Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newest Conference Rumor (2012-2020 Archive)
Bookmark and Share
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Newest Conference Rumor
(07-09-2020 05:30 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Guess it's gonna be a push for you guys because there isn't going to be an FCS Natty game in Frisco in 2021. Nobody's going!

Don’t worry. The courage of his (the Thousand Dollar Liar) convictions ended when asked to lay down some $$ to backup his lies. If he believed his own lies, he could call me on the bet and force me to make a big donation to JMU Athletics. Strangely, THAT “randomly” was the moment he decided to be the “bigger man” and ignore the conversation like Dukeman.

Is this “canceling” him? Am I “canceling” him now?
07-09-2020 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Or he could just acknowledge that he was blowing smoke & apologize for the lies.
07-09-2020 05:48 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
07-09-2020 06:23 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

He doesn't care...but he'll keep posting. But he won't address why he sprinted away when his lies were called out.
07-09-2020 07:09 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(07-09-2020 07:09 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  He doesn't care...but he'll keep posting. But he won't address why he sprinted away when his lies were called out.

Sprinted away? What lies did I say? I gave my opinion, which is what these boards are

And Maybe I just don’t get all butt hurt about message board posts or wish to engage in a juvenile online fight with someone having a tantrum.

I’ve had more directed at me by multiple people on here and in this thread alone, but I just brush it off because it’s just sports message board talk. It’s not a big deal.

Lighten up Francis.
I’m out with you. Carry on if you wish.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 07:39 PM by Duke Dawg.)
07-09-2020 07:36 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Sure. But isn’t it more juvenile to try to discredit someone, then ignore them challenging you on it?
07-09-2020 10:42 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(07-09-2020 11:29 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 08:10 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  another one:

Liberty

Syracuse - 21,671
Hampton - 18,944 (FCS in state)
New Mexico St - 18,674
Maine - 18,657 (FCS)
New Mexico - 17,101
Buffalo - 14,584

Hampton game was sandwiched between NM and Buffalo games. More people chose to go to in state rival than two FBS opponents

Actually, Hampton out drew three FBS programs.

Maine was homecoming. Hampton was four weeks (three games) earlier as "Family Weekend". Five of our first seven games were home, which tends to thin the crowds at times if you are demanding your fan base to show up every week.

Syracuse was the season opener with a debuting head coach making national headlines (for better, for worse, or for comedy in his hospital bed). New Mexico State was the season finale to determine bowl eligibility.

I would say many of the attendees want to come out and see season opening games, homecoming games, or probable wins. I think that is the reason so many FCS games have high attendance, more than just being nearby (not all of them are).
07-10-2020 05:57 AM
James Madison Offline
Special Teams

(07-09-2020 10:42 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Sure. But isn’t it more juvenile to try to discredit someone, then ignore them challenging you on it?
Can you guys pm each other or something? No one else cares
07-10-2020 06:08 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-10-2020 06:08 AM)James Madison Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 10:42 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Sure. But isn’t it more juvenile to try to discredit someone, then ignore them challenging you on it?

I understand & I’m not going to keep posting about it. My whole beef has been that guy’s attempt to discredit me has been quite public. I’m not going to keep it up though unless he keeps trying to post “one last thing” about it. I understand that continues to get exponentially more annoying to others, the more that I post on it.
07-10-2020 06:23 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(07-10-2020 06:08 AM)James Madison Wrote:  

This. Move on. Both of you think you're right. No use in bullying
07-10-2020 07:14 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2020 05:57 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Liberty

Syracuse - 21,671
New Mexico St - 18,674
Maine - 18,657 (FCS)
New Mexico - 17,101
Buffalo - 14,584

Hampton game was sandwiched between NM and Buffalo games. More people chose to go to in state rival than two FBS opponents

Maine was homecoming. Hampton was four weeks (three games) earlier as "Family Weekend". Five of our first seven games were home, which tends to thin the crowds at times if you are demanding your fan base to show up every week.

Syracuse was the season opener with a debuting head coach making national headlines (for better, for worse, or for comedy in his hospital bed). New Mexico State was the season finale to determine bowl eligibility.

I would say many of the attendees want to come out and see season opening games, homecoming games, or probable wins. I think that is the reason so many FCS games have high attendance, more than just being nearby (not all of them are).

yea, i get the first game and homecoming/parents weekend bump up.

I think the point i'm trying to make is there does not seem to be this significant up tick in attendance against the so-called better opponents. i looked at a wide range of G5 leagues, and it's just not there.

is there a bump? maybe. but it's small, if at all.

the indication on here has been that the stands will be overflowing with "better" opponents. Whether it is a P5 or NDSU type opponent.

I certainly see JMU's attendance getting bumped, but I believe we would be the exception, not the rule. This started because I questioned whether Charlotte's attendance will go through the roof for these upcoming games. the exceptions might be Duke (local rival - Blue Devil fans will help fill it up) and definitely UNC, which will probably outnumber Charlotte fans at that game.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 07:20 AM by Duke Dawg.)
07-10-2020 07:16 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Liberty Fans and atmosphere DNE Madison fans and atmosphere
07-10-2020 09:19 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(07-10-2020 07:16 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  

Liberty

Syracuse - 21,671
New Mexico St - 18,674
Maine - 18,657 (FCS)
New Mexico - 17,101
Buffalo - 14,584

I think the point i'm trying to make is there does not seem to be this significant up tick in attendance against the so-called better opponents. i looked at a wide range of G5 leagues, and it's just not there.

the indication on here has been that the stands will be overflowing with "better" opponents. Whether it is a P5 or NDSU type opponent.

I certainly see JMU's attendance getting bumped, but I believe we would be the exception, not the rule. This started because I questioned whether Charlotte's attendance will go through the roof for these upcoming games. the exceptions might be Duke (local rival - Blue Devil fans will help fill it up) and definitely UNC, which will probably outnumber Charlotte fans at that game.

Every school is a unique case so obviously there's no one size fits all explanation for the relationship between schools, attendance, and opponents. Our attendance since moving up isn't great but it's better than it was when we were FCS, no arguing that, and that's despite how terrible we've been. In our case we've only had one home P5 game in 2012 against Tech and that was a sellout, but have two scheduled in the near future against Baylor and Arizona State in 2021 and 2024, which I fully expect to sellout as well. You'd be amazed at the drawing power of a "name" program and of course it helps that Baylor is local. Heck we had a sellout against Navy in 2014. Also sellouts against UH and UTSA.

Unfortunately those great crowds have been due to the opponents but if we can ever get some hype regarding our own team we'll be looking pretty good all on our own. Heck in 2015 coming off of a winning season we got 24.5k for Prairie View A&M and then 27k for USM.

We're getting robbed of a great home slate this year with games against SMU, UTSA, Ohio, Louisiana, App, Arkansas St, and Coastal. I'd bet that SMU and UTSA would have sold out and that Ohio and App would've been 23k+ but now we'll never know.

Long Story short, using our program as an example I think Charlotte will definitely sellout and them some for these P5 games
07-10-2020 12:44 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Liberty

Syracuse - 21,671
New Mexico St - 18,674
Maine - 18,657 (FCS)
New Mexico - 17,101
Buffalo - 14,584

When was the last time NDSU paid us a visit? When was the last time a NDSU type opponent came to BFD during the regular season? The only regular season game (this is important) in somewhat of recent memory was Appy in 08. That same season we had Montana come for a playoff game that generated some buzz. Sure the Weber State game was a good game, but they are no NDSU. Though a blowout, the SHSU game was sort of a respectable opponent. The only other game that really drew some excitement was the Ticks game in 2015. Due to our being undefeated, having ESPN Game Day, Homecoming Weekend, and perfect weather made for a great atmosphere of college football. Duke Dawg, you act as though we have these NDSU type opponents/atmosphere a couple times per season. Which is far from the truth.

We need at least two "cannot miss" games every season. It can be a conference or OOC game, doesn't matter, but we need two every season. We're getting one every 4 or 5 years. This is simply not enough to keep our fans energized. Granted, we've got to continue putting a winning program on the field, without it, going into the final home game of the season against Appy or even NC State, when you've only won 3 games all year isn't going to sell-out.
07-10-2020 03:30 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2020 03:30 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

Liberty

Syracuse - 21,671
New Mexico St - 18,674
Maine - 18,657 (FCS)
New Mexico - 17,101
Buffalo - 14,584

When was the last time NDSU paid us a visit? When was the last time a NDSU type opponent came to BFD during the regular season? The only regular season game (this is important) in somewhat of recent memory was Appy in 08. That same season we had Montana come for a playoff game that generated some buzz. Sure the Weber State game was a good game, but they are no NDSU. Though a blowout, the SHSU game was sort of a respectable opponent. The only other game that really drew some excitement was the Ticks game in 2015. Due to our being undefeated, having ESPN Game Day, Homecoming Weekend, and perfect weather made for a great atmosphere of college football. Duke Dawg, you act as though we have these NDSU type opponents/atmosphere a couple times per season. Which is far from the truth.

We need at least two "cannot miss" games every season. It can be a conference or OOC game, doesn't matter, but we need two every season. We're getting one every 4 or 5 years. This is simply not enough to keep our fans energized. Granted, we've got to continue putting a winning program on the field, without it, going into the final home game of the season against Appy or even NC State, when you've only won 3 games all year isn't going to sell-out.

Wait, where did this turn into me talking about us?

The conversation started and I am commenting on Charlotte and there slate of home games.

I don’t think those games will move the needle for Charlotte, except for the two in state games. I decided to look at other g5 programs to see what bump they got for their “better” opponents because I was curious as to what the attendance was. And there wasn’t much of a bump at all.

The more I looked the more it appeared clear that geographic rivals were what provided a bump.

Where did I say or imply we have ndsu type atmosphere every week?
07-10-2020 04:50 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-10-2020 04:50 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 11:29 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Actually, Hampton out drew three FBS programs.

The conversation started and I am commenting on Charlotte and there slate of home games.

I don’t think those games will move the needle for Charlotte, except for the two in state games. I decided to look at other g5 programs to see what bump they got for their “better” opponents because I was curious as to what the attendance was. And there wasn’t much of a bump at all.

The more I looked the more it appeared clear that geographic rivals were what provided a bump.

This part is what fed me: "the indication on here has been that the stands will be overflowing with "better" opponents. Whether it is a P5 or NDSU type opponent."
07-10-2020 06:17 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2020 06:17 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-10-2020 04:50 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(07-10-2020 05:57 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Maine was homecoming. Hampton was four weeks (three games) earlier as "Family Weekend". Five of our first seven games were home, which tends to thin the crowds at times if you are demanding your fan base to show up every week.

This part is what fed me: "the indication on here has been that the stands will be overflowing with "better" opponents. Whether it is a P5 or NDSU type opponent."

I’m talking about the G5’s, like Charlotte that was brought up here, and referencing what has been a common theme by many that a huge plus of fbs is the ability to schedule better home games that will draw attention and big crowds.

With the thought in mind, I looked up the g5 attendance last year, and didn’t see a trend of a bump in their better games but a definite trend of a bump in regional/local games.

The very next sentence after the one you referenced, I said jmu could be an exception, because we are a well supported program.

But again, this started about Charlotte, who is not. And I do not think they will get a big bump for the Md and ole miss games. We shall see.

I’ll also say, everyone is convinced jmu will turn up in these games, and I think we will see a healthy bum. But a lot of those schools I looked at have traditionally had good support too, and I didn’t see much of a bump for them. So it’s not a lock.
07-10-2020 06:52 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

To get to the root of what you were seeming to get at BP, I believe their POV is that WM/Richmond/Delaware/Nova are better draws for us than P5 programs we might draw in FBS.

Of course, that’s probably a vast oversimplification since I said it in 2 sentences, but seems to be the thought.
07-10-2020 07:16 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

How do you guys explain the data I posted?

The only ones here even looking at that seem to be the fans from those schools chiming.

Go look at charlottes numbers from last year,

There highest attended game was Gardner Webb at 16,000+ which was 5,500 more than the Marshall game. How do you explain that?

And how do you explain that pattern happening over and over.

UAB
middle Tennessee (who drew more for there game against in-state Tennessee state than they did against DUKE who they played the very next week!)
Toledo
La tech
Utep
Southern miss
Western Kentucky
Arkansas state
Georgia southern
Northern Illinois
Umass

Look at the numbers I posted.

It’s a stretch to write that I’m implying that means I think we’ll draw more for William and Mary than say, Maryland. Where am I saying that? In fact, I’ve said to the contrary.

Althoug I disagree with dukester in thinking Harrisonburg would be buzzing like never before for duke football to come to town. Maybe hoops, sure. But not football. If va tech was coming, of course. That would be the toughest ticket ever. But again, that goes back to what I’ve been saying.

Regional rivalry matters. And that is the kind of league I want to be in in fbs. With a bunch of regional rivals.....odu, app state, Marshall, etc.,,so we don’t have data like I posted for these other schools....because then almost EVERY home game will be one of regional rivalry type game
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 07:46 PM by Duke Dawg.)
07-10-2020 07:44 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
OOC is part of the picture...Duke or any P5 from bordering states and VA would be a great draw- I just dont need to look at CLT or Lub numbers to know that
07-11-2020 02:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.