome of the feasibility study. He could be trying a last ditch attempt to get rid of us before the study comes back and says Football/athletic department is key to the growth of UAB?

You could be exaclty right. And honestly, I hope you are. However, we don't have the luxury of sitting back and hoping that is the case. We have to act, and if nothing else, show that there is a vocal fanbase that will revolt at the mere thought of shutting it down, however real that threat may actually be.
11-06-2014 03:12 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I'd rather have us throw a large public shitfit and be wrong than sit quietly watching until it is too late to prevent a massacre. The foundation struck first and gained an advantage, shined a light on what they were trying to sneak past in the shadows. don't give up that edge, it might be all we have.
11-06-2014 03:15 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(11-06-2014 03:12 PM)iam4uab Wrote:  

You could be exaclty right. And honestly, I hope you are. However, we don't have the luxury of sitting back and hoping that is the case. We have to act, and if nothing else, show that there is a vocal fanbase that will revolt at the mere thought of shutting it down, however real that threat may actually be.

I've called the president office. I am with you on the acting part I am trying to offer an alternative(which i hope to God it right).
11-06-2014 03:15 PM
BlazerFire Offline
1st String

(11-06-2014 03:15 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I'd rather have us throw a large public shitfit and be wrong than sit quietly watching until it is too late to prevent a massacre. The foundation struck first and gained an advantage, shined a light on what they were trying to sneak past in the shadows. don't give up that edge, it might be all we have.

Wise words spoken here. Some of you better listen.
11-06-2014 03:23 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(11-06-2014 03:23 PM)BlazerFire Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 03:15 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I'd rather have us throw a large public shitfit and be wrong than sit quietly watching until it is too late to prevent a massacre. The foundation struck first and gained an advantage, shined a light on what they were trying to sneak past in the shadows. don't give up that edge, it might be all we have.

Wise words spoken here. Some of you better listen.

In some cases, silence & inaction are the same as approval. I'm listening...& I'm doing what I can.
11-06-2014 03:30 PM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

(11-06-2014 02:50 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  For those of you questioning Attalla. I have known him for years. He knows a *lot* of people, and he hears a lot of things. Many times he hears things and tells no one, or only a few people he can trust to keep their yaps shut. That respect for confidential information is why he continues to hear things.

On something this important, at a time as sensitive and crucial as this, there is no way in hell he would have posted that on the front page of Blazertalk unless he was damned certain of his source.

Attalla knows his stuff. If he said it, I believe it!
11-06-2014 03:37 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2014 03:37 PM)mobileblazer Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 02:50 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  For those of you questioning Attalla. I have known him for years. He knows a *lot* of people, and he hears a lot of things. Many times he hears things and tells no one, or only a few people he can trust to keep their yaps shut. That respect for confidential information is why he continues to hear things.

On something this important, at a time as sensitive and crucial as this, there is no way in hell he would have posted that on the front page of Blazertalk unless he was damned certain of his source.

Attalla knows his stuff. If he said it, I believe it!

He never brings bull**** to the Forum, if he says there is genuine cause for concern, you better take him at his word....
11-06-2014 03:58 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

What scares me is that the BoT does not give a S about what anyone says or does, they do as they want. The only ones that they might respect are the higher ups at UAT, and they really don't care about us.

The bad thing is that they're playing games with college kid's lives.
11-06-2014 04:06 PM
Desert_Blazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB and UNLV
(11-06-2014 04:06 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  What scares me is that the BoT does not give a S about what anyone says or does, they do as they want. The only ones that they might respect are the higher ups at UAT, and they really don't care about us.

That's why UAB needs to be out from under UA BoT control. Even if independence means giving up the medical school (admittedly, even that drastic measure probably wouldn't win enough support to gain our freedom). It would be far better to be a lesser university in control of its own destiny than to become the medical extension center that those in power seem intent on creating.
11-06-2014 04:24 PM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2014 04:24 PM)Desert_Blazer Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 04:06 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  What scares me is that the BoT does not give a S about what anyone says or does, they do as they want. The only ones that they might respect are the higher ups at UAT, and they really don't care about us.

That's why UAB needs to be out from under UA BoT control. Even if independence means giving up the medical school (admittedly, even that drastic measure probably wouldn't win enough support to gain our freedom). It would be far better to be a lesser university in control of its own destiny than to become the medical extension center that those in power seem intent on creating.

I once would have scoffed at that idea, but now I tend to agree. At some point, the chains must be broken.
11-06-2014 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers

That's the real tragedy. Sure we care as fans, but it is really about lost opportunity for a higher education for the young athletes in the state. Every parent that has a son in youth football should rally to UAB's cause. Athletic scholarships change lives for the better, and give young athletes a chance at success they won't otherwise receive. For a man like PBJ to actively sabotage UAB athletics is the worst kind of immorality from a man in a position of responsibility, as it not only violates the oath that he took, it denies opportunity and damages the futures of young people. How could you live with yourself if your own personal vendetta left diminished lives in its wake forever, long after you cease to be a burden to this world? Shame, shame, shame! There is an odor of sin and corruption in this state that should rise to the heavens.

03-pissed
11-06-2014 04:35 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2014 04:35 PM)DragonClaw Wrote:  

That's the real tragedy. Sure we care as fans, but it is really about lost opportunity for a higher education for the young athletes in the state. Every parent that has a son in youth football should rally to UAB's cause. Athletic scholarships change lives for the better, and give young athletes a chance at success they won't otherwise receive. For a man like PBJ to actively sabotage UAB athletics is the worst kind of immorality from a man in a position of responsibility, as it not only violates the oath that he took, it denies opportunity and damages the futures of young people. How could you live with yourself if your own personal vendetta left diminished lives in its wake forever, long after you cease to be a burden to this world? Shame, shame, shame! There is an odor of sin and corruption in this state that should rise to the heavens.

03-pissed
Great post! For what it's worth, I'm 03-pissed, too!
11-06-2014 04:38 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(11-06-2014 04:38 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 04:35 PM)DragonClaw Wrote:  

03-pissed
Great post! For what it's worth, I'm 03-pissed, too!

The Biomedical Engineering Undergrad department (one of the most successful undergrad departments) just became a joint Egr/Medicine program. That would be one heck of a messy divorce just right there. I'm certain the other departments in the sciences would have an equally messy time.
11-06-2014 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.