Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BU vs SMU during Thanksgiving Rivaly Week, any takers?
Football Junky Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Baylor, UGA
BU vs SMU during Thanksgiving Rivaly Week, any takers?
Baylor and SMU have scheduled each other through 2019 except for next year in football. I would like to see if there is any interest from the SMU faithful in a SMU vs Baylor Thanksgiving week annual out off conference game. I believe it could be a real winner with fans particularly those that are a little older and give to the schools.

Thanksgiving week is normally associated with playing your biggest rival. TCU is the most logical in conference opponent but SMU offers the potential for far more passion and excitement. It was my favorite game every year when I attended BU in the 80s and would love for it to be a featured game each year.

Any interest? I am hoping CalallenStang or some of the former regular posters might have an opinion.
04-cheers
04-05-2013 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
RE: BU vs SMU during Thanksgiving Rivaly Week, any takers?
I'd love it, but I'm thinking that the AAC will have us playing Houston that week. The AAC needs to build up that rivalry and fast.

I'm still mad that the BU-SMU game this year got called off. I love playing Baylor - have a lot of friends that went there so it's always fun to banter with them about the game.

Would BU be interested in a series against SMU in basketball, now that we are committing to building a winning program?
04-06-2013 08:05 PM
Football Junky Offline
Water Engineer

(04-06-2013 08:05 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  I'd love it, but I'm thinking that the AAC will have us playing Houston that week. The AAC needs to build up that rivalry and fast.

I'm still mad that the BU-SMU game this year got called off. I love playing Baylor - have a lot of friends that went there so it's always fun to banter with them about the game.

Would BU be interested in a series against SMU in basketball, now that we are committing to building a winning program?

I would like SMU to be the principle out of conference rival in every sport. I see that in the same light as UGA vs. GT or USC vs. Clemson. Obviously the two schools are private and smaller but the ability to have a school with so much in common as a out of conference rival would be great for both schools. To me SMU vs. Baylor is the proverbial Methodist vs. Baptist softball game writ large.

The two schools have far more in common than not, and I really feel that they can help build the brand for both schools. BU gets to play in the Dallas market, and SMU gets a Big12 annual rival. Although the rivalry with TCU is older in football, playing you guys is just different and special. The reality is both schools recruit from similar student pools and neighborhoods in Texas.

BL: I’m just glad the football series appears to be back on and I hope will extend well beyond 2019. Good luck this fall, the efforts both schools have made to be relevant again is noteworthy.
04-07-2013 03:57 PM
Football Junky Offline
Water Engineer

(04-07-2013 03:57 PM)Football Junky Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 08:05 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  I'd love it, but I'm thinking that the AAC will have us playing Houston that week. The AAC needs to build up that rivalry and fast.

I would like SMU to be the principle out of conference rival in every sport. I see that in the same light as UGA vs. GT or USC vs. Clemson. Obviously the two schools are private and smaller but the ability to have a school with so much in common as a out of conference rival would be great for both schools. To me SMU vs. Baylor is the proverbial Methodist vs. Baptist softball game writ large.

The two schools have far more in common than not, and I really feel that they can help build the brand for both schools. BU gets to play in the Dallas market, and SMU gets a Big12 annual rival. Although the rivalry with TCU is older in football, playing you guys is just different and special. The reality is both schools recruit from similar student pools and neighborhoods in Texas.

BL: I’m just glad the football series appears to be back on and I hope will extend well beyond 2019. Good luck this fall, the efforts both schools have made to be relevant again is noteworthy.

Found this and thought it was interesting, I knew it was close but had no idea it was 50/50. That kind of record is ideal for rebuilding an old rivalry:
Baylor-SMU: All-Time Record
Games played 79
First meeting 1916
Last meeting September 2, 2012 (W 59-24)
Baylor wins 36
Baylor losses 36
Ties 7
Win % 50.0
04-07-2013 04:28 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

Wow, I had no idea that the record was 50/50. That's astounding!

I'm ready to get this series going again.
04-07-2013 11:11 PM
Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TIGERS
I don't really see where to place this-but CONGRATS on your BB class!
Keep up the great work-we all need to see progress like this-especially us in FB.
04-19-2013 09:53 AM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2013 09:53 AM)Pastnerized Wrote:  I don't really see where to place this-but CONGRATS on your BB class!
Keep up the great work-we all need to see progress like this-especially us in FB.

Thanks! Fuente will get Memphis there in FB too
04-20-2013 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.