Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question to Marshall fans regarding the MAC
Bookmark and Share
paintedblue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Question to Marshall fans regarding the MAC
I see that not a whole lot of MU fans post here regularly, but I have a question for anyone who would care to address it. Pardon me, as I don't know a lot about the history between Marshall and the MAC, but I have noticed a recent spike of non-Marshall posters speculating that MU would be interested in rejoining the MAC. To me, as an outsider to the history/situation, it seems highly unlikely that Marshall would even consider this. Again, pardon me if this is a silly question, or is opening a "can of worms." Thank you.
02-26-2014 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

paintedblue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Question to Marshall fans regarding the MAC
53 views, no response yet. I will assume the idea was as silly as I thought it was when I first read it.
02-27-2014 11:30 AM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(02-27-2014 11:30 AM)paintedblue Wrote:  53 views, no response yet. I will assume the idea was as silly as I thought it was when I first read it.

Just saw this post. I think there are a couple positives of going back to the MAC. The first is geography. The MAC is a geographically tight conference with Huntington just on the outskirts of the footprint. Literally every conference game would be drivable. The second is established rivalries. And that is a product of what could be considered a third positive which is stability. Marshall has several rivalries with teams in the MAC from its time there. Miami is one of the most hated teams for a Marshall fan, and for good reason. There's also bad blood shared with Toledo, Akron, and Western Michigan. We have a rivalry with Ohio, but in my opinion that rivalry is more like ours with ECU- a lot of respect both ways.

A lot of people in Huntington think that these two facts alone merit a rejoining of the MAC. I'm not among them. I see the MAC's stability as a negative. There's no upward movement from schools in large metros with large budgets who succeed athletically. There is little commitment to athletics in the MAC. Besides that, their TV contract is for less dollars than ours and there are far too many weekday games. With that being said, they do get much more exposure than CUSA has lately. The bowl tie ins for CUSA are both more numerous and more prestigious than that of the MAC. I think the culture of Marshall fits in more with CUSA than the MAC. I see Huntington as a southern town. Not north. Not midwest. The cultures of the schools mesh better as well. Finally, the competition is better in CUSA, and with a universal motive to get better. The MAC clearly has a team get hot from time to time, but I think that little is done by the conference and the member schools to sustain that success.

The bottom line is, some fans see the two conferences on equal footing, with one making more geographic sense. Most see CUSA as superior to the MAC and would see a move there as a step backwards. I, as well as school leadership, am in the latter group. We aren't going anywhere.
03-24-2014 09:00 AM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
I think going back to the MAC wouldn't be a step back, as CUSA went downward moving their best teams to Big East/AAC -- and essentially having a souped-up SunBelt+ conference.

Yes, more money in the conference (for now?). The MAC is the only conference that stays the way it is, but will allow a temporary passer-by to stroll in a bit.

If CUSA, with their newer/younger teams gets going well, they should stay. In a few years, if it's still kinda flat -- I would say going to the MAC would be a good move if it fits well with Marshall. And with Marshall moving TO the MAC, it would I think tip the scales that way for the better overall.

I see CUSA as the "new team place".

AAC would be the best move for Marshall, IMO. Close locale to teams + better competition. Just hope that ECU, UCF, and Cinci don't jet to the ACC, though with all those big-conference expansions. Then you'd want to go to the MAC.

And the MAC's weekday games do get more exposure at the expense of attendance. Nationally televised. Just sayin'.
09-15-2014 04:58 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-15-2014 04:58 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  I think going back to the MAC wouldn't be a step back, as CUSA went downward moving their best teams to Big East/AAC -- and essentially having a souped-up SunBelt+ conference.

Yes, more money in the conference (for now?). The MAC is the only conference that stays the way it is, but will allow a temporary passer-by to stroll in a bit.

Im going to take this step by step. The most money Marshall ever received in the MAC was 33,500 per year. Marshall when they joined the MAC had to agree to only take 1/4 the TV money other schools got and the MAC never let that go.

Now Marshall gets 1.3 million.

Quote:If CUSA, with their newer/younger teams gets going well, they should stay. In a few years, if it's still kinda flat -- I would say going to the MAC would be a good move if it fits well with Marshall. And with Marshall moving TO the MAC, it would I think tip the scales that way for the better overall.

CUSA is 11-0 against the MAC, SB, AAC and MWC so far this year.

Quote:I see CUSA as the "new team place".

I don't think this will be the norm

Quote:AAC would be the best move for Marshall, IMO. Close locale to teams + better competition. Just hope that ECU, UCF, and Cinci don't jet to the ACC, though with all those big-conference expansions. Then you'd want to go to the MAC.

Now with autonomy setting in, I don't see anyone going anywhere for a looong looooong time. There might be a move here or there but I think the big movement is over with for a while.

Quote:And the MAC's weekday games do get more exposure at the expense of attendance. Nationally televised. Just sayin'.

I enjoyed our time in the MAC, even though most MAC fans hated us. I mean Little Miami even started http://www.goodbyemarshall.com so Marshall could read their enduring haiku's.

I don't ever see Marshall going back to the MAC.
09-19-2014 09:01 PM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(02-27-2014 11:30 AM)paintedblue Wrote:  53 views, no response yet. I will assume the idea was as silly as I thought it was when I first read it.

What is the problem with MU?

It is missing a J.
09-27-2018 09:00 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-27-2018 09:00 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

It is missing a J.

And JMU will stay IAA for life and continue beating up on lil Rhode Island, Maine, Towson, William and Mary and pounding their chests like they actually have accomplished something, when in reality they have beat about 7-8 programs on their schedule that even a down Rice team could beat.

JMU is the 1990s Delawre of today. A good program that could never seem to overcome the last hurdle.

Now go back to your hole crawl in it and set and rock back and forth in the fetal position.

Just wait until Houston gets a better job offer. Hey at that time maybe Everett Withers will be ready to come back.
09-28-2018 11:19 AM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(09-28-2018 11:19 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

It is missing a J.

And JMU will stay IAA for life and continue beating up on lil Rhode Island, Maine, Towson, William and Mary and pounding their chests like they actually have accomplished something, when in reality they have beat about 7-8 programs on their schedule that even a down Rice team could beat.

JMU is the 1990s Delawre of today. A good program that could never seem to overcome the last hurdle.

Now go back to your hole crawl in it and set and rock back and forth in the fetal position.

Just wait until Houston gets a better job offer. Hey at that time maybe Everett Withers will be ready to come back.

The missing J - MU missed a sellout in a 38K stadium by -6K with a decent ACC squad in town. Fan support will be a important variable when the G5s shakeout. JMU's stadium currently holds 25K and JMU fans are filling it out playing teams like Robert Morris and the other dregs you mention above. If an ACC squad were in town, JMU would fill out an expanded Bridgeforth Stadium at 40K+.
09-28-2018 04:30 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(09-28-2018 04:30 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

It is missing a J.

The missing J - MU missed a sellout in a 38K stadium by -6K with a decent ACC squad in town. Fan support will be a important variable when the G5s shakeout. JMU's stadium currently holds 25K and JMU fans are filling it out playing teams like Robert Morris and the other dregs you mention above. If an ACC squad were in town, JMU would fill out an expanded Bridgeforth Stadium at 40K+.
blah blah blah. Those are all bs suppositions. We have also sold out WVU, KState, and Purdue. And came very close other times WVU has been in town. I haven't seen the numbers but the Louisville game was close or was one... i was there. NC State was a downpour. So whilst you are laying in your bed dreaming about big games and bowl games, we are living it.

Oh, btw, about your Gameday, all you are is the token FCS team selected. Flavor of the week. We've had Corso and Herbie here too, just not on a Saturday. Now run along Sonny. The slack on your leash just ran out.
07-11-2019 07:21 PM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(09-28-2018 04:30 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

It is missing a J.

blah blah blah. Those are all bs suppositions. We have also sold out WVU, KState, and Purdue. And came very close other times WVU has been in town. I haven't seen the numbers but the Louisville game was close or was one... i was there. NC State was a downpour. So whilst you are laying in your bed dreaming about big games and bowl games, we are living it.

Oh, btw, about your Gameday, all you are is the token FCS team selected. Flavor of the week. We've had Corso and Herbie here too, just not on a Saturday. Now run along Sonny. The slack on your leash just ran out.
07-11-2019 11:24 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
We recruit the Southeast heavily and the majority of our Alumni Clubs are in the Southeast. In the MAC we would play 4 games a year in the state of Ohio which does not help when recruiting the Southeast.
10-04-2019 11:59 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC

It is missing a J.

This didn't age well 03-lmfao
03-22-2022 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.