UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mackin Needs To Go
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
Mackin Needs To Go
The next Head Football Coach needs to be hired by a new Athletics Director. Mackin has had some minor successes but we desperately need new leadership. I think he loves UAB but is simply in over his head.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 08:35 PM by BlazerGreen.)
10-05-2013 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Mackin Needs To Go
What could he be doing better right now? Serious question.
10-05-2013 08:41 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-05-2013 08:34 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  The next Head Football Coach needs to be hired by a new Athletics Director. Mackin has had some minor successes but we desperately need new leadership. I think he loves UAB but is simply in over his head.

The Haase hire I think will pan out. McGee has some tough decisions to make if he is going to cut it.
10-05-2013 08:42 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not a fan of firing coaches in the middle of the season, and I'm not even suggesting that McGee needs to be fired immediately after the last game. But serious changes need to be made, publicly, if Mackin wants to maintain any real credibility
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 08:45 PM by mixduptransistor.)
10-05-2013 08:45 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-05-2013 08:45 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I'm not a fan of firing coaches in the middle of the season, and I'm not even suggesting that McGee needs to be fired immediately after the last game. But serious changes need to be made, publicly, if Mackin wants to maintain any real credibility

His current buyout is $700,000. Fahring some defensive coaches mid-season might not be such a bad idea though.
10-05-2013 08:46 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2013 08:46 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 08:45 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I'm not a fan of firing coaches in the middle of the season, and I'm not even suggesting that McGee needs to be fired immediately after the last game. But serious changes need to be made, publicly, if Mackin wants to maintain any real credibility

His current buyout is $700,000. Fahring some defensive coaches mid-season might not be such a bad idea though.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking as well.
10-05-2013 08:48 PM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(10-05-2013 08:41 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  What could he be doing better right now? Serious question.

Serious question: Do you want him involved in another UAB football coaching hire?

He has been directly running UAB athletic fundraising for over eleven years and we haven't built one thing in the most important sport in the department. We have seen our conference position downgraded and attendance drop in both major sports.

What has he done that was so great?
10-05-2013 08:49 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-05-2013 08:49 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 08:41 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  What could he be doing better right now? Serious question.

Serious question: Do you want him involved in another UAB football coaching hire?

He has been directly running UAB athletic fundraising for over eleven years and we haven't built one thing in the most important sport in the department. We have seen our conference position downgraded and attendance drop in both major sports.

What has he done that was so great?

He went to a Blazertalk tailgate once and made a lot of supporters
10-05-2013 08:56 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

& slept at a Holiday Inn Express once.
10-05-2013 08:58 PM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
I love how because our football team isn't good our AD needs to be fired. The health of our athletic department is actually pretty good. Face it, UAB may be the toughest D1 football job in the country.
10-05-2013 10:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
I know it won't happen, but if we lose to FIU, every one should be fired.
10-06-2013 12:11 AM
Advertisement

Blazer88 Offline
Banned

If Haase works out he can get a 10 year extension. As long as the AD at UAB doesn't mess basketball up, Football needs a miracle to get 7 wins in any season.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 12:28 AM by Blazer88.)
10-06-2013 12:28 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2013 12:28 AM)Blazer88 Wrote:  If Haase works out he can get a 10 year extension. As long as the AD at UAB doesn't mess basketball up, Football needs a miracle to get 7 wins in any season.

Which is why if we can't make it work, get out of football which is holding basketball back in a crap conference.

I would be fine with UAB going a Gonzaga, Marquette, or Georgetown route. It would certainly be less embarrassing than the products we've put on the field and court in the past few years.
10-06-2013 01:39 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Name the FBS programs that have dropped back a division or done away with football completely... do you really want that for UAB? Really? UAB is two average qtrs of football away from being 3-2 this season.
10-06-2013 05:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(10-05-2013 10:31 PM)stc Wrote:  I love how because our football team isn't good our AD needs to be fired. The health of our athletic department is actually pretty good. Face it, UAB may be the toughest D1 football job in the country.

Really? Attendance in the major sports is terrible. We haven't been to a bowl since 2004 or won an NCAA tournament game since 2005. The perception of UAB athletics is at an all-time low.

But other than that things are great I guess.
10-06-2013 05:29 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

Oh, so replace Mackin and McGee? The Board of Trustees has Mackin, McGee, Watts, the Football Team, and The Fans all the over a barrel(at their mercy). The Board of Trustees is not going to cut UAB loose with the inception of a New On Campus Stadium. Mackin, McGee, and Watts have been issued a hush order on that subject. The Crimson Tide laden Board of Trustees is simply not going to have any part of creating a monster of a Football Program sixty miles away from Tuscaloosa. It would be the same as supplying huge weapons to the enemy.

Is it Mackin and McGees fault? Only for conceding that they can continue in the present state, without an On Campus Stadium, and achieve success. Yes, it would take a miracle for them to do that.

We are all stuck between a rock and a hard place(we have no good alternatives). The only good alternative is to "Build a New On Campus Stadium". Otherwise, we are all stuck in the present state. Once again, our UAB Football Team is practically winless. Lack of fire power. "A Dragon Without Breath", stifled by the Board of Trusteees. Snuffed out. Poof! Powerless! Without Wings to Fly! Grounded!

Believe me, it is just as frustrating to them as it is to us.

The fact remains, "If you can't see beyond the end of your nose, you think so much about yourself and what affects you that you do not see what is really important."
10-06-2013 05:36 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(10-06-2013 05:36 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Oh, so replace Mackin and McGee? The Board of Trustees has Mackin, McGee, Watts, the Football Team, and The Fans all the over a barrel(at their mercy). The Board of Trustees is not going to cut UAB loose with the inception of a New On Campus Stadium. Mackin, McGee, and Watts have been issued a hush order on that subject. The Crimson Tide laden Board of Trustees is simply not going to have any part of creating a monster of a Football Program sixty miles away from Tuscaloosa. It would be the same as supplying huge weapons to the enemy.

Is it Mackin and McGees fault? Only for conceding that they can continue in the present state, without an On Campus Stadium, and achieve success. Yes, it would take a miracle for them to do that.

We are all stuck between a rock and a hard place(we have no good alternatives). The only good alternative is to "Build a New On Campus Stadium". Otherwise, we are all stuck in the present state. Once again, our UAB Football Team is practically winless. Lack of fire power. "A Dragon Without Breath", stifled by the Board of Trusteees. Snuffed out. Poof! Powerless! Without Wings to Fly! Grounded!

Believe me, it is just as frustrating to them as it is to us.

The fact remains, "If you can't see beyond the end of your nose, you think so much about yourself and what affects you that you do not see what is really important."

Yeah, except McGee and Mackin get PAID for their frustration.

The Losingest College Fooball Coach of All Time somehow figured out how to occasionally win more than he lost. Somehow he did it without a new weight room and playing significantly more difficult competition.

Our leadership SUCKS, period.
10-06-2013 05:41 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Academics are looking good and nearly every team outside of football has played in the postseason in the last 3 years... I'd say UAB is solid in just about all sports but football at the moment.
10-06-2013 05:46 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(10-06-2013 05:46 AM)UABslant Wrote:  Academics are looking good and nearly every team outside of football has played in the postseason in the last 3 years... I'd say UAB is solid in just about all sports but football at the moment.

I'm as big a UAB soccer fan as you will find but I know that minor sports count for very little in the business of major college sports. In the sports that matter to the revenue-producing fans, UAB sucks. Haase is showing some positive off-season signs but he hasn't won anything yet.

In about a year and a half UAB is going to need the AD to sack McGee and try once again to change the direction of the program. We need new leadership in place to make those decisions.
10-06-2013 05:58 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

you cant fix the issues we had with our football team in two years. until we have the same academic requirements in place as everyone else we are at a competitive disadvantage.
10-06-2013 06:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.