UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UAB football stadium 'not a top strategic priority,' Watts says
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
RE: UAB football stadium 'not a top strategic priority,' Watts says
(07-12-2013 11:32 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Has EA included the strippers & waterfalls yet in its game?

03-lmfao
07-12-2013 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
A Limited Number of 2013 Blazer Club Football Season Tickets Remain
07-12-2013 12:49 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 11:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  On attendance:

I find the argument that we don't "deserve" one because we don't fill up Legion Field laughable.

No ****, Sherlock. It's a 72K tomb. The one we want to build is about a third that size.

This!!! A "72K seat tomb??!!!" 03-lmfao Yes it is!!! But it's no 03-lmfao matter that our Blazers are stuck having to play there...I want that place gone in my lifetime...
07-12-2013 12:52 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 10:16 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  One problem with the whole OCS issue is each side has painted itself in a corner. It’s very public nature may have ultimately made matters worse, but was also necessary. The BOT will not publicly endorse any OCS proposal in the near term short of a private concern footing the entire bill because it will look like they caved – something they cannot afford. For OCS proponents there is no middle ground - they/we want it now! As a result there is a focus on issues, such as, feasibility, fan support, etc… That is the middle ground that may provide some justification for enough of the BOT and its constituency to be more accepting of the idea and allow the proponents to prove their point. That is where the battle will be ultimately won or lost. As time passes and UAB raises its own profile and finances the idea of an OCS and its viability will shift from the BOT to UAB and the BOT can gracefully acquiesce. It will take years, though…

... a lot of years...Good points, just the same, even though I don't trust this board as far as I could throw them collectively. Whatever criteria/expectations UAB Football meets or exceeds, they'll just come up with another excuse/test/obstacle/obstruction for them/us to overcome & continue to justify their denial/opposition to the stadium, nothing I've heard or seen since November of 2011 has changed that perception...
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 01:10 PM by Matrix.)
07-12-2013 12:55 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 11:28 AM)rook360 Wrote:  Can't win for losing.

Oh well roll tide and move on. Legion Field will have to suffice for now...and ever. At least there is always EA NCAA for UAB to have an OCS. Nope, just found out I have to spend 1Mil Microsoft points for the DLC. 01-france

03-lmfao I swear, just the other day, I was contemplating buying a PS Game Console so I could play NCAA 14, of course, I am going to pick UAB as my team, and play their entire 2013 schedule, game by game, and see if I've lost my touch...
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 12:59 PM by Matrix.)
07-12-2013 12:58 PM
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

of course watts isnt going to say anything to stir up controversy with the UAT board. Garrison "retired" because she informally proposed a stadium to the board. watts is perfectly happy making his half a mill and keep hush about any stadium proposals.

It will be funny to see what happens if and when we have a 7+ win season with a bowl win and attendance 25K+, because then we will have done everything they have asked of us.

Screw Bama, Go Blazers!
07-12-2013 01:03 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 01:03 PM)4thDownBlazer Wrote:  Screw Bama, Go Blazers!

I'll 04-cheers to that!!!
07-12-2013 01:09 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

What they are doing for the Health and Academic side of campus is most important. Following UAB's athletics program makes having a good medical facility very important. Very few would argue that the Hospital and Academic should not be given priority. I am just tired of the lies, innuendos, rumors, and false hope that surrounds the stadium. Our leaders are not able to speak openly and honest about the stadium... or maybe they are.
07-12-2013 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Watts probably didn't want to talk about it at all, but everyone (including him) knew it was going to be asked.
07-12-2013 01:16 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Dr. Watts' (admittedly true) comment about having a beautiful half empty on-campus basketball facility still stings every time I see it in the comment section at AL.com.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 01:20 PM by BeliefBlazer.)
07-12-2013 01:20 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Apples and oranges, and it irritates me every time the analogy is made.

Football drives the bus in Alabama. Football, football, football.
07-12-2013 01:33 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

USF raises over $600 Million... 6.4% for athletic facilities. Is this Watts plan or no?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/c...on/2130795
07-12-2013 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The words come to mind from Grandpa Biff talking to Biff in Back to the Future 2 - "It's make like a tree and leave. You sound like an idiot when you say that."

They make the analogy for UAB, yet they don't make any type reference to other schools in the same situation (minus the BOT of course)
07-12-2013 01:47 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(07-12-2013 01:44 PM)ICB Wrote:  USF raises over $600 Million... 6.4% for athletic facilities. Is this Watts plan or no?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/c...on/2130795

Add about $400 million to that.
07-12-2013 01:48 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(07-12-2013 01:09 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:03 PM)4thDownBlazer Wrote:  Screw Bama, Go Blazers!

I'll 04-cheers to that!!!

04-cheers
07-12-2013 02:16 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(07-12-2013 12:55 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 10:16 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  One problem with the whole OCS issue is each side has painted itself in a corner. It’s very public nature may have ultimately made matters worse, but was also necessary. The BOT will not publicly endorse any OCS proposal in the near term short of a private concern footing the entire bill because it will look like they caved – something they cannot afford. For OCS proponents there is no middle ground - they/we want it now! As a result there is a focus on issues, such as, feasibility, fan support, etc… That is the middle ground that may provide some justification for enough of the BOT and its constituency to be more accepting of the idea and allow the proponents to prove their point. That is where the battle will be ultimately won or lost. As time passes and UAB raises its own profile and finances the idea of an OCS and its viability will shift from the BOT to UAB and the BOT can gracefully acquiesce. It will take years, though…

... a lot of years...Good points, just the same, even though I don't trust this board as far as I could throw them collectively. Whatever criteria/expectations UAB Football meets or exceeds, they'll just come up with another excuse/test/obstacle/obstruction for them/us to overcome & continue to justify their denial/opposition to the stadium, nothing I've heard or seen since November of 2011 has changed that perception...

The BOT has stalked and attacked UAB's major men's athletic programs for the last 20 years and every time a UAB fan strikes back, they take on the mantle of "self defense" as though Bama's Crimson Tide (never themselves) is under attack. Ever since Joe Fine and his cronies launched the "Black Friday" offensive (timed to undermine any positive publicity from our 2 TOP NFL draft choices on Saturday when they had none), the Body of Work by that board has been consistently belligerent toward UAB men's sports. They or their puppets have done everything they could to single out UAB as a program to at least hobble if not eventually destroy. The first coaching change after UAB made clear its desire to hire Jimbo Fisher but we got THEIR choice in Callaway, the blocking of transfers from Bama to UAB (while not opposing the internal transfers of Taylor Britt and Michal Riley to Bama nor Star Jackson to a team they had to play that season) and now they take the OCS "off the table" without a public vote.

Smaug is correct -- It is all about football, football, football.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 02:39 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
07-12-2013 02:20 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 10:39 AM)ICB Wrote:  I have not given up on the stadium. Its now no longer a priority for me either, Mr. Watts. I am tired of waiting a "few more years." We waited and kept Callaway for a couple more years. We kept Watson Brown a couple more years.... just to get the stadium that we still have to wait a couple more years on. And keeping Watson, hiring/keeping Callaway is the reason why we have to raise attendance to support the stadium to begin with. So no more rallies, protests, sit-ins for me while our leaders carry the same banner as the BOT. There have been schools in much worse financial shape build a stadium. A soon as UAB raise the 1 Billion dollars, the bar will be reset and another hoop will be added and we will be looking for another president.

How about our great politicians that were doing work behind the scenes? Where are they today? I will be at games, support financially... but if our trusted leaders aren't publicly supporting a cause, then why should I?
04-clap204-clap204-clap2
If words are "food for thought", this is a damn buffet! +1...Great offering..."Behind The Scenes", my ass... Alabama State wasn't told to "wait a few more years", why does UAB always have to "wait a few more years?" Is that in "regular years" or "Updyke years?"
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 02:39 PM by Matrix.)
07-12-2013 02:34 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Reading this thread just fires me back up again!!!

BUCK FAMA!!!!
07-12-2013 03:15 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(07-12-2013 03:15 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Reading this thread just fires me back up again!!!

BUCK FAMA!!!!

Yep!
07-12-2013 05:03 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
It feeds the BOT's ammunition box when UAB fans express ill will toward the Crimson Tide teams in general. Keep the focus specifically on the body that is our enemy -- the system BOT. Attacking the teams in general helps the BOT defuse our passion by claiming UAB "hates" the Crimson Tide athletes and their teams when they really have nothing to do with our problems and perhaps rallies Tide fans to be anti UAB. It reminds me of a bumper sticker that said "My favorite team is Alabama and any team playing Auburn" (or vice versa). Until or unless the chain of university command changes, we are only going to succeed by forcing some accommodation to UAB's needs within the existing system.
07-12-2013 05:06 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.