Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Sun Belt Final 4
Bookmark and Share
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
RE: The Sun Belt Final 4
I've written this a couple of times and I don't want to bore any of you, but EKU has some real hurdles to overcome. First is trying to get funding/bonding approval from Frankfort. This won't be easy and possibly not possible at all. KY does things a little different and the lawmakers decide funding for all KY schools, not just monies given, but also if they allow bonding. So say EKU wanted to upgrade their football stadium and was going to pay for it by borrowing the money and then making payments using the increased revenue from the suites and ticket sales. Most universities can move on their own, but in KY Frankfort gets involved and things can get ugly rather quickly. UK is only 20 miles from Richmond and if UK doesn't want it to happen they have some pull in Frankfort.

EKU needs to hire around 20 athletic positions. These are not $10 an hour type jobs. Having to field two new female teams with full rides, plus the increase of the 20 or more scholarships on the football side. If you watch the youtube video of EKU's new president he even admits that some of these things are long term goals.

I like EKU. It's a good school and does a great job of educating most kids in Central KY, but they don't be ready for years and years. One other thing, most people in the area are diehard UK fans. Lexington is the major tv market and EKU is barely a blimp on the sports coverage. EKU would have to always play around the schedule of UK if they expected large turnouts.
04-17-2014 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-17-2014 08:09 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Don't put any stock into anything Wood Selig has to say. Just months before Western got the official invite for C-USA he said Western didn't fit the C-USA "model" . This coming after Western was told you're next just as soon as Tulsa leaves. So he likes to run his mouth...a lot!

Personally I think EKU is probably 1b at worse on the list. If the President at EKU can sell the SBC on they can get the funding EKU will get the last SBC spot. A month ago I would have said they are a couple years away...

and they are. But with JMU closing the door I think the SBC takes the chance they will get the needed funding for the move. With that I think their move to FBS will be a lot longer before they are competitive than the other move ups....

because they will be cutting a lot of corners and will need to do it on the cheap or at least a lot cheaper than if they had that 18 to 24 month window to get their ducks in line before getting a invite

Wood follows a different drummer that is for sure.

As tight as information is being held right now, I doubt he has any insight, and most of the AD's he had relationships with are gone, though not all.

Much more likely it's his idea of taunting JMU.
04-17-2014 10:35 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-17-2014 10:24 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I've written this a couple of times and I don't want to bore any of you, but EKU has some real hurdles to overcome. First is trying to get funding/bonding approval from Frankfort. This won't be easy and possibly not possible at all. KY does things a little different and the lawmakers decide funding for all KY schools, not just monies given, but also if they allow bonding. So say EKU wanted to upgrade their football stadium and was going to pay for it by borrowing the money and then making payments using the increased revenue from the suites and ticket sales. Most universities can move on their own, but in KY Frankfort gets involved and things can get ugly rather quickly. UK is only 20 miles from Richmond and if UK doesn't want it to happen they have some pull in Frankfort.

EKU needs to hire around 20 athletic positions. These are not $10 an hour type jobs. Having to field two new female teams with full rides, plus the increase of the 20 or more scholarships on the football side. If you watch the youtube video of EKU's new president he even admits that some of these things are long term goals.

I like EKU. It's a good school and does a great job of educating most kids in Central KY, but they don't be ready for years and years. One other thing, most people in the area are diehard UK fans. Lexington is the major tv market and EKU is barely a blimp on the sports coverage. EKU would have to always play around the schedule of UK if they expected large turnouts.

EKU doesn't have to have the bonding today or next year. They can make due with the physical plant they have.

Their issue is finding away to bump the operating budget by $2.5 million.
04-17-2014 10:38 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
The Sun Belt Final 4
I think it's Liberty or UMass. I would prefer Liberty if those are the choices.
04-17-2014 11:46 PM
Panarican Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgia Southern U
(04-17-2014 11:46 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  I think it's Liberty or UMass. I would prefer Liberty if those are the choices.

I prefer UMASS over Liberty for the sake that 1) they are FBS now, 2) NMSU are willing to join all sports, and 3) if I travel to an away game, I prefer to travel to the Boston metro v. Lynchburg. Football travel distance is totally overrated.
04-18-2014 12:39 AM
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Harry is an excellent beat writer but I'm not sure where he is getting his information... He probably just wanted to point out the dumpster fire that is JMU athletics right now. Honestly, I feel like he gets half of his 'rumors' from this site.
04-18-2014 01:49 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(04-18-2014 12:39 AM)Panarican Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 11:46 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  I think it's Liberty or UMass. I would prefer Liberty if those are the choices.

I prefer UMASS over Liberty for the sake that 1) they are FBS now, 2) NMSU are willing to join all sports, and 3) if I travel to an away game, I prefer to travel to the Boston metro v. Lynchburg. Football travel distance is totally overrated.

NMSU all sports and UMass as fb only gives the option of dumping Idaho and UMass when their contracts are up for a more ready Mo St. and EKU or JMU(if they figure out SBC is the only way in.)
04-18-2014 01:54 AM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:
How about Central Arkansas?
04-18-2014 03:11 AM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(04-18-2014 03:11 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  How about Central Arkansas?

AState would never support Central Arkansas, and I don't blame them. Central Arkansas would fit nicely into the footprint of the western division though.
04-18-2014 05:05 AM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(04-17-2014 08:59 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 08:54 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  This looks like the E Mich logo?

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.60803091...7&pid=15.1

Don't tell me you don't see it!

I hated going just to the E on the helmet as it did remind me too of EMU.

Prefer having EKU on the helmet.
04-18-2014 07:06 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
EKU vs WKU? So losing the goat lovers and replacing with someone not nearly as good. Sure hope we stay pat, regardless of the smokescreen Benson is sending out.
04-18-2014 07:16 AM
asupatch Offline
2nd String

I Root For: APPY STATE!!
(04-17-2014 07:37 PM)Liberty22 Wrote:  That actually makes me feel pretty excited. Most sources said it was JMU and MoSt ahead of Liberty, so I would think the order now is Liberty, EKU, Jacksonville St.

You got that from a Virginia newspaper wanting ODU to have a local home and home with LU? The guy fails to even mention UMass. Nothing to see here.
04-18-2014 09:12 AM
hapapp Online
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Where has it been stated other than pure speculation that the SBC is even considering UMass? I'm not saying I'm opposed but what is the basis for this?
04-18-2014 09:39 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
This beat writer has been right in the past, sure it was for ODU, but I wouldn't just dismiss him.

This whole expansion thing is starting to bore me. Just get it over with. The homeruns are gone so just take the eager puppy.
04-18-2014 09:50 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
(04-17-2014 10:24 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I've written this a couple of times and I don't want to bore any of you, but EKU has some real hurdles to overcome. First is trying to get funding/bonding approval from Frankfort. This won't be easy and possibly not possible at all. KY does things a little different and the lawmakers decide funding for all KY schools, not just monies given, but also if they allow bonding. So say EKU wanted to upgrade their football stadium and was going to pay for it by borrowing the money and then making payments using the increased revenue from the suites and ticket sales. Most universities can move on their own, but in KY Frankfort gets involved and things can get ugly rather quickly. UK is only 20 miles from Richmond and if UK doesn't want it to happen they have some pull in Frankfort.

Yes, you have written this a couple of times as have a few others. I am not going to spend any more time going line by line refuting some of these lame arguments. We have all heard, debated it ad nauseum.
I believe EKU officials are intelligent enough to know the obstacles and tackle them head on, as matter of fact that's what they are doing. Fans on a message board with their own agenda, bias and opinions really have no clue regarding EKU and their potential or ability to get this done. It's just that, an opinion.
You want Liberty to move to FBS through the Sun Belt. We get it. Argue their merits please and leave EKU out of your campaign. I have not seen one EKU fan on here, including myself, make any negative post about Liberty, and there have been plenty on here. We have not used innuendos and personal opinions regarding LU to bolster our case.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 10:44 AM by LexColonel.)
04-18-2014 10:42 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(04-18-2014 10:42 AM)LexColonel Wrote:  

Yes, you have written this a couple of times as have a few others. I am not going to spend any more time going line by line refuting some of these lame arguments. We have all heard, debated it ad nauseum.
I believe EKU officials are intelligent enough to know the obstacles and tackle them head on, as matter of fact that's what they are doing. Fans on a message board with their own agenda, bias and opinions really have no clue regarding EKU and their potential or ability to get this done. It's just that, an opinion.
You want Liberty to move to FBS through the Sun Belt. We get it. Argue their merits please and leave EKU out of your campaign. I have not seen one EKU fan on here, including myself, make any negative post about Liberty, and there have been plenty on here. We have not used innuendos and personal opinions regarding LU to bolster our case.

First off you're not "bolstering your case" here this is a message board. No one from the SBC is ever going to make a decision on anything from reading this board.

Second, what he said has a lot of truth in it...not opinions but TRUTHS. EVERY building on the EKU campus is a STATE building...own by the state of KY and will need their approval before any bonds are sold.

Third you have yet to refute anything only to give your opinion that this new president is smarter than us good ole KY boys that seen the system and how it works for a number of years. I have no doubt he's smarter than I am but still doesn't change the fact KY is like it is and most likely always be like that. There are people on your own message board basically saying the same thing.

Yes the post you replied to is based on opinion but it's a opinion most people in KY would probably share. But at this point like ARKSTFAN and even myself pointed out EKU doesn't have to have all the upgrade funding up front. Shoot you don't even need to go full upscale on a upgrade like Western did. Spend your 10 or 15 million if the state OK the bond sale on phase 1 of a upgrade and try to get the other done over the years.

What you will need is 2 to 3 million to pay for scholarships and pay increases to your coaches. No putting that off and it's there if the state will let you do it...most likely they will. Put a $100 per semester fee on the students and you get the needed 3 million. With half of it in hand come middle Aug. Like you said your president knows this.

The needed building of the EKU campus (just like Western 15 years ago) is another matter but that probably won't stop you from getting into the SBC. Cash or building poor or not EKU is starting to build some steam in this movement. Especially with the baggage of LU.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 12:54 PM by WKUYG.)
04-18-2014 12:03 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(04-17-2014 07:46 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I am curious to know where the paper is getting their info, considering they have no ties to the SBC.

Likely from here
04-18-2014 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(04-17-2014 07:37 PM)Liberty22 Wrote:  That actually makes me feel pretty excited. Most sources said it was JMU and MoSt ahead of Liberty, so I would think the order now is Liberty, EKU, Jacksonville St.

not me. those are all regional schools nobody ever heard of..will just lower the image of the conference in the eyes of the typical sports fan out there. I was hoping for nmsu all in and maybe mostate...jmu was not going to be that great of an add, but the least bad of the rest..at this point I would favor not adding any just to be adding.
04-18-2014 12:47 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(04-18-2014 12:47 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

not me. those are all regional schools nobody ever heard of..will just lower the image of the conference in the eyes of the typical sports fan out there. I was hoping for nmsu all in and maybe mostate...jmu was not going to be that great of an add, but the least bad of the rest..at this point I would favor not adding any just to be adding.

You're right. UMass though adds a bunch of interesting talking points (e.g. eastern school, flagship, carpetbagger, FBS hanger-on, immediate CCG, too good for the Sun Belt, terrible football, all-sports, A-10 connection, northeast media, etc. etc.). EKU and Jax. St. are like; who cares.
04-18-2014 12:53 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(04-18-2014 12:47 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

Honest question. Do you think anyone 30 to 50 miles east or west of Dallas knew who UTA was?

And to throw a little facts into the mix...

EKU 3 NCAA bids in the last 8 year
Missouri State it's been 15 years since they made the NCAA Tourney

Last 10 years

EKU 5, 20+ win seasons
Missouri State 5, 20+ win seasons

No one other than the people in the MVC and on this board know who Missouri State is
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 01:07 PM by WKUYG.)
04-18-2014 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.